• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frostbite Technical Director on why Frostbite never came to Wii U

spekkeh

Banned
I wish people would stop ignoring this aspect of the situation. Where EA stands has been clear before the Wii U even launched and the negative down turn didn't really start until after the holiday launch as well. The bad sales of the Wii U at the moment has not influenced their support of the system. It could not have. For it to have been an influence they'd have had to make that decision in the last few months looking at the negative data from February to April. Sales were good in Nov and December. We only got Jan sales day in Feb. While also knowing Nintendo would be releasing their own titles, finally, that will certainly move hardware units and increase the user base in the second half of the year. The support was never there in the first place. That decision was made long before the first store rang up a Wii U sale.

This goes for all other publishers as well. Their suport level was already decided and the low sales now can't be used as an excuse. In fact it can be argued the low sales wouldn't be an issue had the games actually be been there to fill the gap.
I dunno it was known pretty early on, can't remember the conference but end of January thereabouts, that the Wii U software sales were absolutely worse than abysmal. Like even if you factor in the fact that they were late ports on a new console with a low userbase, they performed way below the lowest expectations. I think it was clear to EA that it would be very difficult for them to sell to the Nintendo demographic.

AzaK

I dunno it was known pretty early on, can't remember the conference but end of January thereabouts, that the Wii U software sales were absolutely worse than abysmal. Like even if you factor in the fact that they were late ports on a new console with a low userbase, they performed way below the lowest expectations. I think it was clear to EA that it would be very difficult for them to sell to the Nintendo demographic.

If they drew that conclusion then more fool them. All of the ports were later than on other systems and some were many months later. Most had already played them.

spekkeh

Banned
Neogaf -> internet -> Neogaf

It was Mario from here who said that at the DICE conf.

Pubs and devs never recoiled from PS3 like they seem to be with Wii U (though this is anecdotal). There was always the confidence that the numbers would get there over time with PS3. I'm not sensing that with Wii U.

I had a data point yesterday at lunch with a high budget Wii U game that was hoping to sell "millions" over time. It only managed "tens of thousands".

Neogaf -> internet -> Neogaf

It was Mario from here who said that at the DICE conf.

That comment is still as hyperbolic today as it was then, there was literally no 3rd party Wii u game that could ever have been expected to sell millions even if the Wii u launch had gone to plan

Mastperf

That comment is still as hyperbolic today as it was then, there was literally no 3rd party Wii u game that could ever have been expected to sell millions even if the Wii u launch had gone to plan

"Millions over time." If a game releases and only sells tens of thousands in its first month on a newly launched system, the logical forecast would be that it has very little chance of selling millions over time once the major games start coming out and launch software is forgotten.
They didn't mean that their goal was 3 or 4 months but that the momentum isn't there for it to ever reach the goal.

prag16

Banned
Did we ever figure out what game that could possible have been? Nothing really makes sense. I thought then and still think now that this claim was probably bs all along.

Nekofrog

Banned

Zombie U had the potential. It had the same overdone boring zombies that everyone still for some unexplainable reason the public still loves, was a neat idea, and of course is a new IP launch title. New IP launch titles generally do well.

Zombie U had the potential. It had the same overdone boring zombies that everyone still for some unexplainable reason the public still loves, was a neat idea, and of course is a new IP launch title. New IP launch titles generally do well.

Zombi u did have the potential for a million or 2 but it can't be that as its a fair bet its done at least a couple hundred k, it seems like its sales may have suffered from a couple of quite bizarely poor reviews and the massive online stink about bugs, could still eek its way to a million in the long run

Did we ever figure out what game that could possible have been? Nothing really makes sense. I thought then and still think now that this claim was probably bs all along.

If Red Steel could sell over one million on the Wii.

Why not a Zombie U which was also way better received among gamers and critics.

"Millions over time." If a game releases and only sells tens of thousands in its first month on a newly launched system, the logical forecast would be that it has very little chance of selling millions over time once the major games start coming out and launch software is forgotten.
They didn't mean that their goal was 3 or 4 months but that the momentum isn't there for it to ever reach the goal.

With the exception of zombi u (which it really doesn't make sense as being) none had the potential for millions over time, almost all the 3rd party games are annual franchise games so the next iteration of which would likely cut long term sales dead of

Wouldnt actually be surprised if the title in question is mass effect

CrunchyB

It makes no sense, other than the publisher being unrealistic. Which, considering these last few years, seems to be a common occurrence.

For the record, I think a WiiU (timed) exclusive of ME Trilogy would have done quite well.

The Boat

People seem to have a short memory. Once upon a time DICE actually came to Nintendo and offered the Battlefield franchise to be exclusive to the Gamecube. Nintendo turned it down because they could promise an online structure. Seems like Nintendo is to blame here.

http://mynintendonews.com/2011/11/2...tlefield-to-nintendo-as-a-gamecube-exclusive/
You're joking right? Did you even read what you quoted? They didn't turn it down, they were excited, but they didn't have the online infrastructure for it.

M°°nblade;57415028 said:
Because the Wii had an enormous install base advantage compared to the Wii U.

Not sure what's your point. No surprise that nothing sells well on the Wii U if Nintendo can't advertise the console in an effective way.

It makes no sense, other than the publisher being unrealistic. Which, considering these last few years, seems to be a common occurrence.

For the record, I think a WiiU (timed) exclusive of ME Trilogy would have done quite well.

Hell mass effect 3 could've done hallway decent had it not been for the trilogy

Mastperf

With the exception of zombi u (which it really doesn't make sense as being) none had the potential for millions over time, almost all the 3rd party games are annual franchise games so the next iteration of which would likely cut long term sales dead of

Call Of Duty seems more likely given the massive sales it receives. How much did CoD 2 go on to sell on the 360?

Call Of Duty seems more likely given the massive sales it receives. How much did CoD 2 go on to sell on the 360?

Certainly doubt the expectations for black ops 2 were 'millions' cod3 only did about a million each on Ps3 and Wii at launch
Any long term sales of black ops 2 will obviously be killed by ghosts

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

According to the NPD wiki, 250K in its first week and 1.4 million by October in 06. Then it looks like 2 million total by January 2008.

prag16

Banned
If that's what anybody at EA was expecting, they're batshit crazy, especially with the Trilogy coming out right before to cut it off at the knees.
Yeah, it would have had a shot. I would've double dipped without a doubt.

The franchise is far more popular now.

It also launched 3 weeks after the cod nuts had already bought their copies

It probably didn't help a few days before launch they decided to fuck over all the people who'd preordered and cancel the free nuketown map

I do wonder if they could've got the Wii u out in October if (while still paling in comparison to the ps360 versions) cod and asscree could've sold a lot more respectably

Mastperf

According to the NPD wiki, 250K in its first week and 1.4 million by October in 06.
Thank you. Maybe they were thinking that with the current popularity it could reach a couple of million. The franchise was unknown in the console world at that time and still sold well at the start of the new gen.
It also launched 3 weeks after the cod nuts had already bought their copies

I do wonder if they could've got the Wii u out in October if (while still paling in comparison to the ps360 versions) cod and asscree could've sold a lot more respectably
Maybe they assumed enough people had waited to get it on a new console. The series sales have declined so maybe they thought that might be one of the reasons.
Who knows, I might be completely wrong about it being CoD. It just seems like the only reasonable choice.

spekkeh

Banned
M°°nblade;57415028 said:
Because the Wii had an enormous install base advantage compared to the Wii U.

Eh? Both were launch games.

Although like Mastperf I think it was about Blops 2, which supposedly had the best version on the Wii U. And more than a million over time doesn't seem too far out there given that it's the only good and CoD at that FPS on the console.

Not sure what's your point. No surprise that nothing sells well on the Wii U if Nintendo can't advertise the console in an effective way.
I wasn't trying to make I point. I just tried to answer your question.

True, but I don't remember red steel's sales being frontloaded. And weren't there like, 16 million Wii's sold within the first year? There were a lot more opportunies for red steel to get picked up as a first game sale than zombiiU.

Although like Mastperf I think it was about Blops 2, which supposedly had the best version on the Wii U. And more than a million over time doesn't seem too far out there given that it's the only good and CoD at that FPS on the console.

if it truely was the best version of COD things may have been better but it does suffer from launch portitus which was well publicised so that didn't help

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I'm just going to comment here that I think we have debated the relative merit of the Espresso before, but since no one had real metrics to share, you had nearly convinced me when you started posting whatever benchmarks you had a while back.
Well, I have some metrics to share now:

Code:
$ echo "scale=4; 6.09968 * (729 / 1240) / 1.33314" | bc

More at the usual place.

ps: apropos, it costed my all my ps3 savegames, but that was my own mistake.

Argyle

Well, I have some metrics to share now:

Code:
$ echo "scale=4; 6.09968 * (729 / 1240) / 1.33314" | bc

More at the usual place.

It's late and I am kinda slow right now but what you are saying is that on this particular benchmark, 1 hardware thread on a PPE (or did you run this across multiple threads?) is 2.7 times faster than the projected performance of one Espresso core?

Durante

Next time you want to run some code on Cell, let me know, we have a blade with 2 that I can just SSH into, no need to mess with your PS3.

It's PowerXCell8i though, but IIRC that shouldn't make a difference regarding SP performance.

blu

It's late and I am kinda slow right now but what you are saying is that on this particular benchmark, 1 hardware thread on a PPE (or did you run this across multiple threads?) is 2.7 times faster than the projected performance of one Espresso core?
Yes, one thread. I don't expect SMT to change the results much, if any, but I'll run an SMT test later.

Next time you want to run some code on Cell, let me know, we have a blade with 2 that I can just SSH into, no need to mess with your PS3.

It's PowerXCell8i though, but IIRC that shouldn't make a difference regarding SP performance.
I'll keep that in mind, thanks.

blu

Wait, isn't the Wii U superior to the Xbox 360?
Define 'superior'. WiiU and 360 are specimen of different philosophies. If anything, WiiU is closer in design to the rumored Durango.

ed: in case you're asking about that particular test: on paper Xenon is 5x the (SIMD) FLOPS performance of Espresso.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I wish people would stop ignoring this aspect of the situation. Where EA stands has been clear before the Wii U even launched and the negative down turn didn't really start until after the holiday launch as well. The bad sales of the Wii U at the moment has not influenced their support of the system. It could not have. For it to have been an influence they'd have had to make that decision in the last few months looking at the negative data from February to April. Sales were good in Nov and December. We only got Jan sales day in Feb. While also knowing Nintendo would be releasing their own titles, finally, that will certainly move hardware units and increase the user base in the second half of the year. The support was never there in the first place. That decision was made long before the first store rang up a Wii U sale.

This goes for all other publishers as well. Their suport level was already decided and the low sales now can't be used as an excuse. In fact it can be argued the low sales wouldn't be an issue had the games actually be been there to fill the gap.
So if CoD and the like sold a bajillion EA still would have skipped the Wii U because they hate Nintendo more than they love money?

Top Bottom