• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year Awards 2005

Pimpbaa

Doom_Bringer said:
RE4 is not GOTY, its a good game but GOTY? Give a break, I vote for battlefield 2

I dunno about RE4, but Battlefield 2? Any game that yet again uses the realistic war theme should be automatically disqualified for be so god damn unoriginal. Can't believe people voted mario kart racing game of the year (and runner up for overall GOTY, or even freakin DS GOTY). It's a good game, but jeez the game is only fun in multiplayer.

Pimpbaa said:
I dunno about RE4, but Battlefield 2? Any game that yet again uses the realistic war theme should be automatically disqualified for be so god damn unoriginal. Can't believe people voted mario kart racing game of the year (and runner up for overall GOTY, or even freakin DS GOTY). It's a good game, but jeez the game is only fun in multiplayer.

Have you even played the game? I just don't think that games that are great the first time around (RE4 or God of War) and have no replay value what-so-ever deserve to be nominated GOTY.

Deg

Banned
Pimpbaa said:
I dunno about RE4, but Battlefield 2? Any game that yet again uses the realistic war theme should be automatically disqualified for be so god damn unoriginal.

Shows how much you've played the game.

pollo

Banned
Doom_Bringer said:
Have you even played the game? I just don't think that games that are great the first time around (RE4 or God of War) and have no replay value what-so-ever deserve to be nominated GOTY.

RE:4 with no replay value?
You sir are speaking out of your ass. RE:4 has the most replay value of any game I've played this year.

I have to say that is one of the best GotY lists I have ever seen. I am becoming happier and happier that I have joined this forum.

Only comment I have is Meteos>>>>Lumines

I mean, c'mon you get to blow up planets :D

Nameless

I didn't think a game could overtake RE4 as my GOTY, but I've been playing the hell out of DQVIII over the last couple of days and its getting damn close; what an amazing game this is.

Deg

Banned
Kabuki Waq said:
BF2 is only good in multiplayer when you have decent amount of ppl working together. That shit is rare.

Its fun whatever way you play it but yeah the larger amount of players the better since everyone is catered for.

Pimpbaa

Deg said:
You're so dumb. Why dont you go play the games and see if they indeed are the same games.

Why would I want to buy a game with a theme I hate? If it was some sci fi theme or something, maybe I'd give it a shot.

Deg

Banned
Pimpbaa said:
Why would I want to buy a game with a theme I hate? If it was some sci fi theme or something, maybe I'd give it a shot.

Listen to yourself. You are saying a war themed game shouldnt get GOTY. Especially as you say its so unoriginal. Maybe just maybe themes have just a little bearing and variation on the game type they are? ;)

Pimpbaa

Deg said:
Listen to yourself. You are saying a war themed game shouldnt get GOTY. Especially as you say its so unoriginal. Maybe just maybe themes have just a little bearing and variation on the game type they are? ;)

The game itself may be great (i'm not denying that). But to have yet another game with the same damn theme is inexcusable. Just shows that the developer isn't willing to take risks developing a game that isn't pandering to whatever is most popular at the moment.

Deg

Banned
Pimpbaa said:
The game itself may be great (i'm not denying that). But to have yet another game with the same damn theme is inexcusable. Just shows that the developer isn't willing to take risks developing a game that isn't pandering to whatever is most popular at the moment.

The game plays differently and its a multiplayer only game. They took enough risks with the content. Given that its multiplayer unless its based on something recognizable no one will take notice.

Pimpbaa

Deg said:
The game plays differently and its a multiplayer only game. They took enough risks with the content. Given that its multiplayer unless its based on something recognizable no one will take notice.

Multiplayer is usually the only thing that sells on PC at the moment. It's hardly a risk. Also, wasn't the first battlefield popular? If a game has to based on something recognizable (world wars or modern combat), then I fear for originality in future pc games.

Deg

Banned
Pimpbaa said:
Multiplayer is usually the only thing that sells on PC at the moment. It's hardly a risk. Also, wasn't the first battlefield popular? If a game has to based on something recognizable (world wars or modern combat), then I fear for originality in future pc games.

I guess it depends on what you feel is more important themes or gameplay?

Pimpbaa

Deg said:
I guess it depends on what you feel is more important themes or gameplay?

Gameplay will always be important to me. But the theme of the game can really repel me or draw me in. Something I really can't ignore.

Solid

Pimpbaa said:
I agree with this post. Plus BF2 is a EA game, which makes it impossible to be GOTY. Sorry BF2 fans :)

Man, I'm shocked by SotC. I feel super jaded since I beat the game and actually felt pissed that I paid full-price for it.
I don't know, I feel like people are jumping on the SotC bandwagon because they "missed out" on the cool-gamers-play-Ico phenomenon that happened a while back.

Don't get me wrong, I've been pretty satisfied with this year's "GAF recommendations":

RE4
Lumines
God of War
Guitar Hero

But Shoot me, stone me, whatever - I shrugged after playing SotC.

Top Bottom