• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games o' the Year Voting Thread 2008

tanod

when is my burrito
Amir0x said:
i gotta say i am a little surprised MGS4 made it so high. Not because it's bad or good (I haven't played it), but because it seemed there has been a LOT of backlash vs. this game, as opposed to MGS3 which most people loved post-camera change.

Unlike a lot of other big games, the backlash pendulum always swings back (LOLZ Bettenhausen) with the MGS games.

After all the other games come out later in the year, people remember that those games are still one of the most unique and engaging experiences on game consoles.

Majora

1. Left 4 Dead
2. Braid
3. Fallout 3
4. Fable 2
5. Mario Kart Wii
6. LittleBigPlanet
7. Bionic Commando Rearmed
8. GTA 4
9. Dead Space
10. FIFA 09

1. Super Smash Bros. Brawl
2. Spore
4. Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift
5. Wii Music
6. World of Goo
7. Art Style: CUBELLO
8. Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney

New-to-me games that might be up there if they weren't old: Fable: The Lost Chapters, Phoenix Wright: Trials and Tribulations, Final Fantasy III DS, Final Fantasy VI Advance.

tanod said:
Unlike a lot of other big games, the backlash pendulum always swings back (LOLZ Bettenhausen) with the MGS games.

After all the other games come out later in the year, people remember that those games are still one of the most unique and engaging experiences on game consoles.

It's always humorous to watch the GAF backlash on very good games. Always so silly.

PBalfredo

1. Mother 3
2. Super Smash Bros Brawl
3. Soul Calibur IV
4. Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
5. Bionic Commando Rearmed
6. World of Goo
7. Braid

Mar

I'm absolutely shocked with how many GAFfers have a PS3. I don't pay attention to the console wars, nor the console war threads here. But from my browsing of the forum I honestly thought PS3 owners were in the minority by a very large margin. Either the PS3 fans are quieter than I realised, or the 360 fans make a big deal of PS3 news which goes mostly uncontested by others.

Seeing 3 PS3 system exclusives in the top 10, with 2 of them taking up numbers 1 and 2. Was just something I really never expected.

Mar_ said:
I'm absolutely shocked with how many GAFfers have a PS3. I don't pay attention to the console wars, nor the console war threads here. But from my browsing of the forum I honestly thought PS3 owners were in the minority by a very large margin. Either the PS3 fans are quieter than I realised, or the 360 fans make a big deal of PS3 news which goes mostly uncontested by others.

Seeing 3 PS3 system exclusives in the top 10, with 2 of them taking up numbers 1 and 2. Was just something I really never expected.

The PS3 is lacking in sales, no so much in game quality. It's right up there with the 360, imho.

AniHawk

Mar_ said:

When it starts slowing down like this, I start on the awards thread early. As of now, 4 PS3 exclusives take up category-winning spots (including GotY), versus 1 for DS, 2 for Wii, and 1 for 360. According to GAF voters, 2008 looks like it pretty much was the year of the PS3.

Now for something completely different: As of right now, the rankings in this thread are about 2000 points behind the rankings in the 2007 thread. The big difference is that the top 10 2007 games have about 8000 points on the top 10 2008 games. I think this is due to less people listing full top tens this year, but I also think it's partly due to a miscalculation in SMG's score. At one point when I was adding it up, I accidentally left out a digit when I updated. I either put the digit in the incorrect spot, put an incorrect digit in the right spot, or both. The game still won by at least 1400 points last year, but I think that's where the discrepancy is.

1. Super Street Fighter II Turbo: HD Remix
2. Fable II
3. Gears of War 2
4. Mario Kart Wii
5. Grand Theft Auto IV
6. Little Big Planet
7. Professor Layton and the Curious Village
8. Super Smash Bros Brawl
9. Call of Duty: World at War
10. Metal Gear Solid 4

1. Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts
2. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
3. Fallout 3
4. Fable 2
5. Gears of War 2
6.Grand Theft Auto IV
7. Left 4 Dead
8. LittleBigPlanet
9. Dead Space
10. Motorstorm: Pacific Rift

Woffls

1. Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts
2. Fable II
3. Grand Theft Auto IV
4. Super Smash Bros. Brawl
5. Guitar Hero World Tour
6. Mirror's Edge
7. Fallout 3
8. Super Street Figher II Turbo HD Remix
9. Banjo-Kazooie
10. Gears of War 2

Purely derived from the amount of fun I've had out of the game, except Fallout because I'm still very early on and am just assuming I will enjoy it to that extent.

... I just wanna' vote for Mass Effect D':
2007 was FAR better than this year. Looking back on it, the quality of last year's line up is absolutely remarkable.

vetrox

1.Fallout 3
2.Grand Theft Auto IV
3.Professor Layton and the Curious Village
4.Mount & Blade
5.Crysis Warhead
6.The World Ends With You
7.Boom Blox
8.Castlevania: OoE
9.World of Goo
10.Braid

Follow-ups:
Advance Wars: DoR
N+
Bangai-o Spirits
Gears of War 2
Soul Bubbles
Mirrors Edge

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
1. Metal Gear Solid 4
2. Gears of War 2
3. WipEout HD

Yeah, that's all I can think of for now, too many games to put in order for the remaining spots, and some games I haven't even played that I'm sure would make it on my list (like Dead Space). So I think I'll settle with a top 3 this year. :)

bonesquad

1. Metal Gear Solid 4
2. LittleBigPlanet
3. Rock Band 2
3. World of Goo
4. GH: World Tour
5. wipeout HD
6. Audiosurf
7. Mario Kart Wii
8. PixelJunk Eden
9. Dizzy Bee! (iPhone)
10. You Have to Burn the Rope...

Jesiatha

1 Rock Band 2
2 Professor Layton and the Curious Village
3 Braid
4 Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2
5 Fable II
6 N+
7 Kingdom for Keflings
8 Chrono Trigger DS

Flunkie

Banned
1. Metal Gear Solid 4
2. LittleBigPlanet
3. MotorStorm Pacific Rift
4. Fallout 3
5. Resistance 2
6. Burnout Paradise
7. Mirrors Edge
8. WipEout HD
9. A Kingdom for Keflings
10. Grand Theft Auto IV

Tabris

This thread gives me faith in NeoGAF gamers when I had no faith before.

This thread also makes me want to play LBP and Left 4 Dead as I haven't played those yet and if NeoGAF can vote my favorite game as first, then those games must be great.

AniHawk

Tabris said:
This thread gives me faith in NeoGAF gamers when I had no faith before.

This thread also makes me want to play LBP and Left 4 Dead as I haven't played those yet and if NeoGAF can vote my favorite game as first, then those games must be great.

I only played the demo for L4D, but it was pretty fucking amazing. Well, until the one guy in my team started team-killing in the last room. That kinda sucked. But the rest was neato.

Pretty much anything with "Valve" on it is gold as far as FPS goes. Valve and Starbreeze are the only companies I trust when it comes to the genre anymore.

Xater

Stoney Mason said:
It's always humorous to watch the GAF backlash on very good games. Always so silly.

Like GTA4 but it seems like it will have it's place in the top ten.

I really hope for Valkyria tha tit will stay in the top 10. It's such an amazing game and alot more people should play it.

Kuroyume

Banned
01. Left 4 Dead
02. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
03. Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts
04. Bionic Commando: Rearmed
05. Castle Crashers
06. Rez HD
07. Galaga Legions
08. Super Street Fighter II Turbo: HD Remix
09. N+
10. Aces of the Galaxy

pilonv1

1. Fallout 3
2. Saints Row 2
3. Football Manager 2009
4. Lost Odyssey
5. Fable 2
6. Pure
7. Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts
8. N+
9. Sega Superstars Tennis
10. Far Cry 2

Mar

AniHawk said:
I only played the demo for L4D, but it was pretty fucking amazing. Well, until the one guy in my team started team-killing in the last room. That kinda sucked. But the rest was neato.

I was actually disappointed with l4d. While it's great fun playing multiplayer, it lacks any sort of interesting single player element. I understand it's a multiplayer game at heart, like Quake 3 for instance. But I honestly had more fun fighting bots in Q3 than playing the single player in l4d. The single player in l4d is quite honestly, mind numbingly boring.

Nothing wrong with that really. Just for me, a person who rarely plays with randoms and has had difficulty playing with friends who have been busy lately, it has been one of the biggest disappointments of the year.

Knox

Mar_ said:
I was actually disappointed with l4d. While it's great fun playing multiplayer, it lacks any sort of interesting single player element. I understand it's a multiplayer game at heart, like Quake 3 for instance. But I honestly had more fun fighting bots in Q3 than playing the single player in l4d. The single player in l4d is quite honestly, mind numbingly boring.

Nothing wrong with that really. Just for me, a person who rarely plays with randoms and has had difficulty playing with friends who have been busy lately, it has been one of the biggest disappointments of the year.
You should try with randoms, this is probably the only co-op game where it's actually fun. I like to look at it this way, if there's an actual zombie apocalypse, chances are you'll be stuck with whatever random people happened to survive. It adds to the whole "each play through is different" thing. Plus I think the game does a great job of communicating for you, something that other games don't always take into account.

Knox said:
You should try with randoms, this is probably the only co-op game where it's actually fun. I like to look at it this way, if there's an actual zombie apocalypse, chances are you'll be stuck with whatever random people happened to survive. It adds to the whole "each play through is different" thing. Plus I think the game does a great job of communicating for you, something that other games don't always take into account.

Heh. Well put. I agree, as well. I've found random playthroughs to be great fun. It says something that I was able to complete an entire Scenario with random players (I think two of them remained the entire way through). It's no small investment of time doing only one thing, when you consider typical multiplayer experiences.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
BenjaminBirdie said:
Heh. Well put. I agree, as well. I've found random playthroughs to be great fun. It says something that I was able to complete an entire Scenario with random players (I think two of them remained the entire way through). It's no small investment of time doing only one thing, when you consider typical multiplayer experiences.
I rarely get to play with friends, 90% of my games are with randoms (my friends aren't huge gamers and I can't play with most of GAF thanks to living on an island out in the middle of the ocean), and I've played through each campaign an INSANE amount of times.

I'm just used to having to concede that the only way I'll be able to get enjoyment from online multiplayer games is to play with randoms. Between this and TF2 (which I just started playing recently, and it is AMAZING), my faith in online multiplayer games has been restored.

Yazan

1. Mother 3
2. Metal Gear Solid 4
3. Super Smash Brawl
4. Chrono Trigger DS
5. Apollo Justice
6. Little Big Planet
7. No More Heroes
8. GTAIV
9. Disgaea 3
10. Advance Wars: Days of Ruins

1. Fallout 3
2. Gears of War 2
3. Dead Space
4. Braid
5. Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
6. Fable 2
7. Bionic Commado: Rearmed
8. Left 4 Dead
9. Mirror's Edge
10. Lost Odyssey

rykomatsu

1. Valkyria Chronicles
2. Tears to Tiara (JPN)
3. Mana Khemia 2 (JPN)
4. X-Edge (JPN)
5. Little Big Planet
9. Disgaea 3
10. Otomedius G (JPN)

Rez>You said:
I rarely get to play with friends, 90% of my games are with randoms (my friends aren't huge gamers and I can't play with most of GAF thanks to living on an island out in the middle of the ocean), and I've played through each campaign an INSANE amount of times.

I'm just used to having to concede that the only way I'll be able to get enjoyment from online multiplayer games is to play with randoms. Between this and TF2 (which I just started playing recently, and it is AMAZING), my faith in online multiplayer games has been restored.

Do you play TF2 on 360?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
BenjaminBirdie said:
Do you play TF2 on 360?
Nah, PC. The couple of friends I have that occasionally play games play them on PC, so most of my multiplayer games are bought for it.

klee123

1. Valkyria Chronicles
2. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
3. Persona 4
4. Persona 3: Fes
5. Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
6. Ryu ga gotoku Kenzan
6. Little Big Planet
7. Left 4 dead (PC)
8. The World Ends With You
9. Final Fantasy IV DS
10. Monster Hunter Portable G