• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF MAFIA |OT| Season 4 Review Thread | "YES, SOMEHOW I AM THE PROBLEM HERE"

roytheone

I don't think any of the games this season were particularly unbalanced. Some lucky/unlucky breaks might've given the illusion of imbalance but technically speaking they all seemed sound.

I agree that there will always be lucky and unlucky breaks that effect games and that you can never account for everything, but I also think that when designing games it is important to at least try and make the game in such a way that it will be a bit harder for a single lucky/unlucky break to have an enormous impact on the game. A single role being removed from the game early should never completely break the balance of a game, there should be things in place to prevent that from happening.

nin1000

Banned
early starts are TERRIBLE

Late starts might be required for properly sorting through night actions

too bad so sad in the 2nd one

That's why we let everyone know to give us their commands 1-2 hours before the night ended. Recieving 3 commands literary 10 minutes before the night ended fucked me right over. But at least that's sorted out.

cabot

Yep, I'm aware of the issues in Archer and I think I learned a bit implementing Election. MGS, I think, was decent except I would have changed the scum switcher to an X-shot or something else.

there was nothing wrong with that scum switcher.

Absolutely nothing.

I'm pretty sure I'm the saltiest Mgs player, even though I forget about the game 1/2 the time

THEY WOULDNT EVEN LISTEN TO ME IN THE DEAD THREAD, after I had been shown to be town

Sorian

Banned
I'm pretty sure I'm the saltiest Mgs player, even though I forget about the game 1/2 the time

THEY WOULDNT EVEN LISTEN TO ME IN THE DEAD THREAD, after I had been shown to be town

You were sooooooooooooooo scummy.

And that's coming from me who embraced the scumminess that people assumed of me on day 1. :p

squidyj

There's a group of streamers streaming Live Mafia games right now: http://www.twitch.tv/beyondthesummit Having not played live in a long time it is interesting to watch a live games after all this forum stuff.

if you want to see some video mafia these guys play quite often.
http://www.twitch.tv/dailymafia

I want to play a real time game with GAFIA pretty badly. Doesn't even have to be video/voice.

Come on people! I don't bite.

I could be convinced but for my preference
video >> voice >>>> text

RetroMG

Retro is a handsome fella everyone.

Nope-GIF_zpsnd3gnxax.gif

kay so i think we're done with this review thread

minutes are as follows:
  • combined dead thread is better
  • game running needs A LOT of support
  • gamerunners should be given space to end the day / start the day without rushing it
  • silence are expected from both players and spectators once day phases are ended
  • panel of overseers will determine which games are selected to run
  • once the games are selected, players will get to nominate their preferences
  • main season will cover the spectrum of normal, middling and crazy games
  • in-game behaviours should be treated as such. however, we do encourage for the aggressive playstyle to be toned a little down, and for the delicate players to toughen up a notch.
  • post restriction roles / style must be cleared by overseer before implemented
  • win (and loss) condition must be made clear
  • overseers will advise on what kind of fake claims must be provided
  • scum team should be allowed to put in the commands for inactive scum
  • IF rebooting, give the players a breathing room, and try to keep the player base the same
  • Encrypting messages are forbidden
  • scum should post at least once per night phase in the scum chat, just like how everyone is expected to post at least once during the day phase.
(tentative) Overseer Team:
  • Crab
  • Ourobolus
  • RetroMG
  • nin1000

Palmer_v1 will volunteer to choose which game he will review since he doesn't want to be spoilt on every game design ever.

Additional volunteers for the overseer team:
  • squidyj
  • Royal_Flush

Total games submitted to date for review for either Season 5 or Season 5.5
: 10 (+1 pending - Scrafty's Bloodborne)

Note: I have sent all moderators the link to a spreadsheet that tracks all games submitted to me thus far. The spreadsheet also has hyperlinks to all the game designs (if provided).

UPDATE:

So. Crab has graced us in the moderators' chat with his presence and inputs and he said that he shall start Season 5 main thread after FF and Heist wrap up. HOORAY :D

All of games submitted should provide their designs ASAP to the Overseers' Team, so reviews can be conducted in a timely manner. Remember, it will not be a straight "APPROVED" feedback. There will be back and forth between the game designer and the overseer team, so allow the reviewing panel at least a few days to go over your designs with you.

And, that's it :>

SEE YOU ALL IN SEASON 5!

(for now, back to S4 main thread)~~~

Roya didn't realise that we were welcoming mid-season designs for reviews so, he asked me to put Of Gods and Men (title pending to be changed) to get Overseers' reviews.

Number of player slots for the game: 18
People who have been told about, consulted, or hinted information about your set-up: yeenz and royal_flush only at this stage
Theme: Mythology... ish (Theme will be fleshed out more for marketing later)
Game Category: 8? (overseers, pls advise)

the spreadsheet is linked at the game thread, which has been placed under Games Submitted for S5 Mid-Season at Outer Gafia.

Karkador

Banned
Animal Crossing was designed and balanced with a physical Werewolf set, which basically tries to account for the impact of each role (ideal balance is 0, a regular Villager is +1, a Wolf is -7). So the game probably gets a lot of comments that it was well-balanced because of this.

IIRC, the proper ratio for the game was 3 Mafia. The fourth scum was "lost" (and that's basically a Minion), which is sort of negative for Mafia, but offers them another player (and gives the Town side a little more wiggle room with powers).

Stuff that was more out of the ordinary (the Gossips) is where I sat down and tried to figure out what the impact of the role would be.

Also, the board wasn't really by design, at least not by much. I originally just seeded the board randomly, then ironed out a few odd things (gossips being spaced from each other). The two-player house was also by design, obviously (and my only real regret). But you could probably run the whole thing completely random and it'd be okay.

Animal Crossing was designed and balanced with a physical Werewolf set, which basically tries to account for the impact of each role (ideal balance is 0, a regular Villager is +1, a Wolf is -7). So the game probably gets a lot of comments that it was well-balanced because of this.

IIRC, the proper ratio for the game was 3 Mafia. The fourth scum was "lost" (and that's basically a Minion), which is sort of negative for Mafia, but offers them another player (and gives the Town side a little more wiggle room with powers).

Stuff that was more out of the ordinary (the Gossips) is where I sat down and tried to figure out what the impact of the role would be.

Also, the board wasn't really by design, at least not by much. I originally just seeded the board randomly, then ironed out a few odd things (gossips being spaced from each other). The two-player house was also by design, obviously (and my only real regret). But you could probably run the whole thing completely random and it'd be okay.

I thought about some sort of numerical system too, but would have made a Townie +10 and Scum -50... If you don't mind I'd like to discuss about these systems a bit.

Karkador

Banned
I thought about some sort of numerical system too, but would have made a Townie +10 and Scum -50... If you don't mind I'd like to discuss about these systems a bit.

Oh, the numeral system isn't something I created. Buy a Werewolf set (Ultimate Werewolf, or whatever iteration they're on now) from Bezier Games, which has a wide selection of roles with ratings for each role.

Although I don't like Bezier Games for essentially appropriating Werewolf as their own game, the rating system and the supplementary stuff in the manual is probably worth the price, especially if you like running these games.

Oh, the numeral system isn't something I created. Buy a Werewolf set (Ultimate Werewolf, or whatever iteration they're on now) from Bezier Games, which has a wide selection of roles with ratings for each role.

Although I don't like Bezier Games for essentially appropriating Werewolf as their own game, the rating system and the supplementary stuff in the manual is probably worth the price, especially if you like running these games.

You are speaking to a guy who has played RL werewolf for the first time last week... I'm also not sure you can transfer the RL values 1:1 into the forum version. Do you know any good source where I don't have to buy a physical copy of something?

Karkador

Banned
You are speaking to a guy who has played RL werewolf for the first time last week... I'm also not sure you can transfer the RL values 1:1 into the forum version. Do you know any good source where I don't have to buy a physical copy of something?

IMO, having a physical set like that is useful for planning online games, too. I can easily see everything at a glance, and add/remove things quickly.

The online resources for Mafia/Werewolf roles (that I've seen) are okay, but they don't offer a more 'objective' weighted system that they've playtested. I think some of the insights on MafiaScumWiki are interesting, but it's still tough to find a balanced set from those resources.

WW is a public-domain game, but what you're paying for with those physical sets is the rating system and insights into the different roles.

Of course there's a difference between RL and online Mafia, but there will also be a difference between different online mafia communities - so even MafiaScum's advice has to be re-interpreted into what makes "Gafia sense".

Palmer_v1

Ultimate Werewolf is the set most people have, and it does assign numeric values to roles. For example, a seer is like 7 points, while a guard is maybe 4-5? Ordinary townies are like 1 each.

A lot does not transfer well over to forum setting, but you get a feel for that as you go.

A lot is also affected by player skill. A seer/cop is pretty strong in anyone's hands, but Masons can vary wildly between two inactive newbies getting it, and two solid vets getting it.

RetroMG

Just a programming note - New signups for Outer Gafia will require approval by one of it's mods (Me, Yeeny, Scrafty) going forward. We've gotten a couple of spambot accounts created, and I'd like to keep those out.

If you don't have an account at OG (and why not?) you can still make one, and I'll also remove the approval process when the S5 Signup Thread goes up, but for now, I've taken this precaution to keep OG from being overrun.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Number of player slots for the game: 16
People who have been told about, consulted, or hinted information about your set-up: Crab
Theme:
Game Category: 6

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I have second thoughts already. I need to hunt down Crab and ask him how he ever let me make this because it just looks unbalanced.

Top Bottom