• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year 2014 - Voting Thread [voting closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doffen

1. Sunset Overdrive ; I had great expectation for this game yet it managed to exceed them. Humor, design and fun gameplay, perfect balanced for me.

2. Forza Horizon 2 ; The sequal to one of my favorite racers last gen, bigger and better in every way. And free roaming online was a great implementation. Really enjoyed it.

3. Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare ; This game caught me off guard. Superb gameplay and really enjoyable game modes. Good balance and just pure fun. Also free DLC.

4. Diablo III: Reaper of Souls
5. Titanfall
6. Wolfenstein: The New Order
7. Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

My list consist of games I managed to play in 2014, still got dozens of games from 2014 I didn't get to play.

Let's see. I'll make one real quick.

1. Bayonetta 2
2. Shovel Knight
3. Super Smash Bros. For Wii U
4. Mario Kart 8
5. The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
6. Kirby Triple Deluxe
7. Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc
8. Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth
9. Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair
10. Bravely Default

Too quick. ;) see the rules

1.Dragon Age Inquisition ; The major appeal of a game like Dragon Age hinges on 3 things for me: Combat, Characters, and Atmosphere. Thankfully DAI has all 3 in spades. The game plays great, looks great and had me searching out little journals throughout Thedas just to get a little more background on the lore. It was the only game this year that really put its hooks into me and never let go.

2.Wolfenstein New Order ; Best FPS I have played in years and who would have ever guessed that one of my favorite things about this game was the story.

3.Bayonetta 2 ; One of the best pure actions games I have played since Ninja Gaiden. I still don't care for the aesthetics nor the over-sexualized nature of the series but there is no denying it plays like a dream.

4.Destiny ; It does make me a little sick putting this on the list but for all I hate about this game it really did provide a amazing co-op experience. The first time you do the Vault of Glass raid with a bunch of your friends and you successfully beat it (With or without Cheese) was a great memory for me.

woopWOOP

No fancy images from me, I'm going quick 'n dirty.

1. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U ; Being a huge Nintendo nerd, a loveletter to Nintendo's history of games old and new alike like this is right up my alley. Oh, and the multiplayer aspect is a blast too. While Brawl was a bit of a letdown for me, this sequel did a lot of things right again. Plenty of trophy collectibles that aren't just model rips from other games, a ton of great rearranged music, a fun Mario Party style boardgame mode and an online mode that actually works! If this were the last one (yeah right), I'd say it'd be a good game to go out with.
2. Mariokart 8 ; Weird roster choices aside, this game is probably my favourite Mariokart to date. The presentation overall is a lot better compared to the Gamecube and Wii sequels and I love the attention to detail they gave to the tracks. The reimaginings of old tracks are really well done and it's been awhile that Mariokart's music was this catchy. I'll be honest, I can do without that antigravity feature however. The few tracks without antigravity are my favourite.
3. Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS ; It kind of feels like cheating putting the 3DS version in the same list as the WiiU one, but the 3DS version did do a lot of things different and right compared to the WiiU version. Smash Run is a very fun gamemode that's only possible with your very own screen, the 3DS' classic mode is a lot better than the WiiU's and I prefer a lot of the stages of the 3DS version to the WiiU stages. Those controls are easy to cramp your hands however.
4. Tomodachi Life ; Gameplay wise it's pretty shallow, but getting two Mii's hitched up and make offspring... there's something oddly fun about that.
5. Valiant Hearts: The Great War ; The puzzles in this game are so simple, even a bonehead like me can solve them without (too much) trouble. Very charming style to the game and I adore the extra attention to detail with the encyclopedia pages about certain events in WW1. First time I wanted to collect every hidden item in a game too with all the informative descriptions!
6. Shovel Knight ; NES style indie game done right. A nice mix of Megaman and Ducktales, with a few RPG elements added to the mix. The game can be difficult, but not frustrating.
7. Kirby: Triple Deluxe ; Like many Kirby platformers it's not too difficult, but still fun to play through. Finding all the keychains hidden in the stages was fun. The hyper nova ability felt kind of shoe-horned in however and the last world which had all these stages with only hyper nova segments was really awful to play through. In fact, I haven't finished the game yet because of that.
8. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze ; This game made me buy a WiiU! Atleast the soundtrack did. As soon I heard segments of that soundtrack I knew the time for waiting was over. As for the game itself, this platformer oozes with atmosphere and the stage layout never seems to stay put. There's always something going on or crashing down. I like it. I'm one of very few people who would be totally cool with Retro making another Donkey Kong Country sequel like this.
9. NES Remix 2 ; The Remix stages of this sequel are better and more creative. Other than that it's very much like the first one: fun and addicting.
10. The Banner Saga ; The strength system is different, but fun and the way choices have an effect on your party is appealing to me.

Honorable Mentions
x. Nintendo Pocket Football Club ; I don't bother with soccer in general, but this simple club manager even hooked me for awhile. I'll admit, it was mostly the goofy small human sprites.
x. Retro Game Crunch ; Collection of first generation NES style indie games. They're alright. The only reason I mention it is because of Wub-Wub Wescue, a Donkey Kong Arcade inspired puzzle game where you're a pug that has to rescue your owner from a bunch of jungle inhabitants by changing the rhythm of the background music that influences the stage's traps. I adore it.

Kurtofan

1.Dragon Age Inquisition

The major appeal of a game like Dragon Age hinges on 3 things for me: Combat, Characters, and Atmosphere. Thankfully DAI has all 3 in spades. The game plays great, looks great and had me searching out little journals throughout Thedas just to get a little more background on the lore. It was the only game this year that really put its hooks into me and never let go.

2.Wolfenstein New Order

Best FPS I have played in years and who would have ever guessed that one of my favorite things about this game was the story.

3.Bayonetta 2

One of the best pure actions games I have played since Ninja Gaiden. I still don't care for the aesthetics nor the over-sexualized nature of the series but there is no denying it plays like a dream.

4.Destiny

It does make me a little sick putting this on the list but for all I hate about this game it really did provide a amazing co-op experience. The first time you do the Vault of Glass raid with a bunch of your friends and you successfully beat it (With or without Cheese) was a great memory for me.

You need to put semi-colons after the game's name and the comment must start right after

I,e Bayonetta2 ; blablabla

Lingitiz

1.Dragon Age Inquisition

The major appeal of a game like Dragon Age hinges on 3 things for me: Combat, Characters, and Atmosphere. Thankfully DAI has all 3 in spades. The game plays great, looks great and had me searching out little journals throughout Thedas just to get a little more background on the lore. It was the only game this year that really put its hooks into me and never let go.

2.Wolfenstein New Order

Best FPS I have played in years and who would have ever guessed that one of my favorite things about this game was the story.

3.Bayonetta 2

One of the best pure actions games I have played since Ninja Gaiden. I still don't care for the aesthetics nor the over-sexualized nature of the series but there is no denying it plays like a dream.

4.Destiny

It does make me a little sick putting this on the list but for all I hate about this game it really did provide a amazing co-op experience. The first time you do the Vault of Glass raid with a bunch of your friends and you successfully beat it (With or without Cheese) was a great memory for me.

Ironic that the Grandmaster of official threads didn't read the OP.

Here goes...

10. Stealth Inc. 2 ; More of the same, but since the first Stealth Inc. was one of my favourite games of 2013, I'm totally okay with that.
9. Counterspy ; Loved the art style, loved the game play, just wish it could've been a little longer.
8. Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments ; I had way too many issues with this game, but I still really enjoyed it.
7. Deception IV ; It got super-repetitive after awhile, but that's okay -- I still had a blast finding inventive new ways to kill people.
6. Toukiden ; I've never liked Monster Hunter, and nearly all its Vita clones have left me cold, but for some reason I just really enjoyed -- and still enjoy, considering it's taking up precious space on my Vita's memory card -- Toukiden.
5. Shadow of Mordor ; It stole its best aspects from Batman and Assassin's Creed...but, hey, I don't mind a little thievery if it's of something I enjoy. I think it ended up being a little overrated, and I couldn't help but see Ecce Homo every time I looked at Talion's face (seriously, what's up with him looking so lousy when everything else looked decent?), but a good game nonetheless.
4. Murdered: Soul Suspect ; Unfortunately overlooked by a lot of people, but -- as the presence of Sherlock above shows -- I'm a fan of games involving solving mysteries. I didn't play it until the Christmas holidays, but I'm glad I have it a chance, because I ended up getting hooked on the game really quickly.
3. inFamous: Second Son ; My most anticipated game of 2014...and one that, somehow, totally lived up to those expectations. Second Son brought together two things I love (inFamous and Seattle) and it did so in a way that didn't diminish either. I'm a little disappointed that those rumours of an inFamous Vita game never came to fruition, but this softened that blow.
2. Mario Kart 8 ; The reason I bought a Wii U, and the reason I still have a Wii U.
1. Rogue Legacy ; I hate hard games; Rogue Legacy is super-hard. So hard that I rarely ventured beyond the first part of the castle, and I never came anywhere close to defeating a boss. Still, I was addicted to it. On my Vita, I found myself playing it every time I had a few extra minutes here and there, and I did that from the time of its release all the way through to the end of the year.

Honourable Mentions
x. Magus ; one of those games that's so thoroughly bad in every way, it becomes...not good, but surprisingly fun.
x. Monster Monpiece ; If you can get past the whole "masturbing your Vita" aspect of it (which, admittedly, is a pretty big thing to get past), Monster Monpiece was surprisingly addictive, and not nearly as fanservice-y as you might expect.
x. Sunset Overdrive ; I didn't get to play this as much as I would've liked, but I really liked what I did get to play. I have a feeling this will end up on my LTTP list next year.
x. Borderlands 2 ; I can only play first-person shooters on handhelds, so getting this on the Vita was amazing. It may have chugged a little at times, but I still loved it.

Oh, and LTTP: Little Inferno, Super Mario 3D World (in my defence, I only got a Wii U this year), Killzone Mercenary (as much as I love my Vita as it is, this game really made me wish we could get a few more AAA games on it), Ratchet & Clank: Into The Nexus (such a great return to form after a couple of subpar efforts)

Firebrand

1. Dark Souls 2 ; The level design is a bit disappointing in its overabundance of linear corridors, but even so, Dark Souls 2 was a joy to explore and fight through.
2. Endless Legend ; The 4X that came out of seemingly nowhere. It does some interesting things with armies and combat to reduce micromanagement. Doesn't hurt that it looks and sounds bloody fantastic. Looking forward to how they'll build on this base, and by the time an expansion rolls out this one will get the attention it deserves.
3. Wolfenstein: The New Order ;
4. Picross e4 ; What can I say, it's even more Picross to fuel my addiction.
5. Civilization: Beyond Earth ;
6. Hexcells Plus ;
7. Double Dragon Neon ;

Games I wish I had played more so they could have gone on this list: Shadowgate, Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris, South Park, Massive Chalice. But no, I had to keep collecting hats in TF2 and craft them myself in FF14 instead.

1. Super Smash Bros. for 3DS ; Being able to play Smash Bros wherever, whenever put this over the top. Brawl was a big letdown for me, but thankfully Smash 4 has me back on the bandwagon with it's addictive gameplay and fantastic presentation.

2. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U ; Take that same game and give it HD visuals and tons of content and even more trophies to unlock and you end up getting Smash for Wii U as my runner-up
3. Grand Theft Auto V ; The wait was worth it. Rockstar are still the kings of open world. The three protagonists were an interesting if not weird group of friends(if you want to call them that.)

4. Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor ; The Nemesis system had me killing and brainwashing orcs for hours. Nothing more satisfying than seeing their heads come clean off in slow motion.

5. Metal Gear Solid V Ground Zeroes ; A short and very sweet taste of one of the biggest games arriving this year. Getting an S rank on the missions was a blast.
6. inFAMOUS Second Son ; The best inFAMOUS yet looked fantastic and had my favorite set of powers. Particuarly neon. It would've been nice if it were a bit longer but the game was still very stellar.

7. Alien Isolation ; Being hunted by the Alien makes for some very tense moments. The fact that you're not some overpowered killing machine actually makes you feel powerless for once.

8. The Evil Within ; TEW is a bit rough around the edges but still a pretty good time. Mikami's still got it folks. A nice callback to RE4.

9. Strider ; Simple, yet very fun. Double Helix's reboot of Strider isn't the deepest action game out there, but it plays very well and has some solid graphics backing it.

10. Outlast ; This is one scary game of Hide and Seek. I'm glad that disturbing night in the asylum is over.

Honorable mentions

The Last of Us Left Behind ; I don't count dlc for my GOTY picks. But make no mistake, this story expansion is well worth playing.
Outlast: Whistleblower ; Also dlc. Want more Outlast? Get this. More twisted weirdos to run from.
Octodad: Dadliest Catch ; Perhaps the greatest Octopus/Dad simulator of all time. Short and funny.

SerRodrik

Unfortunately, there are still a bunch of games I haven't gotten to yet, like Dragonfall, Original Sin, and 80 Days, but such is life. Without further ado:

1. Shovel Knight ; I expected to like Shovel Knight, but not as much as I did. It was just so much fun to play that I just immediately started a new playthrough upon beating the game, which is always a good sign. It's not a nostalgia thing, because I never actually played the games that it's inspired by, it's just a really good game on its own right. The pixel art is brilliant, and I got super attached to the cast. So glad we get to play as some of the Order of No Quarter soon.
2. Dark Souls 2 ; I would criticize a lot of the changes from Dark Souls 1. The despawning enemies and immediate access to bonfire warping in particular harm the flow of the game, in my opinion. But the core mechanics are still sound, and it's enough new Souls that it's still one of the best games this year. The DLC adds a great deal too, with Sinh and the Fume Knight being particular standouts. God, Fume Knight was such a bastard.
3. The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky ; It doesn't have the most original story or characters, but familiar themes can still be good if they're used well, and Trails in the Sky uses them excellently.
4. The Banner Saga ; Turn based tactical combat is a weakness of mine, and combining it with a depressing Oregon Trail style overworld and an excellent art direction, it really brought the world to life. It really is a genius combination, and it all adds together into a very depressing experience. I always felt bad when I made a dumb mistake and lost party members.
5. Transistor ; Addictive combat, great art, and a stellar soundtrack. It didn't stick with me quite as long as Bastion, but it was still great, and leaning heavier into the songs with vocals was a good idea.
6. South Park: The Stick of Truth ; Funny games are rare. I guess it's a matter of timing, which seems to be difficult for games. Or maybe games just don't have good comedy writers. Whatever it is, South Park nailed it. Combat wasn't super deep, but it was fun, and some of the scenes went...places I didn't expect even from a South Park game. Jesus, that underpants gnome boss fight. Jesus.
7. Broken Age: Act 1 ; Gorgeous art style, fun characters, and an intriguing story. And a gorgeous art style. It's kind of a pity it had to be split up, but I understand why it happened.
8. Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth ; I figured I'd be mostly coming for the familiar characters, but map making is actually really addictive.
9. Persona 4 Arena Ultimax ; I continue to not actually be very good at fighting games, but it's still fun to try, and Ultimax made a lot of cool additions. I get to suplex people with Margaret! I just wish I was better at it. Unfortunately, in the story mode (and in Persona Q as well) the characters are starting to get reduced to one or two running jokes. Like, in the original game Chie had other things to say apart from talking about steak.
10. Dragon Age: Inquisition ; I still have some issues with it, and it's still not as good as Origins (a game which, in and of itself, had room for improvement). The combat wasn't very interesting and it was very easy. However, it was still a massive step up from Dragon Age 2, and the characters were fun at least.

Honorable Mentions
x. Valkyria Chronicles ; Didn't get to play a huge amount of the port, but Valkyria Chronicles is an excellent game. It's great that it's getting exposed to a new audience.
x. The Long Dark ; As far as survival sims go, so far it seems like the best. I'm excited to see what else the team can add.
x. Guilty Gear Xrd ; I bought it mostly because of the artstyle wizardry they pulled off. A lot of the fighting game stuff is over my head, but I've been having fun messing with it.

Shin Megami Tensei IV and Fire Emblem Awakening are worth mentioning too, since I finally beat both of them this year. Really great, wish I had had more time for them last year.

Temujin

1. Banished ; aka Do Starve, Winter is Coming Edition. Despite the steep initial learning curve (yes, your villagers will die of cold and starvation) it actually turns into a very rewarding game once you understand the mechanics. It’s not quite on the same level as the Impressions Games stuff of old (Caesar, Zeus, etc.) but it’s very, very close. It has that kind of...magic I’m missing in recent games like this. I guess part of it is nostalgia-related, but whatever, I love it, and it’s my GOTY, period. It’s especially impressive if you consider it was just one guy making the whole game.

2. The Banner Saga ; I backed the Kickstarter but only started playing this last month. The combat isn’t very deep or engaging, but the world, characters, art and music are great. It’s such a beautiful game. Like Banished it can be very depressing at times (well, most of the time) but it’s certainly an experience that sticks with you. That ending, oh boy.

3. Dragon Age: Inquisition ; I initially had very little interest in this, especially since I never played a Dragon Age game before, but a timely sale made me take the plunge anyway. I’m glad I did, it’s by no means a perfect game, it certainly has more flaws than I care to mention here, but overall, I really enjoyed my time with it. I do understand some of the criticisms of this game, but for me, the good vastly outweighs the bad. I’ll list my two favourite things in this game: simply exploring every region for the first time (especially the eastern deserts) and the banter between Iron Bull and Dorian.

4. Forza Horizon 2 ; I was a big fan of the first FH, and I still prefer that game’s structure, but this is another really impressive effort. The game’s beautiful and set in a region I’ve visited before, so for me they definitely nailed that summer holiday atmosphere. I haven’t started Storm Island yet, but I have my fingers crossed for an Alps expansion. And I’m looking forward to Forza Horizon 3 set in Japan in 2016 ;)

5. Alien: Isolation ; another game that has its fair share of flaws, but again the overall experience wins out. I always love atmospheric game with great sound design, and this certainly has to be one of the best this year in that regard. Even if it didn’t have the Alien factor, I would still love exploring the ship. The Working Joes are my favourite enemy this year. Now now. You’re becoming hysterical. My turn now.

6. Velocity 2X ; This was a really nice surprise for PS+ owners this summer. Only thing I didn’t like about the game was that you have to grind (replay levels) to unlock the last couple of levels, not really an example of great game design. Otherwise, really enjoyed this, though I don’t think I’ll ever go back to perfect levels.

7. Assassin’s Creed: Unity ; I love the Assassin’s Creed series in general (so sue me), and I was certainly excited about an Assassin’s Creed set in one of my favourite cities in the world, and in a very exciting time period. I waited until patch 3 to play this and experienced a fairly low amount of glitches/weird stuff (certainly less than I had with Fallout/Skyrim!), so I could enjoy the game for what it was. Which is, the best AssCreed since Brotherhood. The assassination missions are more open ended than they’ve been since II, and Paris looks and sounds great. Dat ambiance. For me, the biggest flaw has definitely been the whole companion app/”social” stuff. Leave that shit out of Victory please (not going to happen ,I know I know).

8. Ultra Street Fighter IV ; Bought this for Elena. Ended up maining Poison, who is now my favourite character in the game.

9. D4: Dark Dreams Don’t Die ; I liked this mostly for it’s unique atmosphere. It has so many fun little random touches (the robotic voice reading the fortune cookies, what’s that all about?) I really hope we’ll get another installment.

10. TxK ; I suck at this game, but Tempest is one of my favourite old arcade games, and this is a really good modern version of it. Bonus points because Jeff Minter is such a weird, cool guy.

Honorable Mentions:

x. Sunset Overdrive ; haven’t played this enough to put on the list, but I liked what I played so far. I find the Infamous games really boring but this was good.

x. Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor ; yeah the Nemesis system is great. But the rest of the game lacks, well, a bit of everything. Enjoyed it but not top 10 material for me.

x. Civilization: Beyond Earth ; it’s not that it’s a bad game by any means, it’s just that right now it feels like a (expensive!) mod to Civ V. I hope this gets an add-on to fix some things and give it a bit more personality. Still addicting as hell though.

x. Killer Instinct Season 2 ; I didn’t want to put this in my top 10 list because the season isn’t complete yet, but I played Killer Instinct a lot last year and Riptor is such a good character. Love Kan-Ra as well.

Nete

1. Divinity: Original Sin ; (PC) 60+ hours of briliant coop gameplay and GOAT combat system.
2. Door Kickers ; (PC) Rainbow Six Pre-Mission Plan: The Game, and it gets the job done.
3. The Banner Saga ; (PC) It has some big flaws, mostly due the low budget, but has been a long time since a game sucked me this much to its world.
4. Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes ; (PC) Best Metal Gear gameplay by a mile, and a great stealth sandbox by itself.
5. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance ; (PC) My first Platinum game, and it won't be the last. Amazing experience.
6. Wolfenstein: The New Order ; (PC) Over-the-top FPS with a perfect balance between old school and modern mechanics.
7. Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor ; (PC) Batman Arkham in the Middle Earth, with an even more satisfying combat.
8. Alien: Isolation ; (PC) And this, ladies and gentlemen, is how you make a licensed game without butchering the original work.
9. Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft ; (PC) I don't give a shit on ranked mode or creating a deck, but I *love* Arena and its randomness.
10. Xenonauts ; (PC) Classic X-Com without stupid micromanagement and with interesting air combats. Sorcery!

Griss

I'm not finished, but I'm stuck in an airport right now so I'll post to get in before the deadline and edit later.

1. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze; (Wii U)

When DK was announced I was as underwhelmed as everyone else. Of all the things Retro could have done, Donkey Kong was the most underwhelming for a number of reasons. The Wii U already had plenty of platformers and was crying out for the kind of graphical showcase that Retro delivered with the Metroid Prime series. But most importantly, Donkey Kong Country Returns was such a fully realised reinvention of the classic DKC formula that the concept of a sequel seemed like a waste - it simply didn’t need one. Everyone thought the game would be good, but how good? And more importantly, why?

Because Retro had the best platformer of all time left in them, that’s why. And that, obviously, is enough.

No other game this year delivered on every single thing it attempted in the way DKC:TF did. No other game was so close to flawless. No other game left me feeling like I was playing the pinnacle of its genre like DKC: TF did. To do justice to the game's brilliance would require an entire post / thread.

2. Mario Kart 8; (Wii U)

Most of us older Gaffers have favourite franchises we’ve been playing for two decades or more now. Over that time you develop a sense of what your ‘ultimate’ game in the franchise would be, what would constitute perfection to you. I’ve been playing Mario Kart since it released on the SNES, and with Mario Kart 8 it was as if Nintendo reached into my head, discovered the blueprint for my own perfect version of Mario Kart, and then delivered it flawlessly.

Where to start? If you don’t care about battle mode (and I never have) then it’s hard to find a single issue with this game. The track design is inspired. The new anti-grav racing is a brilliant gimmick. The item balance is the best it has ever been. The coin and super horn items, in particular, are inspired, and change the risk-reward of being in front in a hugely positive way. Similarly, not being able to ‘store’ a second item is a brilliant gameplay tweak from a team who clearly fully understand what makes Mario Kart fun at its core. The visuals are scarcely believable coming from the Wii U, the soundtrack is inspired and puts Smash’s to shame, the netcode was flawless for me over 500 races online and after 20 years of hoping I finally got to play as Roy Koopa. This is one of those games that makes me sad that it probably won’t ever be topped. The only reason it’s not in first was that I believe Retro had a higher degree of difficulty in making DKC:TF. Both games are masterpieces.

3. Grand Theft Auto V; (PS4)

It was really, really hard to hold out a whole year in order to experience this game the way it was meant to be played. It’s almost equally hard not to give it my game of the year honours. GTAV is the work of a developer at the very top of their game - it’s almost impossible to imagine any other dev making a game of this scale and scope with these production values and polish throughout. Every single part of the game is fun, including driving; racing; flying stunt planes; parachuting; shooting; brawling; playing darts… there’s so much here and yet it’s all worthwhile. Add to this mixture some consistently stunning visuals and a magnificent soundtrack and you have a close to perfect GTA, and a refreshing palette cleanser after GTAIV.

The three main characters are brilliant, and switching between them is an inspired gameplay choice. Heists, in particular benefit from this mechanic, and these are uniformly the highlight of the game. It’s not exactly perfect, though. The relationships between the leads, so electric at first, become one-note, and the plot peters out disappointingly over the final third. Also, I’m not one for counting frames but driving at high speed through Los Santos pushed the PS4 maybe a little too hard. And we never saw Michael’s family get the humorous deaths they certainly deserved. But frankly, though, I was having too much fun to care.

4. Final Fantasy XIV; (PS4)

I tried this on a whim to see what the visuals were like on PS4, and because I typically love Final Fantasy Soundtracks. I didn’t expect it to be very good, and for the first day or two my fears were confirmed. Everything was confusing, the map was terrible, and I just couldn’t get to grips with not being able to point and click on all of the important intractable objects in this massive world. But the atmosphere, art style and music gripped me from the first moments so I stuck with it, and boy am I glad I did.

5. Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes; (PS4)

The amount of content for the price I played was truly ludicrous. The fact that I beat the game without any guides in under an hour made me genuinely upset at the time. 20 hours of astonishingly polished Tactical Stealth Operations later, however, I felt I’d never spent money so well.

Everything in Ground Zeroes is so perfectly designed to generate astonishing gameplay moments. Every AI routine, guard placement, weapon hiding spot and overall scenario. The challenges set before you are great, but this is countered by the fact that it feels like you have more control over Snake than any gaming hero in history. He plays like a dream. When perfect interactivity and controls meet sterling level and objective design, the results are near perfection, and that's what Ground Zeroes is. Just a very small slice of perfection. Roll on MGSV.

6. Spelunky;

7. Don’t Starve;

8. Pixeljunk Shooter Ultimate;

9. Super Smash Brothers for Wii U;

I have lots of problems with Smash for Wii U, the first being that terrible title. There simply isn’t enough compelling single player content. There’s no Adventure Mode or Subspace Mode. Neither of those modes were great, but they were a fun use of the fan service and characters in the game, which is what Smash is about. Losing that kind of mode takes a lot of personality out of the game. Classic mode has been fairly butchered, Events are no more involved than they were back in Melee, and the new Smash Tour mode is an overly-random disaster. All of this leaves the online part of the game to carry the weight. The problem is that 4-player Smash online is practically a slideshow for me. Add that to the fact that I personally wasn’t hugely impressed with some of the characters cuts and additions and this just doesn’t feel like the Smash I was hoping it would be.

But I can’t ignore all of the things that the game gets right, especially since many of them are the core parts of a good video game. Melee fans may disagree, but I think Sakurai nailed the feel and speed of the game in this one. Some issues remain, like endless air dodging and a ludicrous edge radius, but for the most part the game plays like a dream, no matter what character you are. And in an era where local multiplayer is a lost treasure, Smash still delivers in spades. Every session on the couch with my family resulted in multiple laugh out loud moments, curses and playfully thrown controllers. And despite the issues I have with the rest of the game, that alone is enough to make it worth it for me.

10. PT;

I don’t think PT is a well designed game. Not for one player at least. It’s an overly-esoteric experiment that is pretty much torture to try and work out on your own. It’s not a fun game.

But during those first hours when it was first released, my god what an experience it was. Collaborating with hundreds online to just try to make it to the ‘next’ corridor, knowing whatever you found there would probably require you to get a new pair of pants… it was brilliant. A beautiful social experiment, an incredibly imaginative advertising campaign, a triumph of atmosphere, audio design and photorealistic graphics. I wouldn’t play an entire game that played by these rules, but I won’t ever forget those couple of hours with PT either.

Honourable Mentions:
x. Final Fantasy Theathrythm: Curtain Call; It's as good as ever, but it's not a huge improvement over the first, so I had kind of already had my fill, so to speak. Still a great game.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
1. Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor ; This game took everyone, including my-self, by surprise with the Nemesis System it introduced. Such a great feature to add a personal feeling to the player's world.
2. Pokemon Omega Ruby
3. Persona Q
4. Bayonetta 2
5. Don't Starve: Console Edition
6. Velocity 2X
7. Wolfenstein: The New Order
8. Broken Age: Act 1
9. Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc
10. Infamous: Second Son

x. Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
x. Transistor
x. Bravely Default
x. Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call
x. Threes!
x. Wasteland 2

The only reason Wolfenstein and Bayonetta 2 aren't higher is because I haven't played them as much as I wanted to. Bayonetta 2 almost didn't make it at all since I haven't bought a Wii U of my own yet.

Farks!

Ugh... I bought quite a few games released last year, but haven't played enough of most of them in order to give them a fair assesment. So my list is real short this year.

1. Wargame: Red Dragon ; I'm not an RTS enthusiast, but the Wargame series is an exception. Airland Battle was my favorite game last year after spending almost 400 hours playing it and this year I've spent almost as much time playing Red Dragon. What makes this game so interesting to make is it's scale and emphasis on tactics and frontline combat rather than resource management and what not that you find in other RTS titles. This makes the game slower than other games in its genre and allows more methodical and tactical gameplay, which opens up how you can approach battle. There are few things more satisfying than steam rolling your opponent with tanks and seeing every enemy you come accross either fall over or retreat, but it doesn't happen easily. You need to support and plan all your moves properly with anti-aircraft cover, artillery, reconnisance and what not, which only makes the end result even more satisfying.
2. This War of Mine ; This game is hell to play - and that's one of the best compliments you can pay it. Games very often think they're "about" something or have a "message" simply because they have a certain art direction or talk about it in cutscenes, but too few games actully manage to represent their subject matter through play. This War of Mine does it adequately and without shoving its anti-war message down your throat. It's a confident and engaging game that makes you see how war affects civilians and makes you wonder how you would act in the same situation and, perhaps most importantly, even makes you empathise with those who are in that situation for real right now.

HoJu

1. Bayonetta 2 ; Platinum looked at what Bayonetta 1 excelled at and they made it better. Though the game is shorter and less ambitious in scope compared to the predecessor, the game has no padding. New enemies and environments are constantly being introduced, and the minigames are actually fun this time. It's their best game.

2. Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze ; Retro looked at what DKCR excelled at and did more of that. The music is good.

3. Dark Souls 2 ; From Software looked at what Dark Souls 1 excelled at and they made it worse. But it still plays like Dark Souls and it's my most played game this year. The level design was consistently pretty good.

4. The Evil Within ; There's a lot of bullshit in this game but it's mostly great and it scared me. Though it might have more variety in environments and ideas than RE4, there is no consistency to the quality.

5. Mario Kart 8 ; It's Mario Kart but beautiful. Almost all of the tracks are really great, and the music is really good. Missing a good battle mode and a single player campaign.

6. P.T. ; one of the scariest and best looking games ever made is a free advertisement for a video game coming in 2 years. what

7. Shovel Knight ; good boss fights.

8. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U ; smash done really well. no real surprises, but there's a lot of content. smash tour stinks and so do some of the subgames, but the new characters are all great and the online works.

9. Wolfenstein : The New Order ; shooting feels great. going stealth or guns blazing actually feels somewhat balanced. fun story. fighting bullet sponges is not fun.

10. The Wolf Among Us ; great characters and setting. too bad about that Telltale jank. Last chapter didn't live up to the previous ones.

1. Sunset Overdrive ; So much fun traversing through the city and killing baddies. The bosses were interesting and the game was funnier than I thought it would be.
2. Wolfenstein The New Order ; Great story. Awesome moment with Jimi. Fun gameplay that allowed you to tackle things in different manners. I really liked going through and getting all of the upgrades.
3. Guacamelee Special Edition ; Not sure if this one counts but this was an awesome brawler that had me playing for days.
4. TitanFall ; I loved the speed of this game. It was awesome feeling so powerful in the Titans but not like you were outclassed on foot.
5. Shadow of Mordor ; Best Assassin's Creed EVER! I just loved the Nemesis system.
6. Super Time Force ; Cool shooter. Very frantic at times but the replays were really interesting to watch. Merlin For Life!
7. Trials Fusion ; Trials has and always will be awesome.

Bgamer90

Banned
mq6YGs6.jpg
1. Sunset Overdrive ; This game gave me many flashbacks of the Dreamcast era. Felt like the perfect blend of Jet Grind Radio and Crackdown. Traveling across the game's world without touching the ground feels amazing. Loved using the game's creative weapons too.

2. Mario Kart 8 ; My favorite racing game of 2014. Hands down the best Mario Kart game in the whole series. Fair A.I., great online setup, amazing tracks, and awesome DLC (that may be a look into the series' future).

3. Forza Horizon 2 ; The best racing game on the Xbox One and one of the best racing games of all time. Fantastic soundtrack and great events. Playground games did an amazing job of packing so much polished content in an open world game.

4. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U ; A great party game that's a perfect celebration of Nintendo's history. So much polish. Love the addition of eight player battles.

5. Titanfall ; Getting into a Titan for the very first time made my jaw drop. A VERY addictive game that got great post launch support. No other current gen multiplayer shooter comes close to having the same amount of action in matches.

6. Threes! ; One of the best iOS games of all time. Clean style and very addictive (yet simple) gameplay. Pretty much perfect in terms of its design.

7. Wolfenstein: The New Order ; I haven't finished the game yet but the focus on single player was evident during my first hour with the game. I haven't played a single player campaign in a shooter that was this polished for its time since 2007's Modern Warfare.

8. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze ; One of the best 2D platformers I have ever played. Great music and very challenging. Donkey Kong Country is one of my favorite gaming series of all time and this was a great entry that brought the series into the HD era very well.

9. Fibbage ; Great trivia party game. Gave me flashbacks of Xbox's 1 vs. 100. Very smart to require smartphones/tablets instead of controllers. Makes it easy for anyone to play (and saves a lot of time and/or money in comparison to getting controllers).

10. D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die ; Most fun I have ever had playing a game with kinect. Very creative and enjoyable. Loved searching for clues and seeing how they cleverly tied into the story. Great art style and music. Hilarious moments too.

Riposte

Ugh, I always forget what a pain it is to find (in-game) screenshots for some games.

Also, I hate it when I read someone's list and they make the same highly specific observation I do lol... happens every year (usually in good company though).

Corto

1. Hohokum ; A joy. An unabashed interactive toy in video game form. No explanation, just tools and an environment to explore and interact with. Great to watch my kid play it and wonderful to play it myself.
2. Alien Isolation ; A tour de force. A AAA game with the nuts to strip its gameplay to the the exact amount needed to accompany its setting, its heritage and its atmosphere. Great show of Creative Assembly.
3. Divinity: Original Sin
4. Dungeon of the Endless
5. Endless Legend
6. Door Kickers
7. 80 Days
8. Helix
9. Velocity 2X
10. Might and Magic X - Legacy

x. Corto Maltese - Secrets of Venice
x. This War of Mine
x. Broken Age
x. Banner Saga
x. Monument Valley
x. Wasteland 2
x. Spintires
x. Talos Principle
x. Luftrausers

Late to the party goty: Tales of Maj'Eyal

edit: Sorry for not adding more well thought out comments and add some enbellishments, as it was very difficult for me to make time to write something more meaningful.

edit2: Just a final comment about the year and my own gaming habits. I'm leaning more and more for PC/Mac games and Mobile/Handheld platforms. And I'm completely happy with that. This year was great for my tastes and inclinations in terms of platforms which able me to play big chunky games like Divinity, Shadowrun, Might and Magic and on the next hour having a blast playing like Passepartout on my iPhone or as a magical flying snake on Hohokum. Video games are better than ever, broader than ever, and I'm not even yet a "next-gen" console user. And due to the Early Access model I already have my 2015 GOTY choice: Nuclear Throne. Almost 40 hours played on a game that doesn't even had a proper release yet.

1. Kirby Triple Deluxe ; [3DS] HAL must have been ashamed of Squeak Squad, because they knocked it out of the park with the last two entries. And the two mini games... I enjoyed Kirby Fighters much more than Smash, and I'll probably get Drum Dash DX if it gets a price cut on the eShop.

2. Yoshi's New Island ; [3DS] I love Yoshi's Island. Yoshi does control much more sluggishly, but I don't think it's necessary a fault if the game is designed around it. The big egg really doesn't add anything; the steel one does but it's only used like in 3 stages.

3. Shovel Knight ; [PC] Great, varied level design made this a joy to play over and over, until I got all achievements. Relics can be a bit too overpowered, but if it helps makes the game accesible to non-old school audiences, all the better.

4. Ace Attorney Investigations 2 ; [DS] Capcom skipped a gem. All the cases were great in their own way. The fan translation was superb, so nothing was lost in the end. Well, except an official NA release in my shelf.

5. Retro Game Challenge 2 ; [DS] Another fan translation released this year. While the adventure games had some clunky english, it was perfectly playable, and I can't complain about free. As with the first, none of the games are amazing, but they are mostly all fun and with the magazines and contextual stuff it becomes more than the sum of its parts.

6. Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney ; [3DS] Enjoyed doing Layton puzzles for the first time (probably won't again unless Nintendo released a compilation, which won't happen with their greediness). Backgrounds and music were lovely. Cases may have needed more evidence now that I think about it, but they made it up with their wackiness. I laughed a couple times which never happened in the main series. Still got the bonus chapters to do.

7. Yumi's Odd Odyssey ; [3DS] I suck too much at this sadly, but I enjoy it. Too bad I probably won't see all the stages as some jumps require crazy precise timing to get to alternate exits.

8. Strider ; [PC] Just finished it on Normal yesterday. I'll wait to replay it on Hard to give a final opinion, but for now I can say it was a competent Metroid-like, but I expected a bit more based on what I had read about it. I completed it at almost 6 hours with 70% items, and I was surprised it was that little considering I felt it dragged on too long, with its lack of level and enemy variety.

9. Teslagrad ; [PC] Technically the PC digital release was released in 2013, but I didn't get it till this year so we'll let it slip. Honestly I don't remember much about it, other than it was a fun platformer with an interconnected world and some not very complex puzzles.

10. Tomodachi Life ; [3DS] I only started it a week ago. It's not much of a game from what I can see, but it deserves a point for it's weirdness.

x. Azure Striker Gunvolt ; [3DS] Beat the game, was pretty meh about it. But the game seems to be made to score attack, so I'll have to play more.
x. Guacamelee: Super Turbo Championship Edition ; [PC] Already voted for the Gold Edition last year, and this is barely an upgrade. Still deserves a mention, as it's a great game.
x. Shantae: Risky's Revenge - Director's Cut ; [PC] Finally a way to play this game for a more reasonable price. The port is pretty barebones, but at least adds a Magician mode that's slightly more difficult.

Games I didn't like:
Super Smash Bros. for 3DS - Smash ain't for me no more which considering I barely played Brawl isn't a surprise. Doesn't help that everything is so tiny on a regular 3DS.
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow – Mirror of Fate HD (PC) - a sidescroller has to be really bad to bore me. This achieved that feat, with it's repetitive combat and QTEs all over the place.
1001 Spikes (PC) - I was liking it, but then it got too ridiculous in the lava world. Not that it was anything remarkable prior too that, the level design was pretty mundane.

Games that might have made it if I had played them:
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - no Wii U :(
Mario Kart 8 - no Wii U :(
NES Remix Pack - no Wii U :(
Captain Toad - no Wii U :(
Rabi Laby 3 - haven't got to it yet, but I loved all the past games in the series
Shantae and the Pirate's Curse - waiting for the inevitable PC port

vulva

1. Bayonetta 2 ; Most fun.
2. The Evil Within ; Very fun.
3. Ultra Street Fighter 4 ; Street Fighter
4. Puyo Puyo Tetris ; Puzzle fun
5. Alien Isolation ; Alien!
6. Mario Kart newest one ; Racing fun.
7. Hyrule Warriors ; Zelda fun.
8. Fibbage ; Social fun.
9. P.T. ; Spooky fun!
10. Under Night in Birth; 10th place fun.

Honorable Mentions
nahhhhhhhh

Seda

I wasn't going to vote, mainly because I didn't really enjoy that many games this year (and many I didnt play), but here we go anyway. Only quick comments.

1. Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth ; I like being able to assign Personae to every character. I enjoyed the dungeon crawling and map making (having some actual honest-to-goodness dungeons help). Having a large cast of characters in addition to sub personae offer up several ways you can coordinate your party and how you approach combat. A couple skills end up being a bit unbalanced, but all-in-all I think this is an easy recommendation for the genre.

2. Child of Light ; A fun little experimental game with a semi Grandia-lite battle system. Focus of gameplay primarily revolved around switching the proper party members in and out. Not a ton of substance, but for a downloadable game you can finish in a few days, the style seems appropriate. Too bad about that rhyming though.

3. Transistor ; The combat system is super cool. Having a dozen or so skills each with 3 different purposes and allowing any skill to augment any other skill (or itself!) makes for some very enjoyable toying and tinkering. The game also had great presentation with stellar art and sound direction. Was somewhat disappointed the whole game took place in a straight path, though. Also, real time combat felt gimped to the far more effective planning mode combat.

4. Bravely Default ; Great soundtrack and presentation harkening back to a classic Final Fantasy feel, and a natural evolution in the party-based job system style like the one found in Final Fantasy V. It's all about coordinating your team, equipment, subclasses and passive skills in order to vanquish enemies. But it doesn't just borrow from the classics, it adds its own twist with the Brave and Default mechanics making meaning turn resources another way to give yourself the edge in battle. Too bad the game was so dedicated to its storyline to force players to replay the same dungeons multiple times over, a glaring blemish on what is otherwise a great game. The best parts are the group boss battles found in chapters 7 and 8.

5. Elminage Gothic ; I'm somehow not the only person to post this game in this thread. My first dive into a Wizardry like dungeon crawler: dungeons felt merciless, enemies were vicious, and bosses were tremendous. This games takes a TON of patience. sometimes I found myself spending days on the same dungeon, getting lost in what almost feel like endless mazes. A handful of these were far trickier than any other dungeon-crawler I've played. I found myself taking notes, making screenshots to help remember how the warp tiles works, the switch puzzles, were enemy spawns were. Honestly playing the game was somewhat draining, but the satisfaction in getting to the next area and eventually clearing the game was enough to place this game on the list.

I think I'll stick to five.

Grexeno

4. Ace Attorney Investigations: Prosecutor's Path ; [DS] Capcom skipped a gem. All the cases were great in their own way. The fan translation was superb, so nothing was lost in the end. Well, except an official NA release in my shelf.
I believe Ace Attorney Investigations 2 is the only accepted title.

Tookay

1. Mario Kart 8 ; Never thought in a million years this would be my game of the year. Personally, I thought this series had fallen into a semi-respectable rut: not quite excellent but still fun. But somehow, the MK team found a part of themselves that I thought had long been lost and put out one of the most most fun, exciting, and well-produced games of the year. Every aspect of this game is perfect, starting with the course designs and variety to the way each vehicle handles and - lest we forget - the wonderful soundtrack. Mario Kart is back to being a premiere series. It's good to have it back.

2. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U ; I'm not going to lie: coming off Smash 64 and Melee, I always felt disappointed with Brawl. Something seemed to go awry that made me cautious about ever getting excited for another Smash. But Sakurai delivered a great game, full of great characters and fun gameplay. It still misses that competitive spirit that I thought the original Smash games had and I'm personally beginning to think bloat is settling into the series' design philosophy, but it's hard to deny how incredibly addictive and entertaining this game is.

3. South Park: The Stick of Truth ; Plenty has been said about how this is basically like "playing an episode of the show." And it's true. But it's also the best damn episode of the show in a long time. Matt, Trey, and Obsidian did a great job subverting gaming tropes and sending up their own show. There are so many clever bits of gameplay here, particularly the ridiculous QTE send-ups and the genre-bending Canada segment. I know this game was difficult to make, but I truly hope a follow-up happens someday.

4. Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor ; Looking back on it, there are a lot of weak elements in SOM. The story doesn't really amount to anything and falls apart near the end, and the level/mission design could be stronger. But it's wrapped around such an addictive core with satisfying combat and the nemesis mechanic that it somehow is greater than the sum of its parts. Just messing around with the world and seeing the repercussions is entertaining enough.

5. Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes ; I know, I know, it's a demo. A paid demo. This stuff shouldn't be praised. But I fell in love with it. Because the mechanics are so damn good. Because it's beautiful. Because nobody does games like Kojima. Dammit Kojima.

6. Shovel Knight ; A great love letter to the classics that manages to outclass them in a lot of ways. We've seen a lot of throwbacks to the NES greats, but they never really felt as thought-out as Shovel Knight's amalgamation. It's difficult without ever being unfair and beautiful without being flashy or visually messy. It also has a ton of charm.

7. Wolfenstein: The New Order ; It's just a damn solid shooter, with good old-school design and a surprisingly affecting story. If Shovel Knight was represented one school of throwback design - keeping its trappings - then Wolfenstein offered a different equally-viable path by updating its forefathers' tenets into a modern package.

8. Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze ; I'm a little conflicted: sometimes I think this game is overhyped. It has a lot of conveyance problems make me appreciate the bland NSMB games more than I thought I would. But there are times where the platforming, atmosphere, music, and art design blend so well that I can't help but put it on my list. Retro made a game that, when it works, it really works.

9. Grand Theft Auto V Remastered ; This was my GOTY last year, so I can't really put this high up there again, but I just want to say that Rockstar made a fantastic game. Coming from someone who's skeptical of open-world games and R*'s output, that's saying something.

10. Towerfall Acension ; I debated whether to put this on my list. I've probably only played it for a couple hours total. But those couple hours were some of the most fun I've had in a long time.

titanfallywjwd.png

1. Titanfall ; When Titanfall was first announced my interest dropped the second it was revealed the game was multiplayer only, not a big fan of DOC style multiplayer. When clips from the alpha started to leak out the game started to catch my eye, something about it just clicked with me. Once I got my hands on the public beta I was in love. Every match seems to have a fantastic moment like somehow ejecting in the one spot where I would survive the explosion or luckily stepping away from a kick from a pilot whose Titan I had just destroyed . This is a game that whenever I talk or think about it I NEED to go back to and play, I can't remember the last time a multiplayer game gave me that feeling that wasn't brought on by playing with friends.

alienisolation6ajmn.png

2. Alien: Isolation ; As excited as I was for this game I was also dreading playing it. Things like Amnesia or Outlast, first person horror-stealth games, were a bit too much for me. I never really got into them the way I would Dead Space or Resident Evil and I was worried I would have a miserable time playing Alien, a franchise I love, because of it. I was completely wrong, Alien let me live out on of my favorite movies of all time.

valiantheartsthegreatdyjhm.png

3. Valiant Hearts: The Great War ; The ending of this game is incredible. Once the credits were done rolling I still sat on my couch trying to process what had happened, it really got under my skin in an amazing way. I enjoyed the game leading up to that point as well with it's fantastic art and neat puzzles. This game is the reason I still believe in Ubisoft.

sunsetoverdrive6njd8.png

4. Sunset Overdrive ; FUN. COLOUR. EXCITEMENT. Sunset Overdrive is such a fast and exciting game to play, the first open world game I made a point not to use fast travel in!

dragonageinquisitioni0k8k.png

5. Dragon Age: Inquisition ; I'm still only 20 hours in but felt the game had to be on my list. If I fire that game up, no matter what I tell myself, I end up staying awake far later than I wanted. It's everything DA2 wasn't, can't think of better praise than that.

metalgearrisingrevenghejpm.png

6. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance ; Wish I didn’t wait so long to play the game, I had an absolute blast with it.

middle-earthshadowofmy6kpe.png

7. Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor ; There was a moment when everything clicked for me in the game. When I stopped trying to simply fight it out but learn to use the environment to my advantage. Once I started playing around more with the systems I really enjoyed myself, despite the poor endgame

southparkthestickoftr2hjcj.png

8. South Park: The Stick of Truth ; Much like Paper Mario it's a simple RPG with a great wrapper around it. It was a great way to spend a rainy weekend!

halothemasterchiefcolrfjry.png

9. Halo: The Master Chief Collection ; Despite all the technical issues with this game the rounds I did play were fantastic. I had hosted an 8 console LAN for Halo 2 a month before this collections release. It was fantastic to see that game reproduced in a modern era.

drakengard3prkrd.png

10. Drakengard 3 ; There is something about this game, I can't explain it like I could NIER but I put plenty of hours into this bad Warriors clone (and that's not coming from a fan of those games!) just to be able to see the story play out. I hope that Yoko Toro's next game has a better game surrounding his weird story.

x. BioShock Infinite: Burial at Sea: Episode 2 ; Fantastic DLC, loved the changes they made to make Elizabeth a different character to play than Booker.
x. Super Time Force ; When I rescued "Dolphin Lundgren" I knew this was the game for me.

NEO0MJ

I was hoping I could do more but time didn't allow it, oh well.

1. Bayonetta 2 ; It was tough choosing between this and DKCTF, but I have to give it to Bayonetta 2. While I feel DKCTF was the better sequel, Bayonetta 2 as a game felt better and more fun. All the changes to the mechanics made it more satisfying to control and play, and the weapons felt more unique in comparision to the original. Plus it had one of the best rivals in an action game with the Masked Lumen. The art-style is more pleasing to the eye as well.

2. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze ; A game that improved on the original in every way possible. Retro did an amzing job on this game, it felt like the revival Donkey Kong Country Returns was meant to be. True skill based platforming, Dave wise soundtrack, and charming enemies. There’s an incredible variety of ideas applied to every level, which all look and sound amazing.

3. Dark Souls 2 ; While some felt that this was a disappointing sequel, it was still an amazing game and hold the longest recorded hours of any game I played this year. There were some issues such as with the hitboxes and level design and enemy variety but it brought a bunch of new ideas such as duel wielding and a third class of magic that plays very differently from the old ones. The DLCs were also amazing. Not bad for the B team.

4. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U ; A new console generation, a new Smash bros. This one however was a good return to form. Not as perfect s some would have liked, but still a lot of fun. Me and my friends are having a blast with it. The new characters are really creative and play so radically different from the old cast, which all seem much more improved in comparison to Brawl. Game also seems well balanced for now.

5. The Evil Within ; A flawed gem. First new game from Mikami in more than 4 years, it has him returning to the horror genre. Chapters range from amazing to mediocore, though the good outweigh the bad. Shooting is a lot of fun and you can really strategize ho you approach each scenario.

6. Shovel Knight ; A kickstarter that managed to live up to and exceed expectations. It succeeds where most throwback indie games failed in, which is invoking classic nes games while still feeling original instead of an attempt at aping them. It has very unique powerups that allow you to clear levels in multiple ways.

7. Mario Kart 8 ; This was the biggest surprise of the year for me. While Mario Kart 7 was much improved over Mario Kart Wii, I still didn’t think it was an amazing game. This however was. Everything from track design, controls, vehicles and mechanics feel much improved over the old game. It’s a treat to play and looks amazing.

8. Binding of Issac: Rebirth ; This game was so addicting. I had the original in my backlog for years but never played it. I wasn’t even going to buy this if it wasn’t for Gaf, and boy am I glad that I did. It starts and confusing but once you get the hang of it you’ll be dashing between rooms, wonder what lies behind the next door. The power ups are a lot of fun and make you change how you play a lot. Bosses and enemies are a lot of fun to face and the music is great.

9. Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- ; After a decade long wait we finally get a true sequel for the Guilty Gear series. One of the most amazing looking cell shaded games since Wind Waker, Arc are wizards. Battle system is a lot of fun and the controls have been somewhat more accessible. Game doesn't feel dumbed down as I feared as well.

10. Titanfall ; It seems very similar at first to other COD styled shooters but once you get the hang of wall running, climbing, and double jumping so many possibilities open up for you. The mec-err Titans also offer a nice change of pace from the quick pilots. Only flaw is that it’s limited to Origin, which hurt its playerbase.

x. South Park: The Stick of Truth ; Game was fun, but it was too easy and lacked depth. And while exploring south part was a lot of fun the world felt small.

x. Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc ; I really couldn't choose between this and the sequel so non made it in the top ten.

x. Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair ; See above.

Korigama

1. Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- ; Admittedly, the last time I truly enjoyed playing Guilty Gear was back with #Reload. After finding out that #R was the game that served as the basis for Xrd, I couldn't wait to give it a try, and was quite happy with the end result. From the overhaul of the Roman Cancel system to the reworking of Dust attacks, Xrd feels both new yet familiar at the same time. But, more importantly than anything else, it just feels right. Visually, the game features what is quite possibly the most masterful transition from sprites to 3D models that I've ever seen in any game, managing to preserve what made the cast uniquely GG yet at the same time presenting them so much more vibrantly and dynamically than ever before. The tutorial, challenges, and missions were actually capable of imparting useful information for both newbies and veterans alike. On top of everything else, the story and accompanying in-game library detail the world of GG in a manner far more in-depth and coherent than any previous game in the series has ever even come close to doing. Xrd can be further commended for making the characters' individual paths through arcade mode act as a prologue for the story mode, compared to how so many other fighting game story modes make arcade mode completely redundant. While implementing a story mode that was basically one long movie was a gamble, it was one that paid off, and was a welcome change from fighting game story modes punctuated by arbitrary battles that often occurred for contrived reasons. I walked away from Xrd's story feeling very much satisfied, and hopeful for what the future may bring next for the series. Ultimately, the only things I feel that mar the experience are the amount of fan favorites still missing from the roster, the unreliable nature of online play during ranked matches, and the hit-and-miss quality of the English dub, especially glaring compared to other Arc-developed fighters such as BlazBlue and Persona (although Atlus can be thanked for the latter).

2. Tales of Xillia 2 ; Featuring improved combat and something of a darker story compared to the original, Xillia 2 has been an interesting ride so far. I was uncertain what to make of the idea of a Tales game with a silent protagonist initially, but Ludger works out better for me than expected. The Devil May Cry-style on-the-fly weapon switching available to him makes him both fun and versatile in battle, and I've enjoyed the opportunity to choose various outcomes for both conversations and events during the story alike. What's more, his design is one of the best I've seen for any given JRPG lead. A very welcome addition to the returning cast from the first game. However, while I like the use of the job centers over having to search high and low to track down sidequests, I'm not a fan at all of the debt system introduced.

3. Persona 4 Arena Ultimax ; Having already played through and enjoyed the original Persona 4 Arena, I went in already knowing to basically expect more of the same, but that's not really a bad thing. As a sequel to one of the best fighters developed by Arc System Works, many additions and refinements were on offer, including even more familiar faces from the Persona series as part of the roster. Compared to the story mode from the first game, Atlus did well to go with a more streamlined approach in its implementation, avoiding the issue of the heavy repetition present while playing through with individual characters during the previous narrative. That said, the story doesn't seem to be quite as compelling as the one in P4A, though I must also note that I still have yet to finish the additional two episodes unlocked after playing through the first one. Nitpicking details on the gameplay side of things, I didn't care for the raising of the maximum hits needed for a wall bounce during an All-Out Attack from 16 in P4A to 18 in this one, the additional mashing required making it far less practical in the long run.

4. Azure Striker Gunvolt ; With a Macross-esque use of an idol singer's songs to support the lead in battle, as well as a tone and aesthetic recalling the Mega Man Zero series, Gunvolt was one of the most interesting side-scrollers that I had seen in quite some time. Similar to the Mega Man titles developed by Inti Creates before it, yet still quite different in its emphasis on tagging enemy targets and speeding through levels as quickly as possible, I had a lot of fun seeing what each of the various levels had in store. That said, I didn't care much for the crafting system, and was disappointed that much of the dialogue and voice acting was cut during the localization. Furthermore, given the trouble that the true ending requires the player to go through in order to get it, the fact that it could be argued as being only marginally better than its bad ending was also unfortunate.

Honorable Mention
x. Mighty Gunvolt ; An amusing throwback to 8-bit Mega Man, it served as a nice complement to Azure Striker Gunvolt.

I wasn't able to get around to much, but I did enjoy my time with what I was able to play.

JaCy

1. Dragon Age inquisition ; Great rpg, and probably my most played game in such a short span of time in years.

2. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze ; My absolute favorite 2D paltformer, Retro really outdid themselves.

3. Little Big Planet 3 - I never really cared for this series, but this game was really a lot of fun. Its a shame there weren't more levels for the new characters, They were the best levels in the whole game or even the series, I wouldn't mind if they replaced Sackboy.

4. Mario Kart 8 ; Haven't played a MK since MKDS but this was a lot of fun.

5. Super Smash Bros. for 3DS ; Another solid entry in this series, I've yet to play the Wii U version.

6. The Walking Dead Season 2 ; Not their best season but still solid and one of more emotional stories of 2014.

7. Fable Anniversary - A remake of one of my favorite Xbox games, still good as it was in 2004.

8. Fantasy Life ; A cute quirky jrpg with a great job system.

9. Bravely Default ; Square Enix's best rpg in a while. I loved the characters and music.

10. South Park: The Stick of Truth ; An rpg mixed with South park was an absolute blast. It also had one of the funniest and awkward scene in any game.

Here's one of those years (2012 was the last one) where I just couldn't play the GoTY-worthy games on account of not owning nintendo's console. The end result is me being left with games that are great, but not what I would consider a high enough standard to really be worth the GoTY labels.

On that note, my personal GoTY list will keep the first spot blank; but in the interest of the vote, here's the list (Shortened because I really find it hard to decide what deserved to go on):

1) Danganronpa 2
It's a shame this had to be an either-or thing, because both 1 and 2 are excellent, revitalizing takes on the adventure game genre. While by no means a flawless game, it's probably the title I fell in love with the most this year. The story can get far too wrapped up in the anime cliches, but much of the games combine a great sense of style, mystery and macabre comedy to produce something truly unique and utterly charming. Part 2 gets my vote here because almost everything (except the overarching story) was an improvement from part 1: the individual cases, the characters, the music and the general gameplay.

2) Bravely Default: Flying Fairy
We're all clear on one thing; this is a deeply deeply flawed game. But putting aside the elephant in the room, this was probably the most satisfying JRPG I can think of in...well...a very long time. A modern take on classic JRPG understates how much it actually did bring to the table; Every tweak and feature in the general and battle gameplay seemed to have accounted and incorporated the decades in gaming that has passed since the golden age of JRPGs. And despite all that, it is rooted firmly in ye olde JRPG roots, with tradition permeating in every aspect. At least up until the point we all came to hate, BD was magical.

3) Dark Souls 2
Back during the demon souls days, I never quite understood what my friends enjoyed the clunky, trapdoor-laden RPG. My second foray into the souls series with DS2 showed me exactly why. It's quite hard to put it in words what about the game appeals, when by all accounts the game's every gameplay decision seemed engineered to be off-putting, from the crushing difficulty to the impossibly clunky controls. But finally, when I was on my last estus fighting Pursuer for the tenth time, The mechanics, the difficulty and the design all finally clicked; I was enlightened, and there was no looking back.

And now, I just don't care anymore

4) Super Smash Bros. for 3DS
You all know the story behind this one. Robin and Shulk were the icing on the cake.

5) Dragon Age Inqusition
Possibly the only mega triple-A title I've played that really deserves a spot on this list, even if it suffers from a whole host of problem. The combat, lauded as the first Dragon Age's strongest (second strongest?) point, has become a joke. The side quests range from interesting to the completely mediocre. And the plot, in all honesty, is underwhelming. To rub salt in the wound, it's still buggy on PC.
Yet Bioware has achieved a world scale the likes of which finally feel like it matches up to the artistic vision of the studio. The utter scope of the game is so immensely wide, filled with the details and lore the likes of which we've never seen from the studio.

And that's it from me. Maybe it's time to bite the bullet and get that Wii U.

1. Mario Kart 8 ; A great variety of tracks and most of them are good in my opinion. The online is pretty smooth as well.
2. The Banner Saga
3. Bayonetta 2
4. South Park: The Stick of Truth ; This is one of the few games that is actually funny even for someone who hasn't watched the show in a decade plus.
5. Forza Horizon 2
6. Dark Souls 2
7. Alien: Isolation
8. Titanfall ; One of my favorite multiplayer games to come out in the last few years. It's a shame the game is pretty much dead now.
9. Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft
10. D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die
x. Wolfenstein: The New Order
x. MLB 14: The Show

Grexeno

Here's one of those years (2012 was the last one) where I just couldn't play the GoTY-worthy games on account of not owning nintendo's console. The end result is me being left with games that are great, but not what I would consider a high enough standard to really be worth the GoTY labels.

On that note, my personal GoTY list will keep the first spot blank; but in the interest of the vote, here's the list (Shortened because I really find it hard to decide what deserved to go on):

1) Danganronpa 2
It's a shame this had to be an either-or thing, because both 1 and 2 are excellent, revitalizing takes on the adventure game genre. While by no means a flawless game, it's probably the title I fell in love with the most this year. The story can get far too wrapped up in the anime cliches, but much of the games combine a great sense of style, mystery and macabre comedy to produce something truly unique and utterly charming. Part 2 gets my vote here because almost everything (except the overarching story) was an improvement from part 1: the individual cases, the characters, the music and the general gameplay.

2) Bravely Default: Flying Fairy
We're all clear on one thing; this is a deeply deeply flawed game. But putting aside the elephant in the room, this was probably the most satisfying JRPG I can think of in...well...a very long time. A modern take on classic JRPG understates how much it actually did bring to the table; Every tweak and feature in the general and battle game seemed to have accounted and incorporated the decades in gaming that has past since the golden age of JRPGs. And despite all that, it is rooted firmly in ye olde JRPG roots, with tradition permeating in every aspect. At least up until the point we all came to hate, BD was magical.

3) Dark Souls 2
Back during the demon souls days, I never quite understood what my friends enjoyed the clunky, trapdoor-laden RPG. My second foray into the souls series with DS2 showed me exactly why. It's quite hard to put it in words what about the game appeal when by all accounts, the game's every gameplay decision seem engineered to be off-putting, from the crushing difficulty to the impossibly clunky controls. But finally, when I was on my last estus fighting Pursuer for the tenth time, The mechanics, the difficulty and the design all finally clicked; I was enlightened, and there was no looking back.

And now, I just don't care anymore

4) Super Smash Bros. for 3DS
You all know the story behind this one. Robin and Shulk were the icing on the cake.

5) Dragon Age Inqusition
Possibly the only triple-A title I've played that really deserves a spot on this list, even if it suffers from a whole host of problem. The combat, lauded as the first Dragon Age's strongest (second strongest?) point, has become a joke. The side quests range from interesting to the completely mediocre. And the plot, in all honesty, is underwhelming. To rub salt in the wound, it's still buggy on PC.
Yet Bioware has achieved a world scale the likes of which finally feel like it matches up to the artistic vision of the studio. The utter scope of the game is so immensely wide, filled with the details and lore the likes of which we've never seen from the studio.

And that's it from me. Maybe it's time to bite the bullet and get that Wii U.
Your list has major formatting issues. Parentheses after numbers, no semicolon after the game titles, and comments need to be on the same line as the title and semicolon.

oroboros

1. Ultra Street Fighter IV ; Best expansion for the best fighting game out there right now, I'll always love this game even with its flaws.

2. Dark Souls II ; More Souls can't be bad. I actually liked it just as much as the other Souls games.

3. Binding of Issac: Rebirth ; Amazing, addicting fun. Grinding through the game with crazy item combos is a blast.

4. BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma ; Great fighting game, excellent sprites and animations.

5. Diablo III: Reaper of Souls ; They fixed a ton of the issues I had with the game and added seasons. Diablo is fun again.

6. Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft ; Nothing but fun.

7. Bayonetta 2 ; Didn't play it enough, would probably be number 1 if I did.

8. Ziggurat ; Great!

9. P.T. ; Atmosphere!

10. Lovely Planet ; Fun!

x. Hitman Go ;

x. Crossy Road ;

mr stroke

K5cUBfN.jpg

1.South Park The Stick of Truth ; As someone who enjoys South Park but isn't a huge fan, this game completely blew me away. While gameplay wise its a retread of many JRPGs that does nothing new, nothing comes close to the pure joy of this game. Never has a game actually made me laugh and smile for 10+ hours. While its not "the best game of 2014" its simply the most fun I had in front of my PC all year.

MaXiWKl.jpg

2. Smite ; I hate MOBA's, but for some reason this game hooked me like no other. While its a MOBA at its core, it really feels nothing like LOL or DOTA. Its fast, fresh, has a small learning curve and feels like an action game. One of the best multiplayer experiences of the last 10 years.

3. LOTR Shadow of Mordor
4. Dragon Age Inquisition
5. COD Advance Warfare
6. Walking Dead Season 2
7. Wolfenstein: The New Order
8. Forza Horizon 2
9. TitanFall
10. Infamous: Second Son

Honorable Mentions-Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Madden 15, Mario Kart 8.

Andrew J.

I'll be doing my usual gimmick of listing one or two standout tracks from each game's OST.

1. Bayonetta 2 ; With this game Platinum has smoothed over many of the niggling annoyances that hampered the fantastic original, including fiery enemies, insta-death QTEs, and out-of-body Alfheims. The vehicle segments have been made punchier and easier, and Umbran Climax gives you more options right out of the gate. All the elements that made the first game great are retained-combat mechanics that feel good, original character designs, well thought out encounter design, a high degree of enemy variety, and a number of different weapons that all have different playstyles but still feel satisfying. One improvement I liked but which I haven't seen much discussion of is with the writing. I'm not talking about the plot-although I do appreciate its tighter focus-but the title character. Bayonetta actually seems like a person here throughout, with real relationships, and not a walking avatar of female empowerment, as she was in the first game until close to the end. The climax is relatively disappointing, not rising to the same absurd heights as the first or The Wonderful 101, but it's still great, and it's churlish to genuinely complain about it. Also, there's a giant robot! Standout Music Track: Tomorrow is Mine. No offense to the game's Moon River remix, but the main battle theme is charmingly infectious and perfect for listening to in or out of the game.

2. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U ; I actually put more time into the 3DS version, but I'm consolidating my votes into this one. These games have all the extensive content you'd expect from a Sakurai game, with tons of Nintendo fanservice, cool new characters, and rebalancing. My main, Bowser, feels much more mobile. Plus it has fucking Megaman in it! Standout Music Track: Dedede's Theme Ver. 2. It's a kabuki version of the Dedede battle music! All it needs is a guy going "Yoooooo!" in the background.

3. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze ; A masterful followup to the first Returns game. Maintains Retro's commitment to quality, antepiece-heavy level design, while adding tons of graphical flourishes and camera tricks with the Wii U's added power. It's challenging, often to the point of frustration, but that just makes it sweeter when you win; beating 5-K was probably one of the most heart-pounding gaming experience I've ever had. David Wise's return to music composition is most welcome, too. The boss battles are too long and slow, especially considering the player's health limits, but that's the biggest flaw in this must-play game. Standout Music Track: Snomad Theme. Bit of a dark horse! I like Aquatic Ambiance Returns as much as the next guy, but Snomad Theme's ominous buildup and the transition to the chorus section are just too good.

4. Ace Attorney Investigations 2 ; I was a little leery of playing a fan translation, but this one was very good, accurately capturing the voices of returning characters and presenting compelling ones for new characters. Kudos to the translation team! The story features the most heavily intertwined set of cases in Ace Attorney history by a mile, and in Judge Courtney a character I had a complete turnabout (ha!) on over the course of the game. Standout Music Track: Pursuit - Wanting to Find the Truth. The "Cornered" theme -called "Pursuit" in the Investigations sub-series-are typically the highlights of Ace Attorney soundtracks, and AAI2 is no exception.

5. Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney ; Worth the wait. The two game types compliment each other well, even though they don't really cross over until close to the end. You can tell it's a Layton game first and foremost; the puzzle gameplay is essentially identical to the home series, whereas the trials have all sorts of weird, experimental tweaks (multiple witnesses, the magic book). The plot is pure Layton, too. The puzzles and the trials are a bit easier than you'd typically see in their home series, but I don't really mind. The story...all I'll say is that it got me. It fucking got me. Not the first twist, which I saw coming a mile away, but the second one. I really thought they'd gone too far, but nope. Standout Music Track: Bewitching Puzzles is the best puzzle-solving music the Layton series has ever had and if you disagree I will fight you.

6. Shovel Knight ; "Retro" games, especially platformers, aren't too hard to find nowadays. Games that actually look and feel like the best NES games, though? Those are much rarer, but Shovel Knight delivers. Its honest about its influences but maintains its own identity. Gameplay is challenging but not quite as tough as the most frustrating classic games, and is mitigated further by the elimination of lives and continues for a Souls-esque "lose your loot but you can get it back" system. The writing manages to be consistently funny but still genuinely affecting when it has to be; few NES platformers met even one of those criteria, let alone both. Standout Music Track: The Vital Vitriol. Plague Knights's boss fight theme has a manic yet sinister energy that matches the aesthetics and gameplay of the moment perfectly.

7. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker ; All games are built around the limitations of what you can do, this game just makes that really obvious. I wasn't actually the biggest fan of the Captain Toad sections in Mario 3D World, I think suddenly switching to such a limited character made more nervous about dying than it should have and caused too much stress. This game, however, has a consistent difficulty curve that lets you acclimate smoothly to the good Captain's skillset. There's a good deal of variety here too, more than you might think from the 3D World levels. Most stages feel unique, and the game is rarely repetitive. Apparently some people had trouble with the gyro camera controls; either I have very steady hands or those people are jittery from too much caffeine, because I never had a problem with it. Standout Music Track: Touchstone Trouble. A calming, ethereal track that play when the game is at its purest puzzle-solving best.

8. Pokemon Omega Ruby ; The very first console I ever bought with my own money was a GBA along with a copy of Sapphire, so this game had a lot to live up to. Fortunately, it succeeded; a decade of tech advances allow the game to give much a lot of gravitas and weight to its apocalyptic finale. All the battle system improvements of X/Y are here, including the new Exp Share that makes it easy-maybe too easy-to level up your monsters. Hoenn wasn't built with the idea showing off spectacular views and camera angles in mind like Kalos was, but Game Freak made some tweaks and managed to put in some fairly impressive scenery anyway. The writing is improved, and the various characters now have much more distinct voices. The Delta episode is a great addition, too. The beginning is kinda fetch questy, but Zinnia's a cool character and the climax is completely bonkers. You ride a fucking dragon into space! Standout Music Track: Vs. Wally. The hype is real. Vs. Zinnia might have gotten the nod if that battle hadn't been a complete cakewalk.

9. Mario Kart 8 ; I haven't really played Mario Kart much since 64, but this game just looked too awesome, and the final product lived up to that. The controls are fluid and smooth, with lots of fiddly details you can micromanage or leave alone, if you want. The racers are all bursting with personality, and almost every single track is utterly gorgeous. Many of them offer tantalizing glimpses into a wider universe; what's up with this ancient Thwomp civilization, for example. Standout Music Track: N64 Rainbow Road. I've earned enough hipster cred by not naming Aquatic Ambiance Returns my favorite Tropical Freeze music, right?

10. Hyrule Warriors ; Never really played a Musou game before, but the idea of Zelda in a new genre was too intriguing. All the characters, music, and neat little touches drew me in, what kept me in was the flow of the game itself. The combat mechanics are deeper than I'd thought before, but not by much, and were basically engaging in themselves, but the real hook is in managing the battlefield, making strategic decisions about where to go, who to fight, and what keeps to take with multiple priorities weighing on you. There's all sorts of wonderful grindy bullshit to eat up countless hours of your time if like that sort of thing; Skultulla hunting, leveling, crafting, badges, the adventure maps. Cia's costume is too revealing, and the story feels like it was written by a fangirl who likes Link but ships Link/Zelda too hard to actually pair him with her OC, but on the plus side we get that "play as Ganon" story so many people have been clamoring for. Standout Music Track: Remnant of Twilight. A lot of this game's music was relatively disappointing; most of it's just combining classic Zelda music with electric guitars in way that don't feel particularly imaginative. Remnant of Twilight, however, actually feels somewhat original.

Honorable Mentions

x. Kirby: Triple Deluxe ; It's not often the term "power fantasy" is applied to Kirby, but the Hypernova mechanic really qualifies. It's awesome to just devour enemies that would have been tough fights normally. The games makes good use of multiple planes and stereostopic 3D, and retains the surprisingly deep gameplay options we've come to expect from the franchise. This game too features an unexpectedly over-the-top climax that makes seeing the credits seem like a real accomplishment.

x. Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy ; It's a pretty good Layton game! The world traveling gimmick allows for some good environmental variety, but also makes it harder to search for the new puzzles that crop up at the damndest times. The story revelations at the end are just too ridiculously soapy. And that last seal/ball puzzle can go to hell.

x. The Legend of Korra ; Platinum made a fun fighting system, but didn't have the time or money for much else. Enemy variety is low, encounter design is lacking, and the environments are just drab and ugly. Naga running segments get a lot of flack, but once I got used to them I thought they were neat little diversions, actually.

x. Bravely Default ; I'm sure this game would be rated higher if only I had managed to put more time into it. As it is, I'm in the middle of Chapter 1, and the game doesn't even really start until Chapter 5. The presentation is charming, from the cute graphics, to the characterful text, to the awesome battle music. The battle mechanics and job system have depth I haven't even begun to really comprehend yet. Here's hoping I can beat it before Bravely Second comes out!

x. Azure Striker Gunvolt ; The core gameplay is fine, if a little basic. I don't really like how equipment upgrades are locked behind games of chance and tough skill challenges. The song resurrection mechanic is probably a little too overpowered, even though it makes you feel like you're playing an awesomely cheesy anime.

1. Wolfenstein: The New Order ; Finally a single player FPS that I can actually be enthused about. Great characterisation, level design and combat make this one of the best FPS games since Half-Life 2 and Crysis.

2. Shadow of Mordor ; It's a game where I can completely understand peoples' dislike of it. Yet for me it was a polished and well thought out open world/adventure/brawler hybrid.

3. Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes ; A deft demonstration that Kojima's turned his eye to crafting a great game to go alongside a great experience.

4. Titanfall ; Easily the best MP game I played this year. Only thing it really lacked was longevity.

5. The Evil Within ; A Resident Evil 4 spiritual sequel it was not, but it had a lot of the game balance and craft expected of a Mikami game.

6. Far Cry 4 ; This gets on my list by virtue of not fucking with what made Far Cry 3 so good and mildly improved upon it.

7. Valiant Hearts - The Great War ; I loved the platform puzzler style which combined surprisingly well with its WW1 subject matter as a driving force behind its narrative.

Sobriquet

After much deliberation, I feel that only two games belong on my list. I didn't play that much this year. Most of what I did play was either a disappointment or ineligible for GOTY. So here we go.

1. Sunset Overdrive ; The most fun I've had with a game in years. This is seemingly what happens when you give a talented developer free reign to create exactly what they want. It felt like a love letter to games and gaming. No compromises; just pure fun.

2. Dragon Age: Inquisition ; By far the most time I spent playing a game this year. I just love being in the world, so much so that I can overlook some admittedly poor design choices. It's been a good long while since I've marathoned a game like this. "Just one more quest" I kept telling myself.

1. Dragon Age Inquisition ; As 2014 was drawing to a close, I have to admit to have enjoyed playing 2013's best again more than brand new games, thankfully Dragon Age came along, bringing together my favourite elements of Mass Effect and Skyrim and becoming my favourite western RPG since Mass Effect 2.
2. The Last of Us: Left Behind ;
3. Far Cry 4 ;
4. Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor ;
5. Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes ;

1. Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn (PS4) ; I'll be completely honest. If Square Enix hadn't decided to release this on the PS4, I wouldn't have given this game the time of day. I'm not into RPGs, and I'm definitely not into MMORPGs. But since there were very few games on the PS4 that I had interest in at the time, I decided to give the Alpha version. I was immediately hooked and I haven't looked back since. Still playing the game since its PS4 release and will continue to play especially when the expansion, Heavensward, comes out in a couple of months.

2. Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition (PS4) ; A game I didn't bother with when it came out for the PS3/360, but decided to drop $60 on since Battlefield 4 left such a bad taste in my mouth with its bullshit mess. In short, it was $60 well spent. Bring on Rise of the Tomb Raider.

3. Destiny (PS4) ; I wish I knew how to quit you.

4. Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call ; Over 200+ songs from 25+ games (not including the DLC songs from other Square Enix titles). What more can you ask for? Besides more characters (FFS, give us Krile already!) and more songs (No Castle Pandemonium but Liberi Fatali is coming thank goodness).

5. inFamous: Second Son

6. Kirby Triple Deluxe

7. inFamous: First Light

8. Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment ; As a fan of the show (suck it, haters), I just had to pick this up. Didn't spend much time as I had hoped (thanks FF14!). I didn't even to get to the part with Kirito spending bedtime with each of the girls. ;_; One of these days, I'll get back into this game. Maybe even finish it if I'm lucky.

9. P.T. ; When I first saw the reaction video to this game during its debut at Gamescom, I wasn't impressed. I was thinking to myself that it couldn't have been that scary. Of course that changed when I actually did play it
Don't look behind you! >.<
Some real creepy shit in that game. Did I finish it? Sadly no. Probably should have asked for help regarding some of the puzzles. Did playing this make me excited for Silent Hills? Hell Yes. Am I hoping that game is as scary/creepy as P.T. was? You betcha.

x. The Evil Within (PS4) ; Another game I didn't finish (only finished 4 or 5 chapters), and certainly one I would like to complete before passing final judgement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom