• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography Thread of 2017

TFGB

Flicking through some old holiday shots from a while back and found these:

Alaska, Inside Passage:

37879990744_5f3e9b5899_k.jpg

Ingleton Falls, Yorkshire, UK.

26827637229_7ff375d391_b.jpg

Gaaraz

So many amazing photos/photographers in this thread! Going to check in more often for inspiration :)

I’m loving Lightroom CC’s interface but as a very light user can’t justify paying £120 a year for it - can anyone please recommend something similar (ie. super simple) on Windows 10? Thank you

PulseONE

I don't have a great camera or anything, so my stuff might look a bit shit compared to some of the professional level stuff in here but...well I'll post some anyway as an amateur (yes I know they're JPGs, I can see the compression, sadly lost the originals of most of these)

All shots taken in various places in Trinidad and Tobago

IMG2017081716541001.jpeg

16729141101542140973.jpg

IMG20170206093949.jpg

IMG20170205120643.jpg

IMG2017081718041801.jpeg

IMG20171218121053.jpg

TFGB

Bump - any suggestions please? :)
Hi Gaaraz.

You should check out Affinity Photo.

It has quite a few useful features and there is a free trial you can dowload to see if it works for you? There is also a highly regarded tablet version too which, I believe, offers all the features of the desktop version.

I'm not sure if you know of the Nik Collection that was purchased by Google a while back and is now offered for free? I've been using the plugins/modules for years and still use them all the time. It's a shame Google purchased the software rights as they've now been abandoned which was inevitable. However, they are extremely effective in their own right if you don't need to make separate layer adjustments a la Photoshop?

EDIT: Actually it appears as though DXO have purchased the rights to The Nik Collection, so download them for free while you still can!!

https://nikcollection.dxo.com/

Last edited:

Gaaraz

Thanks so much for this! Will give Affinity Photo a look now :) Sorry for the late reply, completely forgot about this until I've just found around 10k unsorted photos on my hard drive. I'm actually growing increasingly tempted to just throw everything into Google Photos :(

Last edited:

Corderlain

Banned
I'm going to Iceland next week and will be sure to grab some pics for everyone! All I've got is a pixel 2 and I've never done any sort of photography. Any suggestions on light, contrast, framing?

rykomatsu

I'm going to Iceland next week and will be sure to grab some pics for everyone! All I've got is a pixel 2 and I've never done any sort of photography. Any suggestions on light, contrast, framing?

Some basic composition is where I would start:

Rule of thirds, breaking the photo into a 3x3 tile and composing elements along the lines...usually horizon elements would be aligned against the horizontal lines that divide the scene into 3 rows and a subject of interest along the vertical lines that divide the scene into 3 columns.

Symmetry - sometimes having the left and right side of the photo by virtue is beautiful

"Guide"(?) lines - drawing the viewer along a path or using the path to lead to a subject can be interesting

Framing using natural objects - for example trees next to a lake provide a perfect frame for the lake.

There are no hard and fast rules, though - use those as guidance but don't feel afraid to play around.

TFGB

Nice to see this thread resurrected. A few pics taken with iPhone 7:

Highclere Castle (Downton Abbey)
44314053002_48bd9b8b92_o.jpg

Wilmington, East Sussex
29573949397_3b2c8019aa_b.jpg

29824258057_2a1092fe00_o.jpg

Fuser

Did a 1600 round trip last week across England and Scotland. Weather was rubbish for most of it so seemed to spend most of the time stood in the rain covering the camera. In the brief dry spells was able to get a few shots though. Scotland never fails to amaze me, I love it. First time to the Lake District and that wasn't too bad, either :)

Glencoe, Scotland

Lake District

Last edited:

Fuser

Lovely Fuser. The Lake District and Scotland in one trip? Jammy git! Both fantastic locations.
Thanks. Yeah it was something alright. I live in the south of Devon so it's quite a way to go but so worth it!

Before I got home I had already booked a trip in 2019 up to Skye, which remains my favourite place for photography.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Nice to see this thread resurrected. A few pics taken with iPhone 7:

Highclere Castle (Downton Abbey)
44314053002_48bd9b8b92_o.jpg

Wilmington, East Sussex
29573949397_3b2c8019aa_b.jpg

29824258057_2a1092fe00_o.jpg

iPhone 7 shots? What kind of wizardry is this? Would love to hear what apps you used for processing the images and what you didto them

Amazing shots Fuser, just gorgeous light and compositions

Domisto

Those are some intimidating shots everyone, don't mind me :pie_savoring:

Some holiday snaps from Japan this year. Taken on a basic point and shoot, unaltered.

DSC03330.jpg

DSC03621.jpg

DSC03631.jpg

DSC04060.jpg

DSC04558.jpg

DSC04853.jpg

DSC05038.jpg

DSC02459.jpg

TFGB

iPhone 7 shots? What kind of wizardry is this? Would love to hear what apps you used for processing the images and what you didto them
They were 2 exposures (one for the sky and one for the foreground or subject) layered in Photoshop. I would’ve used Photoshop’s Camera Raw Filter for overall adjustment of shadows and highlights, then Nik’s Viveza and Color Efex Pro for selective adjustments.

I think I mentioned the Nik Collection plugins earlier in the thread when they were free, but Google sold them to DxO who are now charging for them. Extremely useful tools and you might still be able to find the link to a (legal) free download online somewhere.

Fuser

Yep, Nix is a pretty good set of tools. I find you have to only make minor adjustments with them though otherwise they let ok over processed.

Your iPhone shots look great, never would have known they are mobile shots!

TFGB

Cheers Fuser! A couple from my recent stay at Ballyfin Demesne, Republic of Ireland.

Nikon D850, 16-35VR, Lee Big Stopper.
45450350234_35077b3e77_b.jpg

D850, 16-35 VR.
46076079191_6815feda11_b.jpg

Last edited:

Gaaraz

Those are some intimidating shots everyone, don't mind me :pie_savoring:

Some holiday snaps from Japan this year. Taken on a basic point and shoot, unaltered.

DSC03330.jpg

DSC03621.jpg

DSC03631.jpg

DSC04060.jpg

DSC04558.jpg

DSC04853.jpg

DSC05038.jpg

DSC02459.jpg
I know this is super late, but please can you define basic point and shoot? I have a FZ330 which I think is a basic point and shoot, but these photos look way better than anything I could take (and I don’t think it’s just the composition)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I saved one of those images and looked at the metadata and it appears to have been taken with a Sony RX100 series camera. I have the RX100 V, but the whole line (as well as the RX10 series) employs a very nice 1" sensor, which is much larger than most compact point and shoot cameras and can take very good images as long as light is decent (and the ISO is kept under 1600 or so). There are a lot of great 1" sensor cameras from Sony and Panasonic that have excellent image quality while retaining a very compact size.

Domisto

I know this is super late, but please can you define basic point and shoot? I have a FZ330 which I think is a basic point and shoot, but these photos look way better than anything I could take (and I don’t think it’s just the composition)
@Zefah nailed it. It's an RX-100 (first model). It was already 5 years old when I bought it but that meant it was an affordable compact with a better sensor than most similar sized cameras at that price. The only other secret is good natural light. Although it performs nicely as an all rounder.

I remember being annoyed at the limited choice when I got it. The compact market has been chewed out by mobiles.

Gaaraz

Thanks so much guys, have to say with hindsight I’m pretty gutted about my choice of camera as an older RX100 is a similar price to my camera... not that I’d be taking photos anywhere near that good anyway :) So impressed with the quality in this thread.

I should take the time to learn the settings rather than shoot everything on auto too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom