• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Funeral for my PS3

maxmars

Manmademan said:
uh..leaving your wii "on" and having the Ps3 folding at 100% capacity for six solid weeks isnt even in the same ballpark, it's in a completely different league.

Yes, and also, the Wii was built with that feature in mind, being able to stay "on" 24/7 while consuming very little power.

Cdammen: I do that because it doesn't use much power and we use it in the family to exchange messages, plus it keeps all the channels updated (like weather).

Damn . . . .

<Flips on TV . . . 157 Work Units and still folding fine . . . I'm currently #18 on the NeoGAF team>

Now I'm kinda scared to let it keep running. It is well ventilated but it has been on for weeks on end. Folding most of the time but occasional breaks to play Blu-Ray movies.

Should I quit folding?

joesmokey

During the first week of my folding I too experienced some sort of problem with the PS3 freezing (unable to do anything in the folding application, see the home menu, etc.). Luckily I was able to just completely turn the system off and back on again, and haven't had problems playing games or watching movies. Unfortunately I fear running the application again, and I have yet to do so.

Ranger X

speculawyer said:
I have a US PS3 in the USA territory, so I won't run into any warranty repair hassles that Cheesemeister may have.

Ok i see. Well to me, only the need for repair is an hassle.

Not only i don't really feel sharing my connection i don't feel like sharing my electricity either or again to accelerate the aging of my over-expensive PS3.
Help the cure of cancer is cool but it's too far away from me right to catch my interest. I prefer to give money elsewhere to other causes. To each is own i guess ;)

coffin.jpg

Do not stand at my grave and weep
I am not there; I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the diamond glints on snow,
I am the sun on ripened grain,
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning's hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circling flight.
I am the soft starlight at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry,
I am not there; I did not die.

Ranger X

shame on us
doomed from the start
may god have mercy
on our dirty little hearts
shame on us
for all we have done
and all we ever were
just zeros and ones

SCEA returned my PS3 unserviced, claiming on the enclosed form that they'd received the wrong item. Calling up customer service, they explained that the troubleshooting equipment used to repair systems are unable to operate on out-of-region consoles. Although this struck me as highly absurd, I was resigned to sending the PS3 back to Japan for service.

Upon getting off the phone with SCEJ after a too-long phone call in Japanese, I managed to arrange for one of my friends in Japan to relay the PS3 to Sony and back for me. He was even nice enough to upgrade Ouendan 2 for me while at it. So awesome.

A grand total of two months, nineteen days, and $157 in round-trip shipping later, my PS3 arrived back safely today. Welcome back, PS3.

ps3return.jpg

Welcome back.

ps3return2.jpg

Mau ®

:D Damn that PS3 shine never gets old!

I had never seen a 20 GB before in pics, theyre prettier than I thought!

Anyway Cheese, its a great day to get your PS3 back :D

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Get yourself an HDTV. I've heard PS3s get depressed and die when connected to an SD screen.

tanod

when is my burrito
You got a lot of catchin' up to do on the folding. I passed you a bit ago. Are you going to start again?

No_Style

Cheesemeister said:
Not while I've got the thought of up and moving to Japan in the back of my head... ^^;;;

Dude. Did they ever tell you why it died? Was it because of Folding@Home?

Good to see that there's a happy ending to this story though! :D

tanod said:
You got a lot of catchin' up to do on the folding. I passed you a bit ago. Are you going to start again?

Perish the thought.

ps3folding.jpg

No_Style said:
Dude. Did they ever tell you why it died? Was it because of Folding@Home?

Good to see that there's a happy ending to this story though! :D

I've got to sit down and translate the note a little more thoroughly. I glanced over it and it said they'd fixed it and were terribly sorry for the trouble it caused, in true Japanese fashion.

tanod said:
His BD drive died.

:'( That's a shame about your WU amount, Cheese.

Ah, that bites.

The WU amount of 0 is due to a formatted hard drive. Like I said in the OP, I'd logged 130 WUs. It's just been my PC since the PS3 died.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Well, the good news is that SCEA's in-warranty exchange program is relatively free and painless.

Kittonwy

Banned
Cheesemeister said:
SCEA returned my PS3 unserviced, claiming on the enclosed form that they'd received the wrong item. Calling up customer service, they explained that the troubleshooting equipment used to repair systems are unable to operate on out-of-region consoles. Although this struck me as highly absurd, I was resigned to sending the PS3 back to Japan for service.

Upon getting off the phone with SCEJ after a too-long phone call in Japanese, I managed to arrange for one of my friends in Japan to relay the PS3 to Sony and back for me. He was even nice enough to upgrade Ouendan 2 for me while at it. So awesome.

A grand total of two months, nineteen days, and $157 in round-trip shipping later, my PS3 arrived back safely today. Welcome back, PS3.

Welcome back.

Welcome back to the PS3 community!!! WELCOME!!!
gladtomeetya.gif

Top Bottom