• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games o' the Year Voting Thread 2008

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
1. soul bubbles
2. korg ds10
3. lost winds
4. de blob
5. boom blox
6. endless ocean
7. space invaders extreme
8. TvC
9. LBP
10. NMH

Darkpen

Banned
1. Metal Gear Solid 4
2. LittleBigPlanet
3. Valkyria Chronicles
4. Devil May Cry 4
5. Yakuza 2
6. Bionic Commando: Rearmed
7. Grand Theft Auto 4
8. Prince of Persia
9. Burnout Paradise
10. Space Invaders Extreme

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
1. MGS4
2. Little Big Planet
4. NHL 09
5. Dead Space
6. Fallout 3
7. GTA 4
8. Mario Kart Wii
9. Resistance 2
10. Guitar Hero World Tour

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Hmm

1. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
2. LittleBigPlanet
3. Rock Band 2
4. Burnout Paradise
5. Super Smash Brothers Brawl
6. Left4Dead
7. Fallout 3
8. Gears of War 2
9. Grand Theft Auto IV
10. Boom Blox

I haven't opened Persona4 yet. =\

1. Persona 4
2. Rock Band 2
3. Pixel Junk Eden
4. Little Big Planet
5. Metal Gear Solid 4
6. Persona 3 FES
7. The Witcher: Enhanced Edition
8. Left 4 Dead
9. Yakuza 2
10. Fallout 3

AniHawk

Schrade said:
Has there ever been a poll on what current consoles people own on NeoGAF? That'd be interesting...

There was one a few years back about which company you like most (Nintendo, Nintendo + Sony, Nintendo + Microsoft, Microsoft, Microsoft + Sony, or Sony). Or maybe it was console. Can't remember. It was right around the time the PS3 and Wii were coming out so those results are a bit dated. Even further back was a poll in the OT that asked for age, political affiliation, and favorite console maker, and the majority of the latter went for Nintendo.

AniHawk

drohne said:
nice to see mgs and lbp wrecking shit, but no mirror's edge or braid in the top 10 is kind of fail

I wonder that if Mirror's Edge was a console exclusive, it would have done better. I think it explains some of Valkyria's performance.

I think Braid's price killed its chances of appearing in the top ten. People will gladly pay anywhere between $30-$60 for a 8 hour game, but ask $15 for a 3 hour game and it's suddenly too much.

Haeleos

1. Bionic Commando ReArmed
2. Burnout Paradise
3. Gears of War 2
4. Rez HD
5. Braid
6. Castle Crashers
7. N+
8. Banjo Kazooie Nuts & Bolts
9. Left4Dead
10. Dead Space

JohnsonUT

1. Mother 3
2. Professor Layton
3. Gears of War 2
4. World of Goo
5. Geometry Wars 2
6. Chrono Trigger DS
7. Castle Crashers
8. Boom Blox
9. GTA4
10. Smash: Brawl

Amir0x

Banned
AniHawk said:
I wonder that if Mirror's Edge was a console exclusive, it would have done better. I think it explains some of Valkyria's performance.

I think Braid's price killed its chances of appearing in the top ten. People will gladly pay anywhere between $30-$60 for a 8 hour game, but ask $15 for a 3 hour game and it's suddenly too much.

To be honest, I just think Braid was not nearly as interesting as GAF hype made it to seem. Don't get me wrong, some of the puzzles were ingenius... but it wasn't only 3 hours long. They reused entire layouts (only implementing new time angles to them), the story was in the form of text vomit (some incredibly obtuse musing about the atomic bomb) and when you add in the short nature of the game it then becomes a bit of a problem.

But price was not the issue to me at all.

AniHawk

Amir0x said:
To be honest, I just think Braid was not nearly as interesting as GAF hype made it to seem. Don't get me wrong, some of the puzzles were ingenius... but it wasn't only 3 hours long. They reused entire layouts (only implementing new time angles to them), the story was in the form of text vomit (some incredibly obtuse musing about the atomic bomb) and when you add in the short nature of the game it then becomes a bit of a problem.

But price was not the issue to me at all.

I'm referring to the people who didn't buy it because it was $15. Playing it and not liking it is a different thing.

I didn't care for the story either, but the rest of the game was so good it didn't matter. The fact that it's presented as pretty much skippable is a plus, actually (kinda like with Mirror's Edge, though I think Mirror's Edge has longer playability in addition to the better music and stronger art direction, which is why I ranked it higher).

Amir0x

Banned
AniHawk said:
I'm referring to the people who didn't buy it because it was $15. Playing it and not liking it is a different thing.

Right, well I was saying I think in addition to the $15 price tag, there might have been plenty of people who purchased it and just didn't like it (and thus hurting its chances of appearing in the top ten further).

Anihawk said:
I didn't care for the story either, but the rest of the game was so good it didn't matter. The fact that it's presented as pretty much skippable is a plus, actually (kinda like with Mirror's Edge, though I think Mirror's Edge has longer playability in addition to the better music and stronger art direction, which is why I ranked it higher).

Well yeah but I think it's preeeetty undeniable that the game attempts to put an obscene amount of symbolism into the gameplay itself, and thus you tend to glide back to thinking about the story as a major part of the game, which is a distraction because well it's not so amazing.

Anyway I don't hate Braid I just think it was not quite the eye opener some made it to be. A few of the puzzles WERE some of the best I've ever seen in gaming, but it's just such a small chunk of everything.

AniHawk

Amir0x said:
Right, well I was saying I think in addition to the $15 price tag, there might have been plenty of people who purchased it and just didn't like it (and thus hurting its chances of appearing in the top ten further).

Well yeah but I think it's preeeetty undeniable that the game attempts to put an obscene amount of symbolism into the gameplay itself, and thus you tend to glide back to thinking about the story as a major part of the game, which is a distraction because well it's not so amazing.

Anyway I don't hate Braid I just think it was not quite the eye opener some made it to be. A few of the puzzles WERE some of the best I've ever seen in gaming, but it's just such a small chunk of everything.

Okay, I can see that.

At least we can agree that Mirror's Edge's placement is a damn shame.

Oh, and I finally got around to playing the L4D demo I downloaded a while ago. I had two days of my free month of XBLA Gold and damn was it awesome (well, until the one guy just started team killing everyone in the final safe room). I'd probably place it below Mirror's Edge if I played the whole thing.

Amir0x

Banned
I played Left 4 Dead so much, but the xbox 360 online experience is starting to get ruined because there's a lot of glitches and exploits that they haven't patched out yet. I hope they get to it, and add the extra campaigns and the flamethrower/boss infected, 'cause I could see me playing this for years if they do

Takuhi

1. Tales of Vesperia
2. Valkyria Chronicles
3. The World Ends With You
4. Fable II
5. Braid
6. Lost Odyssey
7. Wild Arms XF
8. Dead Space
9. Final Fantasy IV DS
10. The Last Remnant

daegan

Doing this a bit differently than I've done it the past couple years - my text blocks are going to be written here first and copied over to my personal journal later, rather than copying from there. So here goes. (Also I disqualified Chrono Trigger DS from my personal list because it's just not FAIR.)

1. Persona 4: How does PS2 get an unabashed GOTY nod from me? How does it top a game I spent well over $500 and took a week off of work to finally get to play? I'm really not sure, but somehow it happened and I'm okay with that. Letting you control the party directly is a double-edged sword. It removes a lot of frustrations in boss battles but quickly becomes a crutch you can't toss away. The graphics are dated (duh) but the team at Atlus figured out how to use the camera to great effect here to help the game appear more dynamic. Soundtrack is wonderful as well, and the characters are a joy - there's no Fuuka or Aegis here. When they get around to a P5, I'd like a slightly deeper S.Link system; but then that'll put even more demands on an already taxed translation team... ;D But honestly that's the only complaint I can level at this game.

2. Metal Gear Solid 4: This game is always going to be, to me, its final three acts. There is so much possibility in the more open gameplay you experience in the first two acts. The game is so radically different in South America and the Middle East that the rest of the game, while incredibly enjoyable, feels like an afterthought. BUT. That afterthought is so impeccably constructed that it's still better than every other game that came out this year (other than the above). I'll save all the controls and graphics praise and just say that I enjoyed how much more "grown-up" the soundtrack was to this entry...it really fit the sense of time passing since the previous missions that you get as you play the game.

3. The World Ends With You: Never before has a game had so many subsystems and almost all of them be unnecessary to finish the game. An RPG that never lets you get stuck or impossibly frustrated is remarkable; one with a storyline with so much under-the-surface is a treat. All the extra stuff like Tin Pin Slammer, collecting the reports, using the sleep mode... Wonderful game. Just wish Neku wasn't such a typical modern RPG douche lead for 90% of the game.

4. Rock Band 2: I tried really hard not to score this this high. The amount of time I spent playing it disagreed.

5. Mirror's Edge: Lots of critics have complained about the death rate in this game. Either you love trial and error or you hate it; I love it and the load times are super-quick so it's not a big deal to me. The controls make sense in a way that I never thought they would and the enemies are quick to swarm you the second you're open. A sequel should be a tad longer though, and maybe offer multiple paths through an area?

6. Wipeout HD: The most visually impressive game I've ever seen (let's see your favorite game not drop frames at 1080p/60fps). I seem to have hit a dead spot in my progression, and I still really dislike the barrel roll, but it seems that it's here to stay. This would be multiple spots higher if the online weren't so barebones.

7. LittleBigPlanet: I never in a million years expected the challenge the story levels present towards the end. I've played a ton of wonderful levels (libidius!) that challenge what I thought could be done in a console game editor. When will someone make an accurate Aggro Crag?

8. Super Smash Bros. Brawl: It has a classic Donkey Kong stage. It has Snake. It has a level creator. Too bad the online is weak and there isn't more to created stages. The roster is huge and thoughtful and the Final Smash always makes the whole room go "OHMYGODCRAPGOGOGO". Making it work with the Cube controller (even though I prefer the classic) saved this for a lot of people.

9. Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix: Confession: I am 100% a better Puzzle Fighter player than I am a SF2 player. Despite my hilariously inept play, this game takes me back to my youth in a less anger-inducing way thanks to pretty graphics, online play that lets me always find someone new when I get sick of losing to the same guy, and thoughtful little additions like the dipswitch settings or the way the control settings work.

10. No More Heroes: When the first thing you hear in a game is "fuckhead", you know it'll be good. Reviews called NMH out for not having enough to do in its open world and that the chores felt like chores. Well, uh, that's why they're not jobs you're going to WANT. I liked that I didn't have to be distracted from hunting the next guy on the list. The partial-waggle control scheme really maintains a sense of being in command while upping the sheer ferocity of the combat.

Tabris

1) Metal Gear Solid 4
2) Final Fantasy VII Crisis Core
3) Suikoden (PSN) (Just because it's now portable without learning JP or having to use custom firmware for emulation)
4) Rock Band 2 (This has less to do with RB2 and more to do with RB in general)
5) Fable II
6) Gears of War II
7) Final Fantasy IV DS
8) Lost Odyssey
9) Valkyria Chronociles
10) Rez HD (I had never played

Normally I would have a game for Wii on here as I do enjoy playing games on the Wii but unfortunately while there was great games released this year, none of them were my style.

Looking at this list, I either need to play more games like LBP or Left 4 Dead, or this year was sorta disappointing. Luckily I REALLY loved MGS4, FFVII:CC and GoW2 (I would have ranked higher but I just got the chance to play it and done 3/4 co-op campaign with a friend)

Chemo

01 - Metal Gear Solid 4
02 - No More Heroes
03 - Chrono Trigger
04 - Mirror's Edge
05 - LittleBigPlanet
06 - Bionic Commando Rearmed
07 - Final Fantasy IV
08 - WipEout HD
09 - PixelJunk Eden
10 - The Last Guy

Ephemeris

2. Fable II
3. Grand Theft Auto IV
4. Left 4 Dead
5. Gears of War 2
6. Little Big Planet
7. Devil May Cry 4
8. Resistance 2
9. Patapon
10. Dead Space

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Oblivion said:
Wow, SSBB at 9th place? Guess that says a lot about how it disapointed. :lol
Honestly I'm surprised it's in the top ten. The general disappointment surrounding it (nothing could ever live up to the hype "The Dojo" created, as good as the blog was, it probably hurt the game for the hardcore players who followed its perspective) coupled with the Q1 release date had me thinking most had just forgotten about it.

shpankey

not an idiot
1. NHL 09
2. PixelJunk Monsters
3. Peggle Nights
4. Gears of War 2
5. Prince of Persia
6. Hot Shots Golf Open Tee 2
7. MLB 08: The Show
8. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
9. Dead Space
10. Fable II

FUCK! I don't want to leave off Tomb Raider Underworld or Devil May Cry 4 but it can't fit. Here's to a great year!!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
shpankey said:
1. NHL 09
2. PixelJunk Monsters
3. Peggle Nights
4. Gears of War 2
5. Prince of Persia
6. Hot Shots Golf Open Tee 2
7. MLB 08: The Show
8. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
9. Dead Space
10. Fable II

FUCK! I don't want to leave off Tomb Raider Underworld or Devil May Cry 4 but it can't fit. Here's to a great year!!
For fucks sake, switch it to another game. It's DMC4, you know you love it more then, let's say, PoP.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Seiken said:
For fucks sake, switch it to another game. It's DMC4, you know you love it more then, let's say, PoP.
Oh come now. Have we really degenerated into begging for votes already?

Xater

Rez>You said:
Honestly I'm surprised it's in the top ten. The general disappointment surrounding it (nothing could ever live up to the hype "The Dojo" created, as good as the blog was, it probably hurt the game for the hardcore players who followed its perspective) coupled with the Q1 release date had me thinking most had just forgotten about it.

I am actually disapponted it is int he top 10. I mean it's a good game but so not top 10 material. There were alot of better games this year.

I would pick any of those over SSB:

11. Braid - 1103
12. Burnout Paradise - 1050
13. Rock Band 2 - 925
14. Mirror's Edge - 849
15. Wipeout HD - 815
16. Persona 4 - 803

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Rez>You said:
Oh come now. Have we really degenerated into begging for votes already?
You're right, but come on: 27. Devil May Cry 4 - 430

Clearly people forgot about DMC4 since it came out in Feb...

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Xater said:
I am actually disapponted it is int he top 10. I mean it's a good game but so not top 10 material. There were alot of better games this year.
While I found the game to be fun for the month or so I played it, I agree. In a year as packed as this one it's a shame that it's taking a spot. But then it was the only Nintendo game worth jack-shit this year, so I suppose I can see why.

Seiken said:

I've only just started playing through the PC version, and am enjoying it so far (I'm up to the secret lab with Nero mission). It has a few niggling flaws here and there, but so far so good.

Xater

Seiken said:

As much as I liked it, it was not top 10 material for me. I enjoyed some of the downladable titles much more than DMC4.

@Rez>You: Hmm maybe. It's not as a great year for Nintendo as 2k7 that's for sure.

shpankey

not an idiot
Seiken said:
i love the game but don't get carried away now. ;) i love me some PoP, in fact, my only issue with it being on my list is i think i might should have put it higher. :D

kaskade

1. Grand Theft Auto 4
3. Metal Gear Solid 4
4. LittleBigPlanet
5. Burnout Paradise
6. Prince of Persia
7. Left 4 Dead
8. Gears of War 2
9. Bionic Commando Rearmed
10. Rock Band 2

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Rez>You said:

The fact that it's the best selling, best reviewed/critically accliamed version of the series released world wide doesn't mean anything either?

I'm slightly surprised it's not higher

Kusagari

2. Tales of Vesperia
3. The World Ends With You
4. Fallout 3
5. Gears of War 2
6. Fable 2
7. Super Smash Bros: Brawl
8. Braid
9. Rock Band 2
10. Persona 4

Xater

John Harker said:
The fact that it's the best selling, best reviewed/critically accliamed version of the series released world wide doesn't mean anything either?

I'm slightly surprised it's not higher

That usually means nothing on GAF.

nny

Something like this:

1 - Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaro's Treasure (EU)
2 - Valkyria Chronicles
3 - Professor Layton and the Curious Village
4 - Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen
5 - Burnout Paradise
6 - Yakuza 2
7 - Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney
8 - LittleBigPlanet
9 - Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core
10 - PixelJunk Eden

Jonsoncao

Banned
1. The Last Remnant
2. Banjo Kazooie Nuts n Bolts
3. Tales of Vesperia
4. Braid
5. Fallout 3
6. Culdcept Saga
7. Rez HD
8. Geometry Wars 2
9. Castle Crashers
10. Burnout Paradise

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
1) no more heroes
2) mario kart wii
3) burnout paradise
4) apollo justice
5) shaun white snowboarding: road trip
6) advance wars: days of ruin
7) geometry wars galaxies (EU)
8) bioshock
9) brawl
10) metal slug 7

why I edited:
I changed Space Inv. Extreme to Geometry Wars Galaxies because I didn't remember the game was '08 and not '07 (came out in January) and since I'm happy with how SIE has fared rank-wise I don't feel like switching with any other game. GWG is probably in my top 5 Wii and definitely in my top10 DS, the games are so different playing-wise that both were worth my money, dunno how many hours I've played the DS game and the Wii game was like the hardocore version of that.

1) Dead Space -The best Horrorgame I played since RE4. They really nailed the atmosphere of what (I think) a trip on an isolated spaceship would be like.

2) Prince of Persia -Absolutely magical experience. One of the most beautiful games I ever played.

3) Assassin's Creed (PC) -Very underrated, in my opinion. It's certainly more about the experience...At first I was disappaointed but I gave it a 2nd chance. I really appreciate what it tried to do and imo they succeeded.

4) GRID -Just the best and most rewarding racing game of 2008, for me :)

5) Fallout 3 -Very atmospheric Action-RPG. A place in the top 5 is justified.

Chittagong

Gold Member
1. Grand Theft Auto IV
2. Lost Odyssey
5. Metal Gear Solid 4
6. WipeOut HD
7. Gears of War 2
8. Little Big Planet
9. Siren Blood Curse

Top Bottom