• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF plays...31 Nights of Horror...4

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Yup. Put in the Leon disc and load your Claire A Cleared save file. That should start you on Leon B, which will interact with your previous playthrough (and also give you the true ending to the game, complete with one last boss...)

Doing this tonight!

So far I've completed the following horror-themed games for October:

PS4:
SOMA
Virginia
DmC: Definitive Edition

Xbox One:
Gears of War: Ultimate Edition

Will post impressions later but SOMA has been my highlight, so far. Such an awesome experience.

I don't have enough time to get through too many games in October, so my horror gaming is going to be stretched into the whole Fall season and likely spill over into Winter.

That being said, I'm still in the middle of my Dying Light playthrough. I played through a lot of it when it was released but never finished. I opted to start over with the new enhanced edition. I'm not sure I enjoy the new AI of the zombies that much, it's kind of a hassle dealing with them now. Still, it's such a fun game that I can overlook some of those issues.

Mupod

It's been really hard to tear myself away from my friends making me tank things in WoW but I managed to squeeze in some Resident Evil Revelations 2. I was a big fan of the 3DS game even if it wasn't quite perfect, I picked this one up some time ago and never found the time to play it past the intro.

Upon booting it up I remember why I didn't get far last time - it doesn't control well with mouse/keyboard and doesn't like my DS4. DS4Windows got the job done and I'm able to play it fine now, even with rumble which helps the unlocking minigame a lot.

I'm surprised by how good it's been so far. The enemies are creepier than the sea monsters in Revelations 1, especially the shit you run into in Barry's campaign. What I really like is that they've combined action-RE combat with old-RE item scrounging - enemies don't drop shit so you're constantly trying to conserve ammo and health or avoid combat entirely. But thankfully there's been no hiding in closets so far.

The game feels like something that could have started development on a handheld system, even if it actually looks pretty decent. It has the basics of RE4-5 combat but feels looser, cheaper, jankier. Weapons and headshots aren't as satisfying as those games. But it works well enough. Definitely still a game that's up my alley and I'd love to see this continue as a series, if they could somehow get the gameplay up to par with RE5 while maintaining more of a horror focus, that's a best case scenario for me.

As for other games this month, I'm still deciding on what to do for my yearly Castlevania playthrough. I'd like to find a way to play Adventure Rebirth, if that's possible on a Wii U. I'm also interested in SOMA since I've heard it's not quite as heavy on the closet-hiding relative to penumbra and amnesia.

MazeHaze

Banned
So far I've completed the following horror-themed games for October:

PS4:
SOMA
Virginia
DmC: Definitive Edition

Xbox One:
Gears of War: Ultimate Edition

Will post impressions later but SOMA has been my highlight, so far. Such an awesome experience.

I wouldn't call Virginia horror in any aspect...

Semajer

I've been going through the Silent Hill series recently while trying the hardest riddle levels.

Played SH for the first time and was really impressed by it. Replayed SH2 on the PS2 this time (Xbox previously) and enjoyed it. Tried the Maria scenario for the first time and enjoyed it despite the short length. Replayed SH3, but was frustrated by the huge leaps in logic that the game expects you to take for some of the riddles. I think some of those puzzle are really poorly presented. Played SH4 for the first time and wasn't particularly impressed. I didn't find it scary at all.

I've started Origins and it hasn't impressed me at all, but we'll see how it goes. I think I'll get the PC version of Homecoming so that I don't have to dig out my 360. Hopefully it will be discounted heavily during a Steam sale so that I don't have to waste much money on it.

I wouldn't call Virginia horror in any aspect...

It's got supernatural elements and the game is very surreal and creepy, at times. My October lineup isn't taking horror so literally, either. Lots of games blur the lines between being suspenseful/thrilling and that works well enough for me during this month haha!

Morfeo

Recommend Castlevania Rebirth for everybody.

Just gotta say, this second quest with Leon is tense as hell!

Morfeo

that guy walking around is scary

Indeed. He doesnt need many bullets to fall though, almost a little disappointing.

Anyways, Im leaving the Police Station now, but there is one room I havent opened, its the one in the west wing which requires a special key. Am I not supposed to open it? I guess it makes sense, since there are places Ive been with Leon I wasnt with Claire.

Indeed. He doesnt need many bullets to fall though, almost a little disappointing.

Anyways, Im leaving the Police Station now, but there is one room I havent opened, its the one in the west wing which requires a special key. Am I not supposed to open it? I guess it makes sense, since there are places Ive been with Leon I wasnt with Claire.

damn Morfeo, you play fast =D
that took me so long to get to where you are when i first played =)

Morfeo

damn Morfeo, you play fast =D
that took me so long to get to where you are when i first played =)

Dont forget I am a grown-ass man in my thirties :) I was actually almost able to finish the Leon campaign in one sitting, got to the last save point before I had to call it a day. Its easier when you have already done it once, even though things are slightly remixed now. As you saw from my picture on the last page, I did Claire in 5 hours, so will probably be less on this run. Btw, I havent died once. Died maybe 5-6 times with Claire (including 3 on the last boss).

Dont forget I am a grown-ass man in my thirties :) I was actually almost able to finish the Leon campaign in one sitting, got to the last save point before I had to call it a day. Its easier when you have already done it once, even though things are slightly remixed now. As you saw from my picture on the last page, I did Claire in 5 hours, so will probably be less on this run. Btw, I havent died once. Died maybe 5-6 times with Claire (including 3 on the last boss).

even now after all these years, on the first play through, it takes me about 14 hours for each new RE game. on 2nd and 3rd run, i get in under the 5 hours.
i'm probably really slow with survival horror.

i'm really curious how fast you will beat REmake for gamecube when you get to it.

Dervius

Like so many others I'm hitting REmake for the first time
just had some dogs jump through some windows scaring the bejesus out of me

Other than that I'might probably going to hit ng+ on Dying Light as it's one my favourite horror themed games, and potentially another Evil Within run.

I'd love to try SOMA but it's not hitting the X1 for ages yet.

Teknoman

I still got caught by the crow jump scare in RE2 Claire A. The hall way telegraphs it, but you still arent ready if you dont know when it happens lol. Plus the sound effects in RE2 are actually pretty good and punchy imo.

I still got caught by the crow jump scare in RE2 Claire A. The hall way telegraphs it, but you still arent ready if you dont know when it happens lol. Plus the sound effects in RE2 are actually pretty good and punchy imo.

yeah man, that got me a few times. Re2 upgrade shotgun sound is amazing and deafening =)

BTails

My favourite jump scares in the whole series are both in Resident Evil 2, and they're both because they subvert player expectations.

The first is when you open a doorway near the beginning of the police station, and during the "door opening/loading" transition, zombies pop out and attack! Through the first game and start of the second, you get so used to the door transitions that

(Minor Leon Police Station spoilers):
The second is when you come across Mr. X in the Police Station press room. Up until this point, any enemy that you escape from by leaving the room will not follow you. But if you run away from Mr. X, he bashes through the wall of the hallway outside. Terrifying the first time it happened!

dlauv

Grinding spookboxes in Overwatch.

I don't understand why, in the horde mode, everyone splits up. It doesn't make it any easier on the healer who has limited RoF and AoE pots. Combined with the Soldier who has his own AoE pot. It makes no sense to split up. It's especially frustrating when they would better serve guarding the door directly rather than leaving the last line of defense to the healer. And then they pop off of their Ults at the wrong times.

That and people get super strafe-happy because they're fighting bots. That doesn't help the healer, and it isn't helping you when the AI has auto-aim.

Probably wrong thread to vent, but it's Halloween-game related in two ways and horrific in two others.

Morfeo

even now after all these years, on the first play through, it takes me about 14 hours for each new RE game. on 2nd and 3rd run, i get in under the 5 hours.
i'm probably really slow with survival horror.

i'm really curious how fast you will beat REmake for gamecube when you get to it.

Yeah, looking forward to checking that out. Have a few games to beat first though :)

Yeah I agree, this was a really great moment for sure.

My favourite jump scares in the whole series are both in Resident Evil 2, and they're both because they subvert player expectations.

The first is when you open a doorway near the beginning of the police station, and during the "door opening/loading" transition, zombies pop out and attack! Through the first game and start of the second, you get so used to the door transitions that

(Minor Leon Police Station spoilers):
The second is when you come across Mr. X in the Police Station press room. Up until this point, any enemy that you escape from by leaving the room will not follow you. But if you run away from Mr. X, he bashes through the wall of the hallway outside. Terrifying the first time it happened!

Loved both of those, especially the one you spoiled. Made the game much more tense to always running the risk of him showing up.

Morfeo

Anyways, I havent been able to play for a few days, but with the weekend came the opportunity, and finally i got this:

FtXiuSd.jpg

Having now played through both missions, I got to say that this overall is a better game than the original. That guy that always chases you tips it over imo. The scenarios this time is also much more different, with quite a few areas only accessible as one of the characters. Again though, I have to say that the bosses were really disappointing. The real final boss on the train wasnt even able to do anything except look ugly before I had defeated it, which was boring. Best fight was probably Claires final considering the movement of the enemy.

But yeah, like I said last time, the environments and level design were both awesome, and the challenge is ok, although a bit lower than in the original I guess. Looking forward to tackling Dino Crisis next!

Anyways, I havent been able to play for a few days, but with the weekend came the opportunity, and finally i got this:

Having now played through both missions, I got to say that this overall is a better game than the original. That guy that always chases you tips it over imo. The scenarios this time is also much more different, with quite a few areas only accessible as one of the characters. Again though, I have to say that the bosses were really disappointing. The real final boss on the train wasnt even able to do anything except look ugly before I had defeated it, which was boring. Best fight was probably Claires final considering the movement of the enemy.

But yeah, like I said last time, the environments and level design were both awesome, and the challenge is ok, although a bit lower than in the original I guess. Looking forward to tackling Dino Crisis next!

i hope you have nice speakers hooked up to your system when shooting the leon mission shotgun. i loved that kickback. i wish they would reintroduce that kickback effect on other RE entries.

Morfeo

i hope you have nice speakers hooked up to your system when shooting the leon mission shotgun. i loved that kickback. i wish they would reintroduce that kickback effect on other RE entries.

Unfortunately this is one thing my setup still lacks :(

Teknoman

Does your tv have headphone port or some kinda aux input by any chance? Or even rca out? Just get some decent 2.1 speakers and you're good to go.

Teknoman

Just finished Splatterhouse: Wanpaku Graffiti. Actually not too bad... not that challenging aside from a few sections with spotty enemy layouts and some boss patterns, but not bad. Making it through some of the trouble sections is really just about keeping up a decent momentum with your attacks. I will say the shotgun weapon should've popped up earlier though, because thats just fun to use period. The kickback on it got me in trouble a few times lol.

The music isnt as good as the first game, but its scene setting in some spots.
Alot of the parodies were recognizable right off the bat, but there are a few that went over my head (the boss at Diamond Lake that has a knife and fork). Also turns out that the game has a couple of secret levels that make the ending show a prelude to Splatterhouse 1 of sorts.

Otherwise the game just ends with having Rick and Jennifer having been child actors in a horror movie.

Cimarron

Not exactly horror but just started to play Darksiders (it has demons. ). Why have I slept on this game for so long! It's pretty damn good!!!! 😺

Morfeo

Does your tv have headphone port or some kinda aux input by any chance? Or even rca out? Just get some decent 2.1 speakers and you're good to go.

oh yeah, agree with Tekno, 2.1 is a must!

i got a set from Craigslist for 10 bucks. you can prob score a 2.1 set local or ebay for dirt cheap and it makes a world of a difference =)

I do have a headphone port and it is definitely on my list to fix this. Thanks for the tips!

BTails

I failed at GAF Plays Horror this year... No time to game with a 3-month old at home. I've even got unopened Pumpkin Beers in my fridge downstairs. Oh well, haha.

UZwampJ.jpg

Over the past week I've been able to put a couple hours into Resident Evil 4. I'm in the Castle section right now, and I'm enjoying the game IMMENSELY. It's probably been 8 years or so since I played it last, and am surprised but how much I've forgotten about the game past the opening Village sequence.

With so little gaming time, I've been trying desperately to finish my Resident Evil series playthrough before 7 comes out. Everything else has gone to the wayside, including a lot of the retro games I wanted to play this year, such as Sweet Home.

As always though, I've enjoyed reading everyone's responses, and until next year, stay spoopy.

D.Lo

Didn't finish shattered memories in October, but yep I agree the motion crap sucks now. Which is a shame because the pointer torch is godlike. And the 'psychology' gimmicks are really fantastic.

Top Bottom