• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVI| Build a Wall (of Better Top 20 Albums)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know we all joked about meme rap and stuff a while back, but lyrically, with stuff like Twitter and IG driving promotion and word of mouth for music, I'm convinced at least the short term future of hip-hop is just memorable quotes. Stay Schemin', Back 2 Back, Mask Off (although this is more just a good hook), etc. there are many examples of songs that set fire to the world because of lines memorable for one reason or another.

Flow and melody-wise, it's hard to see it being pushed any further without becoming straight up R&B or pop. Thug and Fetty Wap are pretty much at that line. Hip-hop is still so young, IMO we're only just getting to a point where you can have both the more melodic and lyrical stuff coexist, so I don't know if we'll see a pendulum swing again as much as we'll just see things be able to stably coexist. Ditto for emo content, which basically is more pop stylings, and Drake has been doing in the mainstream for nearly a decade so it's hard to call that new when it's a good chunk of the entire history of rap already.

Production, on the other hand, will have styles come and go, I see it being a bit more cyclical in this regard. I have no idea what the next production wave is. Electronic stuff will come and go. Way too much of an energy clash for EDM, but for other electronic genres I think there's already overlap happening, even before Yeezus. TBH I think in the at some point or another in the future we're in for more live guitar-infused and rock-inspired wave. Out kids will be listening to Party Like A Rockstar type shit.
That's interesting. I hadn't really thought of it in terms of hooks, but you are right: the stuff that lasts longer in the public consciousness is the more hook-driven shit or even the stuff that can be "meme'd" into popularity. Say what you want about Drake, but the man really has tried to harness social media culture to self-promote his agenda. Artists like Uzi and Yachty have taken pages from that, by creating hook-filled songs that explode on social media or Black Twitter or by creating songs that can be memed.

Regarding genre conventions, I don't know if we'll see a true convergence of hip-hop and R&B. People like the Weeknd or Frank Ocean definitely straddle both worlds, with both creating songs where they rap or sing. But, I think R&B is overdue for a resurgence of its more classical stylings i.e. the stuff of D'Angelo. Hell, Hiatus Kaiyote got so much praise for being a more traditional R&B record as it set itself apart from the poppier nature of modern R&B. But I don't know if that audience even exists anymore for a resurgence to occur.

Production wise, I hope things turn to a more challenging electronic style. Yeezus is one of my favorite albums of all time, and I love the production work Kanye ended up doing during that period as well: Numbers on the Board, Lunch Money, and Nosetalgia have some phenomenal production to them. But, I can see things turning a bit more acoustic guitar, though I'm wary of what kind of music will come out of that wave. I hate the snippets of the new Thugger track, and I honestly hope that isn't the wave of the future.
I shit on Gucci On My when it came out but it's grown on me. Mike WiLL and 21 Savage did work on that track. If it didn't have YG on it I'd listen to it more often.

and u wrong it's either YuGo or Emotions Unlocked

It's Burnin. Andrea's a revalation on that track.

FZZ

Banned
I know we all joked about meme rap and stuff a while back, but lyrically, with stuff like Twitter and IG driving promotion and word of mouth for music, I'm convinced at least the short term future of hip-hop is just memorable quotes. Stay Schemin', Back 2 Back, Mask Off (although this is more just a good hook), etc. there are many examples of songs that set fire to the world because of lines memorable for one reason or another.

Flow and melody-wise, it's hard to see it being pushed any further without becoming straight up R&B or pop. Thug and Fetty Wap are pretty much at that line. Hip-hop is still so young, IMO we're only just getting to a point where you can have both the more melodic and lyrical stuff coexist, so I don't know if we'll see a pendulum swing again as much as we'll just see things be able to stably coexist. Ditto for emo content, which basically is more pop stylings, and Drake has been doing in the mainstream for nearly a decade so it's hard to call that new when it's a good chunk of the entire history of rap already.

Production, on the other hand, will have styles come and go, I see it being a bit more cyclical in this regard. I have no idea what the next production wave is. Electronic stuff will come and go. Way too much of an energy clash for EDM, but for other electronic genres I think there's already overlap happening, even before Yeezus. TBH I think in the at some point or another in the future we're in for more live guitar-infused and rock-inspired wave. Out kids will be listening to Party Like A Rockstar type shit.

I shit on Gucci On My when it came out but it's grown on me. Mike WiLL and 21 Savage did work on that track. If it didn't have YG on it I'd listen to it more often.

ENZO REAL AF

Koozek

Where do you think hip-hop goes from here?

Not just from XO Tour Llif3, but also from the sound created by trap and the fusion genres it's spawned. Music blogs and even Des here have mentioned how emo-rap is the next great frontier for trap music, with Lil Peep and even the occasional Uzi song being the premier faces of it. So, after emo-rap, where does it go?

Is Thug's country song an indicator for the future? Or are we headed to a more experimental electronic future like with that mythical Vince x SOPHIE track?

Just thought I'd pick all your minds instead of reposting XO lyrics.

Funny, I was thinking about the same thing recently and I somehow I thought that Rock/Guitar-sound could be the new thing in 10 years or so too because I can't think of anything else right now that hasn't been done in Hip-Hop (Electronica-infused stuff is nothing unusual at this point). Maybe a blend of Indie/Folk and Rap. Actually Post Malone has been doing something like that on a few songs. Looking forward to the Thugga album, the Country-ish snippet sounded fresh.

For the next few years I can see more Emo Trap/Trap Metal with a raw, overly distorted sound from cats who are also fans of Metal, Punk etc., like Uzi and XXX, yeah.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Meek Mill ft. Ty Dolla $ign & Chris Brown - Whatever You Need (Prod. by DJ Mustard). His next album is allegedly called Wins and Losses lol

Travi$ Scott - Way Back video, appropriately featuring James Harden. We needed a video for coordinate like yesterday fam. JAMES HARDEN WITH THE RANGE ON ME, N***A WAY BACK

Major Lazer ft. Travi$ Scott, Camila Cabello, & Qauvo - Know No Better. Off of a 6-track EP of theirs that just dropped.

Chief Keef - Going Home (Prod. by Hollywood J and CBMix). @Cheddahz @peterbwoi, I guess? This is.. something. Also off his album called Thot Breaker lmao.

Denzel Curry - Ultimate (BADBADNOTGOOD Remix) live performance video from BADBADNOTGOOD sessions. I'm not mad at this, remembered hating the remix when it came out.

Zaytoven ft. Twista, Bankroll Fresh & Yung LA – Pose To. Sounds like the vocals were recorded on a toilet paper roll. For Adult Swim, some details about this year's series:
This year’s Singles series will actually be running for a full 52 weeks, so look out for new music from the likes of MF DOOM and Jay Electronica, Your Old Droog, Run The Jewels, Thundercat, Migos, Knxwledge, Maxo Kream and others over the next several weeks and months.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Just a boy from Mars
And you're just a girl from Ve-nuuuuuus
Now it all makes sense
Because all you ever wanted was space bet-ween-ussssss

o0tpYkI.gif

My last girl
She looked like Aaliyah
She left me
Faster than a cheetah
She found out
That I was a cheater
I-I do not need ya!

Mayfair-to-Monaco-Supercar-Experience-by-exclusivegp.gif

Bitch from Ibiza, she look like Shakira
She gave me a boner, in Barcelona
We kicked it like Messi
Till our bedsheets got messy
Then I had to jetski

ku-xlarge.gif

Icolin

Banned
Just a boy from Mars
And you're just a girl from Ve-nuuuuuus
Now it all makes sense
Because all you ever wanted was space bet-ween-ussssss

o0tpYkI.gif

My last girl
She looked like Aaliyah
She left me
Faster than a cheetah
She found out
That I was a cheater
I-I do not need ya!

Mayfair-to-Monaco-Supercar-Experience-by-exclusivegp.gif

Bitch from Ibiza, she look like Shakira
She gave me a boner, in Barcelona
We kicked it like Messi
Till our bedsheets got messy
Then I had to jetski

ku-xlarge.gif

Nice Messi shoutout lmao.

We need more *soccer* references in hip hop.

Tokubetsu

Could y'all recommend me some albums from this year? Here are some songs to get you a feel of my tastes:

2Pac - Only God Can Judge Me
Three 6 Mafia - Fuck That Shit
Digable Planets - Rebirth of the Slick
Devin the Dude - Doobie Ashtray
Sahtyre - High
Oddisee - Out at Night
Outkast - Funky Ride
Kendrick Lamar - Feel
K-Murdock - Schala & I

Starlito - Manifest Destiny
Starlito & Don Trip - Step Brothers 3
Germ - Badshit (Bootleg)
Azizi Gibson - Memoirs of the Reaper

Koozek

Could y'all recommend me some albums from this year? Here are some songs to get you a feel of my tastes:

2Pac - Only God Can Judge Me
Three 6 Mafia - Fuck That Shit
Digable Planets - Rebirth of the Slick
Devin the Dude - Doobie Ashtray
Sahtyre - High
Oddisee - Out at Night
Outkast - Funky Ride
Kendrick Lamar - Feel
K-Murdock - Schala & I
Jonah Cruzz - Just To Get By

GoldLink - At What Cost

Smino - blkswn

Oddisee - The Iceberg

Joey Bada$$ - ALL-AMERIKKKAN BADA$$

Azizi Gibson - Memoirs of the Reaper

HiResDes

Forgive my skepticism of the Afro futurism label, when I hear that I think of artists dressed like Thundercat talking about cosmic signs intertwined with five percenter bullshit.

Catvoca

Banned
Big Fish Theory starts with the whoosh of clouds rushing past your face, as if you're soaring free, high above the concrete jungle of Summertime '06. Slowly, other elements drop into the soothing atmospherics: a skittish keyboard, a two-step beat, a woman's voice, lasers. The record ends in a flurry of electronic raindrops and Celtic flutes, not midsentence like Summertime '06 but mid-everything, leaving you waiting for a beat to drop.

In between are the two previously released songs, "BagBak" and "Big Fish" (both summer-ready bangers with anthemic choruses built for large sound systems), and a half dozen other tracks that sonically veer so far from anything that's come out of Staples' mind before that you'd almost think it's a different rapper's name on the cover. Lyrics don't take you back to Ramona Park, to the past; they reflect the reality of his current jet-set life (anxieties, esoteric struggles and all).

In fact, with glitchy-computer garage and fast-paced industrial wobble straight out of a 4 a.m. techno warehouse party, it's hard to consider Big Fish Theory a rap album at all.

"If a photographer took the same picture over and over again, you'd call them crazy, right? If an architect built the same house, if a designer made the same clothes, if a painter made the same painting — we'd all discredit them," Staples says of why he refuses to revisit old sounds.

"Then why do we expect musicians, and rappers specifically, to do the same thing over and over and over? It's because they do not look at rap music as art. They like to say the word, but they're not really holding anything to those standards."

Certainly sounds interesting. Vince hasn't let me down yet so I hope it's as good as I expect a project from him to be. Also worth mentioning with his Afro-futurism label that Vince might not even know what that means lol

he doesn't think in terms of genres (if you mention one, he'll quickly say, "I don't know what the fuck that is"),
Though I listened to Big Fish Theory in its entirety, no one would tell me the song titles, the producers who collaborated with Staples or whose voices I heard featured. Staples doesn't want anyone to read about the record first and put it on a pedestal before they hear it; he wants his listeners to be in the moment and decide if they like it as music, not as "Vince Staples featuring whoever" music.

"All I can tell you is that it's current. It's tomorrow. It's next Thursday," Staples says, only half joking. "We making future music. It's Afro-futurism. This is my Afro-futurism. There's no other kind."

Second half of Danny Brown's old is what got me a bit scared about these electro comments but I liked both singles he released so far so I'm still hyped for this one

Summertime 06 is gonna be hard to follow up tho

I would hope Vince Staples has better taste than to hop on some OLD style EDM.

I'm all the way down for Detroit techno inspired production though.

Icolin

Banned
Coming Out Strong (Future ft. The Weeknd) music video is out now (on Apple Music).

Second half of Danny Brown's old is what got me a bit scared about these electro comments but I liked both singles he released so far so I'm still hyped for this one

Summertime 06 is gonna be hard to follow up tho

The second half of Old isn't that bad. Some decent tracks in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom