• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVI| Build a Wall (of Better Top 20 Albums)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering Suge literally killed a man and has likely done worse things, yeah. Birdman's worst crimes are setting up a shell oil company to launder money through and doing bad things to Lil Wayne.
You don't think Birdmans killed people?
And he's abusing Lil Wayne, this isn't just "things".

UKhYe5Z.jpg

You don't think Birdmans killed people?
And he's abusing Lil Wayne, this isn't just "things".
I think Birdman's running a gang and uses his oil company as a shell to launder the profits from that. I also Suge in his prime was undoubtedly doing the same thing with Death Row Records.

And with Lil Wayne, we honestly don't know if Birdman actually abused Wayne, only just a series of sus pictures and a relationship where Wayne tries to get away from Birdman except for contract law stopping that. Is what he's doing to Wayne's legacy absolute shit? Yes, but let's be real here: even if Wayne released "The Carter V", the odds that it wouldn't have been very good are a hell of a lot better than it being a proper send off for a legend.

"Lil Yachty Joins Episode 114 of Everyday Struggle | Joe Budden & DJ Akademiks"

Jesus, Budden is super annoying here. Kudos to Yachty staying calm.

"I don't believe I'm the best artist. I do believe I'm doing the best business"

Kinda shocked he said that shit out loud lol. He's not wrong though. I don't like Sprite, but fuck if that dumb jingle still isn't stuck in my head. I could see him being the next big hip-hop entrepreneur. I don't remember what video I was watching on Atlanta rap, but his mom looks professional as hell. He definitely isn't as simple minded as his image comes off.

40 minutes into the Everyday Struggle vid...Joe is literally red, sweating, and the lady is furiously tapping the cards cause she secretly wants to slap Joe. Dude is clearly pissed that everyone in the room views him as an old head, while ironically acting dusty. It's funny and anger inducing at the same time. Incredible video.

FZZ

Banned
No but for real I think the significance and extremely high praise of the 90s is vastly overstated

90s had fantastic artists that left a great impact on hip hop: Nas, Jay, Puff, Snoop, Biggie, etc. but the amount of perfection people have set it up to be is one of the most annoying things about "OG Hip Hop fans" maybe it was because it coincided the whole 90s kids movement but it's hard to have people objectively look back at that era without inherent biases.

The biggest red flag, and I know there's plenty of die hard stans for him here, is Tupac. Honestly he had a good discography but his impact and influence is vastly overstated. 90% of "Pac fans" have only heard California Love or Changes, his hits were crazy good and the dude had an insane work ethic and released plenty of good albums. But he isn't the GOAT, nothing he ended up releasing was as good as Ready To Die. It's just annoying to see 90s hip hop as some bastion of perfection and have people shit on today's era as a result of it, my trolling in the other thread be damned. I'd go more in depth but I'm legit taking a dump rn after a long ass day and this is all I can write on my phone.

Also bounceounce it was a dope ass thread and thanks for sharing the twitter account, bunch of cool shit was on there.

riotous

Banned
It's nice people are posting music again; keep it up. Swear there was like 50 pages where barely any music was posted lol.

FZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz on the other hand... maybe some of ya'll should start another thread; "conversations about rhetorical groups of hip hop fans, also, ranking Kanye albums."

FZZ

Banned
It's nice people are posting music again; keep it up. Swear there was like 50 pages where barely any music was posted lol.

FZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz on the other hand... maybe some of ya'll should start another thread; "conversations about rhetorical groups of hip hop fans, also, ranking Kanye albums."

The three posts before me are of a matty b rip off

everyone is going crazy

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
No but for real I think the significance and extremely high praise of the 90s is vastly overstated

90s had fantastic artists that left a great impact on hip hop: Nas, Jay, Puff, Snoop, Biggie, etc. but the amount of perfection people have set it up to be is one of the most annoying things about "OG Hip Hop fans" maybe it was because it coincided the whole 90s kids movement but it's hard to have people objectively look back at that era without inherent biases.

The biggest red flag, and I know there's plenty of die hard stans for him here, is Tupac. Honestly he had a good discography but his impact and influence is vastly overstated. 90% of "Pac fans" have only heard California Love or Changes, his hits were crazy good and the dude had an insane work ethic and released plenty of good albums. But he isn't the GOAT, nothing he ended up releasing was as good as Ready To Die. It's just annoying to see 90s hip hop as some bastion of perfection and have people shit on today's era as a result of it, my trolling in the other thread be damned. I'd go more in depth but I'm legit taking a dump rn after a long ass day and this is all I can write on my phone.

Also bounceounce it was a dope ass thread and thanks for sharing the twitter account, bunch of cool shit was on there.
What I've enjoyed about being in my 20s is that the artists I listen to are no longer people older than me that I look up to, but contemporaries that I feel close to. I feel more connected to music than ever because of this, and it's so cool following people my age and sometimes even younger making music.

It also made me realise that when you get stubborn middle aged people being like, "[x] era is the best, everything after is shit, kids don't have taste", it's because [x] era was their time that they were the same age as the people they were listening to.

But they didn't keep up, so now they put music of that time on a pedestal and downplay anything that isn't made either by those same artists that have grown up with them, or artists that emulate that sound and "respect" it.

I hope the same doesn't happen to me, but they probably thought that too with the generation above them. Then again, my father still listens to current music and goes to gigs, and the dude just turned 60.

OG Kush

damn

I've been seeing Afro Trap and Dancehall being used synonymously recently. I hate Afrotrap, man. Hope it doesn't catch on too much and fades away quickly. Already every second German rapper is doing it (at least this time they're not 3 years late on a trend compared to France like they normally are, I give them that).

In the UK, I've even heard the term "Afrogrime".

Koozek

What I've enjoyed about being in my 20s is that the artists I listen to are no longer people older than me that I look up to, but contemporaries that I feel close to. I feel more connected to music than ever because of this, and it's so cool following people my age and sometimes even younger making music.

It also made me realise that when you get stubborn middle aged people being like, "[x] era is the best, everything after is shit, kids don't have taste", it's because [x] era was their time that they were the same age as the people they were listening to.

But they didn't keep up, so now they put music of that time on a pedestal and downplay anything that isn't made either by those same artists that have grown up with them, or artists that emulate that sound and "respect" it.

I hope the same doesn't happen to me, but they probably thought that too with the generation above them. Then again, my father still listens to current music and goes to gigs, and the dude just turned 60.
Haha, exactly my thoughts. So many of my friends turned into those people, lol. I always think to myself "I'm different, man, I will always stay current and open for the new generations!", but who knows, maybe I will become one of them too in my 40's 😱 I really love Hip-Hop right now. We're in a new Golden Era, imo.

In the UK, I've even heard the term "Afrogrime".
Today I learned that "Afrobeat" and "Afrobeats" are two different genres.

OG Kush

Today I learned that "Afrobeat" and "Afrobeats" are two different genres.

Whats the difference? I'm guessing its to do with the old style e.g. Fela Kuti. And the new style e.g. Wizkid?

I remember seeing a Vice documentary on PCP, and it featured a small section on this guy explaining he was under the influence of PCP, having religious visions, while he did this.... Yeah don't smoke PCP guys.

Nabs

I loved Mr. Smith. I remember the album sounding so good everywhere I'd play it. Shoutouts to soundmixing that didn't involve making everything super loud.

illadelph

Did people actually take LL serious as a hard rapper? I only knew him from his corny love songs. This Neptunes-produced track feat. Pharrell is classic, though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udEN8EdJT9k

LL was commonly considered a GOAT contender for much of his career. He came up known for his hardcore style and lyrical dexterity, only to move increasingly towards poppy love songs later on, which has now unfortunately become his lasting impression on the general public. He had love songs as part of his albums from the very beginning, and a lot of them are dope, but he started to become a caricature of himself in the 2000s.

I loved Mr. Smith. I remember the album sounding so good everywhere I'd play it. Shoutouts to soundmixing that didn't involve making everything super loud.

This can't be overstated. It's great to hear production that has a more natural sounding vibe to it.

Icolin

Banned

Thinking of making a thread about him, but I can imagine the dusty GAF grandpas shitposting within like 10 minutes, and I can't think of a title for the thread.

More people need to know about MATT OX though. Kid is harder than people twice his age, lmao.

I mean:

Gettin' all this money, need to put it in a binder

Spitin' fire like a lair and I'm just a minor

Koozek

Thinking of making a thread about him, but I can imagine the dusty GAF grandpas shitposting within like 10 minutes, and I can't think of a title for the thread.

More people need to know about MATT OX though. Kid is harder than people twice his age, lmao.
"MattOx is the Greatest Rapper of All Time And You’re Too Pro-Black to Admit It"

Exodust

Banned
she had written "Fuck my boyfriend" in her day planner earlier in the week, showed me and a couple of her friends.. then made a production of dragging me into a room at a party full of people as her friends cheered us on....it was about as literal as consent gets;

Lol who does this?

Budden really embarrassing himself. I get that the show is supposed to be like ESPN's First Take and thus Budden is the Stephen A of hip hop but jesus. He never sounds happy or even fun. Always sounds bitter and angry, and the yelling is just too much.

Koozek

I have absolutely no issue with passionate, heated debates on podcasts, but the yelling and constant interrupting were too much and the other guys seemed uncomfortable and annoyed. You can't carry a conversation like that. It's exhausting. He wasn't like this when I heard him on other podcasts before a few times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom