• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

funny: Settlers 7 US vs EU boxarts

farnham said:
is this die siedler..?
It wants to be, yeah.

another try for some more screens :lol

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

The game is out end of March! You can already preorder it on Steam.

The EU box art looks like it's from a German board game, which (last I checked) are actually quiet popular in the US with the same sort of crowd that would play a Settlers game. Wonder why they changed it so drastically?

Going to wait for reviews but will probably pick this up depending on how much free time I have at the end of the month.

AndyD

aka andydumi
farnham said:
is this die siedler..?

Yep. Fantastic series early on. Recently, so so. Those screens looks fantastic. And knowing the series, the Euro cover is much more representative.

Fragamemnon said:
The EU box art looks like it's from a German board game, which (last I checked) are actually quiet popular in the US with the same sort of crowd that would play a Settlers game. Wonder why they changed it so drastically?
The answer is VIDEO GAMES

Effect said:
It does. It's also one huge lie as well.

Yeah, the dude expecting some sort of conquest game is in for a suprise when the first things he winds up doing in the game is setting up sausage production chains or what not. :lol

Dave Long

Banned
tokkun said:
OR...maybe it is actually representative of the different cultural viewpoints on the impact of colonization during the time of European empire building. The Euro cover represents the whitewashing of history by former imperial powers that are guilty over the long-lasting impacts of their colonies in Africa and Latin America. On the other hand, the US box art shows the brutality and violence that come part & parcel with settling a new land, representing the US Anti-Imperialism movement of the 20th century.
medical_dragon_gaf_rev.png

I recommend all of you who are interested in this game now to try the demo first.
Especially if you love the Settlers series.

Do not buy this game without trying out the demo!

@Frag: The game adopts a lot of gameplay elements out of German board games so this is a great achievement if you see this through the boxart ;)
You can get Victory Points for
  • most money
  • most sectors
  • most soldiers
  • most trade routes
and a lot of other things. There are a lot of them in the game.

It's completely different from previous Settler games imho. But it's a lot of fun. That's all I can say so far :(

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
The point is not which cover looks better, but that the US cover is misleading and follows the US marketing trend of making things look badass/masculine/violent/serious/mature when the actual product isn't. See Shiren and Kirby covers. The Settlers series has always been a cartoony style as you can see in the screenshots.

66793-1.jpg
925583_94826_front.jpg

Enosh

zerokoolpsx said:
It's like they're going for a different audience with the discrepancy of the two box art.
I still don't see how

there is basicly nothing that would present such a radical difrence in culture betwen most of Europe and the US, hell the concept of masculinity (the white hero with short brown hair, muscular etc) now popular in the US is the one comming from the ancient greek heroes and is just as popular over here

kids play with guns and play soldiers and play about killing stuff, just like in the US, I don't see anything that would present such a radical difrence betwen the 2 cultures, given that they are build on the same concept and have the same idea about personal power, admiration of everything military and the same idea of masculinity/hereoism

tokkun said:
OR...maybe it is actually representative of the different cultural viewpoints on the impact of colonization during the time of European empire building. The Euro cover represents the whitewashing of history by former imperial powers that are guilty over the long-lasting impacts of their colonies in Africa and Latin America. On the other hand, the US box art shows the brutality and violence that come part & parcel with settling a new land, representing the US Anti-Imperialism movement of the 20th century.

Post of the day!

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
What the fuck is wrong with the American video game market where everything has to be for little boys pretending to be big tough army men?

Gravijah

Princess Skittles said:
What the fuck is wrong with the American video game market where everything has to be for little boys pretending to be big tough army men?

When selling a product, you want someone who would normally look over your game to buy it. So you put something that piques the interest of a wide variety of people, and there you go. It's why there's so much generic shit, because people that are interested in it already don't care about the cover.

Walshicus

Few weeks back I was randomly perusing Joystiq; got a bit depressed when I came across an article in which the writer essentially admitted to not really knowing what the Settlers series was, only that it was popular in Europe.

tokkun said:

Wow, very nice

bjork

tokkun said:

medical_dragon_gaf_rev.png

[edit - badly beaten :lol]

Kabouter

Caesar III said:
I recommend all of you who are interested in this game now to try the demo first.
Especially if you love the Settlers series.

Do not buy this game without trying out the demo!
Is the performance improved over the beta?

It's completely different from previous Settler games imho. But it's a lot of fun. That's all I can say so far :(
Indeed.

Sir Fragula said:
Few weeks back I was randomly perusing Joystiq; got a bit depressed when I came across an article in which the writer essentially admitted to not really knowing what the Settlers series was, only that it was popular in Europe.
:lol
Wow.

Azerach

Banned
tokkun said:

or.... It could be representative of modern day cultural differences, with europe being more concerned with social values etc. and US has this culture of "get rich or die trying".

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Enosh said:
those are both european (pegi thingy)...

The first one is what the publisher first tried to pull on the buying public. The second is the final product after they wisened up. Not that the 2nd is such a great cover, but it's definitely more indicative of the actual product (anime-style srpg) than the first abomination (character does not look like the in-game character at all; one might think it to be a Devil May Cry type game, etc).

I wonder how many people will buy it thinking its all dark and gritty only to play it and find out its all colorful.

I want to see what they did with the screenshots on the back of the box.

Azerach said:
or.... It could be representative of modern day cultural differences, with europe being more concerned with social values etc. and US has this culture of "get rich or die trying".

tokkun's was much better.

dekjo

Fragamemnon said:
Yeah, the dude expecting some sort of conquest game is in for a suprise when the first things he winds up doing in the game is setting up sausage production chains or what not. :lol

I'd assume only with the meat of my butchered enemies. The box art promises it.

Azerach said:

tokkun > quoting 50 cent

You can't really think you were countering with something worthwhile. Unless you actually believe that ridiculous comment.

Top Bottom