• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G-Sync is the god-level gaming upgrade.

Smokey

BlurBusters' G-Sync 101 article is live now: http://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101/
Goes very in-depth into a lot of details about G-Sync and input lag.

The short version:
  1. Enable V-Sync in the NVIDIA Control Panel, not Fast Sync. It's not really V-Sync.
  2. Optionally, set the maximum pre-rendered frames to 1.
  3. If the game has a framerate limiter, set that to 3 below your maximum refresh rate. If not, use RTSS to set the same limit.
The way he puts it, "V-Sync" is basically acting as frame-time compensation to handle sudden spikes in framerate when you have G-Sync enabled.

Can you be more specific beyond "isn't working for me" ?

This is a fantastic article, whew

Might be worthy of its own thread, tbh

Arkanius

BlurBusters' G-Sync 101 article is live now: http://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101/
Goes very in-depth into a lot of details about G-Sync and input lag.

The short version:
  1. Enable V-Sync in the NVIDIA Control Panel, not Fast Sync. It's not really V-Sync.
  2. Optionally, set the maximum pre-rendered frames to 1.
  3. If the game has a framerate limiter, set that to 3 below your maximum refresh rate. If not, use RTSS to set the same limit.
The way he puts it, "V-Sync" is basically acting as frame-time compensation to handle sudden spikes in framerate when you have G-Sync enabled.

Finally, scientific proof of all the "I feel this is better" for the Vsync On vs Off debacle on Gsync

Izuna

Banned

Oh sorry. It worked for me eventually. I had some weird profile stuff stopping Vsync from working.

Thanks for all the help. Reading the article now.

For 75hz, 73fps or 72fps? I feel like the lower I go the more likely I can stop Vsync from creeping in.

dunno if I'm doing it right can I just get a screenshot of what people's settings are?

NKKKq2A.png

Izuna

Banned
dunno if I'm doing it right can I just get a screenshot of what people's settings are?

Change the power management mode to maximum performance

But yes, use that with a frame limiter and you're golden (otherwise you get the same lag as vsync when you hit the fps=refresh)

Personally, I enable Vsync on a game by game basis.

Kabuto

idk if it's placebo or not, but I just turned on V-sync and triple buffering in Overwatch. It is sooo smooth and I don't feel any input lag. I definitely feel like I'm playing better with the two of them on.

(I'm on a GTX 1080 and XB271HU)

riflen

idk if it's placebo or not, but I just turned on V-sync and triple buffering in Overwatch. It is sooo smooth and I don't feel any input lag. I definitely feel like I'm playing better with the two of them on.

(I'm on a GTX 1080 and XB271HU)

If the display is in Gsync mode, turning on Vsync in the game will do nothing.

Amazon looks like they dropped this Dell GSync monitor by about 50 bucks, you guys think it's work it? It looks to be 1440p 144hz so I'm pretty tempted. It is 24" but I think that's enough for my setup although 27" would be ideal.

e90Mark

Amazon looks like they dropped this Dell GSync monitor by about 50 bucks, you guys think it's work it? It looks to be 1440p 144hz so I'm pretty tempted. It is 24" but I think that's enough for my setup although 27" would be ideal.

Good price, it's basically just a smaller version of the S2716DG, but can be OC'd to 165hz.

I was hoping Dell would have their refurb sale again this year, as you could get a refurb S2716DG for about this price shipped.

Reckoner

Today I had a power outage at home and now when I turn on my Dell S2417DG I get a grey screen with some tiny vertical lines. Can't even access the options menu.

Suggestions or is this a warranty matter?

update: issue fixed itself after I left the monitor unplugged for the night. weird

Augustiner

Neo Member
For dual monitor setups, is there any point in getting them both G-sync capable? Will the can g-sync only be used on one monitor, or can both be enabled at the same time?

Lemonte

My god... I have had g-sync monitor for about 5 months now. Never realized before what a huge difference it makes until today. For some reason PlayerUnknown's Battleground switched to my second monitor(which doesn't have g-sync) after I alt+tab'd. So I thought I play one match on it. It was screen tearing stuttering mess.Just awful. I can't never go back to non-g-sync monitor.

Vipu

Banned
My god... I have had g-sync monitor for about 5 months now. Never realized before what a huge difference it makes until today. For some reason PlayerUnknown's Battleground switched to my second monitor(which doesn't have g-sync) after I alt+tab'd. So I thought I play one match on it. It was screen tearing stuttering mess.Just awful. I can't never go back to non-g-sync monitor.

Is your fps jumping around a lot? Or your 2nd monitor is 60hz and main is 144hz?
I dont think the difference should be THAT massive.

Paragon

Is your fps jumping around a lot? Or your 2nd monitor is 60hz and main is 144hz?
I dont think the difference should be THAT massive.
It's huge even if I just disable G-Sync at the same refresh rate - though I would use V-Sync or Triple Buffering rather than allowing it to tear.

In fact I know someone that avoids a lot of games due to motion sickness, and while she couldn't tell you the difference between 30 and 60 FPS unless they were side-by-side, comparing G-Sync on/off at high framerates (75-90 FPS) on my ultrawide monitor in ABZÛ was the difference between motion sickness and not.

I didn't tell her what was changing, and she has no idea what G-Sync is, but she immediately asked what happened because she started to feel motion sick as soon as I switched it off.

So what you're saying is you still change settings?
You still notice big framerate drops but you don't have to worry about holding a constant framerate and never dropping below it like you do with a fixed refresh rate monitor.

Just change settings so the average framerate is roughly where you want it to be and you can ignore fluctuations around it.

Draft

Anyone else see noticeable color banding with their G-Sync monitor?

I have the Dell 27" TN G-Sync panel. Color banding is significant when dealing with light sources or shadowy transitions. For example, during the beginning of a Hearthstone game the blue cloth around the board has distinct banding while the lights "come on." Google shows this is a known issue, but not very widespread.

During this Steam sale I bought MGSV, and the color banding is dramatic on characters in dark scenes. I think some of that is the art style of MGSV, but sometimes the effect is so heavy characters look like lazily upressed sprites in early XBLA arcade ports.

holysan

So after a yeah of usage, this happened to my XB270HU:

Sent it in for repair, Acer replaced the screen. I got it back a week later and it looked like this:

lul

Sent it in again. Now they replaced some cables and reinstalled the bios and the monitor works like new.

Feels kinda good getting a new display after a year for an entirely different issue.

The first time in my life where I needed to claim warranty and it was actually a good experience o:

Paragon

I have the Dell 27" TN G-Sync panel. Color banding is significant when dealing with light sources or shadowy transitions. For example, during the beginning of a Hearthstone game the blue cloth around the board has distinct banding while the lights "come on." Google shows this is a known issue, but not very widespread.

During this Steam sale I bought MGSV, and the color banding is dramatic on characters in dark scenes. I think some of that is the art style of MGSV, but sometimes the effect is so heavy characters look like lazily upressed sprites in early XBLA arcade ports.
It's supposed to use an 8-bit panel so it's likely to either be the game or the panel calibration.
Banding is noticeable in a couple of the picture modes on my PG348Q, but not the ones which use a more accurate gamma. (the "darker" ones)
Make sure that you're only using the on-screen controls to adjust any picture settings and not loading an ICC profile or otherwise altering the GPU LUT.
I don't recall whether banding was an issue with MGSV but I would not be surprised if it is - especially since the engine was built for 60 FPS. It's a common issue for a lot of games.

kuYuri

Thinking of going from the Acer XB270HU to the AOC AG352UCG to join the Ultrawide train. Im thinking this particular one since it's quite inexpensive compared to the other Ultrawides. I'm a bit concerned about going from an IPS panel to a MVA panel though. Wonder if it will be that big a deal to me.

I've seen that but even when I set it to both, it always defaults back to fullscreen only which is why I'm always wondering whether my windowed game is actually running in GSync.

I like windowed mode because I like to surf on my second screen while gaming. Fullscreen makes me alt-tab out first.

If you do a clean install of a driver update, it resets all your settings/your g-sync preference. Every now and then the g-sync setting will get switched to fullscreen-only even when just doing a normal update. Just make sure to check that control panel after an update.

Thinking of going from the Acer XB270HU to the AOC AG352UCG to join the Ultrawide train. Im thinking this particular one since it's quite inexpensive compared to the other Ultrawides. I'm a bit concerned about going from an IPS panel to a MVA panel though. Wonder if it will be that big a deal to me.

If you're already spending ~$1000 on a minor upgrade, I'd just wait for the next gen of G-Sync monitors with HDR support.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3198...ast-with-the-200hz-asus-rog-swift-pg35vq.html

PG35VQ seems like the one to get if you want ultrawide.

Swig_

Does anyone else have a problem where G-Sync in Fullscreen AND Windows constantly gets reverted back to just Full Screen? I like to play most of my games with borderless window so I can browse during downtime, but somehow it constantly gets turned off. I'm not sure if it's from new driver installation or something else.

Does anyone else have a problem where G-Sync in Fullscreen AND Windows constantly gets reverted back to just Full Screen? I like to play most of my games with borderless window so I can browse during downtime, but somehow it constantly gets turned off. I'm not sure if it's from new driver installation or something else.

It is.

Paragon

New video drivers will reset it.
I'm not sure why, but NVIDIA seems to reset that, custom resolutions, and video output levels when you update drivers. It's very annoying.
It shouldn't be happening more frequently than once a month though.

If you're already spending ~$1000 on a minor upgrade, I'd just wait for the next gen of G-Sync monitors with HDR support.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3198...ast-with-the-200hz-asus-rog-swift-pg35vq.html
Though I agree that waiting is the smart thing to do, it's worth mentioning that these new displays use VA panels rather than IPS.
For me, that's a deal-breaker. I have a PG348Q and a Sony TV which uses a VA panel and ~100 zones of local dimming, and generally prefer the PG348Q despite the lower contrast. Neither supports HDR though.

Darksim

This is an issue with both of the Dell TN gsync monitors, though it has nothing to do with gsync. Judging by the reports in the overclock.net threads mostly for the 24" (the one I briefly had) it is an issue on all revisions, and there is no way to fix it. I believe the incorrect gamma of these monitors is actually an attempt to hide this issue, if you turn the gamma down in the nv control panel to correct it the banding gets significantly more noticeable as it is spread out along the lower spectrum of the grayscale instead of concentrated at the bottom.

Cels

I have the same monitor. A04 revision (the latest, and the one I have) has it worse than the others from what I've read. Using NCP color calibration and tweaking monitor color settings can help some but it will still be apparent in some games.

Paragon

if you turn the gamma down in the nv control panel to correct it the banding gets significantly more noticeable as it is spread out along the lower spectrum of the grayscale instead of concentrated at the bottom.
Due to the terrible way that NVIDIA processes LUT adjustments, you don't want to touch them on anything less than a 10-bit panel or they will introduce banding problems.
Even with a 10 or 12 bit output there is still potential for banding, since they do not dither.
The monitor may also have problems, but using the GPU controls to make those changes is not a good way to test it.

kuYuri

If you do a clean install of a driver update, it resets all your settings/your g-sync preference. Every now and then the g-sync setting will get switched to fullscreen-only even when just doing a normal update. Just make sure to check that control panel after an update.

The AOC isn't $1000, it's actually closer to $800 right now. And those new monitors I imagine will not be cheap. I figure at least $1300+ at launch, which is another $500 on top of the AOC price.

Darksim

Due to the terrible way that NVIDIA processes LUT adjustments, you don't want to touch them on anything less than a 10-bit panel or they will introduce banding problems.
Even with a 10 or 12 bit output there is still potential for banding, since they do not dither.
The monitor may also have problems, but using the GPU controls to make those changes is not a good way to test it.

Well see, here I don't really think it introduced additional banding (maybe it did I'm far from an expert on this), the distinct bands that were already present in the lower part of a grayscale gradient I was looking at were moved upwards along it as I lowered the gamma and I don't think it introduced any new ones. In many situations the banding was quite frankly atrocious before changing anything, so this issue is unquestionably with the monitor itself. I suppose it needing gamma correction on top of that only exacerbates the issue.

Edit: perhaps I'm not being clear enough, the bands I'm talking about looked more like a block or actual rectangle of color in the gradient. So typical banding could have totally been introduced by changing the gamma, and I doubt I would have even noticed compared to the hard defined sections of the monitor's own banding that were moved around.

Paragon

Well see, here I don't really think it introduced additional banding (maybe it did I'm far from an expert on this), the distinct bands that were already present in the lower part of a grayscale gradient I was looking at were moved upwards along it as I lowered the gamma and I don't think it introduced any new ones. In many situations the banding was quite frankly atrocious before changing anything, so this issue is unquestionably with the monitor itself. I suppose it needing gamma correction on top of that only exacerbates the issue.

Edit: perhaps I'm not being clear enough, the bands I'm talking about looked more like a block or actual rectangle of color in the gradient. So typical banding could have totally been introduced by changing the gamma, and I doubt I would have even noticed compared to the hard defined sections of the monitor's own banding that were moved around.

It's only a rough approximation since I didn't want to set up my calibration hardware just for this, but here's a comparison between gamma being adjusted in the NVIDIA Control Panel vs being adjusted on the display by selecting a different profile on my PG348Q:

bandingavudw.jpg

Adjusting the GPU LUT crushes levels together, while internal adjustments keep all 256 steps visible.
I do wish that G-Sync monitors had better calibration controls, but that's what you get when it's a latency-optimized display for gaming I suppose.

As I said: I believe that banding may be an issue with the Dell monitor, but GPU LUT adjustments are likely to make the problem worse.
You should never touch the GPU LUT with an NVIDIA card connected to an 8-bit display, G-Sync or not - at least until they fix this.

MoFuzz

Adjusting the GPU LUT crushes levels together, while internal adjustments keep all 256 steps visible.
I do wish that G-Sync monitors had better calibration controls, but that's what you get when it's a latency-optimized display for gaming I suppose.

As I said: I believe that banding may be an issue with the Dell monitor, but GPU LUT adjustments are likely to make the problem worse.
You should never touch the GPU LUT with an NVIDIA card connected to an 8-bit display, G-Sync or not - at least until they fix this.
I just bought the Dell S2716DG myself and have been fiddling with the settings over the past week to get it to look right.

Unfortunately, there's no gamma setting on the monitor itself. So that part of it must be set through Nvidia Control Panel. There are only OSD adjustments available for RGB, Brightness and Contrast.

I'd be lying if I said the banding doesn't bother me, but it really doesn't seem like there's anything comparable at the same price point, unless Dell is cooking up the successor to this model in the coming months. 27" with 1440p, 144Hz and G-Sync seems to run around $950+ in Canada. Whereas this was almost half of that, when it's on one of it's frequent sales.

Paragon

I just bought the Dell S2716DG myself and have been fiddling with the settings over the past week to get it to look right.
Unfortunately, there's no gamma setting on the monitor itself. So that part of it must be set through Nvidia Control Panel. There are only OSD adjustments available for RGB, Brightness and Contrast.
Are you able to select different modes?
The PG348Q only has brightness/contrast/rgb controls too, but there are Scenery, Racing, Cinema, RTS/RPG, FPS, and sRGB modes.
You can't adjust gamma directly, but some of the modes use different gamma curves.

ds8k

Really wish there was an adaptive sync standard that both companies adhered to. I bought an r9 390 and an XG270HU to go with it and regret my decision. I recently upgraded to a 1080 and now my Freesync monitor is basically a waste.

MoFuzz

Are you able to select different modes?
The PG348Q only has brightness/contrast/rgb controls too, but there are Scenery, Racing, Cinema, RTS/RPG, FPS, and sRGB modes.
You can't adjust gamma directly, but some of the modes use different gamma curves.
My 8 year old Benq Monitor did this, but on my new Dell, the only presets are for "Standard, Warm, Cool & Custom". It's not like you can take one of the presets and tweak them either. As soon as you start tweaking OSD adjustments from what they have it set at, it immediately turns into the "Custom" profile. Thanks for the suggestion though. I wouldn't have thought of that.

So I'd really like to pick up a g-sync monitor, but my issue is the size. My setup is inside an armoire cabinet and the monitor space only fits 20.5" of width. Are there ANY g-sync monitors that are 22 inches of viewing space or less?

Paragon

So I'd really like to pick up a g-sync monitor, but my issue is the size. My setup is inside an armoire cabinet and the monitor space only fits 20.5" of width. Are there ANY g-sync monitors that are 22 inches of viewing space or less?
Unfortunately I think the Dell S2417DG is the smallest G-Sync monitor, at 540.4mm wide. (21.28")
There is a 21.5" Viewsonic VX2257-mhd which supports 75Hz FreeSync, but nothing that size for G-Sync.
The problem is that with the G-Sync module having a premium price associated with it, the price for smaller monitors can only go so low, so there just wouldn't be a market for them.

I don't think so, smallest size I've seen high end monitors come in is 25". imo if you're splurging on a g-sync monitor, you should get a 1440p gsync screen, and if you're going for that high res then you need at least 27". Otherwise the DPI is too high and everything becomes illegible.

Stiler

So I've been trying to find a deal on a gsync monitor.

Narrowed it down to the Xb271hu/PG279Q/XG2703

Acer has been putting up the xb271hu recertified ones for like $525 on their ebay store but I've been late getting one and keep missing out.

Within the past week or so the prices of the xb271hu has seemed to SKYROCKET.

Acer themselves put up some more recently and have priced them at over 720 bucks for a REFURBISHED one, almost a $200 price increase from what they were selling for just a couple weeks back.

On amazon the TN version of the monitor is over 700 bucks new now.

What the heck happened?

Izuna

Banned
Imo, the best part of Gsync is being able to limit the framerate to almost anything under the refresh so you can target the average framerate of certain games. I can go solid 80fps if I want to etc.

I can never go back.

KillLaCam

Banned
Imo, the best part of Gsync is being able to limit the framerate to almost anything under the refresh so you can target the average framerate of certain games. I can go solid 80fps if I want to etc.

I can never go back.

Didn't even think about doing this. Thanks!

Izuna

Banned
Lost Planet 2 is a perfect example of this for me. It ran at 100fps with dips in very specific areas in the benchmark at 1440p 8xMSAA. Instead of that, I just limited it to the lowest fps I got at 4k and it runs solid.

It is such a beautiful tool. No Vsync/input lag.

I could either do Spintercell Blacklist at 97fps locked with FXAA, or turn on TXAAx2 and lock it at 88fps instead.

I only wish more games had built in fps limiters.

bachikarn

I don't think so, smallest size I've seen high end monitors come in is 25". imo if you're splurging on a g-sync monitor, you should get a 1440p gsync screen, and if you're going for that high res then you need at least 27". Otherwise the DPI is too high and everything becomes illegible.

You can use OS scaling and zoom in applications to make then legible.

dcx4610

Question. I have a Nvidia 1080 GPU and a Gsync 1440p 165hz display. I also have Vsync set tk Fast in the Nvidia Control Panel. Now it's pretty unlikely that I'm going to hit 165fps in a lot of games so is it best to leave Vsync off? I'd rather hit as high frame rate as possible so I have been leaving Vsync off. Is this "proper"?

If I turn on Vsync and can't hit 165, does it drop to 60 or 30 and how does Gsync play a role?

Edit: Just read that Blur Busters article. It looks like I haven't been using Gsync this entire time because I had Fast Sync on? So it should be Vsync on in Control Panel and Vsync off in games?

Paragon

Question. I have a Nvidia 1080 GPU and a Gsync 1440p 165hz display. I also have Vsync set tk Fast in the Nvidia Control Panel. Now it's pretty unlikely that I'm going to hit 165fps in a lot of games so is it best to leave Vsync off? I'd rather hit as high frame rate as possible so I have been leaving Vsync off. Is this "proper"?
If I turn on Vsync and can't hit 165, does it drop to 60 or 30 and how does Gsync play a role?
Edit: Just read that Blur Busters article. It looks like I haven't been using Gsync this entire time because I had Fast Sync on? So it should be Vsync on in Control Panel and Vsync off in games?
Fast Sync does not disable G-Sync, but it is not designed to work with it, and does not produce ideal results. It's generally lower latency and smoother to use G-Sync with a framerate cap than Fast Sync at a much higher framerate.
V-Sync on in the NVCP and off in games is the correct thing to do.
Ideally you would also be using either the game's own framerate limiter or RTSS to limit the framerate to 3 below your maximum refresh rate; i.e. 162 FPS.

noomi

I'm finally looking into upgrading a g-sync IPS 144Hz... help me understand.

- Why would you want to limit your frames or use v-sync? I thought the whole point of g-sync is to basically set it and forget it and reap the awesomeness that it is.

- If I am running a game and getting under 144FPS all is good right? But if my frames go over the 144FPS (144Hz threshold), I suddenly get tearing and input lag?

- If I do need to limit FPS can I just set it within nvidia profile inspector and set the global limit to never go over..... lets say 142 frames?

I'm confused because I run a 120Hz non g-sync monitor, and once I hit around 90-120FPS I do not notice any input lag or any tearing at all. I only really notice tearing when I dip low into the 40's-70's. I would imagine that with a g-sync monitor the effect would be the same, but no tearing with lower FPS.

Top Bottom