• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year 2015 - Voting Thread [LAST DAY FOR VOTING]

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadWolf

1. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; huge MGS fan here so the expectations were through the roof and the game still passed with flying colors. A top notch game in pretty much every regard from the story and characters to the music, graphics and gameplay. The character animation and gameplay mechanics are just on another level, feels like an RE4 levels of a leap forward. So many memorable moments.

2. Bloodborne ; Best souls game. Feels like they cut out all the fat and cheese and left just the pure fun aspects of the series. Amazing world design and very satisfying combat.

3. Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition ; One of the deepest combat systems ever in a game gets three more characters to play with. What's not to like?

5. Resident Evil: Revelations 2 ; A really solid RE game.

tariniel

1. Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate ; The best monster hunter to date, I sunk about 300 hours into it. The new weapons, especially the Charge Blade, are just a ton of fun. The online play on 3DS was perfect too + lots of free DLC.
2. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; Despite all of the games problems, the gameplay is some of the best I've ever experienced and the story isn't as bad as a lot of people like to say, IMO.
3. Bloodborne ; My favorite of all the souls-type games by far. As much a horror game as a souls game, the story and setting are amazing.
4. Super Mario Maker ; Perfect game to kill some time here and there or spend a while creating a level. Had fun with creating levels to send to friends and such. They also are adding more tools for free which is amazing.
5. Splatoon ; Honestly it looked really boring from trailers to me, but I bought on a friends recommendation and had a really great time with it.
6. Path of Exile: The Awakening ; The expansion that added act4 and kept me hooked for yet another 100 hours or so on top of what I had already played.
7. Call of Duty: Black Ops III ; Probably the most feature-rich CoD I've ever played.
8. Destiny: The Taken King ; I had a lot of fun until the raid - I think it gets too hard to be fun at that point but I still got a solid 100 hours from the leveling experience, PvP and dungeons! Good time with friends and the recent sparrow racing is promising.

entremet

This year was mostly backlog mode for me, so I only have one entry.

1. Super Mario Maker ; I still can't believe how well Nintendo nailed this. I remember reading people thoughts on why use this instead of stuff like Lunar Magic. The tools were built with the same care and attention to detail that Nintendo uses for their games. A child could built intricate levels with ease on the Gamepad.

It's not a perfect game. It needs better curation tools. I know a website is coming, but ideally everything should be done in game. But the game continues to get nice updates, and my big hope is a Doki Doki Panic/SMB2USA DLC.

1. Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
2. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
3. Bloodborne
4. Super Mario Maker
5. Splatoon
6. Path of Exile: The Awakening
7. Call of Duty: Black Ops III
8. Destiny: The Taken King

Add at least a ; and comment. Monster Hunter could use some support, would be a shame if the vote is invalid. :)

1. Rocket League; I cant think of any other game in the last decade that brought me so much joy and excitement. Had so many great gaming nights with a full party and it was just pure laughs and fun. It was fun to begin with but after some time refining my skills with aerial shots and playmaking, the game just completely opened up and became worse than a crack addiction. Shoutouts to v1lla21, Flunkie, Bananafactory, Rayman(get a gaf account already), Tunavi, Tagg09, Kaiyo, cr_blah_blah, BioSpock, Zeyphersan, Net_Wrecker, Pager99 and everyone else I might have missed from RocketGAF. Seriously some of the best gaming memories thanks to RL and everyone that played on a nightly basis. In a year with so many great games, its incredible that a free PSN game took the crown this year. Thank you Psyonix.

2. Bloodborne; What can I say? For my first Miyazaki game, I was even a bit skeptical going into it. I almost gave up playing a few hours in because I kept dying waaay too much, it was just frustrating. I stuck with it and it eventually just clicked around the time I reached the Cleric Beast. When I finally beat the Cleric Beast, I had this feeling of satisfaction I've never had before with a game. I literally jumped out of my chair cheering. The difficulty and the sense of dread, the responsive gameplay, the art style, the music.. just everything about this game was incredible. I played it non stop until I finished NG+. What an incredible, rewarding experience. I'm now a Miyazaki fan and look forward to getting into the other souls games and anything else that comes from From in the future.

3. Fallout 4; Originally this was my number 1 pick but after some thought it ended up moving down a few spots. I could not put this game down. I still cant. Level 65 now and still finding new things to do and places to explore. Some of the changes made had me scratching my head like the dialog system, but I'll be damned if I haven't enjoyed every second with it. The improved gameplay mechanics and world density, just the sheer amount of things to explore and do allowed me to fully lose myself in its world. What an incredible game. I can lose days just messing around with the settlement building. Can't wait to see Bethesdas next game. Hopefully some design choices they made don't carry over for their next games.

4. The Witcher 3; Holy shit. Another incredible game. So hard to choose this year. The story telling was superb, the world itself was just absolutely gorgeous. The combat system was meh at first but once I got used to it, it felt great. I must have taken at least a thousand screenshots in this game. Every vista I came across, every forest and city I visited, I just panned the camera around and marveled and how breathtakingly beautiful everything was. My first Witcher game and a damn impressive first time with CDPR. The game deserves all the praise it gets and I'm going insane just thinking about Cyberpunk 2077. Bravo.

5. Metal Gear Solid V; I cant ignore how great the gameplay was even if I was sorely disappointed about its story and pacing. I never finished it and I never will but this was a few design choices away from being one of the best games I ever played. I hope to god if we ever get another MGS game that they stay the hell away from the open world design. Fucking hell.

6. Hotline Miami 2; Fast, fun and hard. Killer soundtrack and strange but funny story make this game a must for anyone thats up for a good challenge.

The rest of my year has been catching up on backlog or taken up by Rocket League so thats all for me this year.

2MxFlZv.png

1. Life is Strange ; If you had have asked me twelve months ago, after seeing the first trailer of it, if I had seen Life is Strange as not only a GOTY candidate, but would outright be in with an actually serious chance of winning it, I would have dismissed you. I mean it looked alright, but nothing incredible and was shaping up to be a bit too tweeny (if that makes sense). And especially in a year where a new, mainline, numbered Metal Gear was out.

And yet, at the end of the year, we have a game that has more heart, more emotion and more originality than anything else this year. Remember Me was a unique idea and had some great stuff, but fell short subsequently for me. But even I never expected Dontnod to bounce back from it – and financial uncertainty at one point – in the biggest and best possible way.

Never have I played a game since The Last of Us that made me full on cry to a game than Life is Strange did at numerous times in the season, but never moreso than the ending. Even with issues including wonky dialogue and shoddy lip sync, it tells a wonderful story of two teenage girls growing up, focusing on the little things that matter and more, facets of which can some people can relate to – I certainly did. And how within the space of a few episodes, the tone manages to flip excellently from said story of growing up and a rekindled friendship to something incredibly dark and twisted.

Plus, a soundtrack that really picks its moments well throughout the season. Would the end of episodes two or three respectively have worked so well without Local Natives’ Mt Washington or Mogwai’s Kids Will Be Skeletons? And depending on which ending you picked, what about Foals’ Spanish Sahara?

But if anything, it should be remembered for dealing head on with serious issues and including them in a delicate and careful but thought provoking way. Suicide, bullying, death, discovering one’s sexuality, to name a few. Dontnod and Square Enix deserve every single bit of praise their way for all of that.

As I said, even with its flaws, it’s a game that had more heart, soul and emotion than anything else this year. For me, it’s the best game I’ve played since The Last of Us.

Life is Strange is my game of the year. And I am so happy it is. And I am so happy a game like Life is Strange exists.

ZDMvcjD.png

2. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; In any other year, this would be my game of the year. Actually, the past two numbered instalments, 3 and 4, have both been my game of the year (if I was aware of the GOTY concept in 2002, I’d give it to 2 as well) with 3 being one of my top three favourite games.

But The Phantom Pain is nothing to bulk at all the same, obviously. In Kojima’s swansong to Metal Gear – and Konami – he provided not only one of the best open world games this-gen so far (perhaps tied with The Witcher III consensus wise, but this surpasses it for me) but one of the best ever created in turn with one of the best stealth games ever.

Whether it conveniently wrapped up the entire series in a bow is still up for debate and there is a part of me that’s sad we’ll never get a MGS6 with The Boss as the main character- certainly not one from Kojima at the helm as a producer at least – but for what it’s worth, I felt I got closure. And I’m okay with that.

Thanks for thirteen incredible years, Kojima.

WBpQzOT.jpg

3. Everybody's Gone to the Rapture ; A story of love and loss.

That’s how someone described Rapture when talking of it to me earlier this year. And I’d be pretty hard pressed to disagree.

For the three hours you spend with the game, you get such an amazing tale of those virtues mentioned above, finding out the backstory to specific characters – from nosy old racist Wendy all the way to mechanic Rhys trying to get his life back on track after recently coming out from prison – and exploring such a beautiful village in the English countryside with something more dramatic and apocalyptic happening in the background. It’s a story that really resonated with me hugely because of a huge loss I went through a year ago.

But the star of the show is the incredible, haunting soundtrack. I swear to God, if Jessica Curry doesn’t win all the awards that should go her way for the soundtrack, there is something so fundamentally fucking wrong with this industry. Quite frankly, everyone should be etching her name on those soundtrack awards right now.

Anyway. Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture is such a hard-hitting game as is, but doubly more so if it has actual resonance with you. It’s something everyone should play.

lZOAyjB.png

4. Rise of the Tomb Raider ; Rise of the Tomb Raider is Crystal Dynamics’ Uncharted 2 moment. Seriously.

It’s hard not to make comparisons between the two, but I make the comparison because Rise is such an improvement on Tomb Raider 2013. I mean sure it looks better, but that isn’t why it’s an improvement. It’s story is such a better romp to play through (and I say that as someone who enjoyed TR 2013’s story) and gameplay feeling much more tighter as a response. Plus, much better setpieces.

It is such a fantastic action game that, even with a sequel set up at the end of Rise, it’s difficult to see how much Crystal Dynamics can iterate further when the third TR game in the modern era comes out. But as far as stepping stones go, this is a pretty great one to go from.

Just play Rise of the Tomb Raider already.

PmpGUre.png

5. Splatoon ; I underestemated Splatoon big time. Like, massively.

The first massive new Nintendo IP in quite some time, the concept was neat on paper, but I felt it’d be more of a fallacy I’d spend more more than two-to-three hours with if given the game. Instead, what I played was a rarity in itself: one of the very few games these days where I’ve played a multiplayer suite, enjoyed it – and this is the rare bit – and actually stayed around in it for a while yet compared to most MP games.

In fact, to help further my point, I’ve barely touched the single-player aspect to the game. Most of the time I’ve spent with the game this year has been from multiplayer.

Even when you’re rubbish at trying to take down other players, the game still makes you feel like you’re contributing something worthwhile to the match in a support role inking up the map that’ll determine whether you win or not.

Like I said, I really underestimated Splatoon. I was wrong about it. And I’m glad I was. Because it really is such a fun game.

Z2VuA0q.png

6. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker ; I’ve never played a platformer with as much charm and wonderfulness than Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker when it came out in Europe at the start of the year. It should be of no surprise, really, but it still doesn’t take away how brilliant it is.

It’s insane how the game changes it up every so often, yet keeps you entice to keep going. Just when you think you have the game figured out, it throws a curveball at you down the line and makes you rethink how to approach it. There’s some excllent game design here.

But, and this seems to be a thing I’m saying so often now this time of year, it’s that Nintendo polish that really makes it stand out. So vivid and full of charm. Captain Toad is perhaps my favourite platfomer since Rayman Origins. It’s just wonderful and is easily worth checking out for Wii U owners.

6EYBXeV.png

7. Her Story ; This caught me off guard, admittedly. But as word of mouth started to spread around it, Her Story eventually found its way to me. And what a story it was.

Playing it on iPad (first time I have an iOS game in my GOTY list – it’s also out on PC), there was an incredible sense of mystery going into the game that had me very much hooked than I was expecting. It was a game that had a lot of people talking and theorising. It was certainly intriguing.

Her Story was a unique experience in games this year, one of few admittedly. And one that, again, caught me by surprise. But I’m glad it did because it’s excellent. Go check it out if you haven’t already.

lQNXFgJ.jpg

8. Fallout 4 ; Disclosure: I am not even in the halfway mark of Fallout 4; I’ve only put in ten, eleven hours as of writing this (which’ll have increased to 13, 14 hours after Thursday’s stream) and I’ve been distracted by other games. So far, the main story doesn’t seem to pull me in.

But yet, I still love what I’ve played so far of Fallout 4. The game seems a lot more tighter gameplay wise with first-person shooting mechanics being much, much better than they were in Fallout 3 and for my complaints of the main story not pulling me into the game so far, it’s when you go off the beaten track and don’t follow the waypoint marker on the Pipboy that the game opens up to you in possibilities that feels more natural.

I’m disappointed it’s not higher up in my list for a variety of reasons, but I still really like Fallout 4 a great deal. But only when I’m not marching to the drum of the main story’s beat, it seems.

RLbEFaS.jpg

9. Rocket League ; Cars. Football. What else needs to be said?

Even if you’re not a fan of football, this is still pure joy to play just for the experience. Even when you’re rubbish at it – and this is preaching to the choir from first-hand experience – you still get the biggest smile on your face when playing it. It’s just ridiculous fun.

And maybe, just maybe, once and a while, you’ll score the kind of goal in that just makes you go all Ronaldo.

vGfQwt8.png

10. DriveClub Bikes ; To emphasise how much of a turnaround DriveClub has had in the year since its awful launch, Evolution has continued to iterate on the game as more of a service, providing free additions and updates to the game as well as actually providing a season pass that is actually worth people’s money in one of the rare instances that a season pass actually works.

When DriveClub Bikes was announced at Paris Games Week in October as either DLC for the main game or as a standalone game, however, it added to the game in the biggest way since the game’s launch. Driving bikes feel is just as much a joy to play than the cars once you know how to control the bikes properly.

It adds even more excellent value to the DriveClub experience and shows how it has come in massive strides since last October’s launch.

x. Just Cause 3
x. Tearaway Unfolded
x. Destiny: The Taken King

1. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain; Amazing gameplay, music, and I liked the story.
2.Bloodborne; Great combat, art style, boss fights and music.
3. Xenoblade Chronicles X;Amazing world and exploration and skells too.
4. The Witcher 3; Great dialogue and characters.
5. Splatoon; The best and the most enjoyable shooter I have played in years.
6.Transformers: Devastation;Frantic action, great bosses and music.

Edit: This is my final list.

ohlawd

10. Persona 4: Dancing All Night ; Usually I'm not one to perform autofellatio, metaphorically speaking, but the characters in this game, lord. They're very good at it. The game takes place some time after Persona 4. By then the characters have broken free from their weaknesses and angst and whatnot. Yu's a nice dude but dude you gotta lay off the Kool-Aid when it comes to yourself and your teammates. No one on the planet gives two hoots how you guys have grown as characters.

Now the gameplay's actually good. I'm not good enough at rhythm games to start playing on harder difficulties, but I was doing alright on Normal. I could see noticeable improvements as I played when I started doing songs on Hard. Unfortunately, I'm still a scrub by GAF standards because I can count on one hand the number of the songs I can play on All Night which is the highest difficulty.

This section's for Rise because I love her and she's 99% of the reason I bought this game at launch. I would have bought it on sale otherwise. Her song choices and dancing are so awesome. My fiery little devil. Gonna miss Rise so much, no joke :(

The game does repeat a lot of songs with different remixes though. I wonder how Secret Base would have sounded like if someone got their hands on it and remixed some vocals in. Everyone else's dancing though. Chie looks like a goof with her kungfu moves. Naoto's okay. Yosuke's okay. Teddie sucks. Yu told me Kanji lacks finesse in his dancing because he rocks them power moves. That's alright, I'll buy it. Kanami's good, as expected of an idol. Nanako's cute, The only time Yukiko dances well is in the OP when she's spinning around. Them legs umph. She looks good in the OP when she's standing too. Yu's good. The only time the cast is right in giving each other metaphorical handjobs is when they praise his dancing. It makes ME want to learn how to dance.

9. Atelier Shallie: Alchemists of the Dusk Sea ; The Atelier series is mostly known for having an amazing heck aesthetic in the games. Cute girls everywhere. Broad range of colors are employed. Crafting system is simple to understand, harder to master. Keep listing all the positives but the positives fade to nothing when you bring up "time limits." We've had time limits in these games for years but Shallie loses them. Suddenly, people are interested. Go check the threads. I ain't gonna do it but the thirst is real to rid the world of time limits.

Time limits are a good thing when done right. They're needed to push the player to plan ahead. Lots of things in the game takes time to do with a finite amount of days. The games have been getting lenient with its time limits, so I'm not entirely surprised it got to this point of forgoing them. Shallie loses all of this urgency with no time limit in place. Story-wise, it doesn't even make any sense. The main character, Shallistera, has been sent by her village to fix the water crisis. Water's important, yeah. But there's no time limit! I can take as many years as I want to finish this game. By that point, the village's all dust and bones. Now the other main girl, Shallotte, she's got another good reason why no time limits makes as much sense as steak skewered on popsicles. It's kinda spoiler-y but kinda isn't. Bring back strict time limits, Gust.

I'll handwave the story related time limit things outta here. The rest of the game is as good as I'd want them to be. The combat's the best out of the series right now. The music's as orgasmic as its predecessors. The characters are just there, some are good and the others are okay. No one's irritable. Escha's back <3 Shallotte's so hyper and bubbly, I enjoyed her presence on-screen a lot. Sailor fuku costumes are my jam, and she rocks them.

8. Halo 5: Guardians ; I don't understand tech, but I do understand FPS and Halo 5's got a solid 60. Gunplay feels amazing. Game looks really good too. Rest of the world doesn't agree, but I'm not the rest of the world. I like all the Halo games, but 5's the closest one to reach the affection I have for 2.

343i, why on earth would you let THAT happen in the campaign. You know, the thing with the Warden. Inexcusable. It's bad game design because while I could ignore it if he got new tricks, he didn't. He's the same fight all throughout. If you're going to repeat bosses, raise the difficulty every time. The player's gun skills improve as they proceed through the campaign. Should have scaled Warden to that.

I was never any good at Halo multiplayer, so I won't get into that. I guess I could stomach getting wrecked every encounter because I had the luxury of laughing it up with my buddies near me with Halo 2 when we were younger. Reality sucks because local play is dead and it's all online now. I don't have the time nor fortitude to actually get better though. Got too many games I haven't finished.

7. Senran Kagura 2: Deep Crimson ; Bidding farewell to a series is something that shouldn't really have to happen. It's going to happen though because this is the last SK game I'll play unless we get another 2D SK. 2D is dead, brehs. In the first 30 minutes I almost wrote this game off because it felt entirely off to Senran Kagura Burst, its closest relative in the series. Dodging didn't seem right, likewise with attacking. But you get used to it like a lot of things. I'm not sure if I like 1 or 2 better, but 2 is fun enough that it makes my ballot. The story is heavily cut down from 1 in detail. The exposition is mostly gone now, but I'll chalk that up to 1 needing to flesh out the characters. 2 starts with the top-heavy established characters from the first so the only story left to tell are the new characters in Naraku and Kagura.

The first game revolved around chasing, following up on launched enemies with air combos, but this one seemed to be all about ground battles. After clearing the story, I used Yomi for clearing the Yoma's Nest, a multi-level pit of enemies with specific objectives. Gah she's amazing. She uses a great sword and some sorta crossbow. Attacks are slow but impactful when they connect. I just love Ai Kayano, her voice is so HNNNNG. Chasing is awful in this game otherwise I'd have used Hibari a lot more. Forgive me, Yuka Iguchi. But I still love your voice although I don't hear it much anymore :(

There's also a photo mode where you can dress up the girls and put them in totally provocative poses like spreading their legs and stuff AND have them wear matching facial expressions to beat. I didn't use it though. Honest.

6. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt ; I didn't play Witcher 1 and 2. Sorry. I probably could have read some summaries to familiarize myself with Geralt and the other recurring characters. Got the game since I needed a western game to play during the first half of the year Hats off to CDPR for succeeding because TW3's good.

Combat's still bad though. That thought of mine isn't going to disappear. The lore actually went through the trouble of telling me witchers hunt their contracts with masterful displays of ballerina moves and crudely concocted potions made with griffin poop and pubic hair from a 50-year-old virgin. Not buying it. Like Shallie, the disconnect is real and can't be ignored. The battle system does not feel good to play and that's all there is to it. Turning up the difficulty was a band-aid. I was more attentive but still going through the motions. Not putting with this farce any longer, I lowered the difficulty down to brain dead levels. I'm in it for the story now.

The quest lines are aight. If I could sit here and have to think about the possible consequences of my actions, then the writers deserve praise. Like how was I supposed to know X would have died if I let Y happen? And no, I don't want to know I was supposed to know that. If there's one thing I'd change in one and only playthrough of The Witcher 3, I'd be faithful. Unfortunately, the game went full realistic on me and I went for both girls. Shucks. You can reverse the gender and I'd feel the same. If I knew, I would have gone for Triss. Oh man, I missed out on the Triss train. I still saw most of the possible sex scenes with all the girls though. Would have been awesome if I earned a harem in the end.

5. Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold: The Fafnir Knight ; Atlus' premier series is back with a remake of one of the old EOs. The relentless dungeon crawling + floor travel, Yuzo Koshiro gracing us plebs with his heavenly music once again, the relentless battles, all still here.

I didn't play the original EO2 so no comment.

4. Xenoblade Chronicles X ; Uh uh uh yeah, yeah yeah YEAH

When I first set foot on Primordia, I was like YO!
Then I got my Skell and I was like YOOO!!
Finally, I got my flight module so my Skell could fly and I was YOOOOOO!!!

3. Stella Glow ; Imageepoch, defunct JRPG savior, has finally made a game better than Fate/Extra. A strategy game that definitely punches above its weight.

Nowhere near Jeanne D'Arc levels of easy peasy difficulty but it's not super hardcore either. The developers did a fine job crafting an intriguing world with easy to pick up gameplay. There's no deep numbers game I gotta play that would make even hardened accountants go numb. It's right up there with Fire Emblem in accessibility. High defense means less damage. High attacks means attacks have more oomph behind them. High move for an easier time to get to key areas. Hit enemies on their side for improved accuracy and behind them for higher damage. The maps are small at first and they get larger as enemy counts start to rise. The strategy foundations are there from the start, they compound as you make progress and they stay all the way until you see the credits.

The game boasts a large cast of characters and through social links, you can learn what makes them tick. Serves as a nice break in between fighting. In your first run, you won't have enough time to interact with everybody but NG+ removes this limit. I do like micromanaging the time in games like this, but I didn't think about it too much here since there wasn't enough time. I had a clear set of favorites to focus on so I missed out on a lot of other characters' development. A lot of the girls are cute. And the story, it got really depressing at times. I don't wanna talk about it. It's spoilers, and it makes me really sad.

2. Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water ; Probably the worst reviewed game on my list if it weren't for people docking points in Senran Kagura 2 because hurrdurr it's all pandering and no gameplay. Apparently has clunky everything. Clunky story, clunky controls, clunky atmosphere, clunky depictions of women in scary settings, all clunky.

But that's what I love about it. I don't think any of those things are clunky. Fatal Frame's always been stuck in this weird place where other games moved on to supposed improved gameplay or stuck in the past with outdated gameplay. It does whatever it does really well. Whatever that something is I do not know or care enough to think about.

Controls, controls, controls. When a ghost is in my vicinity and I get hurt from its attack because my character took too long to turn properly despite having made the proper input to avoid it but it happened anyway, I won't blame the game. I'm sold, why not. Not everything has to control and respond as well a 3D Mario game. I like how the character moves and sway and turn and pivot like someone's anchored their body to a rock.

As for GamePad use, KT done good. Your character is on their merry way to collect some key for a locked door because of course there'd be a locked door that impedes progress and poof, a ghost appears. Let's bring out the camera since these ghosts are so photogenic. Using the GamePad screen, it's almost like you're using the Camera Obscura yourself. As you fight a ghost, you'll see bits and pieces of the ghost right beside the main body. Those are weaknesses and taking shots of ghosts with those pieces in the shot helps deal more damage. You're not limited to holding the GamePad horizontally as you're able to hold it vertically if you aren't seeing weaknesses normally. I haven't held it that way often because it's uncomfortable and I'm fine on missing a few weaknesses to deal with baddies. Holding the GamePad as is feels good though. When you've got a good feel on a ghost and its attacks, you can take advantage of Shutter Chance to really crank out some damage for a couple seconds. Really fun spamming that R button away as you watch the damage numbers on your screen and the enemy HP fall significantly.

What's different for this Fatal Frame than the others is the game isn't entirely connected. Instead of being an adventure game with a beginning and an end, Fatal Frame V is broken up into chapters where you are free to play the next chapter or replay old ones. The game isn't hard enough to force players to search every nook and cranny for the best possible films and items to use against a potentially strong ghost they might face later on. It's kind of a waste because the game is hauntingly gorgeous and there isn't a real reason to explore for items. I'm not the type of guy who runs around looking for eyecandy in games because it's a waste of time. I need a reason to be where I'm at. There are instances where ghosts may appear in some far-off place and that would be a good reason to explore and take in the atmosphere but they're very few in number. Every chapter starts off with a predetermined set of items. You can ease yourself into ghost busting by buying additional items and film. And with that point, exploring in every chapter is rent pointless. For me, yeah.

Character design, man. Everyone is so gorgeous. The girls, the one guy, everyone. A lot of people find this questionable. The game is set in a creepy shrine, dreary forest, house that hides itself under the cover of fog and here are these beautiful people rocking stylized hair, clothes like they're going on a date. I don't find this to negate the atmosphere. When I'm tired of looking at some creepy places, I'll just look at the characters. It's a nice balance.

All in all, Fatal Frame V inconceivably isn't the sum of its parts. It's got awful, bad, okay, good, and great parts. It's a product of some alternate universe where 2 + 2 equals 100. The math doesn't add up, but Fatal Frame makes it work, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

1. Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate ; The MH team has done it again. I mean, if there is a dev team in Capcom dedicated to bringing us an MH every once in a while. Gaming is bigger than ever and at the same time harder than ever to find a game that expertly combines calculating combat with an addicting loot system. The story took you to a hip-and-happening desert city, a beach rivaling that of Brazil's, underneath the land with nothing but fire and brimstone, and a mystic village high above the clouds. The lances poke true, the hunting horns sing harmoniously, and the great sword cleaves through bodies. 400 hours under my belt and every second was a blast to play.

At first, you're a rookie hunter tasked boring activities like gathering mushrooms and herbs and hunting small game. Your equipment is garbage. But like the previous games, you have access to weapons of each type right away so you can find something that'll strike your fancy. I normally main the lance, which no one ever uses. No one ever uses it because it's not very mobile at first but why turtle yourself when you can unsheathe, run up to a monster, and unleash thy fury (of thunder). As you trudge through the small time stuff, slowly but surely, you prove yourself to the higher ups of the residents. They see your potential as the answer to their problems. The slayer of giants. That's you, hunter.

You could say a lot of negative things about the 3DS' screen and I'd go ahead and agree with every single one of them. But it's good enough to see all the detail in monster animation they almost mimic real animals. I almost feel bad killing them as a result. Before they notice you, they're out doing what it is animals do in the wild. They'd be eating less fortunate animals, sleeping, grazing, the works. Sometimes they scan their environment because they heard or seen something they shouldn't have. And when they see you, they perk up. This adds a nice dose of personality in the monsters you're soon to carve up for body parts. When they see you run up to them and they feel your killing intent, they tense their body and follow up with a roar. I kinda compare it to the gun you hear in sprinting competitions. It's show time. So here you are, running around like a headless chicken until you get a feel for its behavior. Like when I see one perform a tail swipe. The tail is an obvious hitbox, but what else? Oh, I notice the head moves very sharply in the opposite direction. That could hurt if I were positioned there. Okay, let's fast forward a bit and now the monster is exhausted. As it should be as they've been constantly moving their sharp body parts and breathing fire for ten minutes. Drools drip down their mouth. Attacks that take a lot of energy to perform now fail. Let's take the Tigrex, an agile half tiger, half T. Rex old favorite. At its peak, it can do three back-to-back charges. When it's tired, it does its lunge and when it turns around to do another it stumbles on itself and for a bit, is helpless to attacks. Alright, poke, smash, crush and now the monster is on its last legs. The monster limps to get away from the group of pint-sized humans in an attempt to recover at its nest. Now this when I feel like a real scumbag. Sleeping monsters receive a damage multiplier so it's in your best interest to use your strongest attacks. So when your lvl 3 Great Sword charge connects and you hear that death cry, I don't know. Awful to hear like I really did kill an animal. Then it slumps over and now you can crouch over to carve it.

Tri and 3 Ultimate, the previous generation games before 4U, had underwater battles, a way to introduce 360 degree battle in hunting. Now we have verticality. Almost every piece of area in the map provides players a platform (hah) to jump off cliffs to attack monsters. A cliff too high needs vines or anything that can be grabbed onto to scale. Terrain barely taller than your character can be scaled naturally just by running up to them with almost no loss in speed. The game offers a lot in movement and it's great that there's not much to slow you down. So far, all you can really do with the higher places is run off it to do an attack in mid-fair to an enemy to mount it. Some button mashing shenanigans take place. Succeeding topples the monster for a while so you can let loose with attacks. What's dumb is anyone attacking the monster getting a back treatment screws up the mounting. There'd be a small interlude where the others are just standing there waiting. Looks goofy while I'm holding on to dear life hahah. Ultimately (stop) though, fighting from high places isn't really a improvement to underwater fighting so much as an alternative. We lost true 360 battles to being able to use verticality in a lot of more areas, as opposed to saving only two or three pools of water in a 10-area map. It's a fair trade, all things considering. Not a lot of monsters took advantage of the terrain though, but whatever. The only ones for sure are the monkey? ape? gorilla? monsters who'd hang off the grown out vine platforms. These guys would scratch their bodies while idle. Total shame I have to kill them after. They're just chilling, man.

And you repeat this cycle of hunting again and again. You forge weapons and armor from the beasts you've slayed, all to slay even bigger menaces for their parts. And every time, you make the connection from human to animal. Hunt or be hunted. Don't get me wrong though. It's exhilarating to get stronger and stronger. It's still a game and it's not like I'm tempted to run out and kill some dogs or whatever. It's a power trip and I'm all over it in my virtual world. Monsters that used to take 15 minutes to defeat now take two minutes with stronger equipment. At the beginning of your journey you start out with a hammer made of sticks and stones and by the end have one that expels devastating heat that permeates the vicinity with every swing. This all sounds like grind, grind, grind. Ahh, but it's not a grind when it's so dang fun.

I still like 3 Ultimate best because it has Agnaktor, a giant fire lizard that hardens its body with lava, and this doesn't but it's still better than the vast majority of games released this year. Easy.

x. Atelier Ayesha Plus: The Alchemist of Dusk ; Hard mode was fun. Great way to start a game with enemies having higher HP, less items produced when synthesizing, items are more expensive, etc. Finished the original game on PS3 though.

x. Story of Seasons ; Harvest Moon games are huge timesinks. I haven't been able to spend a great deal of time playing one since the HMs on GBC. You might say I haven't spent much time on this game if I haven't married someone yet! Elise, I'll take your hand in marriage someday.

x. Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2 Record Breaker ; This would absolutely break into my GotY list, but I make it a point to not include games I've played way before. Atlus did a great job bringing in a set of talented voice actors and actresses to bring the already full-of-life characters of Devil Survivor 2 into full-er life. The Triangulum arc, which adds on to the original story, is awesome since it's more Devil Survivor. Miyako is new to the arc and is so cute <3

x. Lord of Magna: Maiden Heaven ; Read that subtitle out loud. It's genius. If you add RPG elements to Wii Sports bowling, you'll get this game. Fun and simple adventure with a rounded cast. Trixie's confession scene is still my Miiverse banner picture <333

x. Rare Replay ; Didn't get to play the games I wanted to all that much. Just ran out of time. While I have no interest in the vast majority of the 8 and 16-bit games, I feel it'd be insulting to the developers to not add this in for the more modern 3D games.

x. Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai DX ; I just adore the music and chibi vocaloids.
The World is Mine
Reverse Rainbow
Piano x Forte x Scandal

x. Yoshi's Woolly World ; Enjoyed this almost as much as Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze which is one of the finest 2D platformers to release. I'll finish eventually.

x. Rise of the Tomb Raider ; Even I get in the mood for movie games too. Also serves as a nice murder simulator with an attractive female lead.

x. The Fruit of Grisaia ; The MC is funny with his dialogue. Nothing gets past him. Girls are all cute. Can't decide who is my favorite. JB's my favorite, but you can't sex her until the second game, so my favorite is either Yumiko or Michiru with Amane trailing behind.

x. The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky Second Chapter ; Everything is freaking amazing, but the battle system leaves much to be desired like its predecessor. So boring. Otherwise, Estelle is as adorable as ever, Schera the hottie, I just lose myself in the music, the story is engrossing with the emerging of a mysterious dark society and what with happened to old characters.

games 1
games 2
games 3

And to finish, RIP, Satoru Iwata. Held the fort down during some of my favorite gaming generations. Thank you.

megalowho

umvFiKn.png

1. Undertale ; Even knowing the elevator pitch going in - 6 hour bullet hell quirky indie RPG - Undertale has a way of disarming expectations and slowly getting under your skin. It's a comforting and at times unsettling experience, logging player behavior silently and incorporating it into the storytelling. The game has jokes and legit laugh out loud moments with an odd, dry take on the JRPG inner voice setting the tone. Even the most cartoonish characters carry relatable human motivations and the engaging combat system shines during the creative and challenging boss encounters. Eventually things unfold, climactic stuff happens and an ending plays out, with the promise of more to uncover if you're determined enough.

I devoured Undertale in two playthroughs over the course of a weekend and haven't gone back since after the game convinced me not to. Months later it still holds a prominent spot in my head, particularly the sprawling, cohesively excellent soundtrack. Eventually I looked up the scenes I'd missed out on, I'm not that strong, plus seeing it all provides context to fully appreciate how Toby Fox critiques the desire to see it all. As a singular work it's incredibly impressive, the way the game has caught on is endearing (if a little cloying), but on its own merits Undertale is the surprise and highlight of a strong year for me and a game well positioned to stand the test of time.

2. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; Stealth action masterpiece. Clockwork systems of minutiae and stupidity, influencing decision making on the fly and adding new wrinkles to each encounter. The feedback loop between fultoning recruits, researching upgrades and gaining new abilities is satisfying and useful, and everything from scouting to sneaking to shooting feels finely tuned. There's enough Metal Gear flavor to make The Phantom Pain audacious and weird in a number of ways but the focus is squarely on player freedom over filmmaking. Still plenty of opportunities for Kojima to subvert expectations with gleeful disregard for good taste, structural conventions and fan appeasement.

3. Bloodborne ; Evolves and refines the signature elements of the Souls series into something even more manic, cohesive and potent. Dodge and cleave your way through a memorable rogues gallery of beasts and villains while getting lost in interconnected, beautiful nightmare environments. The changes to combat gives the game its identity by promoting a faster, looser and more aggressive playstyle while keeping the guttural rewards of progression in the face of adversity fully intact. Some of Miyazaki's most striking imagery and intriguing lore to date.

4. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt ; Arguably the definitive Fantasy Open World Role Playing Video Game, delivering depth and breadth of content over multiple continents and dozens upon dozens of hours. An epic tale of Geralt solving quests and quarrels large and small, coming to terms with the women in his life and playing a lot of Gwent. Richly detailed landscapes sway with life while beards grow in real time. A world worth getting lost in. Also a big thumbs up for CD Projekt's post game support, with free DLC and meaningful improvements based on player feedback.

5. OlliOlli 2: Welcome to Olliwood ; Stylish 2D arcade skateboarding returns and improves upon its predecessor in nearly every way. There's a learning curve to the timing and execution but once the handling clicks it becomes a zen-like experience stringing together combos that last the length of a course. Different modes, difficult objectives and a daily challenge gives the game legs and the excellent licensed soundtrack works in tandem with clean, bright menus to bring a sleepy west coast glow to the overall package.

6. Life Is Strange ; Emotionally engaging teen drama and coming of age tale with a supernatural twist - not an easy task for the medium but one that works far more often than it doesn't. Characters are soulful and layered with imperfections and Max's newfound ability to rewind time is effectively used, both for gameplay and story purposes. Difficult moments are earned and the focus remains on Max's relationships and growth throughout.

7. Invisible, Inc. ; Procedural turn based stealth in a roguelike wrapper, like a highly compressed XCOM with less alien shooting and more corporate techno spy shit. Stylishly presented and thoughtfully designed, with dual layers of strategy as you manipulate the security defensives of each mission alongside multiple operatives on the ground, sneaking and stealing and upgrading gear. As forgiving or unforgiving as you want it, with a variety of options including turn rewinds and permanent progression across playthroughs.

8. Sunless Sea ; Navigate through strange waters with strange companions towards even stranger destinations across the unforgiving Unterzee. An atmospheric, tense and mysterious slow burn that sinks its teeth in with a punchy writing style, original setting and a wide array of dialogue checks, currencies and attributes to process. If lunching with the sisters of Hunter's Keep to gain the attention of the zee gods or smuggling red honey from the Isle of Cats back home to Fallen London sounds like a good way to make a living, Sunless Sea is a trip worth taking.

9. Technobabylon ; A cyberpunk detective adventure that makes for compelling, near future Sci-Fi. The framework is classic point and click with clever puzzles, dialogue trees, multiple perspectives and a few unique interface touches. Grounded by strong characters, strong world building and a sense of humor, the heady story touches on a variety of hypotheticals and concepts such as genetic engineering, partial mind states, wetware interfacing, neural network addiction and the development of a centralized, organic AI.

10. Splatoon ; I went from skeptical to sold after my first match of Splatoon. Novel, fast paced color wars with instinctual team strategy that impresses both mechanically and stylistically. Not many games go for the Japanese Nickelodeon Dreamcast aesthetic these days but Splatoon pulls it off, with an equally original soundtrack to match. I still think it all sounds weird on paper but considering the fun single player mode, the free updates and the still lively community it's the most enjoyable team based multiplayer game I've played in a good while.

Honorable Mentions
x. Fallout 4 ; It's more Fallout, but sometimes more Fallout can be pretty damn great.
x. Her Story ; Effective and understated FMV procedural that unfolds like a puzzle.
x. Super Mario Maker ; Creating Mario levels from scratch, uploading them to the internet and having people play them is pretty neat.
x. Until Dawn ; Campy, spooky David Cage style branching horror done right.
x. Xenoblade Chronicles X ; Huge alien frontier to explore. Scratches both the MMO and JRPG itch.
x. Downwell ; Deceptively simple, skillful shooter. Tight controls, satisfying player feedback.
x. Cities: Skylines ; Elegant city planner and traffic tinkerer.
x. Axiom Verge ; 2D action exploration you know and love with enough twists to forge its own identity.

Soundtracks of the Year 2015

oRA72yX.png

Z2VuA0q.png

6. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker ; I’ve never played a platformer with as much charm and wonderfulness than Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker when it came out in Europe at the start of the year. It should be of no surprise, really, but it still doesn’t take away how brilliant it is.

It’s insane how the game changes it up every so often, yet keeps you entice to keep going. Just when you think you have the game figured out, it throws a curveball at you down the line and makes you rethink how to approach it. There’s some excllent game design here.

But, and this seems to be a thing I’m saying so often now this time of year, it’s that Nintendo polish that really makes it stand out. So vivid and full of charm. Captain Toad is perhaps my favourite platfomer since Rayman Origins. It’s just wonderful and is easily worth checking out for Wii U owners.

didn't this come out in 2014

Timeaisis

Good year.

1. Splatoon
; No other game comes close to the joy Splatoon has brought me this year. It is the not only the most fun I've had all year, it also boasts the most refreshing and brilliant game design I've played in a long, long time. Blending and mechanics of old while synthesizing completely new ones, Splatoon plays like nothing else before it and stands assuredly on it's own as one of the most fantastic and unique multiplayer experiences I've ever had.
2. Bloodborne ; The most well-realized "Souls" game to date. Bloodborne is the perfect balance of challenge and fun, determination and frustration, world-building and minimalism, mystery and agency. No other game this year built a world I was so engrossed with and obsessed with succeeding in, no matter the cost. Couple the beautiful and arcane design with fun, challenging combat and sublime player progression, Bloodborne is a one-of-a-kind gaming experience filled with moments of exhilaration and awe.
3. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; The stealth game perfected. Controlling like no other third-person shooter before it, MGSV is the new standard for both stealth and action-adventure gameplay. With every aspect of the gameplay so well-designed and polished, the game is simply a joy to play, for hours and hours upon end. The story, while lacking the gravitas of the previous entries, is entertaining, but mildly disappointing. But the gameplay shines through oh so well.
4. Fallout 4 ; For all the problems with Fallout 4, Fallout 4 is a very fun game. I could write paragraphs upon paragraphs of the reasons why Fallout 4 isn't an incredible game: it lacks as many RPG elements as it's predecessors, it's quests aren't as memorable as before, the combat is more action and less strategy, the bugs are frustrating, and the graphics are nothing to write home about. But the fact remains that Fallout 4 is still an incredibly fun game to play and has an incredibly interesting world to explore. Bethesda, as usual, knows how to make a world that begs to be explored, and Fallout 4 almost never bores in this regard.
5. Rocket League ; A surprise hit. What can be said about Rocket League? Mechanically, it's simple, elegant and a hell of a lot of fun. Really, that's all you need to know.
6. The Witcher III: The Wild Hunt ; An excellent world crafted with gameplay that lacks. It saddens me that I did not find TW3 as mind-blowingly incredible as others, as it has almost everything a game would need for me to love it. However, it lacks the moment to moment joy I experienced from other games this year. Sure, in the long run, The Wild Hunt is an incredible experience if you give it the time of day. Unfortunately, the in-between is less than stellar.
7. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D ; A flawed Zelda but a excellent one nonetheless.
8. Super Mario Maker ; A creation game created like only Nintendo could.
9. Xenoblade Chronicles X ; XCX is simultaneously the most frustrating and addicting game I've played this year. It has an incredible amount of bad decisions that negatively effect the player all the time. A seeming barrage of bad ideas, missed opportunities, and poor guidance. But, underneath the frustration is a rewarding experience of exploring and alien landscape, understanding the vast and complex systems, and grasping the sheer magnitude of it all. Unfortunately, for XCX, the problems, for many, are too much to bear. But it sure is something.
10. Yoshi's Wooly World; Simple platforming fun with Yoshi. Beautiful, too.

x. Helldivers; Twin-stick top down co-op. Brings me back. Good fun.
x. Axiom Verge; A flawed Metroidvania with well-thought out level design and an intriguing story.
x. OlliOlli2; Skateboarding arcade-y fun.

Majmun

1. Bloodborne; Perfect gameplay, perfect art-design. A very memorable game. From Software has perfected the souls-experience with Bloodborne.
2. The Witcher 3
3. Dying Light
4. The Talos Principle
5. Until Dawn
6. Fallout 4
7. Batman: Arkham Knight
8. N++
9. Grow Home
10. SOMA

butman

2xlF0cl.jpg

1. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt ; The most impressive game i've played in years. Deep Characters, Great Story, Beautiful World, Top Notch Gameplay and Visuals.

nZOLJaL.jpg

2. Bloodborne ; A fast paced Soul game with the incredible combo melee/gun system. Gameplay, Visuals, Immersity and Patience are the ingredients for this twisted Bloodfest.

q4NBghB.jpg

3. Divinity Original Sin - Enhanced Edition ; 1. I always thinked that cRPGs was to complicated to start one and 2. they'are almost all on PC (i don't like playing on pc)But thanks to GAF and Sony i'm so glad that i could put my hands on this one. What a blast! It must be one of the best of his kind, because the game is amazing!

4. If I play some other game that deserves to belong to this list, I'll publish it.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
1. Bloodborne
2. Metal Gear Solid V
3. OlliOlli2
4. Rocket League
5. Not A Hero

Haven't played that many games this year, and I've only just recently upgraded from my Chromebook so I've missed out on Her Story, Undertale, The Beginner's Guide and Read Only Memories, which from what I see could easily slot into my top ten. Not A Hero features because I actually did loads of testing on the game and loved it. Fallout 4 I can't say I'm enjoying enough to feature. Same with Arkham Knight. I enjoyed it, but I forgot about it almost instantly.

1. Bloodborne ; A deeply rewarding horror-adventure that treats the story as a function of gameplay rather than a reward to be thrown at you.
2. Witcher 3 ; An incredible scale of high-quality mature storytelling unmatched in the industry.

"when it came out in Europe at the start of the year."

But it came out in America in 2014

Can I put Gravity Rush: Remastered as a 2015 game since it was released in China this year even though it came out on vita in 2012

1. Bloodborne ; I don't think I like this game as much as Dark Souls, but it was the reason I bought a PS4 and I don't regret that decision at all. In addition to being really fun to play (and replay), I think this might have the most captivating visuals and lore I've ever seen in a video game. It's one of those games that I just keep thinking about when I'm at work or something, trying to figure out why that monster was in that one place or how a sea slug connects to a werewolf. It makes my head shudder uncontrollably, but in a good way. Majestic!
2. Shovel Knight ; This came out on PS4 this year and I bought the physical release so I'm counting it. The music is great, the characters are great, the levels are great, the visuals are great, and the story is barely there but still manages to be emotionally affecting.
3. Undertale ; I actually still need to get around to finishing this game but I love how weird it is. The fact that it has a great story and good moment-to-moment gameplay is pretty impressive too.
4. Fallout 4 ; I enjoyed this game a lot and beat it three times with three different characters relatively shortly after release. I know a lot of people have issues with changes to the perk system and stuff, but I think a lot of them are for the better in terms of both gameplay and role-playing. I think if you had a more open story without the pre-war family and child stuff and brought back the old dialogue system this would be an amazing game.
5. Mortal Kombat X ; I loved the changes they made to improve upon MK9, particularly the variations system and the better female character designs. The balance patches eventually caused me to stop playing.
6. Batman: Arkham Knight ; I think I liked this a lot more than most people I know did, but I thought it was pretty enjoyable. Riddler challenges got old after a while but I like the combat system and enjoyed the Batmobile once I got the hang of it. This game has sort of been ruined for me since though because of the onslaught of DLC, and that horrible horrible "A Leap of Faith" trophy that made the platinum nearly impossible to get for half a year.
7. Axiom Verge ; I just saw people posting about this game in this thread and I just bought it but I've already been loving it. I love Metroid and SotN and this game is already reminding me of stuff like Shovel Knight and Bloodborne for gameplay and atmosphere respectively. Only complaint right now is that there doesn't seem to be any penalty at all to dying and it's a little too easy. But I mean I just started right, maybe it's the difficulty I'm on?

Honorable Mentions
x. Splatoon ; I like the idea behind this game and I enjoyed all of the miiverse posts at launch, but I quickly got bored of the multiplayer. I like the single player a bit more, but nothing about it is particularly special or memorable I don't think. I'll be interested in what Nintendo can do with a sequel, and to be fair I haven't played the game since its barebones launch.
x. Super Mario Maker ; This game is pretty fun and cool to mess around with but I got bored shortly after launch and haven't ever really seen a reason to go back.
x. Yoshi's Wooly World ; I love the way this game looks and sounds but I haven't been able to finish it yet.
x. The Witcher 3 ; I love how much CDPR seems to care about us, the letter to "gamers" (ick) in the box warmed my heart. Unfortunately the game itself is a chore to play through. Combat and movement is loose and sloppy, the visuals give me headaches due to the way the camera moves and framerate stutters, and I haven't been able to become interested in the story, world, or characters. I also feel kind of sick whenever I open the map and see how much stuff they want me to slog through. Although they initially made the text size a little bigger, I still associate this game with just nonstop frustration, headaches, and nausea. Not for me, but I appreciate the effort.

So basically, I think Bloodborne is pretty far and away better than every other 2015 release. Nintendo had a really rough year in almost every way, from games to advertising to management.

Interfectum

Hcw5uTt.png

1. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt ; Masterpiece.
2. SOMA ; Fantastic story, better than Bioshock.
3. Rocket League ; Multiplayer game of the forever.
4. Until Dawn ; Played it with my wife, great times.
5. Bloodborne ; So GAF doesn't kill me.
6. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; Weak story but amazing gameplay.
7. Star Wars Battlefront ; Shallow but my gawd the graphics. Helped hype me up for TFA too.
8. Cities: Skylines ; An indie dev did what Maxis couldn't.
9. Mortal Kombat X ; Not as good as MK9, IMO, but best fighter this year by far.
10. The Beginner's Guide ; As someone who makes games for a hobby, this resonated with me.

BerserkerX2

Neo Member
1. Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate ; The most fun I had playing with friends. Logged in about 300 hours and still play it once in a while.

2. Until Dawn ;

3. Dragon Quest Heroes ;

4. Destiny: The Taken King ;

5. Earth Defense Force 4.1: The Shadow of New Despair ;

6. Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster ;

7. Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward ;

8. Resident Evil HD Remaster ;

9. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ;

10. Fallout 4 ;

1. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt ; My first time playing a Witcher game and was immediately blown away. I loved the lore, the world, the characters, and the story. This is probably up there with my favorite game(s) of all time.
2. Everybody's Gone to the Rapture ; I normally don't like these type of games. Walking around with little to no actual gameplay doesn't sound appealing, but the setting and story of this game really drew me in.
3. Assassin's Creed Syndicate ; I really wanted this game to be good, especially after Unity. The AC games have a special place in my heart, and for the msot part I've enjoyed them casually. Syndicate was such an improvement in all aspects over Unity that I was surprised to find that I was eager to dive in and do more side quests and collectible hunting.
4. Fallout 4 ; Again, first time playing a Fallout game, but unlike the Witcher 3, this didn't draw me in immediately. I was put off by the empty wastes and the gameplay. After a few hours it really grew on me and I ended up putting more hours in it than anything else this year.
5. Ori and the Blind Forest ; Gorgeous game that was super fun as a platformer and puzzle game.
6. Bloodborne ; I wasn't big on Dark Souls, but Bloodborne appealed more to me since it was faster paced. I'm terrible at it, so I never finished it, but it was great while it lasted.
7. Yo-kai Watch ; This really surprised me. I got it as a gift and thought it was a hand me down pokemon. While the yokai aren't as interesting as pokemon, it was a charming game.
8. Shovel Knight ; Nostalgia trip that was entertaining to play. Don't think I'll go back to it, but I enjoyed it the first time through.
9. Destiny: The Taken King ; I enjoyed it as a Sci-fi shooter
10. Batman: Arkham Knight ; Enjoyed the gameplay except for the overabundance of the batmobile.

Looking at other answers, I've decided I really need to play Undertale and Life is Strange.

But it came out in America in 2014

Can I put Gravity Rush: Remastered as a 2015 game since it was released in China this year even though it came out on vita in 2012

Past GOTYs have allowed games released in one region one year that's later released in another (or others) the next year be part of a voter's GOTY list if said voter (ie me) got the game (Captain Toad) in the year it came out in the region (Europe - January 2, 2015 (also my birthday)) they live in.

fernoca

1. Yoshi's Woolly World ; Not only the closest to the SNES Yoshi's Island a Yoshi game has ever been, but one that brought many great memories and feelings since it reminded me of my mom (who did a lot of knitting and handcrafts) who passed away two years ago.

2. Splatoon ; A bit unique with a premise around teamwork more than kills.

3. Super Mario Maker ; Classic 2D Mario, with nearly infinite levels AND you can make your own.

4. Xenoblade Chronicles X ; Loved the vast, open world (how different each area looks too) and the fast battle system.

5. Guitar Hero Live ; A well needed breath of fresh air in the genre. The TV is great since you're playing while not only listening, but watching the videos. Is like watching (the original) MTV and grabbing a controller at any time.

6. Skylanders Superchargers ; Glad to see that they not only keep improving the game, making it more varied and fun.

7. Disney Infinity 3.0 ; After the letdowns that were the first two games, they finally fixed things. The actual games are well done and fun, and the Toybox allows for more control and creativity.

8. FAST Racing NEO ; A long awaited futuristic racer that may feel familiar, but plays a bit different. Quite stunning to look, the sense of speed is amazing and the music is great too.

9. Yo-Kai Watch ; A great mix of Pokémon and Shin Megami Tensei.

10. The Legend of Zelda Triforce Heroes ; Fun and quirky game. Gameplay around 3 players makes for interesting puzzles and hectic action

Honorable Mentions
x. Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon
; It was what I wanted, Gates to Infinity with every Pokémon.

x. Lego Dimensions
; Technically just another Lego game, but actually building the Legos adds a nice...dimension to it.

Talax

1. Metal Gear Solid V The Phantom Pain ; Kojima really outdid himself with the gameplay this time. Going pure stealth in every base and capturing the whole thing solo gives you that feel that just can't be replicated by any other game for me.
  2. Xenoblade Chronicles X
  3. Mortal Kombat X
  4. Final Fantasy Type-0 HD
  5. Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water
  6. Witcher 3
  7. Life Is Strange
  8. Rocket League
  9. Tales of Zestiria
  10. Atelier Ayesha Plus: The Alchemist of Dusk

1. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt ; One of the best games of all time. Excels in storytelling, writing, open-world design and characters.
2. Shadowrun: Hong Kong ; Dragonfall 2.0 with huge improvements in the quest design department.
3. Dying Light ; Surprise of the year. Great parkour gameplay combined with a tense day-night cycle makes a very fun game.
4. Underrail ; Released only a few days ago but I am already completely absorbed. Combat and exploration are amazing.
5. Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition ; The best game of 2014 but now even better. Tactician mode adds an extra layer of depth to the game and several quality-of-life improvements (including really great controller support) make the game even better.
6. Pillars of Eternity ; An RPG which does everything well but doesn't really excel in anything either. Still very enjoyable.
7. The Age of Decadence ; The Age of Decadence puts the role back in role-playing game. So many choices and builds are possible. Replayability is also very high.
8. Tales From The Borderlands ; A thoroughly enjoyable series by TellTale, great humour and characters.
9. Life Is Strange ; The game could have ended higher if not for the terrible finale. Great atmosphere and some tense moments make for a memorable game.
10. The Park ; The Secret World goes single-player. A very short game but one that deals with really disturbing themes and has some nice ties-in with the events from the MMORPG. Highly recommended for people who like atmospheric walking simulators.

There are only three games I can vote on right now, mainly because I didn't buy too many games that actually released this year. There are some others that I've bought, but just haven't gotten far enough into yet to give any real opinions on (Xenoblade X, Life is Strange, and FAST Racing Neo mainly, though there it's pretty likely that there will be a couple of others post-Christmas). If I get far enough into them before the voting period ends and I want to actually put them in my list, then I will.

1. Bloodborne ; Absolutely incredible action RPG. I was never a fan of the previous Souls games since they felt too reliant on hesitancy, but Bloodborne tends to favor a more aggressive style of combat, which makes encounters feel incredibly tense and thrilling. Also, FromSoft totally nailed the level design, setting, atmosphere, enemy design, and even the lore behind it all. All of this resulted in the game becoming the gold standard for action RPG's (at least in my eyes) and one that likely won't be topped for a while.

2. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D ; A remake of my favorite game of all time needed to be on this list somewhere. Grezzo and Nintendo did an amazing job with this remake, both in terms of visuals and redone gameplay mechanics. In particular, the reworked boss battles deserve special mention, since it turned two of the most boring bosses in the series into some of the better ones. Overall, a fantastic remake of a fantastic game.

3. Splatoon ; I never thought that this game would hook me as much as it did. It was content-bare at first, but the core gameplay is so well done that it doesn't really get old. The update schedule was also really well implemented, with something new to come back to almost every week. Nintendo really landed on a winning formula with Splatoon and I hope they continue on with it.

1. Grow Home ; A 3D platformer is already novel enough nowadays, and while this one is inspired by games, creators and ideas that coalesce into a game that's on occasion reminiscent of others you might've played (in a good way), ultimately it very much stands out as Ubisoft Reflections' own creation. A smartly designed game that feels born out of a genuine joy for making games. It feels fresh, fun, creative, satisfying, and like it deserves recognition for all the above.
  2. Life is Strange ; An unusual, compelling tale that possesses all of the heart.
  3. Tales from the Borderlands ; Charmingly garrulous.
  4. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; The stealth/action gameplay is a structural pillar so well done, the game balances perfectly fine on that one alone.
  5. Just Cause 3 ; The control and feel of the traversal options (and surprisingly detailed physics) is masterfully executed, real fun and satisfying, making for probably the most entertaining sandbox of the year.
  6. Dying Light ; Does a really good job at blending thoughtfully designed parkour and melee combat.
  7. Grand Theft Auto V ; Thanks to mods, probably the second most entertaining sandbox of the year.

A bunch of games out this year that I haven't played for one reason or another that would probably complete the list, but oh well.

Dami3N

1. Bloodborne ; This game consumed me
2. Until Dawn ; What a game! Me and the misses used some evenings with this game, a blanked and a good botlte of wine
3. The order 1886 ; Story, grafik and setting was over the moon.

1. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt ; Loved playing through this game, the world is so well realized. Combat is effective enough but the key here is the story, it is exceptional and a brilliant driving point. Some really interesting enemies too. The DLC released for this game has been a blast as well.
2. Fallout 4 ; So immersive, I loved exploring through the world and seeing what I could. It just lacks that Skyrim/New Vegas edge for me where I felt I could go on forever. The ending of the main quest also did not have the pay off that previous Fallout games had. Nonetheless a great game to dive into.
3. Metal Gear Solid 5 ; Brilliant gameplay but the stripped back story has frustrated me as they gated a lot of important exposition behind cassette tapes.
4. Wolfenstein: The Old Blood ; A straightforward FPS that has a great story, I wish more games were released like this with straighforward single player campaign and an interesting and well paced story.
5. Rocket league ; I love playing remote control car football.
6. Batman: Arkham Knight ; In terms of the main game it is a great end to the series. I loved the combat and exploring the world. The removal of challenge maps and putting a lot of things behind DLC has annoyed me though.
7. Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition ; Recently played through this, fantastic RPG. Great turn based combat system and an interesting story. You don't come to care about the characters like you do in Persona/Witcher/Mass Effect though.
8. Assassin's Creed: Syndicate ; My third assassin's creed game and the first one I have liked.[/B]
9. Until Dawn ; David Cage take note.
10. Resident Evil HD Remaster ; An improved classic.

8bit

Knows the Score
It's slightly tongue-in-cheek, but to be a little more genuine: I always really enjoyed the climbing and free-running in the early AC games (which has been all but removed in the more recent installments) and Grow Home really scratches that climbing itch.

Ahh, gotcha, wasn't sure if it was a mistake or not. I found the controls on Grow Home a bit fiddly but might go back to it now.

1. Rocket League ; From the beta to now playing daily with my son split screen, this game sums up why I game and what makes gaming so much fun.
2. Ori and the Blind Forest ; most beautiful game of 2015, with exhilarating gameplay, and a memorable story
3. Super Mario Maker ; Endless 2d Mario, a dream come true
4. Halo 5 ; It was fun ride minus the Forerunner boss repetition and the multiplayer is the best it's ever been
5. Destiny: The Taken King ; 2015 was the year of Destiny for me and the Taken King ended the year with a bang
6. Bloodborne ; Challenging, unique, and a breath of fresh air to the Souls experience
7. Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin ; 60fps makes a world of difference, just a great all around package.
8. Fallout 4 ; It's just fun to play a Bethesda open world game, although I admit it hasn't hooked me like Skyrim did
9. Witcher 3 ; Trying to get back into the game after a long hiatus as the whole world seems almost too overwhelming. Great RPG nonetheless
10. Just Cause 3 ; One word, Wingsuit

g6iKi3J.jpg

1. Undertale ; It has been almost a month since I played Undertale and it's still on my mind. It's the only game in recent memory that resonated with me on such an emotional level. I could go on and on about everything this game does right, from the writing to the soundtrack (both of which are wonderful). But, what made this game truly special was the characters. Even though the game only lasts a few hours, I feel like I've known these characters for years. I genuinely cared about them. So much so that I cannot play the genocide route of this game. I just can't. Altogether, this game earned its spot in my top 5 games of all time. I can't shake the feeling that it will be years before I feel this way about a game again.

fHGbuss.jpg

2. Bloodborne ; If I knew Hidetaka Miyazaki personally, I would assume this game was made as a love letter to me. It's a fusion of gothic style, virulent plagues, and the lovecraftian mythos, replete with body-horror and combat that bridges the gap between Dark Souls and Devil May Cry. This has some of the most enjoyable combat from any game I've played this year and it has a pretty good ost to boot, but its art direction is truly great.

ozy0iew.jpg

3. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt ; I have never played a game with better side-quests. Every single one feels original and interesting in its own right. They can be as complicated as tracking down a serial murderer in the streets of Novigrad or as simple as finding an old woman's cooking pan. There is great diversity in the amount of things the player is told to do. No matter their complexity, there is always a flair to their writing that make them memorable. This extends to most of the main quests as well. I would say that the story of the Bloody Baron is one of the most enjoyable self-contained questlines I've ever played through in an RPG.

JWu7m5C.jpg

4. Soma ; This game does something that many games don't even attempt. It made me ponder existentialist questions. The questions faced by the characters in Soma can be summed up in a single word: fascinating. Sure, the Amnesia formula gameplay has gotten a little stale. But, the writing is on point and the setting is refreshing.

JhSGTNI.jpg

5. Resident Evil: Revelations 2 ; I can't say too much about this game without it devolving into Resident Evil 6 criticism. I know nobody wants to read that, but it's at the heart of how I feel about this game. To me, it's just RE6 done well. The co-op gameplay actually feels necessary for once as the players have to co-operate more than shooting at the same thing and pairing up to open special loading doors. The characters and story are actually handled pretty well for a Resident Evil game. I'd actually like to see some of them come back for the next one. It also goes as far as to reference the campy writing of the first game. There's a kind of integrity in that that I can't help but like. All-in-all, this game marks the first time since 2012 that I don't feel stupid for caring about this franchise.

pdNsnyU.jpg

6. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; The gameplay is probably the best of any stealth game I've played. Easily enough to warrant it a spot on my list. The story's quality is a little patchy. It has its moments of brilliance, but they're strung along a somewhat dull plot that was left completely unfinished. The fact that you have to get a lot of your story through cassette tapes was also tedious. Around midway through the game I stopped listening to most of them. Nevermind the fact that, with every patch, the game's invasive online elements become more distasteful and intrusive. But that gameplay is still pretty good.

IS8VsLi.jpg

7. Fallout 4 ; I definitely enjoyed the basic gameplay of Fallout 4. The shooting felt good, exploring the wasteland was interesting, and, due to the crafting system, scavenging was pretty enjoyable too. The story wasn't amazing, but it was sparsely peppered with good npcs and interesting scenes. Far and away the biggest flaw I can point out is the lack of player control. No matter what you do, your choices don't really amount to much. Regardless of what you do, the only important choice that the player is allowed to make is which faction they want to join. The dialogue was meaningless and the quests were bland. But, I enjoyed it nonetheless.

cvZnDFs.jpg

8. Rocket League ; This game is fun. That's it. Really. It is a game reduced to its basic concept and completely trimmed of fat. You drive the car, hit the ball, (attempt to) score points, and you have fun. It's no mystery why this game blew up like it did.

5cMbtev.jpg

9. Ori and the Blind Forest ; A game which is, at its core, fun to play. Movement has never been as enjoyable for me. In fact, I'd say "bash" is probably my favorite mobility option of any platformer. The art is beautiful and the soundtrack is serviceable. It' is by no means an amazing experience, but if you're looking for a 2D-platformer, I'd recommend it.

uE5fX9H.jpg

10. Nuclear Throne ; I'm starting to feel like I have some kind of sick addiction to rogue-like games. I bought this game on a whim and now I can't stop playing it. I've suffered some unfair deaths, but in a game where restarting takes so little time, I've started a new run before I've had time to complain.

CrisKre

The top 3 this year have given me a lot of difficulty as to deciding which game would go where, since they all provided me with dozens of hours of uninterupted fun. Anyways, here goes it:

1. Splatoon ; This is Numero Uno for the simple reason I feel is the best designed new IP in the last five years. The design and execution of this game is so elegant, so impeccable, it results in a game you FEEL should have been in the market for years, since it feels so natural and fun. The best multiplayer experience of the year hands down, and a direction I hope Nintendo goes deeper into when it comes to IP creation moving forward.

2. Xenoblade Chronicles X ; Im going to go deep into my reasoning for this: XCX is to the Xeno series what Majoras Mask is to Ocarina Of time. A game that at first glance bewilders and confuses its players, but that with some player investment becomes a whole so thought out, so intricate and intimate, that it trancends the norms of its respective genere.
here is a game that throws all gaming conventions of the last 5 to 10 yesras out the window. A game that doesn´t hold player´s hands in the slightest. A game that above all else rewards exploration and player initiative, all within the confines of its premise: you are humanities last remnants, stranded in an alien planet, fighting for survival. It comes as no surprise, then, that the player is initially at a loss as to how it all works. Exporing is of VITAL IMPORT here, as it should. Peril abounds. The surprising thing is how Monolith Soft managed to balance this, and soon, you start to feel more powerful and confident, understand the intricacies of this new planet and society, and become more and more attuned to the many wonders Mira offers. Its been a long long time since I felt so invested in a gaming world and felt a part of a bigger whole in an RPG. I predict that, just like Majoraá Mask, players will look very very fondly on this masterclass of an RPG with a unique approach down the line.

3. Super Mario Maker ; I never thought designing courses could be this fun! This is another impeccably designed Nintendo game.

4. Bloodborne ; Another tight and beautiful Form Software entry. Felt a bit too familiar to be higher up for me, but this is quality through and trough.

5. Yoshi´s Wolly World ; Best Yoshi game since Island, and simply a joy from beginning to end. Also, it feeling a bit to familiar prevented it from being higher up, but is still a masterclass on 2d platforming and so so beautiful.

6. Tearaway Unfolded ; This PS4 reimagening its not without its problems in its transition, but at its core it remains a beautiful imaginative adventure.

1. Bloodborne ; there's no place like yharnam.
2. Fallout 4 ; more laughs than all other 2015 games combined.
3. Metal Gear Solid v: Phantom Pain ; god-tier gameplay, god-awful script.
4. Mad Max ; sleeper of the year. crazy fun.
5. Until Dawn ; clever, well-written, & never dull.
6. Life Is Strange ; not always consistent, but very good when good.
7. Yakuza 5 ; played it a couple years back via guide. even better playing without one.
8. Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition ; obvious labor of love. gorgeous, challenging nostalgia.
9. Tales From The Borderlands ; wild'n'wacky. as high-quality a rip-roaring yarn as any.
10. Criminal Girls ; hey, what can i say - i enjoyed it...

& that's all, folks :) ...

AmFreak

1. Life is Strange ; I have been playing games since the c64, but no game ever had such an emotional impact on me. The experience was different than anything i experienced before while playing a video game. That makes it something special and that is the reason why Life is Strange is my game of the year.

tumblr_nndmnofeta1r7bc29o1_500.gif

1. Bloodborne ; truly a masterclass in video game making. I did not think it would be possible for Miyazaki and his team to create a classic like Demons Souls again, with its oppressive yet strangely charming atmosphere, tight gameplay systems and a story that one not only unravels as you progress but experiences through gameplay, but I was wrong. Bloodborne is a true successor to the Souls series and even exceeds the prequels in some areas. This is the best game of this generation so far and without a doubt will be one of my favourite games of all time.

The gameplay system is innovative and intricate while also being familiarly tight. The regain system is truly one of the best innovations in the series. Its a system that encourages aggressiveness at its heart and is brilliantly used to replace the lack of shield defenses. Miyazaki describes the mechanic as a way to regain one's hope midst a battle that could end in despair and it really is like that mentally. Whereas in previous games getting hit by an attack that takes 90% of one's health results in running away to heal, in Bloodborne, I felt anger and the need to attack to get back. The regain opportunity truly did represent hope in battling and the culmination of this mechanic is when you face the final boss whose blast attack leaves you with 1HP and who could disable the use of vials and yet the tactic here was to charge at the boss. I loved the speed of the combat and its emphasis on offensive play. Trick weapons, though fewer in number, provide an insane amount of moves and combos, and the satisfaction of performing these slick transformations tactically is unparalleled in the series.

The presentation of this game is simply unmatched. There is a clear inspiration from Lovecraft and the aspect of cosmic horror and the game expresses this in the best way possible. I absolutely loved how they introduced the revelation of a cosmic existence, quite late in the game, from the initial traditional plague scenario that everyone expected. Its just a brilliant escalation from there as you uncover the dark secrets and the truth behind this nightmare. Enemy designs and notable names are all tied to lore for reasons that are apparent only retrospectively. The revelation is a true revelation and changes your perspective on the situation entirely.

Level design is top of the class. Forbidden forest truly feels like a dense forest where one could get easily lost, and witnessing the sheer height of your descent through this field to the forest basin was crazy. Central Yharnam stands as one of the best first areas I have played in a video game, with all the different paths available to a player alluded by a misleadingly complex level design. Cainhurst castle, Nightmare of Mensis, and Nightmare Frontier also are outstanding levels. Bloodborne has some of the most eerily creative enemy designs in gaming. The designs are grotesque, creepy, puzzling and even mesmerising and at times a combination of all of these. The art team really need to be applauded here. Excellence is not just an aesthetic property either, with the scores of enemies having fitting and varied move sets to master. Thats is one of the best things about this series. The battles can result in some unbelievably tense situations and battle sequences that may look scripted and yet are entirely dynamic and executed by the player. The pinnacle of this in my experience has been with the encounters against the dozen or so hunters in the game. That fight with the Bloodied Cainhurst Crow was a thing of beauty: chikage vs chikage, timing and weaving perfectly as one bloodied slash could end it all while simultaneously attacking and the speed that all of this happens in is above anything I have encountered in Souls.

I would also like to say that the First Hunter fight has to be the greatest boss fight in FROM history. The music, location design, lore implication, and the fight itself are satisfying on so many levels and the crazy thing is that there's a fight in the DLC that could surpass this! Bloodborne is one of those games that will be remembered throughout the generation and perhaps generations to come.

2. Rocket League
3. Resident Evil Revelations 2
4. Final Fantasy Type-0 HD
5. Resident Evil HD Remaster

bltn

1. Bloodborne ; Second best souls-game. Says a lot.
2. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt ; Love to get lost in the world.

gelf

1. Bloodborne ; I say the same about all From's efforts but their games go in the direction I used to dream games would go in back in the early polygon game era. Intricate level design thats neither entirely linear or open world but the sweet spot between them, epic boss encounters and an beautiful art direction.

2. Yakuza 5 ; Next installment in a series I love. Simple but fun combat, a rash of mini games that are actually fun to play, some hilarious moments "Everybody say rouge of Looove". Also it contains Virtua Fighter 2, one of the best fighters of all time so it has to be high on the list.

3. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; It has some niggles, boss battles are poor compared to the best in the series and the story goes wrong before the end but they do little to detract how much fun I had using the games systems.

4. Contradiction - Spot The Liar! ; Biggest surprise of the year, I'd never have thought I'd be enjoying an FMV game in 2015 let alone putting it this high in my list. Rock on Jenks \m/

5. Resident Evil HD Remaster ; Its one of my favorite games of all time and the remaster despite some wonky backgrounds in places is now the definite version. Especially when you mod in the original soundtrack on the PC version.

6. Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin ;

7. Pro Evolution Soccer 2016 ; It had its problems but since I don't really worry too much about data updates or last gen graphics(played the PC version), all I was concerned about is how it plays and it was the most fun I've had with Pro Evo since PES6.

8. Guilty Gear Xrd ;

9. Undertale ;

10. Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty! ;

May edit later if I've forgotten something that came out this year or if I get a chance to play more.

it seems like a lot of people love xenoblade x as much as me.

My Top Games:

1. Xenoblade Chronicles X
2. Transformers Devastation
3. Bloodborne
4. Metal Geat Solid V
5. Batman Arkham Knight

1. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt ; This is my game of the year, as it had it all. Fun gameplay, amazing story, great visuals, great sound and a huge amount of content. It's just an amazing feat that no other company could overtake.

2. Halo 5: Guardians ; I love me some Halo, and Halo 5 is just incredible. I love the new features in multiplayer and the story arch that continued fro Halo 4. 343i in my opinion is doing an incredible job with Halo.

3. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; I wanted to list this game higher on my list, but I just couldn't, due to the padding out of the second half of the game with repetitive mission design, and not to mention doing the same missions over. That said, this is probably the best gameplay game of the year. But there is more to a game than just the gameplay. Especially when talking about Metal Gear Solid.

4. Super Mario Maker ; What's there to say? The game is great at easily letting us all make great Mario levels. Hell, my 6 year old makes challenging Mario levels. This game is great to bond over with with friends. It's an instant classic. I also can't wait to see what my daughter makes next!

5. Fallout 4 ; I loved me some Fallout 3 and I am loving me some Fallout 4. Great amount of content, nice visuals, cool settlement building, great weapon modding and overall, just fun game to play.

6. Xenoblade Chronicles X ; While I haven't put enough time in yet (40 hours so far), this game may end being my 2016, 2015 Game of the Year. It's amazing to look at, the amount of content is nuts, the combat is more engaging and the limiltless amount of things to do and how to do them is overwhelming. I wish I had more time to play this game.

Gozan

1. Splatoon ; And I thought was done with online multiplayer games. Done forever.
2. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt
3. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D ; Actually the first time I played it, too.
4. Sunless Sea ; Forgot this. Sorry Konami. And, again, up yours.
5. Grim Fandango Remastered ; What, I can finally vote for this?
6. Xenoblade Chronicles X
7. Chaos Reborn ; Early access is really messing with my feel for release dates
8. Invisible, Inc.
9. Undertale
10. Prison Architect ; Because I can't vote for Dwarf Fortress yet.

x. Pillars of Eternity ; dropped out of the top 10 to make room for more Gollop in my life
x. Metal Gear Solid V ; Up yours, Konami
x. Just Cause 3 ; I liked this. Just not enough to allow it points.

1. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D; A remake of my favorite game ever. It may seem lame to put a remake on the top of my list, but it's the best time I had playing video games this year, so it gets my number one spot. If anything, it's a showcase of how Grezzo is masterful at remakes, touching up what needs to be touched up while keeping most other things intact.
2. The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth ; I know Afterbirth came out this year, but I picked up Rebirth on the Wii U and being able to play it on the gamepad is marvelous. It's incredibly easy to sink hours into this game, especially when you can just lounge on the couch and play it all night long.
3. Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate ; My first MonHun game. A showcase of how you can do Skinner Boxes right. It's cycle of kill monster -> upgrade gear -> kill harder monsters is incredibly addictive, but never feels like you're being taken advantage of. The monster design/animation is also top notch as well. It's quite impressive how well this game looks and runs for being on the 3DS.
4. Freedom Planet ; The Sonic game we've wanted for decades. That's all there is to it.
5. Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows ; While not as great as the original Shovel Knight, Yacht Club's ability to use the same levels with completely different game mechanics is pretty amazing. The silly story of a man longing for love when it's right in his face fit in with Plague Knight's character perfectly as well.
6. Halo 5: Guardians ; It's certainly not as great as Bungie's Halo games, but 343 is definitely capable of building a very fun shooter. If only the enemies didn't move at 30 fps. Such an eyesore...
7. Super Mario Maker ; I thought I would love this game, but I grew bored of it very quickly. Player creation just isn't my thing I suppose. However, I think the game deserves a spot on my list because of how successful it is for people who love level creation. While most levels are complete doodoo, the great ones often feel like strokes of genius. If they can continue to support it for another year, I can see some special things come out of this game.

And that's it for me. Quite a small, heavily Nintendo-focused list. I was stuck in a hospital for much of the year, so I mostly played Wii U and 3DS this year. Too bad Nintendo had one of it's worst years ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom