• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF plays...31 Nights of Horror...4

halfbeast

Banned
streamed and finished Outlast in one sitting. it took me 5 hours and I think it's the perfect length for this type of game. I've watched some of those quick plays during the release, I know the beginning by heart... you would think. I was probably too focused on chat (or the lack there of), so the first jump scare got me good.

it did get a bit predictable with time. do a thing, get chased, do another thing, get chased some more.

I got the DLC and the sequel demo ready, but to not overdo it, I'm gonna play Lakeview Cabin next.

Did Homecoming have any Team Silent involvement at all, or 0rigins? Both have Yamaoka soundtracks right?

yeah and that's about it.

Se_7_eN

I started this (Free on Origin Access)
OxnwvDG.png

Does it get any better?
I just got into space, saved that crew and went to the other ship... I am finding it very boring and predictable (Since I have finished Dead Space 1 and 2) I feel like they did nothing new with this one, typical vent duct pop outs and all.

Wanderer5

I finished FEAR earlier today. Like you said, felt repetitive, and the earlier levels felt samey, but it was still a blast.

Just finished it now. Interval 8 to the end were quite good and definitely a step up from the particularly repetitive middle part of the game that was ATC headquarters.

Overall I think it still holds up well (repetitiveness aside) 11 years later, and I glad I actually finished this finally.

I think I am going to look at Cry of Fear next which I played a bit before (and also went through the pretty good Afraid of Monsters Director Cut), but never finished it either.

BTails

How do the FEAR games run on modern systems? Is there any craziness you need to do (mods, etc) to get them to play nice in Windows 10?

I have them all on Steam, but haven't played any of them.

Wanderer5

How do the FEAR games run on modern systems? Is there any craziness you need to do (mods, etc) to get them to play nice in Windows 10?

I have them all on Steam, but haven't played any of them.

First game ran pretty fine for me as far I can tell (using windows 10). Didn't really have any issues.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Yup, though you get a "Scenario A" and "Scenario B", where things alter slightly depending on the character you play as first. The "Canon" seems to be Claire A/Leon B. Man, Resident Evil 2 is so good, and it looks awesome on the Dreamcast. I played through it early this year on DC
Before my DC died... :(

I myself played a little Nightmare on Elm St today. It was paired with the Toothless Pumpkin Sour Ale by Phillips Brewery.

Interesting, guess I just needs to get used to beat all these games at least twice. Have to pick up Nightmare on Elm St. btw, looks like another really fun adventure-title for the Nes. I love games like Zelda 2, so this should be up my alley.

Lothar

Banned
Interesting, guess I just needs to get used to beat all these games at least twice. Have to pick up Nightmare on Elm St. btw, looks like another really fun adventure-title for the Nes. I love games like Zelda 2, so this should be up my alley.

Do Claire A first because not only is it canon, it's better and more challenging and should be your first experience.

Morfeo

Do Claire A first because not only is it canon, it's better and more challenging and should be your first experience.

I was so looking forward to play as Leon after his amazing starring role in RE4, but I will take your word for it and start with Claire!

Morfeo

Ok I beat RE:DC with Chris:

(disregard the dishes in the reflection)¨

Like I wrote earlier, I think i like a few of the changes to DC in regards to item locations, enemy locations and camera angles. The difficulty seems higher, which means you have to play more carefully. Which I like. However, the introduction of the auto-aim system also means you wont waste bullets because of stupid camera angels, so that was another good change imo, even though it probably made the boss fights and especially the fight against Tyrant a bit too easy.

Anyways, the story makes no sense considering Wesker is now dead lol. Guess I shouldnt think too much about continuity when it comes to this series :)

Now onto Resident Evil 2 on the Dreamcast!

Morfeo

I just fired up RE2 quickly to test that it a bit on my Dreamcast, and there was not an option to play as Claire. I just started with Leon after the intro. There was however an "arranged mode" and also an "easy setting". Is one of these Clare? Or do i have to beat the game with Leon first?

Teknoman

I dunno, that crossbow saved me quite a few times already. Then again I use shotguns in games more often, so maybe that's why.

BTails

I just fired up RE2 quickly to test that it a bit on my Dreamcast, and there was not an option to play as Claire. I just started with Leon after the intro. There was however an "arranged mode" and also an "easy setting". Is one of these Clare? Or do i have to beat the game with Leon first?

RE2 is on two discs: one for Leon, and one for Claire. You play through one disc for Scenario A, then put in the other disc and load your game complete save for Scenario B.

Also, I watched that opening so many times, so good. "That guy's a maniac... WHY'D HE BITE ME?"

Lothar

Banned

Is there only one disc? Playstation RE2 had a Leon disc and a Claire disc.

Morfeo

RE2 is on two discs: one for Leon, and one for Claire. You play through one disc for Scenario A, then put in the other disc and load your game complete save for Scenario B.

Also, I watched that opening so many times, so good. "That guy's a maniac... WHY'D HE BITE ME?"

Is there only one disc? Playstation RE2 had a Leon disc and a Claire disc.

Aha, no, there are two discs. I just entered the one named disc 1, didnt realize the images of Leon and Claire actually would decide who I am going to play with. Thanks!

Edit: Btw, just by watching the opening, i am getting curious about how this game plays on the N64. Might have to get and check out that version as well.

That gun shop owner death scream is still horrible to hear. "Augh augggh auggghgggh!"

did you know they changed voice overs for that gunshop owner?

the ps1 preview disc vs. retail copy.

the old original voice says freeze in both versions. afterwards, a new voiceover is used that sounds more mellow for the retail.

on the re2 ps1 preview disc, gunshop voice acting sounded better and more consistent.

ron_bato

I started this (Free on Origin Access)
OxnwvDG.png

Does it get any better?
I just got into space, saved that crew and went to the other ship... I am finding it very boring and predictable (Since I have finished Dead Space 1 and 2) I feel like they did nothing new with this one, typical vent duct pop outs and all.

No, it doesn't get better sadly. It's the weakest of the three games, I still enjoyed it, but if you played 1 and 2, there's no reason to play the third game.

BTails

on the re2 ps1 preview disc, gunshop voice acting sounded better and more consistent.

I'm totally going to check this out tomorrow. I have the RE2 demo that came with the original release of RE Director's Cut.

I played some more Resident Evil 0 earlier today: I'd forgotten how much that game, even more than its predecessors, is an "item-management" sim. Seriously, between the two characters, and no item boxes, I'm spending half my time picking up, dropping, and exchanging items.

dlauv

Playing the original Alone in the Dark.

Wow. A horror game based around save scumming takes all of the air out of it.

I'm totally going to check this out tomorrow. I have the RE2 demo that came with the original release of RE Director's Cut.

I played some more Resident Evil 0 earlier today: I'd forgotten how much that game, even more than its predecessors, is an "item-management" sim. Seriously, between the two characters, and no item boxes, I'm spending half my time picking up, dropping, and exchanging items.

awesome! you have the preview disc, i played the heck out of the preview disc back in the days waiting for RE2 to come out so i noticed the changes right away once the retail came in.

honestly, i played Leon first bc that's who you play on the preview disc. plus on the retail copy, my Clair disc was on the bottom half of the 2 disc jewel case. prior to this game: most games were disc 1 was on top and disc 2 on the bottom.

I dunno, that crossbow saved me quite a few times already. Then again I use shotguns in games more often, so maybe that's why.

the weapons and upgrades for Leon imo were way too much fun.
esp the shotgun parts. my Gosh! going through large speakers, that sound was deafening. and that kickback...
i played claire second and was like meh...
speaking of weapons only....

storywise they're both equally awesome.

Se_7_eN

No, it doesn't get better sadly. It's the weakest of the three games, I still enjoyed it, but if you played 1 and 2, there's no reason to play the third game.

Thanks, I haven't played since I posted that and I probably won't.

There is a reason I didn't buy it and now I remember.

dlauv

Some uploads from my Xbox horror night. A little compressed and muddy from component, sorry.

Doom Tres, 480p, 16:9
BnpmjkS.png

Van Helsing, Big Head Mode, 480p, 4:3 stretched to 16:9 (?).
ji13XDi.png

Evil Dead: Regeneration, 720p, 16:9
IhrrAbQ.jpg

Morfeo

My update from RE2 is that I need an extension cable for my Dreamcast controller to play it comfortably lol. But I just got Bloodborne in the mail, might have to check that out instead :)

Teknoman

Good lord. The kitchen RE7 tech demo for PSVR is truly something. I know Pewdiepie and the like on streams flip out for horror games at any little thing...but now im thinking their reactions might not all be fake.

Your brain just reacts in a strange way when you have a big VR knife pointed at you. Your flight/fight mechanics actually kick in...and when that...infected lady put her hands on my face from behind, then looked over me...jeez.

Resident Evil 7 is going to be bananas.

Splatterhouse: Wanpaku Graffiti is pretty short i'm assuming, so i'll probably see what thats all about next. Havent really had time to sit back down with RE2 yet. Hopefully I didnt forget what I was going to do next lol. I think I saved right in the sewer system?

Morfeo

I actually played Splatterhouse Wanpaku a bit, and it seemed pretty hard. Maybe i just suck lol.

Morfeo

Finally got around to starting RE2 with Clair for real. And I am now at the second save room. Kinda want to start over, since I started out killing most zombies (because you always want to explore the environments for items), but i feel like that was a complete waste, and I have no ammo left. The graphics in this game is mindblowing compared to the original. Of course, this is the Dreamcast-version which I guess looks better than the PS1-original, but still. Really liked being outside in the city during the start, hope more of the game is located in that kind of environment.

BTails

Finally got around to starting RE2 with Clair for real. And I am now at the second save room. Kinda want to start over, since I started out killing most zombies (because you always want to explore the environments for items), but i feel like that was a complete waste, and I have no ammo left. The graphics in this game is mindblowing compared to the original. Of course, this is the Dreamcast-version which I guess looks better than the PS1-original, but still. Really liked being outside in the city during the start, hope more of the game is located in that kind of environment.

Yeah, I would restart. 99% of the zombies outside at the beginning can be sidestepped. I'd definitely kill them in the gun store though, so you can get the bowgun easy.

Also, the police department is basically a surrogate for the Spencer manor.
They even try to justify the crazy puzzles by making references to the police chief setting up all the statues/paintings, etc...

once you get to leon, it's awesome!

Morfeo

Yeah, I would restart. 99% of the zombies outside at the beginning can be sidestepped. I'd definitely kill them in the gun store though, so you can get the bowgun easy.

Also, the police department is basically a surrogate for the Spencer manor.
They even try to justify the crazy puzzles by making references to the police chief setting up all the statues/paintings, etc...

I ended up going on, but have played large portons of the game without any ammo lol. But my experience from RE1, means i do decently enough running around them. Just hope i dont miss any key items. I just got to the room where you can pick up the machine gun and expanded item holder, and without really thinking, i just took both since i really need some ammo. Then i found 40 bowgun shots so i kinda regret it. Will the Leon game we way harder without any of them? Might have to go back a save or two.

once you get to leon, it's awesome!

It is already awesome!

I ended up going on, but have played large portons of the game without any ammo lol. But my experience from RE1, means i do decently enough running around them. Just hope i dont miss any key items. I just got to the room where you can pick up the machine gun and expanded item holder, and without really thinking, i just took both since i really need some ammo. Then i found 40 bowgun shots so i kinda regret it. Will the Leon game we way harder without any of them? Might have to go back a save or two.

It is already awesome!

it's not too bad eitherway, but i save the item holder for leon as his weapons are dope to carry around as you heard me say already =) the machine gun, ehh..

Teknoman

I actually played Splatterhouse Wanpaku a bit, and it seemed pretty hard. Maybe i just suck lol.

The thing is, it seems like his axe reaches further than you realize, so it seems like (unlike regular Splatterhouse) the key is to just keep moving forward and swinging no matter what. Its like you have to get a certain momentum going.

Bl@de

Just played the first two episodes of Siren: Blood Curse (was on PS+ a couple of months ago). How could I ignore this game for so long as a Survival Horror fan? Really liked the opening, even if it is a little bit too linear.

Morfeo

it's not too bad eitherway, but i save the item holder for leon as his weapons are dope to carry around as you heard me say already =) the machine gun, ehh..

Alright, think I might do the same!

By the way, should I play with Leon in arranged mode or normal? What is the differences?

The thing is, it seems like his axe reaches further than you realize, so it seems like (unlike regular Splatterhouse) the key is to just keep moving forward and swinging no matter what. Its like you have to get a certain momentum going.

Gotta try this, thanks!

Alright, think I might do the same!

By the way, should I play with Leon in arranged mode or normal? What is the differences?

Gotta try this, thanks!

i'm not as versed with RE2 as the first RE, i haven't tried arrange mode yet as i brought RE2 at launch way back before they added arrange mode and dual shock support. i never got a copy w/ arrange mode till recently.

so far, i only beat Leon A/Claire B and Claire A/Leon B on normal.

if you end up playing both modes, i'd love to hear your thoughts. i'm going to try and get to it after clock tower 3.

Morfeo

Yeah I will, but probably only doing normal Leon for now.

Anyways, I just got this:

No idea why my ranking was so bad :(

So I think this game was awesome, just as the first one. However, it was both much easier and shorter imo, and I also dont think it was as special. The Mansion is used better than the police station, and there are areas where you basically wont ever have to return to. I also was slightly disappointed that not more of the game was in the city proper, and while the bosses probably was the worst part of the first game, they managed to be even worse here for some reason. With that said, the core gameplay is still just as fun as in the original, the graphics are waaay better, and the level design is still really good - just not as good as in the original. Looking forward to continue my enjoyment of the series!

MazeHaze

Banned
Im halfway through mission 10 of Alien Isolation. Great game. Very hard though, i find I only like to play about an hour at a time.

Morfeo

Also just realized that I dont actually own Resident Evil 3, so i am ordering that now. Maybe that is the cue I need to check out Dino Crisis in the meantime?

BTails

No idea why my ranking was so bad :(

Well, the number of saves didn't help you! Plus, I believe if you use the Assault Rifle, or the other super weapon (flamethrower or taser thing?), it counts against you. Also, I can't remember if it's RE2, but I'm pretty sure First Aid Sprays count against your rank too (but not herbs).

Morfeo

Well, the number of saves didn't help you! Plus, I believe if you use the Assault Rifle, or the other super weapon (flamethrower or taser thing?), it counts against you. Also, I can't remember if it's RE2, but I'm pretty sure First Aid Sprays count against your rank too (but not herbs).

Probably the saves then. I also used the laser weapon yeah, but actually didnt need many first aid sprays (or herbs) since there werent that many hard situations in the game.

Anyways, the puzzles in RE2 seemed way easier than in RE1. I actually had to look up a thing or two in the original, but here it felt like I just could cruise through it all. Maybe Im just getting the hang of these kind of games.

Lothar

Banned
Probably the saves then. I also used the laser weapon yeah, but actually didnt need many first aid sprays (or herbs) since there werent that many hard situations in the game.

Anyways, the puzzles in RE2 seemed way easier than in RE1. I actually had to look up a thing or two in the original, but here it felt like I just could cruise through it all. Maybe Im just getting the hang of these kind of games.

So did you finish the second half of the game yet?

BTails

Only Claire A so far. Not touched Leon and arranged yet. I guess I should play Leon in normal as well to be able to have it intersect with Claire?

Yup. Put in the Leon disc and load your Claire A Cleared save file. That should start you on Leon B, which will interact with your previous playthrough (and also give you the true ending to the game, complete with one last boss...)

I really enjoyed The Evil Within, it was possibly my favorite game of 2014. That said I never picked up the DLC because it seemed like it strayed from the things I liked most about the game. But since the season pass is just $10 now I picked that up and also started a fresh run of the main game. Been having a blast with the main game, like it just as much now as I did before.

Not a huge fan of the gameplay in the DLC, my favorite part of the game was the combat, and while it was fun to be able to use stealth to your advantage, I think focusing entirely on that for the gameplay aspect was not playing to the game's strengths. I'm only a short way into the DLC and already it's definitely clearing up parts of the story for me. And the executioner mission was a fun romp.

I really enjoyed The Evil Within, it was possibly my favorite game of 2014. That said I never picked up the DLC because it seemed like it strayed from the things I liked most about the game. But since the season pass is just $10 now I picked that up and also started a fresh run of the main game. Been having a blast with the main game, like it just as much now as I did before.

Not a huge fan of the gameplay in the DLC, my favorite part of the game was the combat, and while it was fun to be able to use stealth to your advantage, I think focusing entirely on that for the gameplay aspect was not playing to the game's strengths. I'm only a short way into the DLC and already it's definitely clearing up parts of the story for me. And the executioner mission was a fun romp.

Season pass is only $10 on consoles as well?

dlauv

Played Dead Rising 3. As much as I enjoyed the older formula for Dead Rising, DR3 is a lot of fun. The combat is pretty ace now, but I'm unsure that it's substantial enough to build an entire game around (Dead Rising 4). I just envision a musou. I kind of wished Rhonda was the protagonist. She's got a cool design, cool personality, follows Frank's non-mainstream body-type, and even gets a
badass flame-throwing arm

Beyond that, I played a bunch of licensed Xbox horror + Cold Fear. I kind of miss licensed games existing as much as they used to. They're fun to mull over in the choices they make and how disposable the design can be. Constantine (with a hilarious Keanu Reeves impersonator), more Van Helsing, and Spawn were on the menu. Constantine is a third-person shooter with poor controls and enemy design; Van Helsing is a Devil May Cry clone down to the unique jump arc, but fails on nearly all fronts in the combat department; and Spawn doesn't really know what it wants to be: it follows Devil May Cry's format very closely without being a rip-off, with a focus on platforming, critical hits, and gunplay over melee. It feels really rigid. I don't recommend any of these. Cold Fear is like a less-good Resident Evil 4 with more of the classic Resident Evil exploration/maze-like design. Unfortunately, the environments are samey and you're given no map, so that's a bit of a problem. It tells you to go places but they're all labeled in Russian, so you have to aim nebulously at the Russian words to trigger a translation. The combat works just well enough to be enjoyable, but the controls aren't great. It has a curious story parallel to Resident Evil 4 with a similar-looking protagonist and aiming mechanic for a game released only two months after.

Also played that free horror game, Blameless, on Steam. It's about 40 minutes tops and kind of spooky. A bit like a mix of a student project and creepypasta. Might be worth a look.

Spawn: Armageddon, 480p, 16:9
zfoVwbA.png

I'm going to be so sick of horror when the month's over.

Top Bottom