• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop 2011+ |OT| of Listening to Classics (Not f&$@ing U-God)

Status
Not open for further replies.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Detox said:
Just reminded me I made this gif with my terrible gif making skills for this thread but never got to use it :(

u-mad5fnv.gif

Oh and in memory of the 16 bar killer you have to watch this video 4:00 onwards greatest fight scene ever

fucking brilliant haha

siddx

Also Blackace, I wouldn't mind another set like "foryoufromace". There are times i just want to turn off my brain (and in some cases taste) and just blast some poppy hiphop/RnB shit like you'd hear in a club.

siddx

Miri said:
2780878734-1.jpg

Two Blunts & a Gent - The Rejects

To go along with WCW, Strong ass lyricism, bombastic ass production... Yeah, this shit is dirty as fuck. Check it.

Free over at Bandcamp

'Easy Money,' 'The Legend,' and 'Imperial Fear' are my fav tracks.

This is very good, download this you pieces of shit.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Detox said:
Both Dre albums are complete. Pretty much introduces new sounds and then sticks a middle finger up at everyone because the album already perfected everything possible in that soundscape. This is probably partly why he is so hesitant to release Detox, people expecting a 50 year old man living off headphones and Em to drop a game changing album.
tmdorsey said:
This man knows what he's talking about. Other complete albums for me are Enter the 36 Chambers and It Takes a Nation of Millions. Amerikkka's Most Wanted comes pretty close also.

Ummm the Chronic and 2001 had some pretty meh songs on it.. The highs were better than almost anything but I skip too many songs on the albums to call the complete albums

36 Chambers is same for me, I have always said I never really jived with it tho..

It takes a million is a great great great album.. Can't say anything about that

Amerikkka's most wanted has the same issues as Chronic to me..

Blackace

siddx said:
Also Blackace, I wouldn't mind another set like "foryoufromace". There are times i just want to turn off my brain (and in some cases taste) and just blast some poppy hiphop/RnB shit like you'd hear in a club.

Gotcha! I can make those in my sleep!

Macca

Blackace said:
Ummm the Chronic and 2001 had some pretty meh songs on it.. The highs were better than almost anything but I skip too many songs on the albums to call the complete albums

36 Chambers is same for me, I have always said I never really jived with it tho..

I definitely agree about 2001. After Let's Get High it really falls off for me, in comparison to the rest of the album of course. It just starts so strong.

I think Straight Outta Compton would be pretty close for me. Don't think there's any songs on there I actively skip.

Detox

I enjoy the whole album, although I haven't played the whole album through for a while I still listen to all the tracks on rotation equally. Would go as far to say the first half Still Dre and some of the others get so much play elsewhere that I prefer The Message, Bang Bang, Murder Ink, Some L.A. Niggaz when they do come up. The Message feels like a song from the heart until you see Finesse produced it and Royce wrote it...

siddx

Blackace said:

I've heard you say this before, I was curious which songs of Chronic you thought were meh. There a few songs other people seem to dislike that I love (n**** with a gun for instance, which has one of my favorite drum loops ever).
2001 has a very weak second half, first half is amazing though. And I always thought 2001 had an odd lack of good bass. Most of it doesn't really rattle.

Not a huge fan of It takes a million actually, I much prefer fear of a black planet. I'm not a huge Chuck D fan in general to be honest, I love PE's production (well I should say bomb squad production) and I respect the hell out of Chuck D. But his style never really clicked with me 100%. Still made some amazing songs, fight the power gets me hype from the first second it comes on.

And I agree about AMW, some weak spots. Death Certificate is just so much more solid to the point I can listen from start to finish without hitting FF once.

36 chambers took nearly a decade to click with me all the way. I actually got it as a gift right after I bought Wu-Forever. I hated Wu-Forever as I was still largely in West Coast mode in 97, so I didn't even bother with 36 chambers for a good 6 months to give it the first listen.
Now though, it's another song that I love from start to finish.

Scarface's Untouchable, Illmatic, and Doggystyle are some of the only others I can listen all the way through without skipping. There are more but I can't think right now.

Funnily enough my favorite album of all time behind illmatic (atmosphere's when life gives you lemons) has one track I skip every single time, but the rest is just so good it doesn't matter. So you don't have to have a no skip album to be a classic really).

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
2001 is so good I've convinced myself even the mediocre parts are fantastic. It's top 3 of all time for me. I usually knock albums for lack of cohesiveness, but the highs are so high on 2001 I can't care to rate it any less.

EDIT: So is no one making the OT3...?

siddx

enzo_gt said:
2001 is so good I've convinced myself even the mediocre parts are fantastic. It's top 3 of all time for me. I usually knock albums for lack of cohesiveness, but the highs are so high on 2001 I can't care to rate it any less.

EDIT: So is no one making the OT3...?

We gonna ride this bitch till the wheels fall off

kamspy

I'm also curious about Machete Vision. I didn't like the MC not named Action Bronson on the single at all.

Is he more bearable when not in the presence of greatness? Also, Y I gotta wait for Black and Brown. :( It just sits there on Amazon throwing snippets at me. Gotta dig that soundcloud link back up.

MarQ Spekt holds his own IMO. Nothing special, but he doesn't drag the project down by any means. Kno's production is obviously the star, but the verses are solid enough.

PBY

Banned
kamspy said:
I'm also curious about Machete Vision. I didn't like the MC not named Action Bronson on the single at all.

Is he more bearable when not in the presence of greatness? Also, Y I gotta wait for Black and Brown. :( It just sits there on Amazon throwing snippets at me. Gotta dig that soundcloud link back up.
Spekt is the definition of average. He can't hold his own against the beats imho.

Either way, album is still awesome, love the concept.

CRS

Machete Vision is just an appetizer for the main course, Chico and the Man. Three Kno albums in one year, amazing.

I'm still enjoying the album a lot though. And I really wish the album has a physical release. Would love to have the cover on vinyl or a poster.

Blackace

Macca007 said:
I definitely agree about 2001. After Let's Get High it really falls off for me, in comparison to the rest of the album of course. It just starts so strong.

I think Straight Outta Compton would be pretty close for me. Don't think there's any songs on there I actively skip.

S.O.C. is damn near close.. some of the production didn't age too well tho.. And some aged really.. like If it ain't Ruff..

Blackace

siddx said:
I've heard you say this before, I was curious which songs of Chronic you thought were meh. There a few songs other people seem to dislike that I love (n**** with a gun for instance, which has one of my favorite drum loops ever).
2001 has a very weak second half, first half is amazing though. And I always thought 2001 had an odd lack of good bass. Most of it doesn't really rattle.

The Chronic doesn't have a the weakness that plauged 2001.. the beats are great throughout the album for sure but personally Lil Ghetto, Day the Ni@@az took over, and High powered (unless I am in a car with mad speakers) all get skipped without even the "oh this beat is funky...too bad Lady of rage fucked it up" head nod from me..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom