• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FTL: Advanced Edition |OT|: Now on iPad (and free update on PC!)

How do you get the final Lanius achievement? I played pretty much an entire run with oxygen at 19% but I didn't get the unlock. Can it never go above 20%? A few times, I got hacked and the doors closed so the oxygen went back up. Can't really do shit about that...

mapla

Neo Member
Is there any chance of playing this game in Windows using a touch screen?

I have a touch screen laptop and that would be wonderful.

Anyway I'm going to try it.

Hesemonni

Banned
The feeling when you realize your O2 pod is damaged in the fight, you rush to repair it, but the oxygen is already so low that no matter if you mange to repair it the whole crew is still going to die.

demidar

The feeling when you realize your O2 pod is damaged in the fight, you rush to repair it, but the oxygen is already so low that no matter if you mange to repair it the whole crew is still going to die.

How bout when you warp in to an ion storm, and the game decides that your O2 module is less important than everything else and shuts it off.

Hesemonni

Banned
How bout when you warp in to an ion storm, and the game decides that your O2 module is less important than everything else and shuts it off.
Well this too :D Sometimes I power if down willingly to power weapons / shield. "Imma finish this quickly and then turn the power back on". Yeah, right ;)

mapla

Neo Member
I just prove it... nahhhh, It doesn't work properly with touch screen. To play in that way I have to use Ipad.

However I don't like to buy again the game when I've already it. Well, I don't like it but I want to use touch control, shit xD

dream

I just prove it... nahhhh, It doesn't work properly with touch screen. To play in that way I have to use Ipad.

However I don't like to buy again the game when I've already it. Well, I don't like it but I want to use touch control, shit xD

I didn't really want to double-dip on the iPad version either, but I ended up hesitantly doing so because I did want the new touch UI, and I don't regret it at all. It's spectacular.

mapla

Neo Member
I didn't really want to double-dip on the iPad version either, but I ended up hesitantly doing so because I did want the new touch UI, and I don't regret it at all. It's spectacular.

Think so? So you recommend to buy the Ipad version?

Its a bit expensive taking into account that I bought it in a Humble Bundle, but I guess it worth it.

Thanks.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Are there any tips that you guys can give to a FTL beginner like me? I feel like I do pretty well until I hit an enemy ship halfway through that I have no chance of beating. I'm playing on easy, too.

- Prioritize defensive upgrades in the early going. Shields and engine upgrades increase your survivability, and in the long run you're saving scrap that you'd spend on repairs by not taking the damage in the first place. Early investment in defense means more money invested into real ship upgrades by the time you reach the end of the game.

- You get more scrap if you can wipe out the crew of a ship without destroying it. Boarding teams, fire of all sorts, and the relatively rare anti-bio beam are the main ways to accomplish this, but there are some pretty esoteric ways like locking down the oxygen systems of an enemy ship with ion weapons that you can also fall back on. Getting together a reliable capturing method means more scrap, which means a better shot at winning.

- Float some scrap for most of the early game in case you find a major game-changing item for sale in a shop. Look for things like a Weapon Pre-igniter (all your weapons start fully charged after jumping) a Crew Teleporter (to get a boarding team built up for that delicious capture scrap), or one of the primo weapons (Burst Laser II and Ion Blast II were my traditional "buy immediately" tier pre-AE, some of the new weapons are mighty nice, too).

A lot of the game is just understanding what all the various systems and weapons are useful for and how to most effectively play the hand you're dealt. Most of this knowledge comes through playing, but hopefully that advice helps you enough to start accumulating that experience.

How do you get the final Lanius achievement? I played pretty much an entire run with oxygen at 19% but I didn't get the unlock. Can it never go above 20%? A few times, I got hacked and the doors closed so the oxygen went back up. Can't really do shit about that...

You can't ever let the O2 levels go above 20% from the time you make your first jump. If your doors get hacked you'll need to shut down oxygen production to stop the levels from rising.

When I got the achievement I basically just vented the entire ship except for the piloting controls. I got lucky enough to pick up another Lanius crew member so I had Lanius crew on weapons, shields, and engines with my sole non-Lanius crew member handling piloting duties. Towards the end I also picked up a mantis who spent the rest of the run sitting in the cockpit with my human pilot.

I like to think he didn't resent having to spend the entire duration of his tour of duty occupying the sole oxygenated square remaining on the ship.

As far as I know you have to lower oxygen to below 20% before your first jump and stay there for the rest of the game (until sector 8). I'm currently on an Easy run to get that achievement myself, it doesn't seem hard at all, just open all doors on the ship except the cockpit ones (to keep the human pilot alive). I'm not sure what system you got hacked (doors? oxygen generator?) or how that would affect your oxygen levels.

Are there any tips that you guys can give to a FTL beginner like me? I feel like I do pretty well until I hit an enemy ship halfway through that I have no chance of beating. I'm playing on easy, too.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=45775649&postcount=1191
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=45834724&postcount=1221
If you have any doubt that's not covered above, feel free to ask. :) Those are all for the classic version, though, so they don't cover the content in the Advanced Version (I might have to update them, but I already went over the post size limit and had to cut down...).

Its a bit expensive taking into account that I bought it in a Humble Bundle, but I guess it worth it.

I cannot fathom an universe where FTL for 10$ is anything remotely resembling "expensive"...

Firebrand

Keep oxygen in the cockpit? Meh. That's what clone bays are for! Harsh working conditions, but hey, I don't see any space unions around.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I cannot fathom an universe where FTL for 10$ is anything remotely resembling "expensive"...

Just look around you to see how such a universe might look like :p

Also color me surprised to see you in this thread ;)

Elija2

The start of the FTL community thread has some good general advice.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=491849

- Prioritize defensive upgrades in the early going. Shields and engine upgrades increase your survivability, and in the long run you're saving scrap that you'd spend on repairs by not taking the damage in the first place. Early investment in defense means more money invested into real ship upgrades by the time you reach the end of the game.

- You get more scrap if you can wipe out the crew of a ship without destroying it. Boarding teams, fire of all sorts, and the relatively rare anti-bio beam are the main ways to accomplish this, but there are some pretty esoteric ways like locking down the oxygen systems of an enemy ship with ion weapons that you can also fall back on. Getting together a reliable capturing method means more scrap, which means a better shot at winning.

- Float some scrap for most of the early game in case you find a major game-changing item for sale in a shop. Look for things like a Weapon Pre-igniter (all your weapons start fully charged after jumping) a Crew Teleporter (to get a boarding team built up for that delicious capture scrap), or one of the primo weapons (Burst Laser II and Ion Blast II were my traditional "buy immediately" tier pre-AE, some of the new weapons are mighty nice, too).

A lot of the game is just understanding what all the various systems and weapons are useful for and how to most effectively play the hand you're dealt. Most of this knowledge comes through playing, but hopefully that advice helps you enough to start accumulating that experience.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=45775649&postcount=1191
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=45834724&postcount=1221
If you have any doubt that's not covered above, feel free to ask. :) Those are all for the classic version, though, so they don't cover the content in the Advanced Version (I might have to update them, but I already went over the post size limit and had to cut down...).

Thanks for the tips, guys! All of this information is kinda overwhelming, but with time I'll probably get good at the game and this stuff will come naturally.

Thanks for the tips, guys! All of this information is kinda overwhelming, but with time I'll probably get good at the game and this stuff will come naturally.

Take a lesson from Dwarf Fortress, losing is fun! The key to enjoying FTL is to not let yourself get frustrated. When you know you're about to die, pause the game... give your crew one final pep talk and a salute to go out on.

Then you start over. You'll never get the same run through again. You may win from luck, but much more likely over time you'll work out what strategies work best for you.

dalin80

Banned

Well first thing is to stop playing on easy and get in normal mode and die repeatedly like a god-damned man. You are the last hope of a crushed people flying through a horrific universe with no real chance of success, embrace this... get balls deep in the despair. Only then when you have become one with the burning, the suffocation and being torn to shreds by sets of jagged jaws will you really know what success actually is.

There are no such thing as beginners in this, only fodder. Are you fodder? Once you know the answer to this you will know how to win... Or if not win die in slew of glorious ways fitting to the name of the federation.

The meat grinder made me the way I am today and one day you can hope to be equally as emotionally scarred.

God speed.

man this being portable makes it about 4x harder.

just lost 4 party members due to forgetting to get them out after fixing a crack because something interesting happened on tv lol.

When I got the achievement I basically just vented the entire ship except for the piloting controls. I got lucky enough to pick up another Lanius crew member so I had Lanius crew on weapons, shields, and engines with my sole non-Lanius crew member handling piloting duties. Towards the end I also picked up a mantis who spent the rest of the run sitting in the cockpit with my human pilot.

Same thing I did, except I didn't find another Lanius so I never had anybody operating the shields. I also didn't have cloaking.

Easiest win I've ever had though. Vulcan Chain Laser, Chain Laser, Weapon Pre-Igniter, Automated Re-Loader, Zoltan shield, and bombs just for fun. I'm guessing the Vulcan alone is the most powerful weapon in the game, but shaving off 12 seconds of warm up? Machine gun firing lasers in under a second each, indefinitely? I didn't even take any damage from the boss.

Ilúvatar;106796618 said:
Does anyone know what manning Sensor and Door systems does in Advanced? It seems to me that it actually results in a debuff...?

It temporarily upgrades them to the next level.

You could have somebody man the sensors for a moment to use teleporting or mind control, then go back to their usual system.

Got rofl stomped my first run through. I'm totally rusty at this! New weapons seem like they can really open up some strategy though. Flak Cannons + Beam Weapons + cloak seems like it could be devastating.

I can't seem to so I don't think so. Really surprised it isn't an option.
Maybe it just screws with the balance too much. It was a big complaint for myself and many streamers I watched. Oh well. Occasionally you stumble across those traders who will swap it for scrap or beg for some. No matter.

Hacking is broken. I cruised through the entire game up until the Rebel Flagship.

It attached to my weapons system and wouldn't let me fire a single shot. It timed up perfectly with when I disabled their shield system with my hacking system.

Unicorn

I take it an Android version is on the horizon as well? Would love a version on my Nook. Gotta get back in on PC now it's updated.

Proven

Got it on iPad. It's a double dip but these guys deserve more money thrown at them. One tip for the iPad version I haven't seen mentioned:

So you know how a weapon is in white, you tap it and it turns red so that you can aim it? If you tap it one more time then the weapon will turn yellow signifying that it's on autofire individually. You'll get the usual yellow targeting reticle instead of red when you select where to aim, and the usual recharge bar will be in yellow instead of white. So basically, double tap a weapon before firing to turn on individual autofire. If you tap a third time you'll deselect it.

backlot

Hacking is broken. I cruised through the entire game up until the Rebel Flagship.

It attached to my weapons system and wouldn't let me fire a single shot. It timed up perfectly with when I disabled their shield system with my hacking system.

You might want to just jump away if that happens. Maybe next time it'll attach to a less crucial system.

Just finished a run with the Slug B on Normal and goddamn that thing was cursed. From the moment I got a medbay and stopped relying on the Healing Burst weapon I'd lose crew members left and right. Lost at least 3-4 Zoltan to random shots, lost all of my original Slug crew members, literally couldn't board with the thing for at least 4 sectors as my crew was usually in a perpetual state of being deceased (fyi - it's a boarding centric ship)

I got extremely lucky with weapon drops (bought 2 Flak I's and got a Burst Laser II as a surrender reward along with picking up an Ion Bomb down the road) but my crew always functioned as a skeleton crew, one dude on pilot, one dude on engines, one dude on shields. Going beyond 3 meant shit went wrong. Picked a couple Rocks to take out the Missile weapon on the flagship and I killed them off while they were still sitting in the enemy ship. Final moments of flagship involved my Zoltan being killed by boarders and my Pilot literally dying due to asphyxiation in the last moments as he ordered the final attack that would bring it down. Lone survivor was our lonely human engines guy, Fish. Bless his soul.

All and all, don't use clone bay because it makes you bad at the game. Time to play around with the Slug C

Keep oxygen in the cockpit? Meh. That's what clone bays are for! Harsh working conditions, but hey, I don't see any space unions around.

Hahah, that's what I was going to do as well, until I realized the 20% margin meant I could keep single rooms with air. :D

Just look around you to see how such a universe might look like :p

I meant more like "RIGHTFULLY considered, but yeah. :D

Also color me surprised to see you in this thread ;)

_a_kon_23__best_brofist_by_caninehybrid-d52kqzc.gif

There's something weird about the flagship's hacking. Sometimes it seems to stick on a system for the entire duration of the jump fight, other times it seems to switch systems somehow. I have no clue what prompts this. Also, I'm assuming there's no way to switch YOUR hacking drone to another system, even using an additional drone part, right?

The best way to counter the flagship's hacking is to use your own, if you have it. Of course, that prevents you from using it yourself to wreak havoc on it, for the first stage at least. I actually love that they added it to the first stage, which was typically the easiest one due to no power surges; now all three stages are more or less balanced. On the other hand, this might prove an exceedingly high skill wall for new players to climb.

Hesemonni

Banned
Rebel flagship is such bullshit with its hacking :D I've yet to beat him even on easy with advanced content turned on, yet alone on higher difficulties.

Are Nebulas better risk/reward options? It seems to me that while riskier, you can explore more places in nebulas as the rebel fleet progresses slowly. I think, overall, I could get more of nebulas than any other places.

I'm testing the Osprey for the first time (in easy mode...). Well, that's a beast of a space ship. I have 4 batteries of laser weapons plus a 20s cool down huge laser beam that rips through shields and, so far, it ripped everything to shred.

This game is so awesome :)

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Rebel flagship is such bullshit with its hacking :D I've yet to beat him even on easy with advanced content turned on, yet alone on higher difficulties.

Yeah, the hacking is something else in this new edition. During my first run on the boss he not only locked out my weapons but also locked down the weapons room on the Kestrel, so that my crew had to bust down the doors in order to move around the ship. Fires raging everywhere, systems going down, hacking almost seems overpowered as a weapon.

I still managed to beat him though. :D

You can use hacking yourself to disable it. You can also try to jump away as someone else suggested and try again and hope it hits somewhere less important.

I've beaten them three times now (on easy) in advanced. You just have to take advantage of the new features as well :)

(edit) You can also stealth at the start of the match to keep him from getting a lock to use it.

I barely completed my third Normal Lanius attempt a few days back; it was truly harrowing. Flagship's first stage is really scary now.

Then I started an Easy Lanius run to get achievements for the unlock. Holy crap is it truly easy. I got the 600 scrap saved achievement by sector 5. Obviously the one with having hacking, mind control and battery was very easy too. However, I too couldn't get the under 20% oxygen one, even though I'm pretty sure oxygen levels never rose above 15% during the entire run after my very first jump. Perhaps it's bugged?

Not sure whether to finish the run or suicide. I still have two early Easy runs as my highest scores (those freaking mountains of scrap) and it drives me nuts. The score penalty should be much higher, at least 50%.

-MD-

Was there ever any balance done to FTL? I played it for 10-15 hours awhile ago but it felt like it had huge RNG and if I didn't have right team/gear for whatever random end-game fights I got into I was doomed and I didn't like that too much. Felt like 90% of my runs were pointless.

Piano

Banned
I barely completed my third Normal Lanius attempt a few days back; it was truly harrowing. Flagship's first stage is really scary now.

Then I started an Easy Lanius run to get achievements for the unlock. Holy crap is it truly easy. I got the 600 scrap saved achievement by sector 5. Obviously the one with having hacking, mind control and battery was very easy too. However, I too couldn't get the under 20% oxygen one, even though I'm pretty sure oxygen levels never rose above 15% during the entire run after my very first jump. Perhaps it's bugged?

Not sure whether to finish the run or suicide. I still have two early Easy runs as my highest scores (those freaking mountains of scrap) and it drives me nuts. The score penalty should be much higher, at least 50%.

I think some of the unlocks may be bugged - I finally beat the mothership for the first time the other day (yeah yeah yeah) and it didn't unlock the Federation Cruiser like it's supposed to.

demidar

Was there ever any balance done to FTL? I played it for 10-15 hours awhile ago but it felt like it had huge RNG and if I didn't have right team/gear for whatever random end-game fights I got into I was doomed and I didn't like that too much. Felt like 90% of my runs were pointless.

It often feels too much like the enemy has 80% dodge chance.

LProtag

I beat the game with the Red-Tail! First time ever!

If only I beat it with something that would unlock a new ship for me...

Er, I guess it was supposed to unlock the Federation ship, but that never happened.

It often feels too much like the enemy has 80% dodge chance.

Get the enemy pilot out of the cockpit and problem solved. Mind control is AWESOME for this. So is hacking, also any weapon that sets fire somewhere (inevitably they go rushing to put that out). Heck, just target their bridge or engine room first if you don't have anything else. Killing their mobility/dodge should always be a high priority.

There is a reason why scanners are an amazing upgrade you should almost always get.

Mindlog

Did anyone else delete their profile just so they could unlock everything all over again with the new unlock system?
I'm pretty close to backing up my old profile for a different reason. Records aren't sorted by Vanilla/AE. In Vanilla FTL it's really easy to visit every system because the Rebel fleet is a pushover. In AE there's much more risk thanks to ASB.

Consequently all of my old high scores are above 6000 and right now I'm not even close to that when playing AE.
I think some of the unlocks may be bugged - I finally beat the mothership for the first time the other day (yeah yeah yeah) and it didn't unlock the Federation Cruiser like it's supposed to.
There's a new quest line to unlock it. I completed it on accident. It's a pretty neat event.

demidar

Get the enemy pilot out of the cockpit and problem solved. Mind control is AWESOME for this. So is hacking, also any weapon that sets fire somewhere (inevitably they go rushing to put that out). Heck, just target their bridge or engine room first if you don't have anything else. Killing their mobility/dodge should always be a high priority.

There is a reason why scanners are an amazing upgrade you should almost always get.

I know that, but that depends on whether you can find that stuff in stores, which is up to luck and my luck sucks.

God, do we really need to go through this again? The game's been out for nearly two years, I don't have the energy for "FTL is all luck!" discussions anymore, especially after all this.

Sotha Sil

When the goal of the player is reaching a certain point and beating a boss, the random aspect of the game is a feature, not a lack of balance - at least, that's how I see it. I like the fact that some runs are a lot harder than others; in fact I generally have more fun when things are harsh, makes the victories and lucky breaks that much sweeter.

I also try to come up with different attitudes for my crews, even if this roleplay-lite often ends up screwing me over. An altruistic run, say, when you don't finish ships that give up and help the distressed; the rogue run, where you show no pity. Again, variety is the spice of that game. Too much balance and min-maxing would be boring.

edit: God the iPad port is a thing of beauty. I've mentioned it before but I can't get over the simplicity of it all.

Haunted

I actually thought they would take this opportunity to add Steam achievements to the PC version. Oh well!

Woorloog

Banned
I WON! (On easy)
But a crew member died the second after getting the achievement...

EDIT, oh and i got Stealth Cruiser, didn't even notice that really...

Proven

It's something that can't be stated enough, but once you get into the later half of the sectors there becomes three key systems: weapons, shields, and piloting/engines. I hear in Hard Mode enemies like to runaway more often so you have to be able to take out their evasion from earlier.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.

They've changed the unlock condition for that one, apparently. I accidentally did the unlock quest for it on one of my runs. You unlock it by doing an event in a rebel-controlled sector where
you find a shipyard. Investigate the shipyard and you'll have a fight with an under construction flagship. Win and you'll delay the fleet, get a ton of stuff, and unlock the cruiser.

Top Bottom