• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF FOTY 2014-Fail Of The Year-Results- Winner of the 2014 shit sandwich goes to...

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Well deserved. IMO, it has set the image of "gamers" back years.

Smash88

Banned
People are not saying what they are just because they don't like his videos, dude.

I was just specifically replying to what Zomba said, "don't be a dick about the thing you don't like". Despite what TB is saying, sinking down to his level makes you (and just to clear up, not you specifically) no better than him.

Wait, what?

post-35884-that-dont-make-no-sense-gif-O-RZSo.gif

It makes perfect sense.

I was just specifically replying to what Zomba said, "don't be a dick about the thing you don't like". Despite what TB is saying, sinking down to his level makes you (and just to clear up, not you specifically) no better than him.

It makes perfect sense.

Well, a good rule of thumb is to attack the argument, not the person. As long as you stand by that, you won't look like a douche.

Smash88

Banned
Well, a good rule of thumb is to attack the argument, not the person. As long as you stand by that, you won't look like a douche.

Agreed. Well put.

When did anyone call Total Biscuit a scammer?

I've been lurking the GG thread since the start, I know way more than I care to admit, I've read a lot of things about him there. And well, you can search out the exact specifics in that thread.

Also, maybe not a scammer, but the names being thrown around about him are at times just as bad.

Also, maybe not a scammer, but the names being thrown around about him are at times just as bad.

So, uh, maybe give us examples and we'll explain the difference between someone making a video series about female tropes versus someone else saying that other person needs to stop breathing in order for GamerGate to win.

Any names I may have called total biscuit I'd be glad to repeat. He has monetized hate and supported GG so anyone catching feelings on his behalf has been fairly warned.

Nanashrew

Banned
Agreed. Well put.

I've been lurking the GG thread since the start, I know way more than I care to admit, I've read a lot of things about him there. And well, you can search out the exact specifics in that thread.

Well, how much did you see? TB keeps doing all that revisionist history like many GGers do. He is even in support of GG. TB has also stated that the reason he can't see any death threats Anita has received as credible "because frankly, she's still breathing." Or even just today he brought up Jenn Frank and said that there was no proof that GG threatened her and forced her out of the industry. Man, I saw it all with my own eyes, and all that happened that day. She was flooded with harassment by GamerGaters until she broke that everyone who knew or followed her was worried for her safety.

My reason for not liking him are for those reasons and more. He's a douchebag with a huge ego.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Agreed. Well put.

There's a big difference between insulting someone and calling them a criminal.

If someone calls me an asshole because of the content I put out, it may hurt my feelings, but there are no legal consequences to someone insulting me and it doesn't necessarily indicate any misconduct on my part.

If someone calls me a scammer, they're making a claim that is professionally damaging. The burden of proof is also on them to show evidence of my criminal behaviour, because spreading unfounded claims is slander.

That's why TotalButtsquirt is a childish but ultimimately meaningless thing for me to say, while saying Anita Scamskesian is spreading shit.

MormaPope

Banned
I was just talking about this with my friends. It really, really goes to show that profit is everything. Even Valve is staying silent, even after the memo fuck up.

Why would Valve of all companies speak up?

Speaking up would be a show of support and nothing else. "Nothing else" sounds pretty harsh or cynical, but calling misogynists bastards or assholes would probably make them shrug and then they'll continue being assholes. I personally have no idea if a end game can exist without some sort of social and/or cultural revolution on a grander scale.

Why would Valve of all companies speak up?

Speaking up would be a show of support and nothing else. "Nothing else" sounds pretty harsh or cynical, but calling misogynists bastards or assholes would probably make them shrug and then they'll continue being assholes. I personally have no idea if a end game can exist without some sort of social and/or cultural revolution on a grander scale.

People with voices that are heard bringing problems to light and working against the causes would definitely help bring change about. Not that Valve could do that anyway after caving on Hatred, but the point is that the industry at large values cash enough to ignore GG

How did Ubisoft not win?

They decided to fuck up in a year where even the blatant, unconcealed disrespect for their audience that is shown by shipping obviously unfinished garbage out to stores is still not even close to beating out the worst thing that happened, that's all.

It's sort of amazing that, in a year with so many full priced games that were broken at launch, there was still no doubt in my mind that gamergate was the worst. That's how bad gamergate was.

Exactly.

I would argue that Gamergate is the worst thing I've EVER seen in gaming, not just for this year.

I don't want to say "ever" just because I don't trust my memory or my ability to historically contextualize quite that far, but I first joined GAF a decade ago and it's easily the worst thing since then.

MormaPope

Banned
People with voices that are heard bringing problems to light and working against the causes would definitely help bring change about. Not that Valve could do that anyway after caving on Hatred, but the point is that the industry at large values cash enough to ignore GG

I honestly think those voices will mainly come from indie devs that were once at bigger studios or people that bow out of the industry completely. This industry is so goddamn secretive and enclosed, that people planting any sort flag down means "you're putting the company at risk, jobs at risk, fuck you, you're out". Bigger publishers and developers treat this business like they're selling illegal drugs.

And honestly, if you think buggy games are worse than the formation of a hate group based on games then you need to cleanse yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka.

MormaPope

Banned
And honestly, if you think buggy games are worse than the formation of a hate group based on games then you need to cleanse yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka.

While one is worse than the other, the fact that millions of dollars are spent creating products, and then those products don't fucking work as intended? I mean really, these companies spend millions of dollars on games that are either broken in multiple ways or have way too many fucking bugs for how much time and money went into them.

While one is worse than the other, the fact that millions of dollars are spent creating products, and then those products don't fucking work as intended? I mean really, these companies spend millions of dollars on games that are either broken in multiple ways or have way too many fucking bugs for how much time and money went into them.

Did I say the buggy games were without stain

Priorities for fucks sake

MormaPope

Banned
Did I say the buggy games were without stain

Priorities for fucks sake

Did I say otherwise? I'm just pointing out how comical it is that millions of dollars get sunk into projects that end up being shit, that's all. Someone could be bummed out by something without needing to rank it in a linear fashion.

SZips

Having seen the kind of terrible shit GG has done these past four months, I'm really not at all surprised at these results.

Did I say otherwise? I'm just pointing out how comical it is that millions of dollars get sunk into projects that end up being shit, that's all. Someone could be bummed out by something without needing to rank it in a linear fashion.

Yes they can.

And at the end of the day, this is a silly little forum thread.

But the point is that some things transparently, obviously, scream-from-the-mountaintops are worth more to be called out.

And I'm sorry but your opinion that companies should stay silent on the matter of their constituents calling for the overthrow of female devs is ridiculous.

MormaPope

Banned
What is your fucking point if you have one

I voiced how dumb and toxic GG is, I'm also bummed about the quality of games. That's it. Don't know why you're trying to start forum combat over that.

Yes they can.

And at the end of the day, this is a silly little forum thread.

But the point is that some things transparently, obviously, scream-from-the-mountaintops are worth more to be called out.

And I'm sorry but your opinion that companies should stay silent on the matter of their constituents calling for the overthrow of female devs is ridiculous.

Never said that, never inferred that. I'm questioning what would happen if they threw their voices out there, and I'm cynical of how positive the results would be.

Valve: "GamersGate people are a bunch of bigoted assholes."
Non assholes: "Yup."
GG people: "Fuck you Valve."

bedlamite

People still complaining about their buggy games at this point in the thread need to get their heads out of their asses for a bit. Games are games; I can't be arsed about GG but with a little research (really, the Twitter image in the OP says it all), it's easy to see the kind of adverse effect it has on gaming culture. I'm not downplaying this year's crop of plainly broken software and the kind of precedent this sets going forward, but it pales in comparison to stuff like general harrassment, bomb and death threats being inflicted upon an entire gender under the guise of keeping women out of gaming.

Never said that, never inferred that. I'm questioning what would happen if they threw their voices out there, and I'm cynical of how positive the results would be.

Valve: "GamersGate people are a bunch of bigoted assholes."
Non assholes: "Yup."
GG people: "Fuck you Valve."

Do you really think staying silent on the matter is going to help them?

The Story of Gamergate
Once upon a time in August, sociopaths, sexists, narcissists, rape apologists, sadists, stalkers, holocaust deniers, misogynists, various other assorted scumbags and idiots lacking in empathy, got together and decided that women, feminists and progressive politics should get the fuck out of video games. They've been harassing, stalking, insulting, defaming, falsely accusing, doxxing, blackmailing, threatening and whatever else ever since. The End.

Actually it's about ethics in games journalism, they said, to get useful idiots onboard.
Although recently gaters seem to have forgotten about that and nowadays are instead more actually about protecting artistic freedom against censorship.

Reading this back to myself...surely I must be exaggerating? I'm not. That one time Brianna Wu's dog was dying, and they tweeted saying what a shitty person she was and made jokes about how if they were her dog they'd want to die too, and then after her dog died they said she probably poisoned it and sent her pictures of injured pets to her. When others called them out on what despicable shitbags they are, other gaters jumped in to say things like "false flag" and "prove it was Gamergate". Like they always do, to protect Gamergate's image. That's what Gamergate is. Fucking sad, infuriating and depressing. It'd be funny if it wasn't for that.

Any names I may have called total biscuit I'd be glad to repeat. He has monetized hate and supported GG so anyone catching feelings on his behalf has been fairly warned.
He was doing fairly well before Gamergate, I very much doubt his support is financially motivated. Although I'm sure he didn't mind having this loud mob by his side during the TGA's.
I believe him when he says he cares about ethics. And by focusing on that point he gets to criticize traditional games media, and show that he's better. He wants Gamergate to be about this and tries to logic everything else away, inevitably failing miserably on occasion.

Basically I think he's an egotistical, inconsiderate asshole. Which would be relatively fine if it wasn't for him having such influence, while endorsing a hate group, revising history to make Gamergate look like a heroic consumer movement by making a (bad) case for the good and denying, ignoring, excusing the bad.

Unicorn

Wait, is the Gamergate fail the backlash from "gamers" or the fact that issues are being raised about feminism in games?

For being the most embarrassing moment of videogame history that I've witnessed and being condemned by most of the gaming industry like Blizzard (video) for one example, glad to have voted.

The funniest thing to come out of this with those Jordan Owen and fedora white nationalist Davis Aurini videos:

"The Sarkeesian Effect": A Measured Response

The turtleneck! Those toy skulls! $15,000! He moves the skulls between shots!

That Jordan Owen dude who visits strippers spent nearly an hour ranting about something in a bath tub XD
0.jpg

Top Bottom