• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games o' the Year Voting Thread 2007 (It has begun!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
EU:

1. Orange Box (Portal)
2. Monster Hunter Freedom 2
3. The Witcher
4. Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles
5. Final Fantasy Tactics Portable
6. Geometry Wars Retro Evolved
7. Jeanne D'Arc
8. World in Conflict
9. COD4 (for the multiplayer)
10. God Hand

Bioshock would probably have made it to my list, sadly didn't get the chance to play it.

jedimike

AniHawk said:
Every year there are more and more games voted in...

2004: 147 games
2005: 181 games
2006: 245 games
2007: 310 games

I think a lot of it is simply from GAF growing and people trying to be "l33t" by voting for an obscure game... the other part is that the industry is growing... and 3rdly, this was an awesome year of gaming.

Rolf NB

1. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
2. Ratchet&Clank Future: Tools Of Destruction
3. Resistance: Fall Of Man
4. Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition
5. God Of War II
6. The Orange Box
7. Etrian Odyssey
8. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
9. Ninja Gaiden Sigma

Region: Europe

Honorable mentions (not to be counted plz):
Timeshift
The most successful twist on fps gameplay in years, excellent design (setting, encounters, visuals).

Excite Truck
The core gameplay makes pretty much every other arcade racer obsolete, but it's so sadly short on unique content and actual progressing challenges that it fizzles out way too early. The framerate is also just barely acceptable.

Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga
A game based on a gajillion-dollar licensed property that, surprise, does not completely and utterly suck. I can respect that.

I'm from the U.S.

1. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
2. Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction
3. Super Mario Galaxy
4. Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow
5. Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection Online
6. Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters
7. Jeanne D'Arc
8. Brave Story: New Traveler
9. Folklore
10. Ar Tonelico

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
1. God of War 2
2. Contra IV
3. Phoenix Wright III
4. Persona 3
5. The Orange Box
6. Castlevania PSP
7. Jeanne D'Arc
8. Gurumin PSP
9. **** Raider: Anniversary Edition
10. Etrian Odyssey

(PS: the truth is that my personal GOTY has been, by far, SMT3, but sadly and obviously I was too lttp to vote for it :( .)

Stocka

Jesus christ, looking at the top 5 I realise what an incredible year in gaming 2007 has been. I voted Galaxy 1st and Bioshock 2nd, but now after getting Mass Effect for Xmas i'd probably place that top. I've had three of the best gaming experiences ever this year. It's funny too, after the excitement and hype for Halo 3 (was my most anticipated of 07) it doesn't even make top 3 for me or the majority.

1. Mass Effect
2. The Orange Box
3. Guitar Hero 2 (360)
4. Call of Duty 4
5. Rock Band
6. Halo 3
7. Sam and Max Season One
8. The Witcher
9. Crackdown
10. Assassin's Creed

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
US

1. Super Mario Galaxy
2. The Orange Box
3. Call of Duty 4
4. Halo 3
5. The Witcher
6. Resident Evil 4 Wii
7. Bioshock
8. GRAW2
9. Pokemon Pearl
10. Zelda: PH

radjago

1. Bioshock
2. Rock Band
3. The Orange Box
4. Call of Duty 4
5. Picross DS
6. Guitar Hero II
7. Gripshift
8. Halo 3
9. Crackdown
10. Pinball FX

Mudhoney

U.S.A.

1. Super Mario Galaxy
2. Rock Band
3. Metroid Prime 3
4. Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
5. Etrian Odyssey
6. Puzzle Quest
7. Zack and Wiki: Quest for Barbaros Treasure
8. Crush
9. Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition
10. Super Paper Mario

ckohler

Region: U.S.

1. The Orange Box (Portal)
2. Mass Effect
3. Crackdown
4. Halo 3
5. Elder Scrolls Oblivion: The Shivering Isles

BTW, Shivering Isles is currently listed twice at both 69th and 94th.

AniHawk

spindoc said:
Castlevania PSP is listed twice as well.

I copied and pasted them from an older document because I had lost several around that area. Obviously the higher ones were the correct ones. You think you get them all but... you forget about the eggs.

haircut

Region: U.S.

1 Mass Effect
2 The Orange Box (Portal)
3 Halo 3
4 Etrian Odyssey
5 Grim Grimoire
6 Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords

Eric Hall

1. Rock Band
2. Mass Effect
3. BioShock
4. Super Mario Galaxy
5. The Orange Box
6. Guitar Hero 2 (360)
7. Call of Duty 4
8. Guitar Hero 3
9. Virtua Fighter 5
10. Megaman ZX Advent

Region: NA

GhaleonEB

Through post 1175:

4. Mass Effect - 2476
5. Halo 3 - 2430
6. Call of Duty 4 - 2388

Incredibly tight spread between those games. I think this is the first time Halo 3 has been above CoD4 so far.

Edit: apparantly not! Going to be interesting to how those three end up.

AniHawk

GhaleonEB said:
Through post 1175:

4. Mass Effect - 2476
5. Halo 3 - 2430
6. Call of Duty 4 - 2388

Incredibly tight spread between those games. I think this is the first time Halo 3 has been above CoD4 so far.

It's actually the second or third time. Each one of those games has had the #4 spot at one point or another so far this week.

Mar

I was just about to say that Bioshock was starting to get a bit of a lead over Orange Box. But then I checked again and Orange Box is catching back up again. It's facinating to watch.

AniHawk

I'm a little surprised that latecomer Mass Effect never fell out of the top 5 while juggernaut Halo 3, which has a 33k-post topic, has only topped it once.

There's also a whoooole lot of Sin & Punishment posts not being counted because people won't read the damn first page. And there's plenty of people that did the one game or two game thing.

Ah well. Makes it easier on me.

I keep watching Rock Band silently creeping up that list (it was back in the 20s when I posted my list), hoping it can make it to the top 10. For a $170 game, I'm actually amazed that it's so high, but now I just wanna see it edge GoW2...

GhaleonEB

AniHawk said:
I'm a little surprised that latecomer Mass Effect never fell out of the top 5 while juggernaut Halo 3, which has a 33k-post topic, has only topped it once.

There's also a whoooole lot of Sin & Punishment posts not being counted because people won't read the damn first page. And there's plenty of people that did the one game or two game thing.

Ah well. Makes it easier on me.
I think at least part of that is the relative fields in each genre. Shooter fans on the 360 have Orange Box, Halo 3, Bioshock and Call of Duty 4 to rank. Mass Effect has Eternal Sonata and Blue Dragon in the RPG category, and neither of the latter two sold much. The RPG vote isn't really split.

Brashnir

GhaleonEB said:
I think at least part of that is the relative fields in each genre. Shooter fans on the 360 have Orange Box, Halo 3, Bioshock and Call of Duty 4 to rank. Mass Effect has Eternal Sonata and Blue Dragon in the RPG category, and neither of the latter two sold much. The RPG vote isn't really split.

that, and the general tendency for hype backlash on the internet.

AniHawk

GhaleonEB said:
I guess that's true. I thought Halo held a lot more weight here, I guess.

I'm surprised at how little people care for Half-Life 2 Episode 2 (specifically). When it's not simply "The Orange Box" being voted, usually it's just Portal and occasionally it's just TF2. HL2Ep2 was the best FPS I'd played all year (which only tops about two other games, but still). It had incredible level design, excellent animation, nice speed and weight to Gordon (which I was never able to adjust to in Bioshock), and wonderfully acted and developed characters.

GhaleonEB

Brashnir said:
that, and the general tendency for hype backlash on the internet.
Hype in general tends to backlash, not just on the Internet. But in this case I think there's just a lot of great games in the mix.

Brashnir

GhaleonEB said:
Hype in general tends to backlash, not just on the Internet. But in this case I think there's just a lot of great games in the mix.

no question about that. There have been a metric ton of great games this year. Hell, Halo 3 didn't even make the top 5 on my personal list, and I played through the campaign at least 4 times. It would have been my GOTY in 2006 by a country mile.

edit - as an aside, I think you could take the top 10 from the OP and re-order them randomly and there's not really a sequence I'd find objectionable.

1. Uncharted Drake's Fortune

2.COD4

3. UNreal Tournament 3 (ps3 version)

4. Rachet And Clank Tools Of destruction

5. Foklore

6. SuperStar Dust HD

szaromir

Banned
EU:
1. Halo 3
2. Crackdown
3. Runaway 2
4. Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts
5. Bioshock
6. Mass Effect
7. Prince of Persia Classic
8. Project Gotham Racing 4
9. NHL 08
10. Carcassonne

Basically 360/PC gamer only. Still haven't played many great games.

Mar

AniHawk said:
nice speed and weight to Gordon (which I was never able to adjust to in Bioshock)

Interesting you should say that. Because to me, the HL engine in general never worked for me. I was constantly frustrated by the movement, weight, speed etc in all the games that featured it, ever since the first. I've always preferred the responsive, smooth feel of control in the Quake games for instance, and even Bioshock I guess. Even though the combat in Bioshock was absolute shit.

Jirotrom

Region:US

1.Super Mario Galaxy
2.Orange Box
3. Virtua Fighter 5
4. Rock Band
5.Zack and Wiki
6. Persona 3
7. COD4
8. Mass Effect
9. God of war 2
10. Metroid Prime 3

Region: EU, though I import most of my games from the US.

1. BioShock
2. God of War II
3. The Orange Box
4. Persona 3
5. Uncharted
6. Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction
7. Odin Sphere
8. Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions

Xavien

I'm surprised at how close Bioshock and Orange Box are to each other. I keep expecting one to just break-away from the other.

Mar_ said:
Interesting you should say that. Because to me, the HL engine in general never worked for me. I was constantly frustrated by the movement, weight, speed etc in all the games that featured it, ever since the first. I've always preferred the responsive, smooth feel of control in the Quake games for instance, and even Bioshock I guess. Even though the combat in Bioshock was absolute shit.

I'll agree with that for the most part, movement on the HL engine feels like hovering on the cushion of air just slightly above the ground.

Xavien said:
I'll agree with that for the most part, movement on the HL engine feels like hovering on the cushion of air just slightly above the ground.
Thats the problem with visual feedback only oh and i guess people are used to the fact that the character would stop moving the moment you let go of the button.

Alts

To me, more interesting than the movement of individual games on the list, is the number of lists that contain games from only one console.

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
AniHawk said:
I'm surprised at how little people care for Half-Life 2 Episode 2 (specifically). When it's not simply "The Orange Box" being voted, usually it's just Portal and occasionally it's just TF2. HL2Ep2 was the best FPS I'd played all year (which only tops about two other games, but still). It had incredible level design, excellent animation, nice speed and weight to Gordon (which I was never able to adjust to in Bioshock), and wonderfully acted and developed characters.
I agree completely; I voted for the Orange Box mainly because of ep2, but Portal is awesome too and you said it would count as a single vote towards whole package anyway, so I didn't bother, and I'm sure a lot of people are on the same boat. Ep2 was the best fps released this year hands down.

Chinner

Banned
1. Mass Effect
2. Mario Galaxy
3. Halo 3
4. COD4
5. Orange Box
6. Hotel Dusk
7. Crackdown
8. Blue Dragon
9. The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
10. Assassin's Creed

AniHawk

Mar_ said:

I thought there was some really cool effect at first, with your character in Bioshock being weighed down by water. Then it turns out that, nope, he really is that heavy. That wasn't my biggest complaint about Bioshock/praise for HL though (level design takes it :/).

Cheech

1. Bioshock
2. Mass Effect
3. Call of Duty 4
4. Rock Band
5. Shadowrun
6. Earth Defense Force 2017
7. Halo 3
8. Puzzle Quest
9. The Orange Box
10. Uncharted

Uncle

140. Sensible World of Soccer - 14
197. SWOS - 7

These are the same game (or else some other game needs a new acronym).

AniHawk

Uncle said:
140. Sensible World of Soccer - 14
197. SWOS - 7

These are the same game (or else some other game needs a new acronym).

Thanks. I had no fucking clue what SWOS stood for and when I had time to ask, I forgot about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom