• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gabe Newell: Dota 2 to be free to play "with a twist"

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
maybe the very best players become paid coaches? is this too far out there for thought?

This could happen. Valve do allow people who create items and maps for TF2 to take a percentage of the pie if it is bought through the Mann Co store.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Only problem I see is that you will often be reportet for feeding just because you are new to the game. That sucks because you have done nothing wrong.

I assume there will be checks and measures in place to prevent that from happening. That is a very valid concern, though.

+ wtb Tobi Wan announcer pack Gaben

There is probably a reason Tobi has been at Valve this week. :p

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I assume there will be checks and measures in place to prevent that from happening. That is a very valid concern, though.

Also helps if they don't throw people in at a decent level like HoN did.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Well there is supposed to be a 'newbie island' area with a limited hero pool. That plus extensive tutorials and half decent bots should be helpful.

Dipswitch

The twist is, you have to register a credit card and if you don't play it over 40 hours a week, you get charged a monthly fee.

IIRC I remember Valve talking about a F2P system where you have to pay to play if you are considered to have an overall negative influence on the community.

So maybe the game will be F2P but will eventually have a cost if you start getting reported a lot.

Zzoram

I assume it's "with a twist" because you'll get unlocks for helping noobs in an attempt to make the game more inviting to new players.

I wish there was an option to just buy f2p games. Just an upfront traditional pricing model for those that would prefer to pay that way and then different pricing structures for those that dont want to pay $50 straight up for a game.

Also, DOTA 2 is going to be huge. If Valve wanted to I'm sure they could make plenty of money with the game just by selling ad space instead of charging customers at all. I'm not even sure what they could charge for. Skins? Even when they are free I only use default skins.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
F2P, funding syphoned from the hopes and dreams of Half-Life fans.

HoosTrax

What are the community issues that people are referring to wrt MOBA games (I've never played one myself)? Is it just a lot of epeen posturing etc?

TF2 seems to have a pretty laid-back community, but it might be due more to the offbeat nature of the game and the presence of votekick/mute/gag. Sometimes a kid will start using their mic, and I half expect people to starting acting like a douche, but nothing comes out of it.

Touch

Valve putting a twist on the a game known for its harsh community, to make the experience more enjoyable for new and existing players.

Might work. I just wonder how you make a dota player care.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
So they're going to incentivize people to be less dickish? That might work. They're going to have to keep the carrot on a stick out front for a long time though.

TF2's store is probably the worst I've ever seen, not counting Korean F2P MMOs. It's disgusting, full of incredibly overpriced content in addition to really abusive products, such as one time use items with non-trivial pricetags.

I never hear anyone bitch about it so I can only assume I'm either crazy or the content is not meant for me, but I have a hard time being excited about future Valve F2P endeavors.

HoosTrax

TF2's store is probably the worst I've ever seen, not counting Korean F2P MMOs. It's disgusting, full of incredibly overpriced content in addition to really abusive products, such as one time use items with non-trivial pricetags.

I never hear anyone bitch about it so I can only assume I'm either crazy or the content is not meant for me, but I have a hard time being excited about future Valve F2P endeavors.
Probably because 1) almost everything available in the TF2 store can be gotten in other ways without any money required (trading and world drops), 2) a lot of it is made by community artists and modelers and they receive a portion of the proceeds.

All of the stock weapons are perfectly viable, so it's not a case of P2W.

What are the community issues that people are referring to wrt MOBA games (I've never played one myself)? Is it just a lot of epeen posturing etc?

TF2 seems to have a pretty laid-back community, but it might be due more to the offbeat nature of the game and the presence of votekick/mute/gag. Sometimes a kid will start using their mic, and I half expect people to starting acting like a douche, but nothing comes out of it.

The community issues from moba games is highly overrated. It doesn't even begin to approach how angry and competitive the CS community used to be. I think it gets played up a lot because most of these players are coming from rts/mmo backgrounds so seeing people angry and competitive in a game shock them or something. But it isnt even in the same neighborhood as how CS used to be.

God seeing all the beta talk and footage has me feeling all envious. Has Valve or Gabe ever talked about a possible release date. Never played a MOBA before, but I love the look and UI that they crafted.

You need to go to the Dota 2 page and fill out the survey if you want to have any chance at getting in the beta. Either that or beg somebody who gets extra keys to pass out.

Probably because 1) almost everything available in the TF2 store can be gotten in other ways without any money required (trading and world drops), 2) a lot of it is made by community artists and modelers and they receive a portion of the proceeds.

All of the stock weapons are perfectly viable, so it's not a case of P2W.

Your last point is absolutely true, which is why I'm sure DOTA's free content will be more than substantial.

But still, it's hard not to have a problem with $5 paint cans (one use only), crates that drop in world that are useless without a $2.50 key (one use only), and single cosmetic items that go for $10+. That's crazy!

It speaks to Valve's ability to laser-focus on price points ultrafans will pay, and DOTA has some of the most dedicated ultra-fans.

Probably because most of the shit sold is either side-grades and can be easily gotten through trading (and the core items are just fine), or purely cosmetic items.

If you don't want to spend 10 dollars to paint your virtual gun pink, then don't.

fallengorn

In TF2, 12v12 you can afford some disparity in skill level and unless you join a server with specific map/time limits, matches don't last too long. You can also easily drop in and out of games. By it's nature it can foster a laid-back community.

Dota 2 is a pretty deep game with matches that can last awhile. Because there's a lot of time you need to invest, there's not a lot of patience for new people. And because it's really deep, there's a lot of "armchair" strategists that think they're always right. So, you're going to get yelled at for doing anything.

"Its going to be a Free to play business model in terms of game design and micro transactions and but its still $60 boxed game.

We call it the Namco model"

In TF2, 12v12 you can afford some disparity in skill level and unless you join a server with specific map/time limits, matches don't last too long. You can also easily drop in and out of games. By it's nature it can foster a laid-back community.

Dota 2 is a pretty deep game with matches that can last awhile. Because there's a lot of time you need to invest, there's not a lot of patience for new people. And because it's really deep, there's a lot of "armchair" strategists that think they're always right. So, you're going to get yelled at for doing anything.

High Tower can last just as long as a DOTA game :(

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
But still, it's hard not to have a problem with $5 paint cans (one use only), crates that drop in world that are useless without a $2.50 key (one use only), and single cosmetic items that go for $10+. That's crazy!

It's SUPER EASY not to have a problem with that stuff, when you consider that all of that stuff is optional, everything that has an actual in-game impact can be earned, gotten by random drop, crafted, or traded for, and when you realize the ABSOLUTELY UNPRECEDENTED amount of free real content (game modes, maps, etc.) that Valve has released since TF2 came out.

Chavelo

Screw this game...

I mean. It's Valve. It's going to be pretty awesome. Hell, it most probably bring the most bucks of any game they have ever released. But I won't touch it. Even with a 10-foot... range from a wireless mouse and keyboard.

Just got an invite last week and my "buddies" set up a game online to let me test the waters and try it out.

You know who ended up yelling at me the jargon and obscenities? The same dudes that I like to call "friends". And the was the first time ever that happened with them. We usually fuck around and do dirty jokes and crap. But I was instantly turned off 10 minutes into the game. I can already see having issues playing pubs and the elitists yelling more random shit at me.

Quit right out of the game and went back to my Majora's Mask run and Marvel 3 tournament training. Never again.

For those not following dota 2, awhile back there was an item datamined that gave you a pass out of a low priority queue for 5$.

The only way you can get into a low priority queue is either abandoning too many games or just being an asshat in general.

They're also selling cosmetic items and announcer packs, but the cosmetic items work like tf2 loadouts (no stats) and fit a part of the characters armor.

fallengorn

High Tower can last just as long as a DOTA game :(

That's true, but those matches are scattered in between not-so-long rounds of High Tower and other maps. And if you're really sick of it, for the most part, you can drop out without pissing everyone off.

With DOTA you're stuck on the same map. And if you drop out, it can really suck for everyone else.

That's true, but those matches are scattered in between not-so-long rounds of High Tower and other maps. And if you're really sick of it, for the most part, you can drop out without pissing everyone off.

With DOTA you're stuck on the same map. And if you drop out, it can really suck for everyone else.

True. I dunno, I haven't had any terrible DOTA2 experiences yet. Though I've only played with relatively chill GAFers, and some randoms that were actually pretty nice people.

Hopefully whatever Valve implements will help weed out the assholes.

inky

You know who ended up yelling at me the jargon and obscenities? The same dudes that I like to call "friends". And the was the first time ever that happened with them. We usually fuck around and do dirty jokes and crap. But I was instantly turned off 10 minutes into the game. I can already see having issues playing pubs and the elitists yelling more random shit at me.

While it is true that these types of games usually bring the worst out in people (and attract more terrible people at that) you probably need better friends. I mean, what were they expecting bringing you along to a game that has a million things going on and you haven't played before? Sounds like they were assholes all along if they were expecting you to know what to do the first time you played it. *shrugs*

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
For those not following dota 2, awhile back there was an item datamined that gave you a pass out of a low priority queue for 5$.

The only way you can get into a low priority queue is either abandoning too many games or just being an asshat in general.

They're also selling cosmetic items and announcer packs, but the cosmetic items work like tf2 loadouts (no stats) and fit a part of the characters armor.

I don't think there was any price on the get out of jail free card. I hope it isn't that cheap, though. $15-20 seems like a decent deterrent for leavers.

Anyway, microtransactions I will buy day 1:

-GLaDOS announcer pack
-Batrider everything
-Waifurunner everything

Maybe their built in rep system will separate the ass swipes from the relaxed, helpful people like myself. Add in things you can do to add to that rep so that you can play with the big boys.

Nothing is worse than spending 30+ minutes of your lifetime with whiners.

BeesEight

Your last point is absolutely true, which is why I'm sure DOTA's free content will be more than substantial.

It speaks to Valve's ability to laser-focus on price points ultrafans will pay, and DOTA has some of the most dedicated ultra-fans.

The only thing of value in crates are hats with special particles or weapons with stat tracking. Other than that, everything that costs any real amount of money is purely cosmetic. And most of the cosmetic items can be found in drops.

This is probably the best way to run F2P because there is no selling of power at all. A system like League of Legends would not work with Dota because you can't sell fundamental components of the gameplay without horribly disrupting the balance of the game.

Screw this game...

I mean. It's Valve. It's going to be pretty awesome. Hell, it most probably bring the most bucks of any game they have ever released. But I won't touch it. Even with a 10-foot... range from a wireless mouse and keyboard.

Just got an invite last week and my "buddies" set up a game online to let me test the waters and try it out.

Quit right out of the game and went back to my Majora's Mask run and Marvel 3 tournament training. Never again.

It gets better and not everyone's like that.

If you have any interest (which it sounds like you don't anymore), I'd suggest joining the NeoGaf Noobs channel or finding someone to help coach you a bit. Dota has a huge burden of knowledge on the player that can seem pretty daunting at first. But, with some guidance, it becomes readily accessible and is pretty damn fun.

Orayn

Maybe their built in rep system will separate the as swipes from the relaxed, helpful people like myself. Add in things you can do to add to that rep so that you can play with the big boys.

Nothing is worse than spending 30+ minutes of your lifetime with whiners.

As someone who would like to get into Dota, but is scared off by the unpleasant side of the community, I'd really like that.

As long as all current and future heros are available to all players I will not complain.

If not, I'd rather pay. Worst thing that happened to HoN was when it went F2P because new people are stuck with like 15 heros out of the 100 available.

JustinBB7

Tribes model would be nice or LoL too.

With Hats.

I don't play LoL but I know that you need to pay for heroes, which would be a disgusting system. I saw that model in Super Monday Night Combat as well, turned me off from playing the game.

Really wonder what the twist will be. Seems like money is involved. But TF2 already rewards people with money for their Steamworkshop items/maps etc. He talks like this will be something new.

Darkkn

Hope it's not the same model that LOL uses. It would be really annoying to get awful team comp just because of heroes available to choose for free this week.

Dota is such team based game that the LOL model is only suitable for very casual matches.

As long as all current and future heros are available to all players I will not complain.

If not, I'd rather pay. Worst thing that happened to HoN was when it went F2P because new people are stuck with like 15 heros out of the 100 available.

I'm hopeful that Valve won't lock away Heroes. They can probably already make a shitload off cosmetic items.

Top Bottom