• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Furry-GAF

Tarazet

I'm sorry if I went overboard my friend.

It is kind of upstaging the actual furries in this thread (there are some I didn't know before), but hey, it's not my thread, I can't control what happens in here. All I can do is interject where I feel like I'm qualified and answer direct questions posed in good faith.

Narag

Blacksad was given as an example of furry, so that someone could prop up something high brow as being in the genre when it isn't. Ookami-kun may want to believe that there are critically-acclaimed furry comics, when in fact they are just critically-acclaimed comics with anthropomorphic characters.

The co-opting of media has always bothered me. In some silly flash from way back when where the furry community was being trolled from the inside, a quiz question is asked:

Which is the first furry movie?

A) Disney's Robin Hood
B) Animalympics
C) The Secret of Nimh

The answer is, of course:
Trick question. The answer is none! All were made for the general public and not furry fandom

G-Fex

I like to consider myself the friend of the furries here and as such I am sorry if I disrupted an....Wait you guys are posting some scandelous shit, I'm not sorry at all. It fits the thread.

I'm glad there's good furries out there, I'm glad there's kind furries out there that are not terrible people whom I can judge the whole genre on, I knew furries whom were Heterophobic,paedophiles, narccisistic genuinely sick people. I'm glad there's those that aren't extreme.

Uchip

Banned
I like to consider myself the friend of the furries here and as such I am sorry if I disrupted an....Wait you guys are posting some scandelous shit, I'm not sorry at all. It fits the thread.

two wrongs do not make a right
and you know damn well that what you posted was super wrong

Tarazet

I'm glad there's good furries out there, I'm glad there's kind furries out there that are not terrible people whom I can judge the whole genre on, I knew furries whom were Heterophobic,paedophiles, narccisistic genuinely sick people. I'm glad there's those that aren't extreme.

I didn't ask you to be sorry, that's just how these threads go, whether it's you or someone else. I let it be known that I'm a furry and I'm willing to talk about it, I sometimes get some interesting back and forth, Kaijima posts his long-winded but very informed and well-stated thing and usually gets mostly ignored, and then everyone else tries to inject as much shock value and pop culture references as possible without getting banned. I've been on GAF long enough (over 8 years now), I know the pattern.

I've met some pretty sketchy furs too. I think I probably qualify as one myself, for that matter.

G-Fex

two wrongs do not make a right
and you know damn well that what you posted was super wrong

I suppose Uchip. Wait, we're not friends so ....

I didn't ask you to be sorry, that's just how these threads go, whether it's you or someone else. I let it be known that I'm a furry and I'm willing to talk about it, I sometimes get some interesting back and forth, Kaijima posts his long-winded but very informed and well-stated thing and usually gets mostly ignored, and then everyone else tries to inject as much shock value and pop culture references as possible without getting banned. I've been on GAF long enough (over 8 years now), I know the pattern.

I've met some pretty sketchy furs too. I think I probably qualify as one myself, for that matter.

Well I'm glad to meet you Tara, I knew a lot of people and furs are some of them, some good including Ginger whom I was a fan of, I miss her.

I do play around a lot but I'm not as bad as kraftwerk.

Prax

still would be nice to see examples what you consider "doing it right"
the fact that they were shaded realistically sets them apart from most which cant even achieve that without looking like dogface mc'steroids

Haha, that would mean I will have to wade through a lot of art I don't like though!
It's very difficult just because now I have to find styles I like in a subgenre.. so sorry if my pickings are slim! And for the record, I don't like many realistic renderings due to uncanny ugly.

I already showed Tracy Butler. I pretty much liked her stuff. She sometimes tends to more realism than I prefer (not in this pic, but sometimes she renders lots of fur detail in CG images), but I think stuff like this is really cute and has a good balance (lips not defined, animal-like muzzles, though made to fit on humanoid body, assumption of fur on body):
stream.jpg

Here are some Starfox examples because I can limit my search better.
I like anthros that look more like cute animals.. aka stocky, furry, snouty/muzzly~! And cartoony.
starfox_exercise_by_inubiko-d352s3c.jpg

2483606883_small_1.jpg

Krystal here, though her head is in a style I like, it doesn't particularly go with the rest of her body propotions, but I guess it's still ok:
separate_ways_by_nmrbk-d4dov3t.jpg

Ignore that Krystal is trying to sexually seduce you in this one. The style is otherwise OK to me.. well, aside from small mouth and chin looks a bit too dainty, but I'm trying not to be picky here (besides, official art of her has this problem too):
Krystal_by_nejinoki.jpg

Very animal-like stuff.. This is okay though sometimes annoying (tries too hard to be unique with markings, sometimes hair gets ridiculous):
Fursona_2009_by_Cekx.jpg

This hurts my head (tries WAY too hard to stick human stuff on an animal, like dyed hair, piercings, clothing, wtf tattoo on fur... etc)
New_fursona___Sakuya_by_eldwin_black.jpg

Too human (basically ears and big fluffy tail stuck on human. "Subtle" snout and giant eyes not selling it for me):
patricia___fursona_by_saruke-d3eqw0h.jpg

Too animal (so many realistic bird parts! Why!-- And then added wings with a pair of arms! And hair growing out of realistic head! Too much.. conflict!)
Annikas_Fursona_by_ThaliaAngel91.jpg

You do not know how much terrible stuff I had to go through to find examples. Hahaha..
I would try to find a GOOD realistic example--I saw one once! IT EXISTS!, but that apparently is too hard for me to find right now.
Again, I have picky stylistic preferences. There's plenty of technically good stuff that I overlook or don't like because the style in general is too "fluffy" or "human" or "frivolous".

Maybe If I find better examples, I'll post them. =_=

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Meh. I hate catgirls/kemonomimi. I mean, go like human or go like furry, but liking kemonomimi is essentially lying to yourself.

Also I don't really give a damn on female designs. I'm more concerned on the male ones looking burly and beastly.

And people dissin' on Blacksad? Fuck this shit.

Uchip

Banned
Meh. I hate catgirls/kemonomimi. I mean, go like human or go like furry, but liking kemonomimi is essentially lying to yourself.

Also I don't really give a damn on female designs. I'm more concerned on the male ones looking burly and beastly.

whoa
calm down there
you're welcome to like buff animal men but no need for the obscenities lol

and kemonomimi can be good if it actually has a point to it
some of my favourite characters are in that style and it makes sense
cant say that there are any stories/animated characters featuring full anthro that are half as good

G-Fex

What about Kat? She was obviously in love with doggy Krueger and she was like human/catish

Boss Doggie

Eh, it's my personal view on kemonomimi, really hate that shit. Also it's because a lot of people can't draw animals properly so they resort to that... and they said "furries are easier to draw", pah!

What about Kat? She was obviously in love with doggy Krueger and she was like human/catish

There's no such thing as Kat.

There is however Dr. Swan and she's an alien.

G-Fex

Eh, it's my personal view on kemonomimi, really hate that shit. Also it's because a lot of people can't draw animals properly so they resort to that... and they said "furries are easier to draw", pah!

There's no such thing as Kat.

There is however Dr. Swan and she's an alien.

HOW DARE YOU SIR. I liked Power Rangers: SPD. Kat was a gorgeous woman.

Boss Doggie

maybe for deviantart

...and Japan actually.

Then again I consider most artists who can draw anthro for Japanese artists good since they don't go the easy way and do those "sharp-chinned kemonomimi" characters.

Speaking of which, Japan enjoys so much anthro art because it's pretty much part of their culture.

G-Fex

That's true, actually. Sure it's not a general rule, but it's a "mostly" rule.

And Doggy there looks crap and has a wife.

I prefer Japanese Doggie with a woman going after him named Swan.

Really? I thought the american doggy looked great, japanese one looks...not so much. Maybe I'm wrong though I don't know.

amazing they still have the doggie/woman relationship in the japanese show?

DonMigs85

...and Japan actually.

Then again I consider most artists who can draw anthro for Japanese artists good since they don't go the easy way and do those "sharp-chinned kemonomimi" characters.

Speaking of which, Japan enjoys so much anthro art because it's pretty much part of their culture.

I ♥ Pom Poko

pompoko.jpg

Boss Doggie

I prefer aesthetics though, and Doggie looked better. Also he is played by Tetsu Inada - that's automatically better because any main character he plays becomes x10000 manlier.

what's Blacksad?

I just posted it here =/

Nice to see mr.niche interest himself being so open minded about what other people like.

Boss Doggie

Nice to see mr.niche interest himself being so open minded about what other people like.

Oh, I'm not condemning other people about what they like. I simply said I don't like kemonomimis. :p

Besides, the whole net favors them (ugh) so hating kemonomimi looks like I'm being hipster.

Oh, I'm not condemning other people about what they like. I simply said I don't like kemonomimis. :p

Besides, the whole net favors them (ugh) so hating kemonomimi looks like I'm being hipster.

It's the part of "lying to themselves" I'm finding rude, not your dislike for them.

Personally I don't find your musclefur interests appealing in any way, they're too "Rob liefeld" for me to take serious at all.

Does that mean I think you're lying about your interest? Of course not, you just have a very unique interest I can't relate to.

When you say people who like "kemonomimis" are lying to themselves and should either go human or furry, you're not talking about your personal interest, you're esentially telling people their "interest" is factually wrong.

Top Bottom