• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF MAFIA |OT| Season 4 Review Thread | "YES, SOMEHOW I AM THE PROBLEM HERE"

RetroMG

I have real joke criticism by the way.

Retro:

I was super bothered that Ultra's pacifist head in NV was the green head since the violet head is supposed to be the pacifist.

/nerdcapoff

The art I chose for Hyrum didn't even have a green head. Drove me nuts.

Sorian

Banned
The art I chose for Hyrum didn't even have a green head. Drove me nuts.

This was the first picture I saw of him so instantly what I imagine:

hiram_by_littletde-d6h4skm.png

ok so i assume we're all done with this review thread now?

to recap, i captured the minutes here:

so keeping minutes, just cuz it's good to keep tracks on the general consensus:
  • combined dead thread is better
  • game running needs A LOT of support
  • gamerunners should be given space to end the day / start the day without rushing it
  • silence are expected from both players and spectators once day phases are ended
  • panel of overseers will determine which games are selected to run
  • once the games are selected, players will get to nominate their preferences
  • main season will cover the spectrum of normal, middling and crazy games
  • in-game behaviours should be treated as such. however, we do encourage for the aggressive playstyle to be toned a little down, and for the delicate players to toughen up a notch.
  • post restriction roles / style must be cleared by overseer before implemented
  • win (and loss) condition must be made clear
  • overseers will advise on what kind of fake claims must be provided
  • scum team should be allowed to put in the commands for inactive scum
  • IF rebooting, give the players a breathing room, and try to keep the player base the same

might have missed some points, but in general i think that's where we are at....

more feedbacks are always welcomed !

if i need to add any other points as a note for the future let me know

-

on another note, please check the second post. we have now nine games submitted with one additional one in the pipeline from scrafty (theme is bloodborne)

that means the overseer team will need to assess those submitted games and make a decision which one will run for S5. reviewing things will take time as there will be back and forth adjustments to the game designs, so i think it'd be a good time now to appoint them overseers

crab, the moderator's chat has sort of come up with the following names for the panel of overseers: Ourobolus, nin1000, retroMG.... and yourself?

i also note royal flush and squidy volunteered to help out on that front, but well, someone needs to make a call on that, at some point in time. but i just thought i should pointed out these things. yeenz never ignore anyone :>

spiders have 8 eights for a reasons :3

*Splinter

-

on another note, please check the second post. we have now nine games submitted with one additional one in the pipeline from scrafty (theme is bloodborne)

that means the overseer team will need to assess those submitted games and make a decision which one will run for S5. reviewing things will take time as there will be back and forth adjustments to the game designs, so i think it'd be a good time now to appoint them overseers

crab, the moderator's chat has sort of come up with the following names for the panel of overseers: Ourobolus, nin1000, retroMG.... and yourself?

i also note royal flush and squidy volunteered to help out on that front, but well, someone needs to make a call on that, at some point in time. but i just thought i should pointed out these things. yeenz never ignore anyone :>

64 what?

-

I declare a rebellion

munches on spider legd

oww oww

mah legs~

damn u rebelz

imma shut u all down with my super-hyper-death-star-version-four-that-is-bigger-than-the-last-one

jes' wach' me u foolz

Kevyt

Number of player slots for the game: 30
People who have been told about, consulted, or hinted information about your set-up: Palmer, Retro
Theme: Love Boat
Game Category: 6 (the design is quite mild, but the pair mechanic ups the score).
Originally Posted by Yeeny

Number of player slots for the game: 23
People who have been told about, consulted, or hinted information about your set-up: Spider's Overlord
Theme: Disney Princess
Game Category: 5 or 6.

I'm so torn between this two.

;_;

Gorlak

Banned

• Encrypting messages should be forbidden
I enjoyed Harry Potter very much. There were some minor problems which could be improved, but Salva and Nin were great and did everything to make this a very pleasent game. Again thank you very much guys!

---
On another note, I want to shed light on something that bothered me back then:

El Topo "I'll be extremely busy"
and
El Topo dropping out

Without the reset he would've dropped out in the middle of the game, which was predictable. Personally I hate to see players being replaced because it can change the whole game. If you know you can't put in the effort or you'll be indisposed, don't join a game. Maybe it is just me, because everybody seemed cool with it. Just wanted to mention it.
Of course there are times unforeseeable things happen in life and RL always has priority over some free time forum game, so that's a completely different matter.
---
Also I'm a big supporter of not changing ongoing countdowns. Day start and ends will vary and early starts are always welcomed, no problem with that, but building up anticipation and postponing an hour before the original countdown runs out is sort of depressing :(

Sorian

Banned
Also I'm a big supporter of not changing ongoing countdowns. Day start and ends will vary and early starts are always welcomed, no problem with that, but building up anticipation and postponing an hour before the original countdown runs out is sort of depressing :(

I'm against early or late starts in all honesty. Night time is boring for some and I get that, but that is time that scum chat, masons, gossips, lovers, whatever do have to talk and talking while the game is not being actively played is different than discussing things on the fly while new developments are occurring.

Sorian

Banned
early starts are TERRIBLE

Late starts might be required for properly sorting through night actions

too bad so sad in the 2nd one

It should just be a rule that night actions have to be locked in an hour beforehand. An hour should be plenty of time to figure out how night actions interact (should know this beforehand anyway :p) and players should know better than to be sending in commands at the buzzer.

squidyj

the viability of an early start depends on the actions and powers in play in the game which means that to avoid giving away information an early start should not be allowed.

I choose to be more of a test pilot than an analyst, but

A parting comment... Season 4 totes felt like a speedrun session, pretty good yet pretty hasty

In the Potterverse game, I know I was partly *cough* responsible for this upcoming point but a lot of Season 4's gameplay felt to me as revolving excruciatingly around unprovoked Role-claims

emphasis pls

Dear Players, kindly remember dat Spiderman quote, k. Sometimes, the illusion of power can be more practically powerful than any actual Role assignment. It's a role you're playing! The scrub-tiers on either side of you don't need the truth to get them talking. THEY DUNNO SHIT. If you can't break it, fake it

That goes for prospective hosts in their worldbuilding flavour too, I guess!

I look forward to seeing what's in store for S5

Particularly with the Avalon experiment

And here's to WAAAAAYY more recruits, because I'm super hella fatigued of all your ol' familiar-ass mugs

pijRHzm.gif

btw S5 is the Season a GAF mod will join us, I feel it

See you next mission!

edit: Could I be added to the Avalon spec thread, please? :eek: I mean, not that I'll comment or anything >_>

edit 2: Actually, wasn't Amirox a player in S1? :eek:

...did I say test pilot

Number of player slots for the game: 23
People who have been told about, consulted, or hinted information about your set-up: no one
Theme: [REDACTED]
Game Category: to be determined

No promises. There's a lot of work to be done on it yet balance-wise, but expect a more, uh, classy game, with a very simple gimmick available to all players from its start.

edit: TY for adding it to the list, yeeny!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Pushing for that day 1 lynch. Let's go.

Mod is assigned the role of lynch bomb. Mixes it up a bit and turns it into a ban bomb.

I think this would lend a certain thrill to the game, actually, especially if it was randomized.

Let's say we all agree that lynchings risk bannings beforehand. It'd be like playing internet Russian Roulette.

• Encrypting messages should be forbidden
I enjoyed Harry Potter very much. There were some minor problems which could be improved, but Salva and Nin were great and did everything to make this a very pleasent game. Again thank you very much guys!

---
On another note, I want to shed light on something that bothered me back then:

El Topo "I'll be extremely busy"
and
El Topo dropping out

Without the reset he would've dropped out in the middle of the game, which was predictable. Personally I hate to see players being replaced because it can change the whole game. If you know you can't put in the effort or you'll be indisposed, don't join a game. Maybe it is just me, because everybody seemed cool with it. Just wanted to mention it.
Of course there are times unforeseeable things happen in life and RL always has priority over some free time forum game, so that's a completely different matter.
---

thanks gorlakie, i'll add the encryption thingo on to the minutes and good pick up about committing to play only when you have the time for it. i agree~

hmmm

Actually, I think I'll slate my [REDACTED] game for Season 5.5 or 6, as there are enough game-runners for the upcoming S5 already :eek:

roytheone

thanks gorlakie, i'll add the encryption thingo on to the minutes and good pick up about committing to play only when you have the time for it. i agree~

* scum should post at least once per night fase in the scum chat, just like how everyone is expected to post at least once during the day fase.

RetroMG

* scum should post at least once per night fase in the scum chat, just like how everyone is expected to post at least once during the day fase.

Seriously, though, THIS. If you are in scum chat and not communicating with your partners, you deserve to lose.

balance balance balance balance
balance balance balance
balance balance balance balance balance balance
balance.

I don't think any of the games this season were particularly unbalanced. Some lucky/unlucky breaks might've given the illusion of imbalance but technically speaking they all seemed sound.

Terrabyte20xx

Junior Wrestlemania XXX Champion
The truth is you can have the greatest balence of all time, but someone will always do something you didn't account for.

squidyj

I don't think any of the games this season were particularly unbalanced. Some lucky/unlucky breaks might've given the illusion of imbalance but technically speaking they all seemed sound.

you would be wrong then.

The truth is you can have the greatest balence of all time, but someone will always do something you didn't account for.

This is not an argument against making games balanced.

Ty4on

I've been thinking of volunteering as a kind of game tester. Not like a veteran saying X is flawed because of Y, but going through all the scenarios and asking questions to help creators tackle unforeseen consequences or unclear mechanics.

The latter crops up every now and then where the creators have a vision, but don't communicate it in a way the player understand (my immediate thought was the double lynch in NV and the map in DR).

I think maybe being sent individual PMs (role and spell) and day updates (when someone activates a universal ability like double night kill for scum) first so I'm not "blinded" by already knowing how things work behind the scenes. Standard stuff is obviously redundant.

I still want to play a game though, so I don't want to volunteer for all S5 games.

Terrabyte20xx

Junior Wrestlemania XXX Champion
you would be wrong then.

This is not an argument against making games balanced.
I'm not saying that, what I am saying is that a percieved imbalance is not always due to the set up, sometimes the doc, the back up doc, and the back up back up doc die first.

Ourobolus

Banned

Eh, I'll disagree. HP definitely had some balance issues, and while I think Night Vale had some issues, they weren't as crucial to scum's loss as much as the communication/play of scum. Woof2 was mostly balanced, though the gossip arsonist, while funny, probably shouldn't have been in play.

squidyj

Eh, I'll disagree. HP definitely had some balance issues, and while I think Night Vale had some issues, they weren't as crucial to scum's loss as much as the communication/play of scum. Woof2 was mostly balanced, though the gossip arsonist, while funny, probably shouldn't have been in play.

I think the way the play was going in Night Vale we would have lost with a balanced game but I think the game was more or less unwinnable for scum given two competent teams.

Ourobolus

Banned
I think the way the play was going in Night Vale we would have lost with a balanced game but I think the game was more or less unwinnable for scum given two competent teams.

Part of it was also luck (Mazre selecting Sorian for chat), and some was also error from the mod's part (Sorry, Retro. Shit happens).

RetroMG

Didn't follow Night Vale too closely, only sorta know the set-up

It was very similar to Animal Crossing. Town got the Cop instead of Scum, but Scum got one of town's Gossips and a Godfather.

It also got a scum team that didn't coordinate or communicate, a hidden partner that antagonized his teammates, and a really solid town lineup. Oh, and yes a rookie gamerunner who did screw something up.

I've accepted responsibility for the things I did wrong, (Sorry again, Mazre, that really was my bad,) but Palmer, Ouro, Launchpad, and Yeeny all looked at the game at various stages, and at the time, they cleared it to run.

I'm not gong to say NV was perfect, but it was far from awful. Perhaps we should now move forward and fix future mistakes, rather than concentrating on old ones.

squidyj

Squidy, was Animal Crossing balanced?

That's going back a ways. I'm going from memory here.

We had some sort of weird grid structure

Town:
2 gossips that were space limited, which gives the idea that they're both town-sided credence
Someone who could activate a double vote as a roommate with scum
Someone who denied a night kill after being night killed
An even night immune player (who triggered an action on the night they were immune)
An odd night immune player ^^
two people who could detect nearby activity.

Mafia:
Someone who activated an additional night kill after being lynched
A role-cop who was roommates with a town power role
someone who is immune to being detected at night.
a lost partner (Darryl!!!!!!!!!!)

A lot of town powers depend on the board, the two gossips and the two light sleepers so we can see that the board acts as a balancing agent on the power of these roles but also provides legitimacy to their presence. IE a second gossip claiming is more likely to be believed as town thanks to the limitations imposed on the board. Even between them they don't have access to the entire pool of players. Likewise light sleepers can only detect nearby actions leaving certain players uncovered.

So what happens n1? mafia picks a target for invest and a target for kill. At worst they get something like hit odd night immune, and investigate someone with a power they don't understand like hoarder. there's one player immune each night so 1 out of all the kill targets seems like a low probability.

Meanwhile for town gossips invite a player each and???? not much happens on that front, mafia can fairly easily bullshit.

So as the game goes on what happens? It seems if you don't hit the light sleepers early but kill targets around them they become increasingly capable of pinpointing town. Eventually the roommates get lynched because the game setup paints a giant target on them, doubly true once one the town roommate uses his one-time power making the cost of doing so much less for town.

So the key points of failure are the roomies and maybe the light sleepers? Gossip roles allow chat to continue at night but it's usefulness is marginal at best and depends vastly on the gossip player or other players in the gossip chat.
A lost partner is also a little weak in a game where, if I remember correctly, the playercount would potentially support 5 scum.

All in all I think it was a fairly town-sided game but not quite as town-sided as say Archer. Mafia can win the game but the roommates situation hurts them while a pair of light sleepers and various kill denying abilities draw the game out when they're already numerically behind. The other thing to note is that a significant amount of the balancing comes from the organization of the game board which kark put some thought into.

Ourobolus

Banned
Yep, I'm aware of the issues in Archer and I think I learned a bit implementing Election. MGS, I think, was decent except I would have changed the scum switcher to an X-shot or something else.

Top Bottom