• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVI| Build a Wall (of Better Top 20 Albums)

Status
Not open for further replies.

IrishNinja

‪#‎big20years‬

Various_Artists_Notorious_Big_Mixtape_rip_di-front-large.jpg

GOAT

Don't care how old it is, Ghost killed new god flow. Vintage. We need more of that.

link pls

I created a topic, shame on yall for not reppin' and making a topic.

they're locking down other threads, and i can't post in yours cause it's a Syphon Filter thread

LMAO Quavo really used the "I've worked with Frank" cover.
Quavo seesaws between woke and… not so woke. […] He also caught flack when, in a Rolling Stone profile, he seemed to suggest iLoveMakonnen’s coming out as gay somehow gave the lie to the Atlanta MC’s lyrics about selling coke and Molly.

Talking to Quavo, it’s clear he’s not outright homophobic. “If you real from the heart, you real from the heart,” he says. “That ain’t got nothing to do with no sex or gender. It’s 2017, and we all living.” But he still doesn’t quite seem to get it. “When [Makonnen’s] music came out I thought it was hard, so if he would’ve come out the same way…” He pauses. “I got a record with Frank Ocean [“Slide,” a Calvin Harris track featuring Migos and Ocean]. That closes my case.”

Koozek

CT I only played halfway through and then discovered CC and finished that first, so there's also the nostalgia-factor and the wow-factor of having these beautiful visuals and amazing music that makes it so special to me personally. CT is an absolute gem, of course, and pretty much perfect pacing-wise. Not too long, no filler.

Moonkid

Quavo needs to sort some of his shit out lol, dude proudly says he's "going to Thailand with his chinks" on a track off Culture. I wonder if anyone's called him out on it yet, maybe he'll mention the Pick up the Phone video.

Keith Murray - The Most Beatifullest Thing in this world
Smif N Wessun - Dah Shinin
Mobb Deep - The Infamous

Go for it
Awesome! This'll keep me busy for a while.

Vorheez

That entire Migos/Makonnen thing bothers the hell out of me.

There is a big difference between correction and condemnation, as well as ignorance and intention. The world we live in so reactionary that instead of correcting Migos on statements they made in their ignorance about the subject, we instead attempt to condemn them because of how we perceived their intention. We live in a world where you can't make mistakes. If you have a slip of the tongue, even if you never intended to hurt or disparage someone, you better be ready to suffer some serious consequences if you're in the public's eye.

I mean, thankfully someone *corrected Migos and told them they should apologize, because that could have very quickly damaged their newfound success and forever been associated with their brand and music.

You guy's should check out Clock Radio Speakers podcast, they just had a great two part episode on Swizz Beats and Just Blaze (each episode is a two part episode, Side A and B).

HiResDes

That entire Migos/Makonnen thing bothers the hell out of me.

There is a big difference between correction and condemnation, as well as ignorance and intention. The world we live in so reactionary that instead of correcting Migos on statements they made in their ignorance about the subject, we instead attempt to condemn them because of how we perceived their intention. We live in a world where you can't make mistakes. If you have a slip of the tongue, even if you never intended to hurt or disparage someone, you better be ready to suffer some serious consequences if you're in the public's eye.

I mean, thankfully someone *corrected Migos and told them they should apologize, because that could have very quickly damaged their newfound success and forever been associated with their brand and music.
I don't think morality is rocket science, this wasn't a case of mistaken pronoun usage or something like that, but rather questioning the legitimacy of an artist's work based upon their sexuality, which is something that might have went unchecked in the 90s but certainly will not stand now for any artist pining for mainstream success today. I don't think calling them out on it a crucifixion, and the anti PC backlash is idiotic in almost any situation outside of comedy. I'm not surprised by what they said all but I'm also not surprised by the backlash.

Oooh, good ones. Love Bucktown, Stand Strong, and Temperature's Rising on those albums.
After recommending Dah Shinin I popped it on Spotify and played it through at work, my favorite back and forth group and love their style intertwining reggae type vibes and slang into their work.

Wontime
Sound Bwoy burial
Partners in Crime
Let's Git it on
I can go on and on but one song that's not on the album but a remix is hot fire with a familiar beat.

"I'm coping with me and my habits
Copping that Coco to enhance the cabbage
Timbs of all seasons for ass kicking reasons"

Wrecknonize
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o0C_yPcJzYo

IrishNinja

+1 hopeful for Ross

I don't think morality is rocket science, this wasn't a case of mistaken pronoun usage or something like that, but rather questioning the legitimacy of an artist's work based upon their sexuality, which is something that might have went unchecked in the 90s but certainly will not stand now for any artist pining for mainstream success today. I don't think calling them out on it a crucifixion, and the anti PC backlash is idiotic in almost any situation outside of comedy. I'm not surprised by what they said all but I'm also not surprised by the backlash.

well fuckin said, especially the bolded

Old school heads, 80's rappers Greg Nice & Positive K dropped a new album.

for real? any impressions on it?

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh

In a world where rick ross can become a gangsta rapper, someone being gay doesnt mean they cant do the stuff they rap about

Its such an odd comment by migo's

Dope, just downloaded them to my Spotify.

Sweet man, tell me what you think

Koozek

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Take me on them trips, I'm used to shit
Leave your girl where she at, I ain't with that groupie shit
I be in-my-lane, how much money I done spent?
Hundred K-K-K, bitch I'm super stupid rich
My boys will snatch-your-chain, just to come up on them licks
But I might let-you-slide, cause I ain't no set off bitch

piano-playing-animated-gif-54.gif

Zaytoven snapped on Shinin' Like My Rollie, whew. Tracy T and Dej Loaf complement each other so damn well on it and both ride the beat immaculately. Shit has been on repeat for days.

Vorheez

In a world where rick ross can become a gangsta rapper, someone being gay doesnt mean they cant do the stuff they rap about

Its such an odd comment by migo's

I didn't intend for this to be a discussion on morality. It's obvious that judging people according to their sexuality is morally wrong, but I also think that there is a morally correct way on how to approach those who hold harmful beliefs.

You think a comment about the perceived inconsistencies between homosexuality and masculinity made by three rappers who were raised on the streets of Atlanta is odd? I think it's the furthest thing from it. Are those comments inappropriate? Obviously, but they weren't commenting on Makonnen's sexuality as being inherently bad, instead they were questioning the "honesty" of his music because of his sexuality. Although we understand (as fairly educated people) that a person can be gay and do the same things as anyone else, this is still not common knowledge. A lot of people still consider gay people to be stereotypically feminine. These traits are incompatible with the type of people Migos were surrounded by growing up, especially those who were trapping and selling molly as Makonnen proclaims he did. I wouldn't be surprised if Migos have never encountered a gay person growing up in Atlanta because of the stigma associated with coming out. It's still unfortunate that some people would rather hide their sexuality than risk being ostracized.

Migos grew up in a place where in order to live as a trapper, selling molly and dope, you need to be tough, rigid, and cold. You need to embody the stereotypical masculine ideal, and this is why their music consists of so many masculine tones. The act of trapping and being "manly" are fairly synonymous. There are no gay people running trap houses and selling molly in Migos' world. They genuinely don't understand that, and don't consider gay people to be able to handle that lifestyle because they aren't "built" for it. They're too "soft." Without further education or having someone tell you otherwise, Migos can only act as reflections of their environment and experiences. What they said is as true to them in that interview as it is true to us that what they said was inappropriate. When Makonnen came out as gay, they took that information, applied it to their experience, and thought "well there is no way he was trapping then because gay people don't trap. We have never seen it, so it can't be true, therefore his music is dishonest." It makes sense to me why they said it, although it doesn't excuse it, and that's what I mean by not being so quick to jump down someone's throat for an inappropriate comment. Try to understand why they said it, make an attempt to correct them/educate them, and if they resist? Then we can talk about condemning them for it.

You can see that Quavo still doesn't quite understand this based on his recent comments, but that's not his fault. It's difficult. When youre made to believe something through decades of experience, you can't restructure your belief system over night. Belief perseverance is a bitch. This is no different than being raised to think that women are incapable of doing certain tasks, and then all of a sudden in your 20s people start telling you different. There will be resistance because it's directly contradicting your current worldview and that can be uncomfortable for anyone, even if their belief system is harmful. This is why religious people also vehemently defend their beliefs. It's all they've ever known and they'll be damned if someone tells them otherwise.

Basically, we just gotta be more patient with these guys. It's like that saying, "give me 5 minutes with any child and I can make him a racist, but it can take a lifetime to make a racist no longer racist." It's a good example of the strength of belief systems. They lived under very different circumstances and I don't feel they intended to hurt the gay community. Intent is everything.

HiResDes

Condemnation and correction aren't mutually exclusive. If they didn't receive the backlash they did they wouldn't have thought much of it or considered that they might indeed be in the wrong. Migos have worked with Young Thug, who is in all probability a heterosexual rapper who has no problem skewing gender codes and ideas of masculinity, yet no one dares question his trap legitimacy. It's not about a problem of exposure, they live in Atlanta, there are homosexual people of all walks of life there...They just chose to take a blind eye to at all until they were condemned.

Prodigy was at his peak on Hell on Earth. Havoc found his groove and perfected the style they started on The Infamous. Man Down and GOD pt III for example are some of my favourite beats ever.

The guest spots were incredible. Meth on Extortion for example.

Don't get me wrong, Infamous is classic, but for me Hell on Earth was a step above.

These two Mobb albums are what got me into hip hop.

Prodigy was at his peak on Hell on Earth. Havoc found his groove and perfected the style they started on The Infamous. Man Down and GOD pt III for example are some of my favourite beats ever.

The guest spots were incredible. Meth on Extortion for example.

Don't get me wrong, Infamous is classic, but for me Hell on Earth was a step above.

These two Mobb albums are what got me into hip hop.

It's been a while since I listened to that album, I should probably go back. THe Infamous still holds up, though. Beats are so good. I also tend to really LOVE Up North Trip, the music on that one is so atmospheric.

Right now I'm listening to Revived Power from SOTC. What a song.

Denzel Curry's King Of The Mischievous South is pretty enjoyable. I'm glad that people are reviving the Memphis sound, considering that I consider Triple Six to be my favorite rap group now (this based on their earlier material, primarily).

blanchot

Denzel Curry's King Of The Mischievous South is pretty enjoyable. I'm glad that people are reviving the Memphis sound, considering that I consider Triple Six to be my favorite rap group now (this based on their earlier material, primarily).

if you're into memphis, truly, you owe it to yourself, and that whole scene, to go beyond 3-6 and check out absurd amount of tapes. .which are handily available on youtube.

Ethelwulf has the better ode to Three 6

The Curry tape is enjoyable but nothing special. I've never heard of Ethelwulf but it won't hurt to check the dude out.

if you're into memphis, truly, you owe it to yourself, and that whole scene, to go beyond 3-6 and check out absurd amount of tapes. .which are handily available on youtube.

Yeah, this seems like the thing to do. Tons of old Memphis songs were sampled on Mista Thug Isolation and none of them were 3-6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom