• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, let's talk about troll AI/ gameplay mechanics.

GTA

AI drivers shift lanes to create collisions or make sudden turns across the road and worst of all, they will drive into the oncoming lane causing a head on collision.

Assassins Creed thieves, hate these guys, I never let them go, I always chase them down.

There is also Pazaak in KOTOR which is heavily biased towards AI players.

List some other examples GAF.

Hahs

GTA V all the way:

• NPCs with low range weapons shooting you from scope distance immediately after taking one of them out with a sniper rifle.
  • Cop chases spawn from behind - as if to risk a collision/altercation.
  • Getting in a vehicle only to have a car pull right up beside the driver door forcing you to get in on the passenger side
  • Getting in a vehicle only to have a car stop just behind the driver door, wait for you to get in, and then honk the horn when there's plenty of room to drive around in the first place
  • Traffic jam at intersections just as you enter a vehicle

BONUS:: GTA IV

Getting in or out of a car parked near a curb only have another vehicle careen by and take the door off!

Awntawn

Far Cry 2

Every person's sole purpose in life is to destroy you. If a guy spots you in a meadow half a mile away from the road, he will veer his car straight into the field just to try to run you over

Mario Kart 8 AI when you are trying to get 3 stars on 150CC and 200.
The AI isnt there to win. Is there to try to fuck you up the stars (as winning any cup is relatively easy).
All the racers always try to help the guy you have behind on the points chart. They even brake stupidly (letting you easy wins sometimes) just because its trying to let the guy behind you pass them so they can rank some points, same with the use of items.
They also cheat a lot when you are not seeing them.
The better you drive being really ahead of them, the more agressive the AI turns, making next races more difficult. If you try to race worse being more near them when you pass the finish line, they will actually be easier to win on the next race.

Its probably also happening in other mario karts, but i tested it throughly to know if it really happened in Mario Kart 8. Its surprising some of the shit I saw on the tests as i was more in the outlook of the AI behaviour than winning the races.

Sushi Nao

I remember Puzzle Quest on the DS having some pretty horrendous AI cheating, as it made decisions based on a view of the board above the playable area that the player was unable to see. I kind of didn't mind it though, as it made succeeding feel more of an achievement against brutal odds.

gta v cops that spawn in front of you or cop chase movement that's tied to your inputs (if you press left or right they instantly do the same, so much so you can cheese it to make them crash)... and even idiot npc drivers always deciding to make a left hand turn soon as they see you... all troll you hard.

gta v cops are terminator robocops too but that's just them being asses rather than trolls haha but the, hey i'm deep in the mountain pass and suddenly cop cars are spawning all over the mountainside, heavy heavy trolling.

i think it's less wholly intentional by rockstar tho and just by-product of their poor spawning system in general. game has major issues with despawn so i think the cop AI and spawn/chase system has to be like that because the game is bad handling spawn/despawn objects, data, etc.

it's not being an ass about purposely spawning cops in stupid places. it's just that's the only way the engine can spawn any object.

Blizzard

Banned
Far Cry 2

Every person's sole purpose in life is to destroy you. If a guy spots you in a meadow half a mile away from the road, he will veer his car straight into the field just to try to run you over

Haha, one of my favorite game summaries ever is about that game.

Far Cry 2 is basically the anti-Crysis. You're the perpetual hapless victim in some godforsaken African country and everything and everyone is trying to kill you. Your guns suck, you have malaria, and you're constantly being hunted by packs of armed men in jeeps. It's like a slapstick comedy with one joke and it goes on for about 15 hours.

Mephala

I seem to remember a co-op shooter where you can prompt for a high five but troll them. Its a bit of a scissor/paper/rock thing where if they suspect you're playing them they can get you back. There was all sorts of goofy stuff like tripping the other player over.

JeanPi

Banned
NBA 2k on hall of fame difficulty. Players making ridiculous shots like Dwight Howard sinking jumpers as if it was nothing to him, every last second shot goes in for them, etc.

Rembrandt

Banned
I seem to remember a co-op shooter where you can prompt for a high five but troll them. Its a bit of a scissor/paper/rock thing where if they suspect you're playing them they can get you back. There was all sorts of goofy stuff like tripping the other player over.

sounds like army of two, but i don't remember it being that in-depth, though.

Recently? Drowners in Witcher 3. Only things that ever kill me.
I went back to an early zone yesterday and at level 29 with cool armor, I was getting totally trolled by a band of 5-6 level 5 bandits with crossbows. Crossbows can be huge assholes.

Starfleet Command: You diligently save up enough credits to buy that shiny new Federation battleship.

Only to discover that now every neighboring enemy sector is patrolled by a Klingon battleship.

T.O.P

Banned
1278005497025247591.gif

Be a dick to the AI, get teabagged

KHlover

Banned
I went back to an early zone yesterday and at level 29 with cool armor, I was getting totally trolled by a band of 5-6 level 5 bandits with crossbows. Crossbows can be huge assholes.

Sounds like someone needs to get his alt Yrden/alt Axii/Improved parry game on ;)

SPCTRE

Starfleet Command: You diligently save up enough credits to buy that shiny new Federation battleship.

Only to discover that now every neighboring enemy sector is patrolled by a Klingon battleship.
That one drove me nuts as well, especially so because the mission I got stuck on even had a story justification for the mirror* matches!

*(yup, the Mirror Universe one)

KevinCow

Banned
1278005497025247591.gif

Be a dick to the AI, get teabagged

On a similar note, in MKX, I once had the computer Kotal Kahn do a little dance thing during the Finish Him. That is, he threw up his light beacon, stood in it, and repeatedly flipped stance until I fell over. I wasn't even mad.

NEO0MJ

Dark Souls 2 DLC areas.

There's a Red phantom who before in the game was an ally but in the first new area he invades and keeps taunting you.
Another Red Phantom in the second new area fights you for a bit then runs down a hole where he hides among a large group of strong enemies that can fire from large bows. He makes another appearance in the third new area as a white phantom and helps lead you to a switch...where he immediately backstabs you afterwards and runs away again.

SoulUnison

Banned
Borderlands' "Fight for your Life" mechanic.

It's either incredibly easy to get back up on your feet, or it's a 10 second long middle finger being smacked against your face as hard as possible. Combine that with how enemies will get as "in your face" as possible, then *retreat behind cover* or just flat out run out of the area once you're downed and you have a formula for perfect anti-fun.

Oh, and there are bosses that don't deploy minions or sub-enemies to let you even have a *chance* of getting on your feet again, in encounters that are obviously balanced around the ability to "Fight for your Life."

Oh,and if you go down too many times in a row the game will decide that you literally don't even deserve the chance, and will just kill you instantly. Combine *this* with the bullet-sponge-pinball nature of several enemies and you have a game that's designed to cause aneurysms.

I wish Borderlands would just double the stats on HP and Shields and stop trying to pretend that "Fight for your Life" is some kind of fun or even halfway-coherent gameplay mechanic.

jeemer

Fighting games. In particular, end bosses on high difficulties.

You have to play very differently against cpu players than humans in fighting games. No point in trying to condition them or play mindgames. Generally comes down to finding what strategy will cheese them out.

Call of Duty 2 - Enemies would stay in cover forever when aimed at, and would attack the moment you looked away.

Demon's Souls - The pit in 1-1 has glowy things inside, makes it seem like you should try jumping in.

Jersey Devil - The player character would automatically jump off if you moved too close to the edge of a platform.

Jersey Devil - The player character would automatically jump off if you moved too close to the edge of a platform.

Holy shit I loved that game when I was in the 4th grade. I still remember the in-game music and the sound effects. Pretty sure I still have a copy of it somewhere. The downhill slide sections were great.

Although I've had my share of camera problems with Jersey Devil.

I just started to make a game in Unity which revolves around crowd behaviour. This stuff is so hard to wrap your head around. My NPCs just walk into walls at the moment.

Pretty much almost every SNK fighter that ever came into existence. To this day, I'm still convinced that those games are programmed to read your controller inputs, as the AI seems to ALWAYS have the perfect counter to your moves in the higher difficulties.

ArjanN

GTA V all the way:

[*]Cop chases spawn from behind - as if to risk a collision/altercation.

I assume that one is just so you don't see them spawn into the world.

Same as when you're on foot with no car around and just spin in circles to spawn more traffic behind you.

Need for Speed Rivals, I've no idea what they were going for. The whole online world thing was bad enough. Then they thought that an app were people who weren't playing could troll you for no reason was a good idea.
Then the Coup De Grace, some sort of stupid Dark Souls mechanic were if you got busted you lost all the XP you've gained to that point.
Which probably wouldn't be so bad, if wasn't for the fact that you ended up driving round in circles loading in and out of your safe house.
Of course if you got a half decent score every police officer in the world started chasing you. It turned into the Blues Brothers at one stage which thousands of these peeler cars chasing you and just o top it off other players in your world at the time could crash into you too.

I don't know how Gaf feels about this game but I thought it was a nightmare all round.

Its probably also happening in other mario karts, but i tested it throughly to know if it really happened in Mario Kart 8. Its surprising some of the shit I saw on the tests as i was more in the outlook of the AI behaviour than winning the races.

It is. It's been a staple of every Mario Kart and it only becomes more obvious with time. It's probably 90% of the reason I have no real interest in the series any more. It was especially obvious and irritating in Double Dash as I was playing through F-Zero GX at the time, which is hard as hell but much much fairer about it. It's lazy game design, simple as that.

Thief bot in Descent 2. Its sole purpose is to stalk the level trying to sneak up on you, usually from behind. If it catches you, it steals one of your weapons and runs away. It's faster than you and knows how to dodge your shots (unlike most bots) so it's hard to hit. And it won't stop trying to steal your weapons until you finally manage to kill it.

The original Motorstorm made you hate life at times, with its rubber-band super unfair AI, still I miss the game so much :/

vypek

I'm going to go for Far Cry 4 (somewhat 3 as well since I played those as well as Blood Dragon).

-The enemies can see you from a great distance that if you aren't super far away and tucked behind shrubbery there is almost no point in hiding. Their notice of you is ridiculously good and then EVERYONE in the area knows where you are shooting from.

-Asshole animals that attack at the perfectly wrong time. Like a tiger flanking you when you are scoping your sniper rifle to take over a camp. And shooting at it with the wrong weapon will alert the camp.

-Eagles

Every Mario Kart game ever made has troll AI.

Yeah, this too. I hate that the grand prix is always pretty much a one on one with a set character and then everyone is helping him/her out. Waluigi and Peach are constantly the people I play against and I swear I've been hit by way too many blue shells in the final lap

Destiny. All the enemies file your location one you cloak. Some even still hit you. Reasonable you may say, especially if they saw you cloak. But no. You can be cloaked and ships will still fire at you. Shriekers still fire at you. Omnigul still fires at you. It's crazy.

Mario Kart 64 is the first game that has made me change how its meant to be played to combat the level of cheating the AI pulls. They don't play out the animation of getting hit by items if they aren't in eyesight, 2nd through 4th place are equipped with tractor beams that keep them near you at all times, and its not so much that they are out to win as it is they are out to make you lose.

So once you figure out a particular character is "programmed" to be your rival, you work to screw them over and can skate for a while until the game picks a new one. Best places to do it are on the maps you could knock them off the track for a huge loss of time.

Top Bottom