• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year Awards 2005

Wollan

Borys said:
Strategy Game of The Year is a fucking joke, Console-Age Forums indeed.

I agree.

And how can Fire-emblem win GameCube GOTY and RE4 not(when it won overall GOTY)?

God of War >>> DMC3.

Im overall very pleased with the awards though.

Deg

Banned
DMC3 is great. I am playing it right now. It gets my recommendation. Capcom are great right now.

BF2 should have won GOTY but this forum is strongly console orientated hence RE4. RE4 fully deserves its console GOTY status.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Wollan said:
I agree.

And how can Fire-emblem win GameCube GOTY and RE4 not(when it won overall GOTY)?

God of War >>> DMC3.

because it would have been pretty redundant if RE4 won in the PS2 and GC category.

AniHawk

Wollan said:
I agree.

God of War >>> DMC3.

Consoles were decided by exclusives. If TP wins next year, then it'll appear on both GC and Overall

Miburou

Good thing no one voted for Curse of Darkness. As a Konami fan, I'm really insulted.

Also strange that WE9 won sports game of the year, considering it's not even out yet in NA.

AniHawk

Miburou said:
Good thing no one voted for Curse of Darkness. As a Konami fan, I'm really insulted.

Also strange that WE9 won sports game of the year, considering it's not even out yet in NA.
Europower.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Weren't there more then two puzzle games better then Zoo Keeper released this year?

ourumov said:
DMC3 deserves [a higher spot] a lot more than GOW...I feel sorry for Capcom. An awesome game that didn't receive enough support.

I think it did fine. Majority reviews are in the 9+'s, sold about the same as RE4 (1.3 million), DMC4 is on the way with (imo) Capcom's most talented studio behind (studio 4) and it's exclusive so we know it's built for the PS3 ground up. You always have the special edition for those who didn't like it/skip on it cus' it being 'too hard' or whatnot.

Amir0x said:
I thought my list was good, C-Warrior :9

I just got done playing some Shadow of the Collosus, so I really don't feel like figuring any more shit out in life...

So I'll be blunt:

What IN THE FUCK are you talking about? ;p

Amir0x

Banned
C- Warrior said:
I just got done playing some Shadow of the Collosus, so I really don't feel like figuring any more shit out in life...

So I'll be blunt:

What IN THE FUCK are you talking about? ;p

now i don't know what you're talking about

you did or didn't like SotC?

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Wow. I know it's been said before but when we do stuff like this you can really tell that most people either only have a PS2 or spend most of thier time with it.

The list looks really good though. Can't really dispute something like this. Votes are votes.

Good job man.

Amir0x

Banned
Truelize said:
Wow. I know it's been said before but when we do stuff like this you can really tell that most people either only have a PS2 or spend most of thier time with it.

The list looks really good though. Can't really dispute something like this. Votes are votes.

Good job man.

I'm not sure I understand. Why wouldn't PS2 have the most games on the list? It has the most third party support and thus is more likely to have a larger group of quality games. Xbox and Gamecube had shit years by comparrison too.

Juice

I approve.

Either GAF has good taste in games or has transformed my opinion of them to get in line over the last year via herd instinct.

Doesn't matter why, as I walk away pleased. Nonetheless.

Borys

Banned
Juice said:
I approve.

Either GAF has good taste in games or has transformed my opinion of them to get in line over the last year via herd instinct.

Doesn't matter why, as I walk away pleased. Nonetheless.

GAF has a slight* skew for japanese PS2 and Nintendo stuff.

As I said - I only find the Strat. GOTY fucking pathetic, (almost) everything else is spot on.

What a nice forum this is :)

Amir0x said:
now i don't know what you're talking about

you did or didn't like SotC?

Well, was that your original question? Cus the whole reason I brought up SOTC was a joke, in that you have to use your head to figure things out, and by playing it so much I didn't feel like figuring things out, aka your original post that praises your game list selection...god damn shits lost in translation right now ;p

Well, as for SOTC (might as well spark a discussion on it), I'm not that impressed.

I played the first two collosi, and I really enjoyed it. So much that when people ask me what my GOTY list is, SOTC gets included simply because I like the first parts so much.

So I stopped playing cus of a busy week. And started again today.

And I don't know, the whole "grand visual appeal" is beginning to wear thin, so the whole 'on horse mash X' till you get to where the light points is starting to annoy (imo). I just want to get to the damn collosi.

But then, it's like--the battles are just a little too vague that you 'barely' can't figure out what to do, but when the 'powers that be' give you a hint--THEY GIVE TOO MUCH of a hint.

And then climbing the actual collosi is more or less the same. Hold R1, move around, stab--rinse repeat.

I don't think I've ever played a game that started out a 10/10 and then literally drops a point per hour of additional play =/

I've beaten 5 collosi, hopefully the rest are really great so that I can 'understand' why GAF consideres this PS2 GOTY.

I love the art, but--art can't carry a game by itself imo.

Amir0x

Banned
well I'm not surprised by peoples reservations with the game. it's a love or hate thing definitely

i loved it, but you weren't impressed. no bad. Of course, you didn't really think DMC3 would win did you? GAF ain't that hardcore. :p

Amir0x said:
well I'm not surprised by peoples reservations with the game. it's a love or hate thing definitely

i loved it, but you weren't impressed. no bad. Of course, you didn't really think DMC3 would win did you? GAF ain't that hardcore. :p

Well, I don't hate SoTC, actually I just beat the lake collosi and the small lizard looking one, those were fun. I can see why it gets GOTY. But I don't think it's my GOTY.

Especially from that sand-snake collosi. I tried like 5 times, can't figure it out. About to give up =/

Amir0x

Banned
C- Warrior said:
Well, I don't hate SoTC, actually I just beat the lake collosi and the small lizard looking one, those were fun. I can see why it gets GOTY. But I don't think it's my GOTY.

Especially from that sand-snake collosi. I tried like 5 times, can't figure it out. About to give up =/

hehehe, figuring it out is half the fun. Sand Snake is actually one of the easier ones, I can beat it sooooo fast. Once you figure it out you'll do it one-two-three.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Amir0x said:
I'm not sure I understand. Why wouldn't PS2 have the most games on the list? It has the most third party support and thus is more likely to have a larger group of quality games. Xbox and Gamecube had shit years by comparrison too.

Well if the majority of people on GAF own PS2's (possibly their only system even) than the majority of votes will go to the best games on PS2. Pretty simple I thought.
I find these lists a bit humorous. Mario Kart DS a game that is just a re-release with added features is the third best release this year?? I find that hard to believe.

Like I said though, it's hard to debate a list that was voted on. I just don't understand how certain games get so much love. But it's all opinion. And mine is different I guess.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Truelize said:
Well if the majority of people on GAF own PS2's (possibly their only system even) than the majority of votes will go to the best games on PS2. Pretty simple I thought.
I find these lists a bit humorous. Mario Kart DS a game that is just a re-release with added features is the third best release this year?? I find that hard to believe.

Like I said though, it's hard to debate a list that was voted on. I just don't understand how certain games get so much love. But it's all opinion. And mine is different I guess.
Played it?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Truelize said:

Mario Kart is far from a re-release and totally deserves DS GOTY IMO.

Johnas

I just stumbled into this thread, and I heartily concur with most of the choices on the list. At the end of the day, I think we can all say it's been a great year for gaming.

Now, bring on 2006. As soon as I finish my backlog. Oh wait...

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Well no guys I have not played more than one level in Mario Kart DS so I can't give you my impression for the entire game. But it's still just Mario Kart in my eyes. I was a kid when Mario Kart first came out and I can remember the battles I used to have with my friends with that game and then later on the N64. But now I just can't get excited about it anymore. I want my racing games to be about cars I would like to own.
The game didn't feel any different from the other Mario Kart games I've played that's all.

It's still a good list.

AniHawk

Truelize said:
Well no guys I have not played more than one level in Mario Kart DS so I can't give you my impression for the entire game. But it's still just Mario Kart in my eyes. I was a kid when Mario Kart first came out and I can remember the battles I used to have with my friends with that game and then later on the N64. But now I just can't get excited about it anymore. I want my racing games to be about cars I would like to own.
The game didn't feel any different from the other Mario Kart games I've played that's all.

It's still a good list.

Yeah, I think it's pretty safe to say you don't know what you're talking about.

All racing games are about going around in circles. But that would be a generalization. And those are bad, mmmkay?

AniHawk said:
Yeah, I think it's pretty safe to say you don't know what you're talking about.

All racing games are about going around in circles. But that would be a generalization. And those are bad, mmmkay?

well it wouldnt be a genralization when talking about GT4. I mean due to there being no AI at all the cars really do just Drive in circles. There is no actual RACING in that game at all. :)

ppl should stop complaing about mario kart being on the list....i mean atleast you actually RACE in mario kart.

Amir0x

Banned
Truelize said:
Well if the majority of people on GAF own PS2's (possibly their only system even) than the majority of votes will go to the best games on PS2. Pretty simple I thought. I find these lists a bit humorous. Mario Kart DS a game that is just a re-release with added features is the third best release this year?? I find that hard to believe.

Well first of all, everytime we have one of them GAF "system camp" votes Sony is not that far ahead of Nintendo OR Microsoft, so I wouldn't think too hard about it.

The fact is, though, ya know PS2 has the most third party support. It far and away had the most exclusives this year, and Xbox was winding down due to 360 and Gamecube was an absolute mess. Where exactly did you expect the votes to go? It's not about bias. When you have the most content, you're more likely to land quality titles that people would play. I just don't understand why that's a "weird" thing to comment on.

And DS surprised EVERYONE this year, so I don't think that's weird either. Obviously Mario Kart is a classic favorite, so seeing it return to form is somewhat of a nice thing. Don't you think?

Tony HoTT

Banned
This is a pretty good list. The only awards I don't quite agree with is the strategy games. I would have picked AOE3 or Civ4 over AWDS.

Also Meteos >>>> Lumines by farrrrrrrrrrr. I'm disappointed GAF doesn't see how shallow Lumines is in comparison. Adding pretty colors and techno music to a contrived tetris formula shouldn't get you an award for puzzle game of the year.

Damn good list. Goes to show ya that for all the fanboy bitching and fighting at the end of the day people here do play good games. And especially I'm glad Killer 7 got something. Thanks for doing that Anihawk.

Reilly

C- Warrior said:
And then climbing the actual collosi is more or less the same. Hold R1, move around, stab--rinse repeat.

oh please. any game can be broken down the same way to make it sound just as boring.

calder

I'd like to add a posthumous vote for Mercenaries . Sure, RE4 is a better game and I would have to admit to liking SotC a bit more but I'm playing through Mercenaries again and it is, by far, the one new series I'm dying to play more of on the next-gen consoles.

That is a pretty damn good list though. GAF's good meta-taste, ftw.

Ristamar

I would have enjoyed Mercenaries much more if the missions had more variety. After the first two suits, the game started to feel extremely repetitive. Quite a few of the weapons were near worthless, and using stealth in the game (beyond faction disguises) was also mostly useless. Still, overall, it is a very good game.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Doom_Bringer said:
RE4 is not GOTY, its a good game but GOTY? Give a break, I vote for battlefield 2

You could've chosen a better game than Battlefield 2 if you were trying to downplay RE4. :p

Speevy

Banned
RE4 may be the best game of 2005, but I'd like to think that the overall quality of games really increased in the 11 months since its release.

Top Bottom