• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVI| Build a Wall (of Better Top 20 Albums)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Numb

Great song, but this video is some Newgrounds flash animation garbage. Wack as fuck.

Original is simple i like it
Have you seen Mount Kushmore official vid?

giphy.gif

Also the amount of ass in that video can only exist in animation form

Bacon

If you told me Tyler's album would be my favorite at the beginning of this year I would have called you nuts, but I'm loving it.

Flower Boy
Damn
Droptopwop
At what cost
4:44

iavi

I listened to Tyler's album a couple times now and I'm able to respond to Consequence of Sound's take on it:

His persona isn't what bothers me but I also don't think the sound and subject matter really ever resonate with me. When I listen to it it's like I'm listening to Tyler rapping over production that sounds awfully similar to The Internet and current Frank Ocean. It's varied but I hear very little relation between the subject matter and some of the mid song tempo changes and slight experiments that seem to flutter throughout the album. The album's biggest problem is Tyler's constant reliance on humor and sarcasm nearly incessantly, which causes him to sound disingenuous at the most inopportune of times squandering moments of vulnerability and what little trust he's built with his listeners. I don't intend to tell Tyler to change his persona but rather I'm just explaining the disconnect I experience when trying to engage his work as an artist. Self loathing can be seen as an attempt to instill empathy in others but without any sense of real grief or pain behind it it almost seems as if you're poking fun at a version of yourself that is so fictionalized that it's not you at all. The persona in Tyler's music is like this gay clown, and it becomes hard to separate the confession of sexuality from the hijinks. It's why I enjoy the album more as background noise than on deeper listens.

I agree with this, especially echoing the sentiment that it sounds like a Frank album

Personally, it's the first album from him I've checked for since goblin and I only did that because of DEHHs review mentioning maturity--and they're right, he's absolutely matured into more than this cartoonish caricature of some weirdo kid--everything from the lyrics to the lush neptunes jr production reflecting that. And I appreciate it greatly: flower boy is definitely a good album. (Hell much better than Vince's latest, which I didn't think would happen)

And I only say good because of many of the same reservations you have: inconsistent tones leading to questionable is-it-fact-or-fiction quirps--garden shed being the one everyone's talking about, but more for me 911/mr.lonely--which is my favorite track and just as hard to read.

He sounds as if he's wrestling with an honest fucking lot in this--colorism, homophobia etc-- which just feels like it'd have more impact if he kept the tone consistent

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
More Life
Culture
Grateful
Ransom 2
At What Cost

not in that order
but More Life probably #1 and probably has the most hits of any Drake album TBH, IYRTITL cry your heart out whew so many summer anthems

iavi

Culture is one whole song done for 50 minutes and I enjoy half of it

This.

DAMN
All Amekkkan badass
Flowerboy
4:44

Those are the only ones I've had in rotation consistently since their releases.

A Jay album and a Tyler album topping my list so far. In 2017.

Shits crazy

The only new addition to my list from a few weeks back is the Doppelgangaz album which actually might be my favorite release this year because jesus christ I'm playing the thing front to back nonstop.

Do any of you write? Or do anything creatively?

I'm having trouble completing """thinkpieces""" and I was wondering what activities do you do to get yourself in that headspace to write or compose or whatever.

LionPride

Banned

I'm having trouble completing """thinkpieces""" and I was wondering what activities do you do to get yourself in that headspace to write or compose or whatever.

Anytime I wanna just sit down and hammer some shit out I listen to one song to keep me in the mood I wanna be in and go

Like whenever I wanna write sad poetry or something, I'll listen to Points or I Hope My Life by James Blake

iavi

I listen to downtempo instrumental music for everything--work, sleeping, cooking. Trip-hop etc, jazz-hop etc.

It's the perfect soundtrack to think through whatever block you may be hitting--that's creatively and even just at work if youre able to listen to music while working

Numb

Nier 1 OST
Good for literally everything
Except gym. That's Killer Instinct OST

riotous

Banned
I don't have a top 5; been listening to Mir Fontaine's Camden a lot this last month.. with some Beautiful Thugger Girls mixed in.

Icolin

Banned
The more I think about it, Yeezus legit may be my favorite album of the 2010s.

It's not my favourite (I'd take MBDTF over it any day), but it's certainly higher up there than most people would believe it would be. Never understood the hate for Yeezus.

One thing's for certain: Blood on the Leaves is Kanye's best song.

EDIT: Wish we could've gotten that David Lynch music video for Blood on the Leaves. Would've been incredible.

FZZ

Banned
Hippity Hop albums

or rappity rhymes?

More Life
Culture
Grateful
Ransom 2
At What Cost

not in that order
but More Life probably #1 and probably has the most hits of any Drake album TBH, IYRTITL cry your heart out whew so many summer anthems

Swap out Grateful and At What Cost for Droptopwop and 4:44 and we got ourselves a list

The more I think about it, Yeezus legit may be my favorite album of the 2010s.

Outside of Blood on the Leaves, Hold My Liquor, I'm In It, and New Slaves

that album is straight basura

LionPride

Banned
Hippity Hop albums

or rappity rhymes?

Swap out Grateful and At What Cost for Droptopwop and 4:44 and we got ourselves a list

Blood On the Leaves
Hold My Liquor
New Slaves
Black Skinhead
I Am a God
On Sight
Gulit Trip
Send it Up
I'm In It

Tokubetsu

weed
liquor
trying to think less so you pour all your energy into some activity and only let that activity sswim in your mind

Dynomutt

So I'm chilling up at 2:19 AM in the morning. Nigga can't sleep on some insomniac shit so I decide to watch some TV. Then the Dos Equis commercial comes on with that new dude and I have a revelation about a line from 4:44 - Family Feud. I might be slow ya'll!

New niggas is the reason I stopped drinkin' Dos Equis

Here's a visual breakdown:

Old Nigga
giphy.gif

New Nigga (Look...Look at this return shuttle getting out ass Nigga...)
landscape-1473261117-mim.gif

This Nigga's Reaction
1408.gif

1408.gif

1408.gif
1408.gif

I will hold this L.

Bronx-Man

Banned

Nah

Blood On the Leaves
Hold My Liquor
New Slaves
Black Skinhead
I Am a God
On Sight
Gulit Trip
Send it Up
I'm In It
Yah

It's just that when I think of the best albums of the year, I think of which ones have the most songs that I keep on repeat as the year goes by. Meanwhile 4 years after release, I still only listen to Yeezus in its entirety, front-to-back. That's the only album I still do that for in 2017. So, it's pretty goddamn good to have that effect on me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom