• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year 2015 - Voting Thread [LAST DAY FOR VOTING]

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazyHal

1. Bloodborne ; Best action rpg since Dark souls 1. The mix of lovecraftian horror and gothic aesthetic makes for a unique and disturbing journey.

2. Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate ; Best monster hunter ever made period. It takes everything good about the previous games and polish them to a mirror sheen and even had a couple of awesome new mechanics to boot.

3. Undertale ; One of the best and most unique rpg i ever played. The way it plays with the player expectations and breaks the fourth wall is unlike anything i have seen before and it's all back up by top notch writting and an extremely likable cast of fantastic characters.

4.Spaltoon ; Best multiplayer shooter in years. Nintendo took an over saturated genre and brought new life into it with colorful visuals and unique game mechanics. Also the music is pretty good.

Khronico

1. Steins;Gate ; I went into this nearly completely blind aside from knowing some very basic plot elements. From minute one I was riveted to my vita, and over the course of 2 days I powered through all the endings. Aside from the overarching plot which I found incredibly interesting, Steins;Gate is one of the few games that managed to create a cast of characters that felt 'human'. Over the course of the game each character is fleshed out to such degree that I developed an attachment to the cast that I rarely feel in games. Steins;Gate, out of all the games released in 2015, is one that I think I will look back on most fondest.

2. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt ; CDProjekt RED nails their first foray into open world RPGs. Tactically interesting combat, an epic storyline filled with a colorful menagerie of characters, fantastic worldbuilding, gorgeous visuals. Witcher 3 is a tour-de-force in every single way and one of the best RPG's of the last decade.

3. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; The best playing metal gear solid game and quite possibly one of the best playing third person action games of all time. Yes, I even liked the story.

4. Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number ; Hotline Miami returned for a sequel, and it was glorious. A cavalcade of ultraviolence, psychadelic visuals, and pumping hot jams.

5. Pillars of Eternity ; Obsidian does it again. I didn't much care for the combat but the incredibly detailed building, well realized characters, intricate and impactful conversation mechanics, and all around masterclass writing where more than enough to keep me engaged all the way to the end. P.S. Durance for character of the year.

Locust

1. Resident Evil HD Remaster ; Still superb all these years later.
2. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; Had tons of fun with this one, too bad about the story / second chapter.
3. Mortal Kombat X ; The only fighting game series I can get into.
4. Life is Strange ; -
5. Grand Theft Auto V ; -
6. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege ; -
7. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt ; Could be higher but I didn't have time to finish it.
8. Resident Evil: Revelations 2 ; -
9. Call of Duty: Black Ops III ; Multiplayer only, the campaign is awful.
10. Dying Light ; -

x. Transformers: Devastation ; -
x. Wolfenstein: The Old Blood ; -
x. Rocket League ; -
x. Cities: Skylines ; -

NMFried

1. Batman: Arkham Knight ; While it was a rough start for PC players, I was able to snag this game for $15 with the season pass on Black Friday. I wasn't really a fan of the first two Arkham games but have since read all of New 52 Batman and was utterly immersed in this game from start to finish. There are so many easter eggs and callbacks, and the gameplay itself is fluid and fun, a departure from the repetitiveness of the other games in the series. I would have liked a little less Batmobile, but it was no less badass each time I took it for a spin.

2. Tales From the Borderlands ; After finishing The Walking Dead Season One a few years back, I was part of the crowd that thought that it would be impossible for Telltale to recreate the magic. Season Two was alright, Game of Thrones was campy and Minecraft Story Mode felt a tad bit weak. But after playing through Tales of the Borderlands, I am desperately craving more narrative from this world. The main games are great, don't get me wrong, but there is something more than special here.

3. Fallout 4 ; This game had a lot, and I mean a lot to live up to. Fallout 3 and it's DLC was hours upon hours of nearly perfect adventure, followed up by Skyrim which again, was spectacular. But Fallout 4 did what it needed to do and it did it well, and my review of the game reflected that.

4. Jackbox Party Pack 2 ; This was the hidden gem of the year, surprising me in almost every possible way. If there was a way to vote for the first pack as well I would, because the tech in this thing is so simple but so perfect. I had a party of nearly 60+ playing one game and all they needed was their phone. Plus, Fibbage and Quiplash are just insane and hilarious every single time.

5. Rocket League ; If this is the future of video game sports then I am totally in. Rocket League is everything a game should be. It's fun, affordable, content-packed and so damn competitive. Plus, it had couch co-op!

6. Guitar Hero Live ; A nigh perfect reboot of the tired plastic instrument genre. Sure, Rock Band 4 is great for what it is, but Live made sure to teach you something new. And putting the DJ Hero team on it was the perfect idea, since that series kept me coming back and you can bet I'm in it for Live 2 (though I hope they just keep updating this platform.)

7. Splatoon
; Though it's been a while since I've jumped into a game, Splatoon did what no one though was possible: have Nintendo throw a genre on its head and actually succeed at it. From the Splatoon live tournament at E3 to the ability to test weapons before you buy them and just all of the wonderful sound effects, Splatoon was all-around great.

8. Assassin’s Creed Syndicate ; This game was a much-needed return to form for the AC franchise. I played and loved 1 and 2, and played and hated 3. I skipped BF and Unity, but Syndicate brought me back with it's killer combat, enthralling historical narrative and the fact that it's just plain fun. But please, Ubisoft, NO SEQUEL. Just give us a new AC with new characters and let Evie and Jacob live their lives in peace. Not everyone is Ezio.

9. Super Mario Maker ; Well yeah, of course this game is on here. With it's near endless stream of content, creative amiibo support and well, the fact that it's just a blessing that it exists, Super Mario Makes might be one of the only games on this list that will remain timeless. Now gimme that Yoshi's Island DLC [for free.]

10. The Order: 1886
; Probably the most polarized choice on this list, since you either loved it or hated it. Sure, The Order was flawed, but it looks wonderful, the story was engaging, the setting was beautiful and that's really all I can ask for. It was this year's Bulletstorm in regards to a solid game with a cliffhanger. Let's just hope we get a sequel.

x. Destiny: The Taken King ; A crazy amount of content for a more than alright asking price.
x. Pokemon Picross ; Literally the perfect blend of games.
x. Skylanders: Superchargers ; This was my first foray into this series since I had to review it for the publication I work for, but I was pleasantly surprised. This is the modern state of platforming, and it's here to stay.
x. Star Wars Battlefront ; A great game, but it sorely lacked in content. Unfortunate too, since the tone is perfect.
x. Guns Up! ; A free-to-play game? Yikes! But man, this is addicting. It's Clash of Clans for the console crowd.

it seems like a lot of people love xenoblade x as much as me.

My Top Games:

1. Xenoblade Chronicles X
2. Transformers Devastation
3. Bloodborne
4. Metal Geat Solid V
5. Batman Arkham Knight

As a voter for TF myself, make sure to add at least one comment separated by a semicolon.

1. Bloodborne

2. Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate

3. Splatoon

Same here.

1. Bloodborne
2. Metal Gear Solid V
3. OlliOlli2
4. Rocket League
5. Not A Hero

Haven't played that many games this year, and I've only just recently upgraded from my Chromebook so I've missed out on Her Story, Undertale, The Beginner's Guide and Read Only Memories, which from what I see could easily slot into my top ten. Not A Hero features because I actually did loads of testing on the game and loved it. Fallout 4 I can't say I'm enjoying enough to feature. Same with Arkham Knight. I enjoyed it, but I forgot about it almost instantly.

Read that OP, folks.

1. Rocket League ; Rocket League has simply the best "feel" to any game I have played this year. It's seeing that ball careening off the side wall towards the goal, getting up the speed with your boost, and then hitting it at just the right time to put it in the upper corner. There is simply no game where I had as much fun this year than Rocket League.
2. Life is Strange ;
3. Batman: Arkham Knight ;
4. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ;
5. The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky Second Chapter ;
6. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt ;
7. Tales From The Borderlands ;
8. Super Mario Maker ;
9. Mortal Kombat X ;
10. Splatoon ;

andytjm

Neo Member
1. Super Mario Maker ; This game made me realise how much I love being creative. There is nothing more fun than thinking of an idea, developing it and seeing people from all over the world play and enjoy it.

2. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker ; This is one of the best 3D platformers I have ever played. It has such a simple idea but is executed so wonderfully.

3. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D ; I am a huge Zelda fan but regretfully never played Majora's Mask so I was pleased to finally have the chance to play it. It certainly lived up to my expectations. It may be light on dungeons but the side quests more than make up for it.

4. Splatoon ; Such an original idea. Fun and addictive. Played it last night and it is as fun as ever.

5. Borderlands: The Handsome Collection ; Insanely good value for money. Borderlands 2 is such a fun game. Still need to play TPS.

6. Xenoblade Chronicles 3D ; Exploring this huge world was a treat. I really enjoyed the story and the game features many characters that you care for.

7. Rocket League ; I am so glad we got this for free otherwise I would have overlooked it.

8. Yoshi's Woolly World ; One of my favourite 2D platformers in recent years.

9. Resident Evil: Revelations 2 ; The first was great and this was too.

10. The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes ; I wasn't expecting this game to be as fun as it was. The dungeon design is fantastic and the multiplayer element surprisingly works. The only frustration was the occasional lag.

Stike

My Games of the Year
1. Bloodborne ; Special Achievement: Best Gameplay
2. Life Is Strange ; Special Achievement: Best Story and Characters
3. Rocket League ; Special Achievement: Best Multiplayer
4. Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture ; Special Achievement: Best Soundtrack, Environments Artistic Achievement
5. Until Dawn ; Special Achievement: Best Consequences of Player Decisions

Honorable Mentions
x. The Order: 1886 ; Special Achievement: Graphics

1. Star Wars Battlefront ; This may be shocking to anyone not looking at what my avatar represents.
2. Rocket League ; Some of the most fun I've ever had playing video games.
3. Everybody's Gone to the Rapture ; Great story, great graphics, great atmosphere, great music.
4. Destiny: The Taken King ; This is not the Destiny that originally shipped... which is a good thing.
5. Batman: Arkham Knight ; Great game, but too much Batmobile hurt its position in my list.
6. Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection ; I've only played through the first game or else this might have charted higher.
7. Until Dawn ; While I never actually played this game, I watched the entire Gametrailers PJ party play through and it was a good time. That game shocked me at how good it was.

rakhir

1. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt ; The new best game of the forever for me, and the new benchmark for RPGs.
2. Pillars of Eternity ; Really good throwback to the old times of infinity edge games. Obsidian di exactly what I wanted from the kickstarter.
3. Assassin's Creed Syndicate ; This game managed to do what most non-Ezio AC didn't: it actually made me like and care the main characters. The grappling hook is a good addition and helps tremendously with bypassing the boring parts of running on top af the city.
4. Cities: Skylines ; It wasn't that hard to make a great SimCity game, Maxis.
5. Life is Strange ; This is kind of a cheat, because I didn't actually played the game, but i've watched a lot of it before stopping and just buying the game.
6. Fallout 4 ; The game main story goes off the tracks in the third act into stupidville, but the improvements in combat, and the addition of crafting, made the game really addictive.
7. Star Wars Battlefront ; I'm not a fan of shooters, yet I've been enchanted by the Star Wars magic. It's simple to make people like me not feel bad playing it.
8. Heroes of the Storm ; It's a great addition to the MOBA landscape. If not for League of Legends this would be my go-to time waster.
9. Grand Theft Auto V ; It's finally on PC and i finally have a PC to play it on!

Honorable mention:
x. Super Mario Maker ; I've wasted so many hours watching people play it on Youtube...

Wall of Shame ("I Have This Game In My Library And It Would Probably Be On The List" award)
x. Tales From The Borderlands ;
x. Ori and the Blind Forest ;
x. Her Story ;

"Why Are You Still Doing This" award
World of Warcraft: new patch harbor something whatever
all of your friends are gone and you are still maxing everything that can be done solo and quitting

I'm surprised at how much love Xenoblade is getting. I wonder if it'll make top 10?

Also, it seems like the amount of people who don't follow the rules increases every year. What's up with that?

2015 was a solid year, one of those ones where my top few games could slot in around whatever order takes my fancy at the time, so while it's not quite a case of runaway winners like the 2014 God King Combo of DKC Tropical Freeze and Bayonetta 2 it had plenty to offer.

Gonna pull the Dark Schala™ as detailed in the opening post, doubling it up.
Correct formatting at the end of the second post and all that before someone leaps at me on that front, though if I bugger it up there by all means correct me.

TEN. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt

8jGTs98.jpg

What a mission it was just trying to get into this game, for me Witcher 3 presents both the very best and worst of open world design. A wonderfully crafted world dense with discovery and things to do while also overbearing and filled with so many marks on the map I’ll get choice paralysis just looking at it.
Between the deluge of information and systems to take in alongside the wonky movement and seemingly cumbersome combat my early hours with Geralt were not exactly pleasant, having tried (and failed) to get into Witcher 2 earlier in the year I was prepared for such things yet it took me a few months of on and off gameplay to get into the groove.

At this moment in time I’ve still not finished the thing, the vast scope of the game goes way beyond what I expected offering hours of questing. While I’m not a believer of the bigger is better style of design I have to give props to CDPR for what they’ve pulled off here, the world they’ve created is one of the most authentic living and breathing environments I’ve seen, even if it’s a world populated with all manner of junk in every bag/drawer/chest/corpse, does anyone bother paying for alcohol here? because I could start an off license with what I’ve found scattered about.

Let me focus on what works for me here, the countryside goodness. The swampy bogs of Velen are unusually beautiful in their dreary state, the wind howls through the well-worn trees causing them to shudder and creak as the rain hammers down into the marshland. You know that warm fuzzy feeling when its raining outside and you’re sheltered from it just listening to the gusts and downpour? Witcher 3 can recreate this feeling for me through its audiovisuals and its magnificent.
Not long after I arrived in the bustling city of Novigrad to progress the main story I found myself longing for the wild once more, my enjoyment was genuinely decreasing on account of my real life dislike for crowded cities and love for the rural outdoors, it that isn’t immersive I don’t know what is.

While the main story has had its moments so far (Bloody Baron was bloody good) I’ve found greater enjoyment in seeing the world itself, perhaps not surprising considering my limited knowledge of series lore and all but that’s also a testament to how well the side content can hold this game up. Even if I never find Ciri’s whearabouts myself I’ll have had plenty of enjoyment travelling and hunting down all manner of monsters.
And you know what? For all the flak the combat gets (and even I initially gave) it’s actually quite functional, of course the jack of all trades tradition of the genre strikes again here, yet the important thing is the open world aspects unique to the genre itself are at a mighty high so it still sneaks onto my list.
And now I’ve got Skellige to explore, I’m overwhelmed.

NINE. Super Time Force: Ultra

0cr0UNS.jpg

This game earns its place on concept alone, sure we’ve had many a game tackle time travelling elements, I think there was one with an Ocarina or something. STFU (unfortunate acronym) however opens up the playful and abusive side of time manipulation where flinging yourself into suicidal situations somehow becomes part of the fun. Each stage is running on a timer and your ability to draw from a diverse pool of characters and flood the screen with them gradually joining forces as you bounce back in time to add to your firepower is nearly a necessity to reach the goal within the limit.

While on a surface level it’s an action focused title the real fun here is in its more puzzle like elements, for instance a type of collectable bursts forth from a defeated enemy and shoots off into the distance where it smashes upon the floor, okay so with that in mind you can hop back and grab another character whose entire purpose is to sprint to the impact point before that happens. Exploring diverging pathways simultaneously, saving your own botched attempts and generally thinning out the enemy clusterfuck with your own ridiculous bullet spread is how you can use time to your advantage here.

The secret best part of this package are the challenge rooms which really place emphasis on using each characters unique attributes and your ability to manage them all with limited rewinds, it’s incredibly addictive. Sure sometimes the game’s humour takes a disappointing turn for the memetic (though damn do I love how obvious its villain twist is, that’s like a joke in itself) and bosses often amount to a similar “spam rewind to win” formula but STFU is worth your TIME.
It’s also surely the best option for a game to play as Sir Galahad in this year.

EIGHT. Undertale

6XrJfva.jpg

I had no idea this game even existed, suddenly Sans, Sans everywhere, the vertically challenged skeleton winking his way through an unprecedented amount of GAF avatars piqued my curiosity to see what all the fuss was about.
Considering the cult classic status that surrounds Earthbound it’s actually a bit surprising to me that there aren’t more offbeat tone RPG games out there. Of course nailing that oh so important eccentric humour isn’t as easy as it may seem, one slight misstep and you end up in the realm of randomness for the sake of it or just falling flat.
I can happily say though that Undertale is a game that for the most part nails it, it plays with its medium, it toys with expectations and on the whole it elicited quite a number of genuine chuckles from me.

Rare is it I get to say that an RPG game uses brevity to its advantage but here we are, this is one of the more focused RPG games I’ve played that doesn’t bog itself down. Granted this also means that I found the scale of what could be called its true ending almost overwrought in an oddly humorous way, perhaps that’s why the genre typically favours at least 25 hours at a minimum but I digress.
Point is the game doesn’t overstay its welcome, mechanically its clever enough yet basic so the act of fighting (or perhaps more accurately not fighting) doesn’t wear as thin as it could end up doing.
In my mind this is definitely more about the story and the characters than anything else, it’s like a concoction made up from a visual novel/adventure game, a sprinkle of SHMUPs and uses the RPG trappings to bring the whole thing together.

While I’m not about to change my avatar to Sans myself (plus I’d go with Papyrus, NYEH HEH HEH) it was a game well worth checking out, I’m not as overly keen as some other folks around these parts but I’d agree that it’s an experience that shouldn’t be missed. Look past the simple visuals and you’ll find a game with true heart….and an enemy called the Tsundereplane which is exactly what it sounds like.
Really this entry may be better served as a list of my favourite quotes, it's the kind of game that has you examine everything in sight just in case you miss another gem of silly dialogue.
"that's the trash can, feel free to visit it any time!"

SEVEN. Yoshi's Wooly World

oboG2sP.jpg

It was beginning to seem like not even videogames most famed dinosaur could outrun extinction forever, except in Yoshi’s case the meteor came in the form of many lackluster sequels that often had people forgetting quite why Nintendo bothered to give Yoshi his own game’s in the first place.
Two decades have passed since the Yoshi series defining debut entry hit the SNES yet slowly but surely the series misfired attempts to recapture that magic had taken their toll. Why I could almost see him having to go through the dishonor of trading in his unique smash bros series emblem to join the Mario mushroom brigade, dark times indeed.
Fortunately a feel good comeback story awaits courtesy of Good Feel, they just needed to knit him back into shape.

On a basic level it would be easy to look at Wooly World as another Yoshi game that sticks so close to the island formula that it would fall prey to the problems plaguing the last two Island sequels, a large chunk of the usual mechanics and foes are present and no amount of craftwork visuals can change that crapping out balls of wool is effectively the same as crapping out eggs.
What it can do however is lead to some twists on these established ideas and then some, relatively early in the game Wooly World tackles the Chomp Rock gimmick yet does so in a way that uses wool to its advantage and creates a different experience to my previous encounters with pushing a toothy looking boulder.
On top of this Wooly World actually has its own ideas to add to the formula, when I forced myself through New Island on 3DS I was in awe at coming across this one stage past the halfway point of the main game that used bubbles as central gimmick simply because it was one of the few things in the game I’d not seen in previous Yoshi games, meanwhile Wooly World vaults over that (very low) hurdle in world 1 alone, it both pays tribute to its past and actually forges on ahead for a change leading to a bunch of memorable stages like making paths through the sky by lobbing huffin’ puffins and a stage utilizing the clinginess of Velcro.

Commonly held gripes with the series are tackled head on, while it was clear that the visual side of things was safe from the game’s reveal it’s just as pleasing to finally hear the music which makes me want to increase the volume as opposed to decrease it, exorcising two demons at once with the audiovisuals here. Wooly World even handles my personal vendetta with the SNES games collectables/scoring, no longer are you forced to do everything in one go and on top of that the red coin equivalent is relegated to novelty miiverse stamps while the more interesting flower collectables lead to the juicy extra stages of platforming goodness, wonderful. Also no Baby Mario bawling and Poochy ain’t stupid, no really he ain’t, he’s great now.

Not only one of the years stronger platformers that further strengthens the Wii U as a 2D platforming powerhouse (in 2015 no less) but more importantly the first Yoshi sequel to actually deliver, the dino evolves enough to survive another entry.

SIX. Monster Hunter 4: Ultimate

cRVkEaR.jpg

I have to imagine the brainstorming sessions at Capcom for how to improve upon the existing Monster Hunter formula for the series 4th generation was a grueling process, for weeks the team sat around their meeting table deep into the early mornings, the empty takeaway boxes were piling up and the sanity was spiraling down. One frightful night there was an employee who couldn’t take the pressure anymore, he stepped out onto the window ledge with the chilling winds beckoning him down to his eternal escape. Before he could act on this sudden impulse he was shaken back to reality as the yells of a colleague rang in the background “don’t jump off that ledge!”.
And with that it hit him, what if jumping off ledges was the solution all along? Thus Monster Hunter 4 finally nailed down its central addition to the tried and tested formula, LEDGES!

Really though it’s amazing how much mileage this game gets out of this basic idea, be it a massive chasm or the peak of a sand dune the ability to bound off nearly any piece of environmental elevation opens the door for jump attacks, mounting monsters, increased variety in terrain and an overall element of verticality that the series lacked in its battling.
All of a sudden you look at the segmented map areas through new eyes, seeking out these fabled ledges and elevated areas of the landscape which can be used to your benefit offensively or defensively. A monster fleeing into a domain of ledge filled goodness is the cause for celebration, throwing down on a flatter plain meanwhile makes you long for even a single rock jutting up from the ground, indeed how did we ever survive without ledges in our lives?

Otherwise MH4 is more of the same deal it always was, the formula sharpened with a whetstone to a blinding purple sheen (that’ll be the highest level for those of you wondering the significance of purple) with a truckload of content drawing from much of the series history. At times to its detriment mind you, the never-ending parade of basic wyverns from the first generation of MH are almost rote compared to some of the more dynamic and visually diverse creatures MH4 brought to the table, it’s actually a shame that there’s not more new monsters to massacre as they only get more interesting as the series trucks on.

As it stands this is the strongest outing for the series so far, only this far down the list due to its iterative nature coming off from MH3 Ultimate giving it the Pokemon Problem of constantly improving but feeling overly familiar. Saying that I’ll still be there day 1 for MHX if its localized, Capcom have snared me well and truly at this point and they’ve earned it.

Part 2 incoming soonish...

2015 was a solid year, one of those ones where my top few games could slot in around whatever order takes my fancy at the time, so while it's not quite a case of runaway winners like the 2014 God King Combo of DKC Tropical Freeze and Bayonetta 2 it had plenty to offer.

Dude, stick to the rules. Would be a shame to see all that effort gone to waste.

I had to pick my games very carefully this year which meant I didn't play as many as I usually do, but these are the best of what I played and I was very satisfied with them.

1. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt ; Not since Chrono Trigger have I fallen in love with an RPG this hard. The storylines are the absolute best feature that Witcher 3 has to offer and saying that is in no way a bad thing when everything else in the game is done good to great.
2. Bloodborne ; Another Souls game, my wheelhouse at this point. Combat is satisfying, level design is fantastic, and setting is horrifying.
3. Rocket League ; Breakout hit of the year. Simple game of Soccer with rocket powered cars. So fun to play with friends.
4. Until Dawn ; This is another real fun game to play with friends. The story is great fun and has some interesting twists.
5. Soma ; This game is an existential crisis simulator. I may have more grey hair after seeing it completed.

GamerJM

Banned
But it came out in America in 2014

Can I put Gravity Rush: Remastered as a 2015 game since it was released in China this year even though it came out on vita in 2012

Uh, yes? If it was released this year it's eligible I believe. I plan on putting a couple games that were only released in Japan on my list this year.

Goty 2015 list Part 2: Return of the text walls

FIVE. Axiom Verge

RsB2wxZ.jpg

“oh crap”
A recurring reaction of our rather plain protagonist Trace as he encounters yet another screen filling abomination that seems to undersell the deathly alien peril, I’m not going to lie and pretend that Axiom Verge is a game that bursts with character, indeed in the early stages I wondered if it was ever going to find its footing in this department.
There was more than just a whiff of Metroid lurking in these alien depths, as per my experience with most games influenced by it I started labelling inaccessible paths in ways like “that’ll be for the morph ball equivalent” because I’m conditioned to expect such things.
Perhaps this was Axiom Verge’s plan all along, it set up my expectations of adhering too close to the tried and true powerups of that series only to deliver a series of swerves as it dares to be different.
One of the joys of Axiom Verge is how it handles its ever expanding tool set in ways that are in fact unfamiliar, I can safely say at no point did Trace ever contort himself up into a spine shattering sphere to fit through tight tunnels, instead I sent a remote controlled drone off to do some scouting.
Wondering which weapon will blast through that wall? Here’s a better idea, let’s just phase through it instead.
And thus Axiom Verge succeeded it nailing down an always appreciated aspect of this sub genre, the mystery of the unknown and feeling of discovery not just in its world map but in its items.
Really I’d love to expand more on the abilities of a fully kitted out Trace but dare I say that would spoil the fun for those going into it mostly blind like I did, I feel bad enough having already let slip of a few tidbits.

It’s these things that give Axiom Verge an identity of its own, the hostile environment is well realized and is certainly out of this world, while it could link up a bit better as a whole for traversal needs and the plot side of things went in one ear and out the other with me it’s impressive to see how this one man development mission played out and it stands out at a time where it feels like the genre is getting another indie entry every other week (not complaining, I lap this up).
Plus I instinctively input Justin Bailey on the password screen and my nerd knowledge was suitably rewarded, put the biggest grin on my face that did.

FOUR. Bloodborne

hKlVbKG.jpg

Slowly but surely as the deaths mount up my ability to refer to the game’s main currency as “blood echoes” diminishes as force of habit instead has me lament my lost “souls”, if Bloodborne itself has it’s own nightmare to try and awaken from it’s shaking the off Souls series handles that arguably forms it’s lifeblood in the first place.
I find that Bloodborne effectively comes off like something of a spiritual successor to the Souls games in a world where the actual sequels still exist which lands it in an odd middle ground, where it’s very much like them yet simultaneously its own thing. While I feel like it should’ve taken the opportunity to diversify itself further there’s nothing wrong with sharing that DNA that From Software know so well, after all it leads to a cracking game.

So what is it that makes Bloodborne stand out by comparison within the looming shadow of souls? Well I’d say that it focuses on streamlining the RPG elements and emphasizing the action side of things, it’s much more to the point and aggressive. The flow of combat is faster and more exhilarating, shields can’t save you now and in turn the dodging and attacking abilities are increased to compensate for this. The offensive side is ramped up further through the transforming trick weapons and ability to recover some health after taking damage by laying into your foes in the brief window before it depletes as opposed to being reduced to frantically rolling away to chug an estus (or instead we’ll dash backwards to slam in a blood vial).

Surprisingly this small shift in combat direction took a while for me to click with, while you still need to encounter foes with caution there’s also a benefit here to diving in full force and taking greater risks, it’s what took me from a more passive player to one that emerges from a brawl bathed in the blood of my enemies.

The atmosphere of Yarnham is so thick you could cut it with a holy blade, From outdid themselves with the environments this time around, an oppressive city of beasts and madmen dripping in fine details. Some players walk through these worlds because of caution, half the time I’m walking because I’m taking in the excellent architecture and losing myself in the mood. While the areas don’t diversify themselves as much as the souls games you get something a lot more cohesive in its place, a tightly designed marvel that pulls off the joy/relief of finding a shortcut that makes you realize “hey I’m back here again!”.
To think my favorite setting of them all is completely optional with Castle Cainhurst bringing that ghoulish and gothic goodness to a visual peak (though the final area of the DLC is right on its tail, I was in awe first stepping into the windswept fishing hamlet). And how about those bosses? menacing monstrosities walling my progression accompanied by a powerful musical score and the extra dynamic of switching up their attack patterns and becoming even more horrifying as the fight goes on.

In truth I didn’t fully get into the game until my second run in preparation for the stellar Old Hunters DLC, the reaction to the game among my Souls loving friends was mostly indifference and initially I shared similar sentiments. On round 2 though, well it was like I finally had enough insight to see the truth, my mind reeled at the revelation before me yet it was always there, I just had to grasp the truth and that is that Bloodborne is bloody great.

THREE. Splatoon

vj7bTB6.jpg

A popular bit of squid slang around the Splatoon streets is “stay fresh” and in a way that term encapsulates Splatoon in both its urban youth vibe that gives the game its character but also how the game itself feels. It’s a fresh take on the genre as well as a new IP to come out the bowels of Nintendo which in itself feels “as fresh as a daisy” as the non squid kids say….do the kids still say that? (no).

It seems so typically Nintendo to design an online focused team third person shooter the way they did here, like I can see them all thinking of how to create that elusive mass appeal for all types of player criteria that drives numerous Nintendo franchises and they figured out a way that inaccurate firing and wanderlust could still aid a team of players. It’s not about a death toll but about which team has covered the most turf in their colourfully inky goop, all of a sudden you’ve got another dynamic in play from just splatting your opponents, like sneaking around the map evading foes and adding to your territory which is way more fun than it may sound, really there’s nothing that tickles quite like following an opposing inlking’s roller with your own with them being none the wiser like something out of looney tunes, of course when they finally check the map to see that their paintjob has amounted to little but the area they currently stand it’s all too late and they get splatted under your roller.

Despite the initially anemic content at launch Splatoon has slowly but surely rolled out a ton of free content that went from rounding up the package with the Summer update to generous extras galore here at the years end, not only is this a great way to keep me checking in to see what’s new on the regular but it does so without fragmenting the player base and whilst eliminating its main flaw from its release period. I have to say, I never would’ve thought I’d be choosing to celebrate a gradual release of content yet here I am about to trumpet how the initial limitations in weapons, maps and modes helped ease me into the online experience, nail down my weapon preferences and get to grips with its unique mechanics, a controversial gamble that I personally found paid off.

Lurking within Splatoon (almost literally due to its manhole placement in the main hub) is a short but sweet single player mode that brings Super Mario Galaxy of all things to mind. Launching from one 3D Action platforming challenge to another in an abstract floating world will certainly do that, it similarly follows the same style of gimmick progression and the rule of three boss battles. This mode plays around further with ink based mechanisms that don’t appear elsewhere in the game, as such it doesn’t come across like an afterthought and manages to give me the 3D platforming fix I so often crave, when the inevitable sequel that may or may not be named Spla2oon makes its entrance I’m actually most excited to see how much further they can take the single player content because this is a great base of fun and straight to the point gameplay that in turn teaches the player the finer points about being a kid now and a squid now.

Really one of the understated great points about Splatoon is just how damn good it feels to play, the way alternating between the two forms and ink spraying lend to traversal feels so smooth and novel, be it lurking on a wall ready to bust out of your ink for a surprise assault or simply the satisfying ker-sploosh of leaping and making a dramatic descent into your own ink, they got the feel on point here. Oh and it has me make amends with my old foe of gyro controls, when it clicks it feels so natural.
With its colourful cast, distinctive soundtrack and novel gameplay Splatoon makes a huge splash to already cement itself as a Nintendo mainstay, now if they would just open up the map selection to at least three options per cycle that’d be golden, well it wouldn’t be a Nintendo game without strange decisions like that.
PS: Inkbrush4lyfe

TWO. Super Mario Maker

n6mncbm.jpg

context: I thought there may have been a secret here, there wasn't...

It wasn’t uncommon for me as a wee lad to doodle out some naff level designs for a made up game into a sketchpad and of course platforming was the genre of choice, granted I was more influenced by the early 3D era like Banjo-Kazooie and Super Mario 64 in my scribbles but I also still remember that it was Super Mario World that truly sucked me into this hobby which at times now involves more talking about games than playing them (what did you do to me GAF?).
Effectively what we have here is a dream game for myself as a child with the chance to create my very own Super Mario World stages as well as a dream game for myself now who is older and more critical, which is to say I want to make Mario World stages that push it’s particular mechanics further than the actual game itself did. Younger me pays tribute, present me attempts to push the boundaries within the limitations and either way I approach it this game has been a joy to experience.

Mario Maker is a canvas brings out different art styles depending on the player, from the GAF community alone you’ll find those who make straight up classic Mario platforming, those that create storytelling stages, those that try to confound you with puzzle like structures and some that pay homage to other games within the Mario template (Mariotroid? Mario Ware Micro Games? Yep I’ve played them). Then you’ve got seemingly the entirety of Japan who just want to watch you suffer through cheap deaths and nigh on impossible scenarios, Kaizo/Asshole Mario is officially a bad influence people.

Of course with a plethora of Mario platformers in existence alone trying to create something truly unique is a tall order, fortunately Mario Maker has a number of tricks up its sleeves for veterans of the series, the ability to rewrite the rules. Within the creation tool are possibilities the main games never indulged in, Lakitu swapping out spinies for bob-ombs, wigglers on rail tracks instead of a standard moving platform, rideable monty mole with a cannon on his head, swimming goombas, springs with wings, you get the idea. Put it this way, my first stage was based around doing a fast autoscrolling underwater stage (the horror!) requiring taking a P block from the start to the end simply because I could and it was something that would understandably not make the cut in a standard Mario game.
Of course some use these tools for evil, Giant totems of stacked Bowsers greet you upon starting a stage and the only question mark block nearby just has a Sledge Brother pop out, that simple jump has an invisible block placed over it and that one door just leads you into a pit of lava. Almost makes me think that Mario Maker is a better example of a moral choice system than some other games, choosing the cliché red sentence of villainous deeds on a dialogue wheel has nothing on someone who creates a stage where a thwomp crushes you if you aren’t immediately moving to the right, that’s a much better measure of dickery.

Fortunately this world still has people fighting for what’s right, true heroes who create levels both challenging and easy within the style that the game yearns for. 30 years of Mario represented wonderfully through the various tilesets, funnily enough Mario Maker may house the best 2D Mario control of them all, the core momentum and jump height have to be shared across styles regardless and in doing so they created physics that manage to feel right no matter what style I go for.
The ultimate victory with Mario Maker is the ease of building stages, I didn’t need to watch hours of videos narrated by Stephen Fry to even begin getting started here, the basics are taught simply and swiftly with plenty left to discover for yourself and the gamepad gets to show its worth offering a pleasant interface to create with.
In conclusion this game screwed up my sleeping pattern more than anything else this year by having me tweaking block placements into the early hours of the morning.

ONE. Ori and The Blind Forest

xwnXRkH.jpg

It was a rocky road for me finally getting to play this game fully, a journey unto itself that began with the wait for a 360 version of the game that would never arrive which led to me forcing my increasingly aged laptop to just try and play the thing only to be trapped in perpetual slow motion.
Sometimes the mind works in mysterious ways as late in the year my brother (who I’d failed to convince upgrade his 360 to an XBONE, another part of my Ori playing plans there) would hop off abroad for a weekend away and the dastard took one of my coats, specifically the one best worn in late autumn. Seemingly this injustice is what triggered my mind to realize the solution right in front of me, you take my coat? Fine, I’ll be borrowing that newfangled laptop of yours while you’re away to see if I can finally play Ori.
I may have needed to fiddle with some settings and was playing with a less than optimal screen size but that didn’t matter, I was finally going to play Ori and the Blind Forest and it was damn well worth it. Oh and my brother lost that coat of mine by the way, well it wouldn’t be a gripping tale without some heartbreak and that’s something Ori knows as well.

Ori and the Blind Forest is another foray into the Metroidvania style format of game design with a huge helping of gorgeous visuals, to strike the balance between a feast for the eyes and a readable environment is a precise act and while not always perfect it’s impressive how it keeps up its commitment to artistic splendor alongside stellar platforming setups.

Ori himself is an interesting character to control, the forest spirit is rather diminutive in stature which in turn leads to traversal across the game world nailing this nimble scampering style akin to watching the way a squirrel bounds across undergrowth and shoots up a tree trunk. This helps give the game its own feel in character control as well an environment design which you could say emphasizes the nature element of things where a stump jutting out the ground is something to leap onto as opposed to step over. The forest of Nibel itself is one of the most naturally flowing landscapes I’ve traversed in a game, the shifting of the surroundings happens with a lot more subtly than other games in the genre, no elevators or loading corridors, I just tended to notice for instance that all of a sudden the forest had got bleaker and squelchy and I’d taken my first steps into a swampy area without being taken out of immersion with the game world.

As the game progresses the platforming challenge ramps up alongside Ori’s ability to laugh in the face of gravity, the power up progression is heavily platforming focused which is a joy for me, even if it’s not breaking new ground it’s making sure to do something more important, to be fun and compelling. The sum of its parts come together to create a memorable title, I can’t have anything but love for a game that includes a giant shadowy Owl nemesis in Kuro and whatever adorable Bear like thing Naru is. Incredibly picturesque leading to a wonderful union of art and gameplay and it’s only going to get better with the definitive edition, now hopefully I'll have a better means of playing the game on that time around.

For the parser...

1. Ori and the Blind Forest ; Kuro the Owl is on the prowl
2. Super Mario Maker ; In one hand tools for a master and in others tools for disaster
3. Splatoon ; something something squid now, something something kid now
4. Bloodborne ; Prepare to stockpile many a blood vial
5. Axiom Verge ; Time for a scrap...."oh crap"
6. Monster Hunter 4: Ultimate ; jumping of a ledge is innovation on the cutting edge
7. Yoshi's Wooly World ; Stage 2-S, I've reached the goal and now I hate Monty Mole
8. Undertale ; Exposition on the walls is really kind of balls
9. Super Time Force: Ultra ; fortunately this time it's an easy rhyme
10. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt ; Getting killed by a drowner for a whole minute to reload downer

Honorable Mentions
x. Until Dawn ; Horror provides a perfect genre of which to add the videogame element to a movie like experience, butterfly effect elements could still be stronger but it's on the right track at least
x. Rocket League ; Only missing out because I already played this before it was cool and had a sillier name, nice example of how right place at the right time can make a difference

Pomo

1. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; I spent 140 hours with the Phantom Pain before finally putting it down. Those 140 hours were pure joy, barring one awful mission. People like to shit on the repetitive second act, and I understand why; however, I enjoyed playing MGSV so much that I was just happy to see it keep going, even if that meant just playing through modified versions of previous missions. It's a wonderful mess of a game and I love it. Straight fuck that one mission, though.

2. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D ; A fantastic remake of the true best Zelda title. The task of collecting all of Termina's many masks brought the same various smiles to my face as it did the first time.

3. Bloodborne ; The beautifully fucked up world of Bloodborne is captivating, and holds the tightest, most immediate gameplay of the Souls canon to boot. Its elusive atmospheric storytelling does wonders for setting a tone, and ranks as a masterclass in design.

4. Rocket League
5. Undertale
6. Monster Hunter 4U
7. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt ; (still playing, position may change)
8. Fallout 4
9. Super Mario Maker
10. Halo 5

1. Bloodborne ; One of the most intense and rewarding games I have ever played. The close to perfect gameplay is matched by the dark and disturbing world and a haunting atmosphere that gets under your skin. A truly addictive experience that you cannot stop playing or thinking about.
2. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt ; The most impressive open world I have ever seen in a game combined with the masterful storytelling filled with interesting quests, fascinating characters and tough dramatic choices makes The Witcher 3 an unforgettable experience.
3. Life is Strange ; When it comes to a pure emotional impact Life is Strange was the strongest game of the year for me. Life is Strange is first and foremost about the characters, who feel so real and down to earth with their problems and insecurities that one can't help but to grow close to them. Many of the choices in the game carry an emotional weight that has rarely been matched. The excellent soundtrack deserves a special mention as well.
4. Until Dawn ; The game is just filled with atmosphere from the ominous moon light shining between the trees in the forest to the sounds of snow under your feet. I was surprised how much the characters grew on me towards the end. Really tense, scary and unique experience with some great graphics and sound design.
5. Batman: Arkham Knight ; Might be technically the most impressive PS4 game so far. The game is filled with striking visual details and the gameplay is even smoother and more responsive than in the previous Batman games. You really feel like you are the Batman and the story has some nice surprises that keeps you playing. Overall great game and fun experience, even though I feel the tank was a bit overused at a times.
6. Rise of the Tomb Raider ; As a huge fan of the reboot I had high expectations for this sequel and I was not disappointed. This is more of the same excellent and smooth gameplay with good pacing and some stunningly beautiful locations and great level design. The small open world areas were interesting to explore and the tombs were fun and had enough variety. I played the 360 version and had I played this on a current gen console I might rank this over Arkham Knight.
7. Assassin's Creed Syndicate ; On the outside this is more of the same old Assassins Creed, not the most polished or smooth when it comes to gameplay but still a lot of fun to play and filled with some excellent content. The Victorian London is probably the most interesting location of the series so far and Syndicate is full of some great characters, especially Evie who's the best thing to happen to the series in a long time. She's quite easy on the eyes as well.
8. Xenoblade Chronicles X ; Even though the learning curve is quite steep at first the game rewards patient players with a vast open world filled with interesting activities and numerous things to discover. I really enjoyed the combat system as well.
9. Yoshi's Woolly World ; Yoshi brings some color and variety to my list and it was one of the most charming and pleasant games I played all year. Especially when played in co-op.
10. Everybody's Gone to the Rapture ; In many ways unique, mysterious and thought provoking experience with some beautiful music and scenery.

xinek

1. Bloodborne ; Atmosphere, art direction, gameplay all nailed.
2. Splatoon ; Original, fresh, love the art design and constant trickle of free DLC.
3. Call of Duty: Black Ops III ; Finally, a good COD multiplayer, and Zombies is great this year.
4. Star Wars Battlefront ; The super casual shooter I didn't even know I wanted.
5. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege ; Another take on the shooter, tense and well executed, with what looks to be great support from the development team
6. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D ; Intense.
7. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker ; So charming.
8. PlanetSide 2 ; Large scale shooter on PS4 finally showing a bit of polish.
9. Super Mario Maker ; The Mario Maker we've always wanted.
10. The Swapper ; Another very atmospheric game.

1. Bloodborne ; This game was so good that it left me wanting more, even after the DLC. Great twist on the Souls combat, amazing atmosphere, unique and challenging bosses, and one hell of a revelation in the story about halfway through. It may have my favorite lore in a Souls game to date. As much as I want Miyazaki to keep making new IP's, I kind of hope that we still get a direct sequel at some point.
2. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt
3. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
4. Soma
5. Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
6. Xenoblade Chronicles X
7. Rocket League
8. Destiny: The Taken King

?oe?oe

I only bought 5 games this year so...

1. Splatoon; Haven't played something so fresh and original for a long time. Not even the horrible rotations can stop my enjoyment.
2. Fast Racing Neo; amazing sense of speed.
3. Super Mario Maker
4. Runbow
5. Shantae and the Pirate's Curse; Came out in Feb in Australia, so suck it.

Of course Nocturnowl's number 1 game would have an Owl two years in a row! Ori is a fine game tho, lets hope the "beating up Owls" trend continues into 2016

Splatoon frustrates me to no end. I'm sure I would be in love with the mechanics, but there was no way in hell I was buying it at launch with no party system (playing mp games solo for me is zzzzzzzzzz). And now I feel like I missed the boat.

oh well boys

1. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; Easily #1 on my list and I already feel bad for knowing my following comment isn't going to do justice to this game, even though it's not even supposed to. This game excels at almost every aspect I feel is relevant in a videogame. The core gameplay and its mechanics are out of this world. Definitely among best in any open world game AND TPS AND stealth/action game I've seen so far. I would even go as far as to say it's the best stealth/action game out there. The controls are very tight and precise, the arsenal of weapons and tools at your disposal massive in both, quantity and quality. I haven't unlocked everything in the game yet, only most of the SP content. But so far, every single one feels unique and has its place. No redundancy here, giving the game a highly organic and balanced feeling. The sheer amount of options you have makes it possible to play the same mission multiple times while having every run feel like a different mission leaving the only thing they have in common, the mission objective. And I'm not only talking about going in either all guns blazing OR stealth-only. No, those are only the two absolute ends to a scale filled with everything between them. Filled with what you want the game to be. Performance and image quality of this game (PS4 version) puts pretty much every other current gen console game to shame considering that it's an open-world game. This must be one of the best optimized games out there. The realistic appearance combined with the rocksolid 60fps only add up to the generally impressive visual presentation this game offers. I'm so glad they went with this framerate. It works so well, gameplay- and cutscene wise and creates that very cineastic experience many games try to deliver but fail to to do so. Kojima simply understands cinema in a way like no developer out there. The camera angles with that constant shaky handheld-camera- and dirty lense-effect, the facial and body animations and stances, the excellent voice acting, sound and music design not to mention the symbolism he implements. Everything here has depth. All of that plus the excessive attention to detail contributes to making cutscenes and in-game moments feel truly relevant and memorable for years to come. I've been watching the ridiculously well cut trailers since the announcement of The Phantom Pain at the GDC 2013 so many times now, dozens, perhaps even over a hundred of times EACH. And I still do from time to time. I haven't been so excited about a release since 2010 (Halo Reach). Never before have I played a game that came closer to my conception of a perfect videogame while managing to live up to its expectations or rather to my expectations. Is the game perfect? No, not by far. Is it complete? Nope. Is it repetitive? Sure, repetitive indeed but it doesn't bore me even after +100h. Is it disappointing? Unfortunately yes, partially. And despite all this, I cannot help but to put this game on my #1 for 2015. I feel like it's going to be a long time until another game manages to impress me to such an extempt as this game did. If this doesn't deserve a 10/10 then I don't know what does. Call me naive but only very few games have caught me off guard like this game did at the end, even if it seems predictable in retrospect. While many of you may disagree with the ending, I for my part, do agree. I'm not that hardcore to know 100% of the Metal Gear lore which is probably why I don't see any plot holes or contradictions here. I only know that it makes sense to me and I'm more than satisfied with how things went. Excluding the Konami incident of course. This may sound cheesy but I'd also like to add that no other game has had me feel emotionally connected with a game developer/studio before, even though I've never met any of them in person. There have been moments in which I've felt mutual gratitude and parting, not least because of the symbolic twist at the end. The most unfortunate circumstances which happened around this game have certainly contributed to this interpretation, but still. It is my interpretation of their successful attempt to break the fourth wall to the player. That very fourth wall which so many of us are looking for in this game.

2. Bloodborne ; This has become one of the best games of this gen the day it's been released. It's an unparalleled experience, taking the best elements of the Souls series and throwing them into a completely new and fresh setting.

3. Splatoon ; And the Lord of shooter said "Let there be Splatoon." No, seriously. After presuming I've seen everything the shooter genre has to offer, this game pop out of nowhere for me. It is simply amazing, full of fresh ideas and innovation. Oh, and it's constantly supported with new and FREE content by Nintendo! This must be the first game I've invested more than 50 hours during a week of full-time work, that's how addictive it is. Don't do that btw, it's not healthy. I cannot wait to see how Nintendo will further expand this game now that NX is on the doorstep. It has the potential of becoming another big IP for them, if it doesn't happen already.

4. Dead or Alive 5 Last Round ; I've been switching between SF4, SCV, Smash and DOA5 for the past 2 years now, but I have to admit that this one is my favorite fighting game out of those 4. Highly underrated and not taken serious by many due to its sexual aspect but once you start digging into the mechanics and combo system, you will come to realize how competent this game not only as a fighting game is but also as a community. I've put almost 1000h into this game in 2015 and had one of my best times in life with the the people from the Free Step Dodge forums. Great and helpful community, but very poor in numbers. It's unfortunate but I dropped the game for the time being since there's just no scene in my country hence no local competition.

5. Tales From The Borderlands ; This one made it in here last minute!

6. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt ; Pretty low, but after about 50h I had to take a break from it. It would've probably much higher on my list but another game caught my interest during my break with this game and I haven't returned to it so far. But I plan to do so.

7. Rocket League ; Probably one of the biggest multiplayer surprises in the last years. I've spent so many hours playing online with my friends, it's stupid. It is as fun and competitive as it is simple. Textbook of how less can me more sometimes.

8. Life Is Strange ; What a surprise. It could have been much better but a certain scene in Episode 4 broke me so hard on an emotional level like almost no other game did before. First I was like "Oh, this is most unfortunate..." before I totally broke out in tears for at least 15 minutes. This alone makes it one of my Top 10 this year.

9. The Order: 1886 ; I'm probably the only one who included this game in his Top 10 but I enjoyed this game more than I expected to. Not only is it the currently best looking game (imo) but it also provides an unused setting and interesting plot, whose potential has unfortunately not been exploited. It could have been so much more but it looks like we're not even going to see a sequel judging by the poor sales. What a shame.

10. The Vanishing of Ethan Carter ; Had to include this after excluding Fallout 4 from this list.

Dude, stick to the rules. Would be a shame to see all that effort gone to waste.
Well I appreciate the concern, but i've got that covered.

4. Runbow
This may have been the game I was trying to remember when I had my honourable mentions, its fun in its simplicity though I still haven't got any local multiplayer out of it unfortunately.

Of course Nocturnowl's number 1 game would have an Owl two years in a row! Ori is a fine game tho, lets hope the "beating up Owls" trend continues into 2016

It's the secret formula to making your 2D game stand out further, add owls for memorable boss encounters.

Well if Monster Hunter X makes it overseas next year I'll be skinning its Owl monster for armor so that's a start.

Splatoon frustrates me to no end. I'm sure I would be in love with the mechanics, but there was no way in hell I was buying it at launch with no party system (playing mp games solo for me is zzzzzzzzzz). And now I feel like I missed the boat.

oh well boys

Well hopefully the inevitable sequel will actually come with the obvious option from the start though that's also battling against good ol' Nintendo logic.

1. Yakuza 5 ; A huge, lovingly crafted RPG/brawler with several other gameplay styles for side content that are realised well enough to make whole other games of their own. Easily the best game I played this year, and it's really sad most will overlook it due to the triple handicap of PS3 exclusive + digital only + niche franchise.
2. Tales of Zestiria ; Zaveid is such a babe, honestly.
3. SteinsGate ; It's one of the most beloved visual novel of recent years for a reason. Great twisty plot with fabulous characters. Play it even if you've seen the anime!
4. D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die ; It ran terribly on my laptop, but it was easily charming and engaging enough for me to look past all that.
5. New Style Boutique 2: Fashion Forward
6. Grim Fandango Remastered
7. Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai DX
8. Persona 4: Dancing All Night
9. Resident Evil: Relevations 2
10. BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma Extend

StoveOven

Banned
On my list, you will find games that nail story and games that nail gameplay. However, you won't see any that nail both. This isn't to say that there were none of those this year, just none that I played enough of to comment on. That means that I'm leaving this year a little disappointed and hoping that the likes of Uncharted can come through and deliver on both aspects next year. That being said, I thoroughly enjoyed all of these games, and if given more time, I probably would have found other games that I loved this year too. So here they are, my Top 10 Games of 2015.

2LOYQWF.png

1. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; This game is full of flaws. The story is poorly put together, and the FOB system is gross. That being said, there are too many things this game does right to not recognize it as my game of the year. The core gameplay is the most satisfying of any game this year. The open world nature of the map is a perfect fit for Metal Gear and makes base invasion interesting and diverse. The amount of options you have is incredible. Despite some misgivings, the story is incredibly well told with wonderfully directed cutscenes and has enough interesting plot points to make it worth playing for a series fan. The game also has that weird sense of humor that the series is known for. I hate this game, but dammit I love this game.
2. Rocket League ; While MGS V might be the begrudging winner, Rocket League is the feel runner up. When I first played Rocket League, I thought it was a fun game without any legs. Boy am I happy that I was wrong. Of all the games that came out this year, I am glad that this one took the world by storm. It is some of the most fun multiplayer I have ever played and a truly unique premise (even if it is a sequel). This game is pure fun, and I loved every second I played of it.
3. Until Dawn ; Until Dawn takes the David Cage formula and does it better than Cage ever has. The characters manage to make you both love them and hate them at the same time. The acting is fantastic. The story is an awesome roller coaster. The way the choices impact the story can be interesting at points. Once you look back at the butterfly system it starts to fall apart, but in the moment it is great. It does the choice based narrative better than any other game I have played.
4. Nuclear Throne ; Nuclear Throne is a late entry to this list, and I'm sad that it's late release date means more outlets won't recognize it. However, the game is super fun. I've been down on a lot of roguelikes in the past, but Nuclear Throne has something that a game like Binding of Isaac doesn't; GOOD GAMEPLAY. The dual stick shooting in Nuclear Throne is incredibly satisfying. The screen shake is awesome and ridiculous. The loot is awesome to get, but Nuclear Throne isn't about getting a build. How far you go will depend on how well you play, and no upgrade or weapon is going to make or break your run. Nuclear Throne is a roguelike, but it doesn't rely on that to make it good. Instead, it is just an awesome, top-down shooter with randomly generated levels, great characters, and cool guns
5. Tales From the Borderlands ; I have always loved the Borderlands games, and Tales does a great job with that universe. They take the potential it has and do more with it than Gearbox ever did. They make their own story with their own characters while also staying true to Borderlands. If you don't care about the universe, there is an awesome, fun story with great characters to enjoy. If you are a Borderlands fan, there is all of that as well as a bunch of things that tie into the other games well without seeming like bad fan service. This game suffers from all of the issues that other Telltale games suffer from, but it also some of their best writing yet. And those intro credits sequences are fantastic
6. Halo 5: Guardians ; Rocket League might be the best multiplayer game this year, but Halo 5 is a close second and by far the best shooter on the current generation of consoles. Mechanically, Halo 5 is so strong. Everything has the perfect amount of weight behind it, and the new mechanics fit into the old Halo formula perfectly. I don't really like Warzone, but the arena multiplayer is fantastic. The story is serviceable, if not great. I like the idea of playing as Locke the whole time, and actually wish they went all the way with it. Not much happens throughout the course of Halo 5's story, but I like where things end and am excited for Halo 6. Also, the mission design is much better than it was in Halo 4.
7. OlliOlli2: Welcome to Olliwood ; Despite hearing good things and it always being on sale, I avoided the original OlliOlli. I didn't like the way it looked, and I've never been a skateboarding fan. However, the sequel was given away with PS+, so I decided to jump into it. I learned that the game isn't a skating game and is instead a platformer with awesome and weird mechanics. I kept going back to this game. The aesthetics and music kept me calm despite the difficulty of some of the later levels. The game has quick restarts that made me say "one more run" plenty of times. I love platformers, and OlliOlli2 is the best one I played this year.
8. Mortal Kombat X ; MK9 is my favorite fighting game of all time. I don't typically play fighting games, but with the addition of story modes, Netherrealm has gotten be on board with an entire genre. The story in MKX is not as strong as that in its predecessor. However, it does a good job of introducing new characters and setting up a sequel. Much like Halo, it doesn't do everything perfectly, but it doesn't screw stuff up to the point where I no longer care. From a mechanics standpoint, it's great. I'm not the ultimate source of fighting game knowledge, but I had a ton of fun playing Mortal Kombat X, and I kept playing it long after I beat the story. The game also looks incredible, with great environments and character designs. That particular aspect is a huge step up from MK9.
9. Contradiction - Spot the Liar! ; What would you say if I did THIS? Contradiction is a ridiculous game, but it leans in to its ridiculousness in a way that I appreciate. The story manages to be both gripping and campy. The acting is perfect for what it is. I started playing this game to laugh at it, but I eventually started to want to solve the mystery and laugh alongside the game. More people should play this game, and I want to thank the Giant Bomb East team for introducing me to it.
10. Rise of the Tomb Raider ; I'm still playing Rise of the Tomb Raider, so I can't put it any higher. However, I like a lot of what it does. The environments are great, the tombs are much better than the previous game, and the thrill ride stuff is well done. I also have a lot of hangups about this game. The story seems throwaway, the shooting isn't very good, and the metoidvania aspects hurt the open world aspects. But the game as a whole so far seems like a solid package, and I look forward to continuing it.

zonezeus

Jesus Christ, some of these lists make me want to delete mine, because it looks and reads like crap in comparison. Kudos guys!

Foreward: I know my list is incomplete at best, perhaps ridiculous to others, but these are the eligible games I've played this year in order from best to tenth best. Understand that much of my year was spent playing games that released in 2014 and even before that.

1. Until Dawn ; Say what you will but these kind of interactive experiences have always grabbed me going back to FMV PC games of yore. Until Dawn was a fantastic culmination of this sub-genre that I would call interactive story games. Games like Heavy Rain and Indigo Prophecy. These games are all of a similar gameplay mechanic if you will, and I enjoy them greatly. Until Dawn was the best I've played.
2. Grand Theft Auto V ; played on PS4, the addition of first person mode, along with other enhancements from the X360 version made GTA V one of the best games that I played released in 2015.
3. MLB 15: The Show ; the only baseball simulation on consoles in 2015 proved to be a great one with deep immersive pitcher/hitter duels and a fun career mode. Almost a true great, but needs more stat tracking next year.
4. Madden NFL 16 ; played on PS4, one of my favorite Madden games of all-time. M16 rivals M05 and NFL 2K5 IMO as all-time football simulations.
5. Project CARS ; played on PS4, what a great effort from SMS in 2015. Despite the need for several patches, this game continues to impress as a simulation oriented racer. My top racing game released in 2015.
6. Her Story ; Such an interesting game! I picked it up after it won so many awards at the VGA awards this year. Great little gem I wouldn't have otherwise played.
7. NBA 2K16 ; played on PS4, this game was actually not at the level of 2K15 in many instances in my opinion, most notably the awful Spike Lee MyCareer stuff.
8. The Order 1886 ; critics can say what they want, but I knew what I was getting, a tightly focused single player narrative with beautiful visuals and a play through of roughly 8 hours. It delivered what I expected.
9. Batman: Arkham Knight ; played on PS4 where I didn't suffer the debacle of the PC version, I understand the backlash against WB and this game. However, I enjoyed it quite a bit in my time with it.
10. WWE 2K16 ; I understand that objectively, this game is not great on the whole. But the inclusion of particular legends in this edition (Rick Rude, 91' Sting, Vader), combined with the Steve Austin story mode, keeps this game disc in my PS4 more than it should.

X.Dying Light

1. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt ; More of the characters I loved from the prequels, beautifully detailed world and characters, good sidequests that really bring life to the land and a great OST. Combat is arguably the "not as good as the rest" part of the game, it could use a bit more work but I still enjoyed it and was never bothered by it.

oh well boys

wait for UC4 Team Objective tbhhhh

1. Bloodborne ; My first entry in to the Souls genre and now my favorite game of all time. It got better and better. The game design and unlocking of different paths was very clever. The boss fights were like nothing I had experienced before and the feeling of winning was the best part. After I was done with the main story line, I played countless hours with my friend going through dungeons together. I have never been as satisfied with a game as I was with Bloodborne. Best OST and art I've ever experienced in a game. Can't say enough.

2. Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection ; I did not play any Uncharted games last generation, so this was my first experience. Wow...I now understand why the franchise is so beloved and why Uncharted 2 is generally thought of a standout in the series. I was excited for Uncharted 4 based off the footage but now that I'm invested in the characters, my enjoyment will be even more. Sad that I missed this series over the years, but appreciative I can now go back to experience it.

3. Wolfenstein: The Old Blood ; The New Order was my favorite game last year and I was incredibly excited to play the expansion. BJ's inner monologue's are well thought out and give the story some meaning behind satisfying gun play. I could have done without the zombies, but the game resonates with me for some reason. The music also strikes a mood for the situation it's in each time. Machine Games has done a masterful job with this series and I look forward to their next iteration.
PLEASE

4. Fallout 4 ; Like the first two games on this list, this was my entry point in to the series (I had a long lapse of not playing games). I wasn't enthralled with the main storyline, but I've played Bethesda games before and understand that these types of games are more about the experience you create for yourself. However clunky, I really enjoy building my settlement and making the home my own. The Hearthfire DLC took up lots of my time a few years back so having this from the get go was nice for me. I still have a lot to do in this game, despite my 60+ hours, and see no reason to stop. It could certainly be better, but it scratched the open-world itch I had been missing since Skyrim.

5. Rocket League ; Fantastic concept that they executed to perfection. The controls are tight, the cars are fun to customize and the frenetic pace is perfect for a 5 minute romp. Got 20 minutes to kill? Perfect. From the time to boot up the game to the time you play is very fast (reminds me of Driveclub). You can play with basic skills or you can be masterful with flight controls. It also has something that games have been getting rid of much to my dismay....multiplayer split-screen.

Honorable Mentions

x. Driveclub DLC ; I know the base game came out in 2014, but the bulk of the DLC has been released this year and I wanted to mention it because it stole a lot of my time. Each car is modeled with great care (I believe I read somewhere they take 9 months to totally build out each car) and you felt that every time you buckled up. I'm so happy Evolution continued to support this game despite the negative press it received (some rightfully so, others not as much) and mediocre scores. It's the game I've spent the most time in this generation and if the iteration of VR is what I think it will be, I'm not sure that will change.

x. The Order: 1886 ; I was very excited for this game before release, but I waited for reviews to come out. With how bad it was canned, I went on the "I'll wait for a sale" list. But that time came and I now know I would have been satisfied paying full price. Honestly. It wasn't the best game of all time and I could see and understand the complaints, but I also enjoyed the story very much and was blown away by the graphics. Gun play was decent (wish I had more time with some other guns) but those boss fights were pretty bad. All that to say I enjoyed my time with it and would like to see if they could take another step with a second installment. Doesn't seem likely, but I guess we'll see.

x. Battlefront ; Fun shooter that I can get in and get out and is amazing to look at. I'm not an online multiplayer gamer, but I have found this one to be accessible for me. I wish there were more options available for split screen (I'm sure I'm in the minority), but overall I've had fun. I'm not a huge Star Wars fan and it still draws me in with how great it looks.

rjc571

Banned
8. Rodea Sky Solider ; ...yeah i clearly didn't play much new stuff this year. Wii one is fun though! WU version plays like booty buttcheeks.

Not sure why you would say this... the Wii version feels like a long last classic from a bygone era where console games were allowed to be colorful and explore new ideas and run at high framerates (a.k.a. the Dreamcast/PS2 era)... it's a huge breath of fresh air in an industry where it feels like every retail game is creatively neutered in order to meet a very rigid set of criteria and to pander to a specific demographic.

1. Life Is Strange ; An unexpected rollercoaster ride where the episodic structure actually improved the game's pacing. Life Is Strange goes down some dark paths and treats its subject matter seriously. Because of those things, and because of well-drawn characters like Maxine Caulfield, Life Is Strange was a much-needed breath of fresh air. We need more games like this.

2. Fallout 4 ; 130+ hours is maybe stretching Fallout 4 a little thin, but for the whole time I was playing there was always something extra around the corner if I only bothered to look. And I did. A lot. Yes, Bethesda dumbed down the dialogue options, and yes, it's not really an RPG anymore. While I care about both those things intellectually, I was also able to appreciate Fallout 4 for what it is now: the best open-world first-person experience available today.

3. Sublevel Zero ; I nearly missed this game entirely, and I'm glad I didn't. Sublevel Zero is the game I didn't know I wanted this year: permadeath Descent. Distills everything great about single-player Descent into a fantastic roguelike.

4. Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2 - Break Record ; Half of this is cheating, because Devil Survivor 2 was released a few years back for the DS. But the added voice acting and improved resolution put the main campaign on par with Devil Survivor Overclocked, and then the added second campaign puts it over the top. Break Record finally makes DS2 the definitive Devil Survivor game.

5. A-Train 3D: City Simulator ; An unexpected contender for favourite city sim of the year. A-Train's not like SimCity, and learning the quirks and nuances of this transport-oriented city sim have been half the joy. The only issue is some scenarios could have been better balanced--one early scenario requires a LOT of grinding--but overall it's a novel take on the city simulator that I played for a hundred hours.

6. I Am Bread ; The best game you'll likely ever play about bread. As "obtuse control simulators" go, I Am Bread strikes the right balance between frustrating and rewarding. Combine that with a set of well-designed obstacle courses for you to navigate and you have a surprisingly engrossing bread simulator.

7. DiRT Rally ; I didn't spend enough time with this game for various reasons, only some of which have to do with my frustrating lack of skill. But DiRT Rally feels like the game you really wanted after playing years of DiRT games: a game that tosses all the bullshit arcade chaos and XTREEM branding, and completely nails the sensation of a good Scandinavian flick gone wrong. If interpreting pace notes is already second nature to you, DiRT Rally isn't just the game for you, it's the revival of an entire racing genre.

8. Cities: Skylines ; The SimCity reboot EA couldn't give you. After years of Cities In Motion games, Colossal Order finally gets the spotlight it deserves.

9. Her Story ; Short and sweet, with an intriguing mystery to unravel at your own pace.

Honorary Mentions
x. Read Only Memories ; I've only gotten through the first two or three chapters, so it's too early to judge the whole game. I really dig the world, though: a cyberpunk San Francisco that avoids the easy route of making everything grimdark. Genuinely witty and charitable towards its colourful cast of characters. Plus, I enjoy listening to every item I can with my magic headphones.
x. IA/VT Colorful ; A bumper crop for rhythm games on the Vita, but this one was my personal favourite of the bunch. Sleek presentation, a great set of songs, and a progression well suited to someone like me, who's decent but not amazing at rhythm games.
x. Guitar Hero Live ; Yes, there are theoretical issues with a game mode that only delivers songs to play so long as you--or it--remains online. But GHTV feels like the future of band game DLC by calling back to when music channels like MTV and MuchMusic were popular.
x. Roundabout ; Personal choice for Best Goofy FMV Game. (Her Story gets Best Serious FMV Game, of course.)

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
1. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt ; One of the best games ever made. Raises the bar for RPG's when it comes to world building, quest design, narrative, tying it together with satisfying gameplay.
2. Pillars of Eternity ; Great modern take on the classic D&D style games from the late 90's.
3. Rise of the Tomb Raider ; Really similar to the Uncharted games, outdoing them when it comes to gameplay, and coming reasonably close when it comes to narrative.
4. Rocket League ; Addictive game. Easy to get in to, with incredible depth.
5. Cities: Skylines ; Finally, a worthy successor to Sim City 4.
6. Halo 5 ; Poor singleplayer, but the multiplayer is best in class.
7. Fallout 4 ; Fantastically realized sandbox, even as the narrative and combat falls way short.

Dundar

1. Bloodborne ; My first souls game. I was on the verge of selling it after my first evening, Cleric Beast was too damn hard. Then something clicked, and I beat it the first time the following day.
my other highlight was Upper Cathedral Ward..... never been so stressed and nervewracked by a game as much as that level. When i was finally able to open that gooddamned door to the exterior..... felt like seeing the light after a month in a cellar. Wonderful game.

2. Life Is Strange ; I appreciate Telltale games for what they are, but this basically nails everything I felt was missing from TT games. First and foremost, following Max in her everyday life (shower, classes, messages on the phone, every little thing like helping others or grabbing photos) added such an intimacy in the immersion of the user who felt him/herself growing closer to the characters. Learning to know every single one of them, one by one, at times in unexpeded ways. That lead the game to develop a much appreciated Twin peaks whodunnit kind of vibe, all the while retaining its modern and heartfelt storytelling. Finally, the great number of hotspot is reminiscent of old school graphic adventure (even if the game is really simple), and while there is some cringe-worthy dialogue at times, I found myself really amused by some descriptions. Besides, Max and Chloe voice actresses really killed it.

3. Her story ; FMV games done right. Especially liked how open it is to interpretations.... while the game tells a clear story (if a bit convoluted, by intentions), the doubts lingers and by the end we get no explicit answer, while all the suggestions and ideas keep searching for a definite clue in our brains. Very nice game.

4. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; Platinumed the game in about 180 hours. Never once I felt boredom, everything was so incredibly polished and smooth, functional to gameplay, and every system was so expertly tuned it was a pleasure to play.
Yeah, before konami started adding stupid rank 8-9 items, focusing on post-sale FOB support (ugggh)..... fortunately the core game is more or less untouched, unless a few new items count. Hope it stays that way. Hope i find time to play some MGO during the holidays.

5. Uncharted The Nathan Drake Collection ; Having skipped these made me so happy to see the announcement for the remaster. First game was a disappointment.... disappointment in that the game controls are not very good, and the setting quite limited in scope and epicness. But then i played U2, and while the controls are still better in other games (MGSV, TR).... i was astounded by the scale of the adventure, the thrill and adrenaline of set pieces, the magnificent banter between characters which has become a signature (and a selling point). Damn, the U1 => U2 improvement was really astounding.

6. Tearaway Unfolded ; Still haven't finished it, but what i played of it was enough to warrant a place in the top 10. Imaginative, creative, inspirational. Truly a wonder to behold <3

7. Wolfenstein: The old blood ; Not as good as the new order, but nearly as good. TNO was my favourite FPS campaign after HL2, and this is a wonderful data disk for it. Sure, Blazko is less talkative, there are less cutscene and the entire setting is not as cool as the new order, but the gunplay is still top notch, characterization is still well done (Fergus! <3), and the few Blazko monologue here and there are too good. Shit I had goosebumps for the finale. Keep up the good work Machinegames!

8. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt ; I appreciate the setting, the quality of the many secondary quests and the open world design. Hated--HATED the goddamned aweful 3rd act of the game and the conclusion. Mainly, main quest is too slow and plodding, and the resolution to many of its plot points are, basically, deus-ex machinas (especially the very end). Also combat and UI are really poor, functioning and not really functional to the experience (esp. the UI). Really soured me on a game I was expecting to love, coming from W2. Still, quite deserving of a spot in the top 10.

still haven't started Undertale, Until dawn and, well, many others.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
1. Splatoon ; Though I was always interested in the game, I was not prepared for how thoroughly this game would hook me. One of the most novel shooters I've played in years, and one I keep going back to again and again.
2. The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC ; Been waiting four years for this game to finally come out. Story was every bit as good as I was hoping it would be.
3. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel ; Another excellent game in the Trails series. Being able to see the same world from a different country's perspective was interesting. I've always liked stories that involve political struggles, and the writing in this game is very strong.
4. The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes ; I'm a big fan of the multiplayer Zelda games, and Tri Force Heroes did not disappoint. Huge amount of fun trying to figure out the puzzles.
5. Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon ; A return to form for a series I've thoroughly enjoyed despite not reviewing well.
6. FAST Racing Neo ; Not quite as good as F-Zero, but it is really well-designed.
7. Halo 5: Guardians
8. Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls
9. Tales of Zestiria
10. Super Mario Maker

Honorable Mentions:
x. Code Name: S.T.E.A.M.
x. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D ; My favorite game of all-time is Majora's Mask. But as a remake, I don't really think it's fair to include this on my Top 10.
x. Rare Replay ; As a compilation, I don't really feel right including it on my top 10. Some great games in here though!
x. Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection ; Love Uncharted, but can't include it in my top 10 for the same reason as above.
x. EarthBound Beginnings ; Love this series, and am very glad this finally saw an official release in English. The first Mother seemed rough to me at first, but it's grown on me more and more every time I've played it. This year was not the first time I've played the game, though, so I don't feel comfortable including it on my top 10.

This is my list as it stands now. I will probably edit it later when I've played a couple more games from this year (in particular, I cannot imagine Trails of Cold Steel not making my list, but since it comes out tomorrow...).

EDIT 12/31/15: Added Trails of Cold Steel to my list at #3. Moved everything below it down one, and moved Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. to Honorable Mentions. Also added a few more Honorable Mentions.

Volcane

1. Until Dawn ; Loved the story and the butterfly affect system. Great voice acting throughout and good representations of the real world actors.

2. Witcher 3 . Great main story and side quests. Great graphics and enjoyed exploring the world fighting all manner of creatures.

3. Life is Strange; An emotional roller coaster.

4. Dying light ; Great zombie game.

5. Bloodborne; looks great qnd great combat.

6. MGS V ; Nice open world gameplay.

7. Star Wars Battlefront ; Fun multiplayer, faithful representation of Star Wars.

8. Everybody's gone to the Rapture ; Atmospheric story, nice graphics.

9. Uncharted Collection ; I don't know if this counts, but it is great improvement to original games.

10. Ori and the Blind Forest; Nice looking and fun platform game

Prismo

Neo Member
1. Fallout 4 ; God I love this game, warts and all. Can't wait for the modtools to be released.
2. Bloodborne ; I honestly wanted to give this top spot, but my irrational love of Fallout 4 and the fact that my preferred souls class of all magic wasn't really an option pipped it at the post, .
3. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt ; Beautiful visuals, great writing (mostly), and just really impressive above and beyond developer support. However didn't really enjoy the combat, and I kind of hate Geralt...
4. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; Hadn't played one of these since 2, felt like a fantastic game drowning under the weight of nonsense, from Quiet to the story in general, and then Konami took a hatchet to it to try and wring money out of people. Left a bad taste in my mouth.
5. Ori and the Blind Forest ; Beautiful. Stunning. Gorgeous. Loved it despite the fact that this isn't really my type of game.
6. Rocket League ; ROCKET LEAGUE!
7. Nuclear Throne ; Fantastic bite sized fun.
8. Dying Light ; Really impressed with where they took the Dead Island formula, got a lot of enjoyment out this game.
9. Shadowrun: Hong Kong ; May not have been as good as Dragonfall, but I still really enjoyed it.
10. Destiny: The Taken King ; I can't believe I actually bought this after last year's launch, but I got pulled in by the hype and the thought that the fantastic shooting had an actual game attached to it, for the most part I had a good time. Still all the bullshit surrounding this game and the unmitigated greed just makes me angry. Wasted potential the game.

Honorable Mentions
x. Xenoblade Chronicles X ; I haven't actually played this, weird honorable I know, but I really want to play this game, just wish it came out a platform that I cared about.

theDeeDubs

1. Assassin's Creed Syndicate ; I know this series gets crapped on a lot here, but it continues to be one of my most favorites in gaming. I felt they made a lot of improvements from Unity with Syndicate. I also enjoyed the protagonists in this one a lot too. I really hope Ubi doesn't retire this series like they did Prince of Persia.
2. Rise of the Tomb Raider ; I've been hooked on Tomb Raider games since the first one on PC. Even though these have evolved differently, I feel that it exactly what they have done-evolved. This game improved upon the amazing reboot in every way. Hopefully we see more of it.
3. Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin ; I'm one of the few who preferred DS2 to DS1, and I've been hooked on Souls since Demons. While some of the changes that were made I found to be for the worse, I still think this remaster is deserving of a top five spot.
4. Dying Light ; This was my surprise game of the year. I was not expecting it to be that good after playing Dead Island. I was a bit let down by the end of it. Too much gunplay.
5. Fallout 4 ; Way better than Fallout 3. I loved the switch from a silent protagonist too. I know that was hated by many, but I have always felt silent protagonists were jarring during dialogue parts. Maybe as a parent, this story hit closer to home as well. I was hooked on the story from the get go.
6. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt ; While I think it's a pretty solid game, I felt they did a poor job with the leveling system. While I understand what they were going for, I think it was poorly implemented. I enjoyed The Witcher 2 much more.
7. Batman: Arkham Knight ; I would've placed it higher had it not been for the vehicle sections. Ugh.
8. Life is Strange ; Loved this!
9. Resident Evil: Revelations 2 ; Good mix for RE.
10. Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition ; Slightly disappointed in this, but it still deserves a spot on my list. While I appreciated some of the humor in the world, I found myself wanting to skip through dialogue almost immediately into the game, and I don't do that in games. I just didn't care about anyone or anything story wise here. Luckily the gameplay saved it. The leveling system felt a little too harsh in some ways. I would have liked a few more points to sprinkle around to be honest.

Honorable Mentions
x. Bloodborne ; I sadly haven't played this enough to know where it would land. What I have played, I did not enjoy as much as DeS, DS 1, or DS 2 though.

Kind of a meh gaming year for me. I didn't get to play as many as I would have liked either.

1. Xenoblade Chronicles X ; I thought that it would a long time before a game gripped me a much a Xenoblade on Wii did. Never have I been so wrong.
2. Super Mario Maker ; I've never been that creative but I love designing my own levels and I can spend hours just playing through other people's creations. This was easily my GOTY until Xenoblade came out.
3. Splatoon ; I woke up at 4am to play a testfire and I've loved every moment since. Stay fresh!
4. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D ; I don't always like remakes but, when I do, it's for one of my favourite games ever.
5. Tales of Zestiria ; One of my favourite series make its Steam debut and not a moment too soon.
6. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt ; A worthy third instalment to a fantastic series of games.
7. Kirby and the Rainbow Curse ; I didn't expect much from this but I loved every second of it. There's so much charm oozing from every piece of this delightful experience.
8. Xenoblade Chronicles 3D ; I'm really feeling it!
9. Disney Infinity 3.0 ; I was sceptical about how much gameplay was in a toys to life game but this kept me hooked and really made me feel like I was in the Star Wars universe.
10. Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition ; The original version was very hard and I never finished it but this is a huge improvement to an already fantastic game.

1. Mad Max ; fun gameplay, stunning open world, Mad Max
2. Metal Gear Solid V The Phantom Pain ; Metal Gear, open world, dozens of hours put in
3. Bloodborne ; fuck it that game is scary
4. Just Cause 3 ; explosions :)
5. Hotline Miami 2 ; soundtrack, soundtrack, worse than 1, soundtrack, brilliant story
6. Need for Speed ; closest thing to Underground 3 we'll ever get
7. Splatoon ; fun, just fun
8. Assassin's Creed Syndicate ; ayyyy lmao (Unity 2)
9. Grim Fandango Remastered ; so good it's on the list even though it's a remaster
10. Life is Strange ; feels :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom