• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FXAA for all PS3 and Xbox360 games

Couldn't you add an option to downscale Sub-HD games to their native resolution, apply FXAA and then upscale it to fullscreen?

Durante

Backfoggen said:
Couldn't you add an option to downscale Sub-HD games to their native resolution, apply FXAA and then upscale it to fullscreen?
I thought about this previously. I'm not sure how well it would work, but it's worth a try. When I have time...

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Dug out all the requisite cables and gave this thing a try. Didn't have much time, but Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon was already in the drive and as luck would have it it doesn't have AA.

Loaded up the first level and used the built-in comparison screenshot exporter once I figured out what keys did what. Didn't really have much trouble finding decent places to compare. Look at the curbs, the hill on the horizon, and the columns on the vaguely Grecian monument thingy.

Edit: Looks like Photobucket maimed the images. Click 'em for proper 720p PNGs.

Default:

With FXAA and adaptive sharpening:

Default:

Default:

The effect holds up quite well in motion. Only had a few minutes to really play around with it but I'm already rather fond of this program.

Someone should try Valkyria Chronicles and either of the Naruto Ninja Storm games on PS3. I'd love to see if how much of that aliasing disappears.
This is an amazing program by the way, I don't understand the total lack of interest in it by GAF. Keep it up man.

Nuclear Muffin said:
Wow! Very impressive. I don't suppose that this could work for Wii games as well? (Or even older gen consoles like PS2 or GCN?)

It's kind of pointless for these since you can just emulate them.

ixix

I gave Halo 3 a try using FXAA, and it's kind of a curious effect. The algorithm seems to take a pretty decent stab at reducing aliasing on horizontal graphical elements while more or less completely missing aliasing on vertical elements. In motion sections with lots of intersecting geometry look a bit... off. Which is a pretty poor description, I realize, but I'm rather out of my element in trying to articulate the particulars of graphical oddities.

I took a bunch of screenshots to illustrate the effect that I'll sort through and upload when I've got more time.

I should be doing hw said:
Someone should try Valkyria Chronicles and either of the Naruto Ninja Storm games on PS3. I'd love to see if how much of that aliasing disappears.
This is an amazing program by the way, I don't understand the total lack of interest in it by GAF. Keep it up man.

I don't really recall Valkyria Chronicles having a lot of aliasing, but then again it's been ages since I played it. I can give it a spin later if you want.

Cronox

Banned
I don't get what this is supposed to even do. It's not emulating the game itself. Is it just for taking screenshots?

this is very interesting and i am quite impressed, though it's not something i would bother doing myself unless i regularly played through a capture card. if i was capturing for specific reasons like a review i'd leave it off anyway.

Cronox said:
I don't get what this is supposed to even do. It's not emulating the game itself. Is it just for taking screenshots?

connect console to pc via capture card, use this program to anti-alias each frame before pc sends it to monitor/tv. essentially playing console games with an extra layer of hardware doing anti-aliasing (and/or whatever other post-processing effects you could throw at it)

Otrebor Nightmarecoat said:
This is amazing. How do I connect my console to my pc and take advantage of this program?

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/

ixix said:
I don't really recall Valkyria Chronicles having a lot of aliasing, but then again it's been ages since I played it. I can give it a spin later if you want.
It's fairly minute, but enough to break the illusion of the cel shading. Especially during the cutscenes with those talking head segments, the aliasing is fairly noticeable.

Durante

The problem with VC is that the non-photorealistic rendering method they're using (the "pencil shading") introduces some high-frequency detail that really messes with the algorithm. The Naruto games have a 1-pixel boundary around most edges that also is too thin to be ideal. There are some Naruto pics in my FXAA gallery at abload: http://abload.de/gallery.php?key=pU57lEXH

Thanks, I think the relative lack of interest is 90% due to the price of entry.

schick85

Durante said:
That's an interesting idea, the problem is that the whole thing would be at least $700 or so in parts. It would be a pretty good set-top box and couch-gaming PC as well though.
I'd still buy one. Make it happen.

Started using this today really pleased with it, currently playing competitive halo MM with no noticeable drawbacks. FXAA is nice!

wwm0nkey

StalkerUKCG said:
Started using this today really pleased with it, currently playing competitive halo MM with no noticeable drawbacks. FXAA is nice!
Take a picture of Highlands in Halo: Reach or a huge open space. your last picture didnt do much for me XD

ixix

I finally got around to uploading those Halo 3 shots. Regular image on the left, FXAA and adaptive sharpening on the right.

First two pictures show a railing, which the FXAA does a pretty good job of smoothing out.

Second up is a fluorescent light or some sci-fi approximation thereof. Look at the aliasing on the lightbulb itself versus the aliasing on the crossbars that form the housing. The bulb is fairly well anti-aliased, whereas the housing is virtually identical between pictures.

Same basic idea with this tree. Compare the horizontal branches to the vertical. Horizontal are reasonably well anti-aliased, vertical are practically untouched.

In this one you can see the circular structure atop the hill in the distance is anti-aliased. This sort of large, horizontal geometry is what's most improved by the FXAA. Also look at the inside of the dropship. Though it's obviously not visible in the picture, in motion areas like that with lots of detail crammed into a small area tend to look quite a bit worse with FXAA enabled than without.

And these images are just a shot of the Halomobile with lots of aliased lines at different angles. You can pretty easily tell that the closer the angle is to being perfectly horizontal the better the algorithm deals with it.

ixix

wwm0nkey said:
Halo 3 runs in sun HD so the AA effects are nothing dramatic

Reach runs at 720p though.

Not dramatic, but kind of interesting to see how it deals with upscaled sub-720p games.

NBtoaster

wwm0nkey said:
Halo 3 runs in sun HD so the AA effects are nothing dramatic

Reach runs at 720p though.

Reach has a lower vertical res than 720p. The FXAA will probably deal with horizontal edges fine but have difficulty with the verticals.

Though it also has funky temporal AA which might not mix well with FXAA.

edit: got mixed up, it has a lower horizontal res so it would have difficulty with the vertical edges.

Gvaz

Banned
Some reason MSAA still looks better, and not quite as good as SGA or w/e the long name for that is.

So it can only be used with supported games?

Wow, those Halo 3 shots are aweosme. A bigger draw for me than the anti-aliasing though is the sharpen filter which helps mitigate the blurriness of sub-HD. Every single texture now looks better.

heavyness

Pong
pong.jpg

Incredible.

ixix

Gvaz said:
Some reason MSAA still looks better, and not quite as good as SGA or w/e the long name for that is.

So it can only be used with supported games?

MSAA basically is better, but FXAA is much simpler and can be applied as a post-process. There's no way to apply MSAA to a finished, outputted image, but the same is not true of FXAA.

The specific foibles of FXAA in terms of how it interacts with games is pretty much completely beyond me, other than that.

DR2K said:
It might just be late, but all I'm seeing are duplicate pictures.

There's not a lot of difference between the Halo 3 images. They aren't a "hey look how much better Halo 3 looks" comparison, they're a "hey look at the oddities in the way the anti-aliasing handles a sub-HD game" comparison. I took those shots because a few people said they wanted to see the game and I was curious myself after hearing that the algorithm wasn't supposed to handle upscaled games well.

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Wow, those Halo 3 shots are aweosme. A bigger draw for me than the anti-aliasing though is the sharpen filter which helps mitigate the blurriness of sub-HD. Every single texture now looks better.

For what it's worth, in motion I preferred the default output for Halo 3. And as a side note, I had never really realized how aliased Halo 3 was. I'd never played the game outside of split-screen until I took those pictures.

heavyness said:

Looks the same to me.

Grinchy

Banned
Slappers Only said:
Uncharted 2:

(Hover over picture to see the difference)
I hovered quite a few times before realizing I was being trolled. Unless this isn't a joke, in which case there is no visible difference. But I'm pretty sure this is a joke and its funny.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Grinchy said:
I hovered quite a few times before realizing I was being trolled. Unless this isn't a joke, in which case there is no visible difference. But I'm pretty sure this is a joke and its funny.

LOL

Anyway we could get this to support SD resolutions so we can see what effect it has on Wii Games? Im aware i could use dolphin but my pc is pretty mediocre and i have extreme problem running anything like dolphin with it.

Durante

Erm, is there any point to this repeated shitting up of the thread with unrelated pictures? Because it really isn't that funny.

Gvaz said:
SGSSAA, if that's what you mean, absolutely is better than any other form of AA in terms of quality. With enough samples it's basically perfect, the only drawback is performance. MSAA has the huge advantage of actually knowing the geometry and having a higher sampling frequency at edges, which means that it can deal with sub-pixel aliasing and line crawling much better than any postprocessing method. MLAA is a postprocessing method, but it requires access to the depth buffer, which is also not available in this case.

Really, FXAA more or less the best you can do when you're just given an RGB picture. At least among the existing off-the-shelf methods. I was prototyping something in Matlab about a year ago which would have somewhat higher performance requirements, but the advantage of much more selectively manipulating aliased edges and not distorting GUI elements or doing unintended to the same extent that happens for other methods. Of course it would also miss slightly more legitimate aliasing.

If you are doing postprocessing... could you theoretically add stuff like SweetFX to the picture? That would be kind of amazing.

Bl@de

Only the master race would care about such a minuscule difference like that. I would pay $1 tops for this, if it required me no work whatsoever. Otherwise, useless..

Of course the PC Master Race don't pay attention to puny FXAA for console peasants. Master Race use Downsampling and SGSSAA. Now bow down.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I've been wanting something like this since the days of the GameCube.

Question for Durante:

In many games the hud is basically stationary on the screen. How hard would it be to allow the user to manually mark the borders of the HUD with their mouse, and then have an optional command that toggles off any post processing in the selected screen coordinates?

Edit: didn't realize this thread was so old.. Still hope my question gets answered.

edit2: something like this:

J7MOZvr.jpg

the user would create the following image which would be used by the program as a mask:
mp1cgAL.jpg

Durante

Note that these days PtBi supports SMAA, which is generally much better for this purpose than FXAA.

I've been wanting something like this since the days of the GameCube.

Question for Durante:

In many games the hud is basically stationary on the screen. How hard would it be to allow the user to manually mark the borders of the HUD with their mouse, and then have an optional command that toggles off any post processing in the selected screen coordinates?

Edit: didn't realize this thread was so old.. Still hope my question gets answered.

edit2: something like this:
UI is a lot of work, so I wouldn't want to do that. What would be possible though is using a mask image to limit the postprocessing to some regions.

This could be a godsend for Nintendo games on Wii U!
Yeah, I play every Nintendo game through PtBi.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Note that these days PtBi supports SMAA, which is generally much better for this purpose than FXAA.

UI is a lot of work, so I wouldn't want to do that. What would be possible though is using a mask image to limit the postprocessing to some regions.

LOL that's exactly what I meant.
Ideally it would only need to be made once per game, and users could share masks online once they've made them.

So is it something you'd be interested in implementing?
Or perhaps someone else could implement it?
(I wouldn't mind trying)

It would also allow making before/after comparisons within the same frame

Top Bottom