• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF plays...31 Nights of Horror...5

Phased

I still need to get Little Nightmares or play Soma which I bought forever ago. I gave up on Alien Isolation from last year. Nope. Gimme ghosts, demons, clowns, all kinds of creatures, just not Aliens or Predators.

I'll also continue my expensive af and time consuming Castlevania rampage I've been on for a few months now.

Currently playing Circle of the Moon and Order of Ecclesia is arriving soon.

If there's one thing you do, it should be playing SOMA. Even if you just want the story and atmosphere, use the wuss mod and dive in. I played through it twice, once without and once with. It totally changes the atmosphere of the game and not at all to its detriment.

Teknoman

Hey so I'm a big wimp when it comes to horror games. I can watch horror movies all day, but cannot for the life of me get through any horror game. Any advice as to how to get over this?

Play em with a friend or during daylight is all I can say. Best to play with someone so you can talk out the creepy moments.

Spyware

If there's one thing you do, it should be playing SOMA. Even if you just want the story and atmosphere, use the wuss mod and dive in. I played through it twice, once without and once with. It totally changes the atmosphere of the game and not at all to its detriment.
Yeah Wuss mode changes SOMA into a pretty different game with a different feel. I like it more with the mod and find it much creepier that way.

It's on Steam workshop but there's a link for the DRM free version too! :)
Rekommended for everyone who hasn't played it that way.

Luminaire

Play em with a friend or during daylight is all I can say. Best to play with someone so you can talk out the creepy moments.

To add onto this, if you can't get friends together in the same room, you could always stream. Another option is do a letsplay, even if you don't plan on publishing or sharing it. Constantly talking and having commentary going may help you. When I'm recording, I definitely feel less submersed in the atmosphere than when I play alone in the dark on the floor with headphones.

BTA

I really want to play it with that mod but my foolish self actually bought and refunded it on Steam and then bought it on PS4 because I thought it would be easier to get friends together for it that way.

I then immediately learned about the mod and we never played it together anyway so it was an absolutely terrible decision; I wish I'd heard about the mod first before I did that. Guess I'll just eat that $20 and rebuy it on Steam during a sale at some point? I might just risk it on PS4 still but I'm a wimp who, importantly, really likes reading notes in games so it sucks to not have that mod.

Played through Narcosis today and pretty impressed. Some very unique ocean floor horror. I really liked the flare mechanic, it led to some cool organic scares. Such as
struggling to see in a dark cave crawling with spiders, lighting a flare only to see a horrifyingly large spider right in front of me.
Check it out if you want some atmospheric, lonely, ocean floor horror.

That's so cool, glad you enjoyed it!

By the way, @Dusk Golem has a nice survey of the indie-horror scene so far this year. Gave away a few keys over there; if you'd like to experience Narcosis for yourself, here're some more. Make sure to mention if you've claimed one, and please consider leaving a review, if you enjoy, thanks!

Steam Keys:
  1. PCHXJ-97ANA-AZQZR - CLAIMED
  2. FH8T7-5ZIMI-BA9CY - CLAIMED
  3. K9PPD-337CR-9Q0C0 - CLAIMED
  4. PLIJJ-3VL6H-XM85Y - CLAIMED
  5. 2HYPR-4NLVV-D5GY2 - CLAIMED
Xbox Keys:
  1. GM9P7-DFWMW-922WJ-D9FYC-6P74Z - CLAIMED
  2. HQRCQ-9K6Q9-MHPTV-Q9Q4J-T4M6Z - CLAIMED
  3. HV4MM-2F9DT-DVQDT-T466G-M7PJZ - CLAIMED
  4. T3DJV-33HD4-JJQ32-3PKJP-D2PFZ - CLAIMED
  5. 66YMD-9D632-JX9VX-3YT2P-2QVFZ - CLAIMED

Currently at the end of Resident Evil 3, going to do another play through of it recorded/streamed though later. Love this series but I only beat this one once, and now 8 or so years later for my second play is like a whole new game.

Planning on doing RE0-3 this month. Maybe squeeze in Galarians and Silent Hill 3 while I'm at it, later of which I've only played the demo for dozens of times.

Grabbed the second key for Narcosis, thanks! Saw this game some time ago and caught my interest thanks to the setting, can't wait to try it out!

Teknoman

I still need to get Little Nightmares or play Soma which I bought forever ago. I gave up on Alien Isolation from last year. Nope. Gimme ghosts, demons, clowns, all kinds of creatures, just not Aliens or Predators.

I'll also continue my expensive af and time consuming Castlevania rampage I've been on for a few months now.

Currently playing Circle of the Moon and Order of Ecclesia is arriving soon.

As long as you left Legends in the grave.

I've started this off by trying to finish Resident Evil for the first time in over 20 years. I'm playing the PS4 Remaster and boy... memory and time mixed with things they've changed is catching me out. I keep expecting certain things to happen and they don't, and then I remember puzzles before I've finished other puzzles and that throws me off too.

Other than that it's been great to get back into Resident Evil again. I'll continue my playthrough today LIVE ON TWITCH.TV!

https://www.twitch.tv/mrluchador

Resident Evil Playthrough: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/177848485, https://www.twitch.tv/videos/178642473

Played a few hours of Koudelka, not sure if I am going to stick with it. It's got a nice atmosphere and the battle system is actually quite interesting, but it's just so, so slow. I'll give it another shot tomorrow though.

Teknoman

Oh man...I just started Yomawari: Night Alone...

I...was not expecting that to be the start of the game, that actually kinda hurt.

Started White Day a couple days ago and so far I'm loving the atmosphere and old school vibes. I've also got The Evil Within 2 on preorder and some backlogged indies so this should be a pretty good horror month for me.

Currently playing REmake and RE0 on my XBox One S! I love playing horror games in the dark autumn and winter months here in Norway. Last year was RE1 (Saturn) and RE2 (PS1).

A pic of each!

REmake
a35e03ce-3be6-4af5-93nnx71.png

RE0
screenshot-original2zmav4.png

I wish there was a more active and evergreen thread on horror games here. I've recently gotten really into playing horror games. I've only a PS4 so I know my options are somewhat limited especially when it comes to older games.

But anyways, I'm currently in the midst of The Evil Within. Just about to start Chapter 9 and so far it's been great. Not perfect, and there's been a couple annoying bits but yeah, very fun so far. I'm hoping to finish it and maybe the DLC before The Evil Within 2 hits.

That's probably the only game(s) I'll have time to play within October. But after October? I'm sticking with the horror genre. I still want to replay RE7 in VR, I've got Resident Evil 1 Remaster that I need to start.

BTails

I wish there was a more active and evergreen thread on horror games here. I've recently gotten really into playing horror games. I've only a PS4 so I know my options are somewhat limited especially when it comes to older games.

But anyways, I'm currently in the midst of The Evil Within. Just about to start Chapter 9 and so far it's been great. Not perfect, and there's been a couple annoying bits but yeah, very fun so far. I'm hoping to finish it and maybe the DLC before The Evil Within 2 hits.

That's probably the only game(s) I'll have time to play within October. But after October? I'm sticking with the horror genre. I still want to replay RE7 in VR, I've got Resident Evil 1 Remaster that I need to start.

I would definitely recommend the DLC before Evil Within 2: the story is actually advanced rather meaningfully during the first two DLC packs. They're quite short, so it shouldn't take long to plow through them. The third DLC pack has you playing as the Safe-Head guy, which is fun, but not necessary.

Quikies83

That's so cool, glad you enjoyed it!

By the way, @Dusk Golem has a nice survey of the indie-horror scene so far this year. Gave away a few keys over there; if you'd like to experience Narcosis for yourself, here're some more. Make sure to mention if you've claimed one, and please consider leaving a review, if you enjoy, thanks!

Steam Keys:
  1. PCHXJ-97ANA-AZQZR
  2. FH8T7-5ZIMI-BA9CY
  3. K9PPD-337CR-9Q0C0
  4. PLIJJ-3VL6H-XM85Y
  5. 2HYPR-4NLVV-D5GY2
Xbox Keys:
  1. GM9P7-DFWMW-922WJ-D9FYC-6P74Z
  2. HQRCQ-9K6Q9-MHPTV-Q9Q4J-T4M6Z
  3. HV4MM-2F9DT-DVQDT-T466G-M7PJZ
  4. T3DJV-33HD4-JJQ32-3PKJP-D2PFZ
  5. 66YMD-9D632-JX9VX-3YT2P-2QVFZ

Thanks for this. All keys are gone, btw. Thanks to all gaffers who posted that they claimed keys...

tav7623

Thanks RastaGundam, looks interesting I'm gonna give the game a go , and just so you know I took Xbox key #4 (I originally went for Xbox Key #5 but it says it's already been redeemed) as for what I'm planning on playing this month as part of Gaf's 31 Nights of Halloween 5 ....well it won't be too many games cause there are quite a few movies I'm also planning on watching this month and most of them (but not all of them) will be games I initially started playing, but never got around to finishing (cause I got hit with a case of the "Ooooo Shiny Shiny"'s while playing them)

Friday the 13th: The Game (Xbox One) - I've already played quite a bit of this game (full disclosure I was a backer for this game on Kickstarter), but despite it's flaws (of which there are many...oh god there are many many flaws) I'm still having a blast playing this game and I can't wait to terrorize counselors as Part IV Jason around the upcoming Jarvis House Map both of which should hopefully drop later this month along with the "rain" update.

Narcosis (Xbox One)

The Evil Within 2 (PS4) - really liked the first game so I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on the sequel.

Fatal Frame 5: Maiden of Black Water (Wii U) - I got about halfway through the game (Drop 7 if I remember correctly) when it come out and got side tracked so lately I've been thinking about going back and finishing it up especially since Nintendo is gonna be shutting down Miiverse pretty soon.

Siren (PS2 Classic on PS4) - I initially tried playing Siren on the PS2 a while back (like 3-4 years ago), but I had a couple of issues (like with some PS2 games where it was sooo dark you could barely see what your character let alone anything right in front of you while playing on a HDTV....like the GD truck keys you need to escape the possessed cop at the beginning of the game that were sitting on the corner of a f****n table in the small office next to the truck...man I can't tell you how many times I died at the hands of that cop trying to find those damn keys) so I ended up giving up on the game until I heard they had come out with a version of the game on PS4 with some limited graphical enhancements.Well I'm now giving the PS4 version a go and while I've only finished the very first segment/"hour" with the boy I am so far enjoying the enhancements that have been made to the game for the PS4 version (I can see things now GD :p)

Resident Evil 0 HD (Xbox One) - I initially started playing this game way back when on the Gamecube (I got to, I believe it was, the training facility after the giant bat boss fight in the cathedral) before giving up on it (If I remember correctly it had something to do with me somehow screwing myself over by leaving a key item on the floor back in a section that I could no longer get back to) and decided to give it another go when it got a HD re-release (along side REmake) on Xbox One. Well I got about half way through the game (I was almost about to enter the Bat boss fight) when the "Ooooo Shiny Shiny"'s struck, but I'm gonna try to go back this month and finally beat this game, which is currently one of the two "mainline" (O,1,2,3,CV/CVX,4,5,6,7, Revelations 1 & 2) RE games I've yet to beat (the other being RE 4).

Perception (PS4) - I have already played about half of the game (which I had played when it first came out) and while I wasn't particularly blown away by the game (in my book it's pretty much "eh" as in not bad, but not good, kinda in the middle) so far, but I've decided to try finishing the rest of the game (I'm halfway through chapter 3 of 5) as part of 31 Nights of Horror.

Bonus Games: If I (somehow) manage to finish all the games (well except for F13: The game cause it's an online game) mentioned above and still have time here is a list of additional games I'm gonna try to beat this month.

White Night (Xbox One)
Outlast 1 & 2 (PS4)
Night Trap 25th Anniversary Edition (PS4) - I had initially beaten the game when it got released, but I got the bad ending so I think I'll shoot for the good ending.
Lone Survivor: Director's Cut (PS4)
Alien Isolation (Xbox One)

Luminaire

I would definitely recommend the DLC before Evil Within 2: the story is actually advanced rather meaningfully during the first two DLC packs. They're quite short, so it shouldn't take long to plow through them. The third DLC pack has you playing as the Safe-Head guy, which is fun, but not necessary.
The DLC has one of my most memorable horror game moments that still haunts me. I’d totally recommend it.

Hmm, good to know, I'll definitely start the DLC once I finish the main game then. Just out of curiosity, I'm on Chapter 9 currently, how far along am I in the game?

MattyH

might do a playthrough of rule of rose this year and maybe the gamecube resi evils now ive got a decent CRT

Luminaire

Hmm, good to know, I'll definitely start the DLC once I finish the main game then. Just out of curiosity, I'm on Chapter 9 currently, how far along am I in the game?
Almost 2/3. I can give you the number of chapters if you want, but it’s best to be in the dark. Just prepare for shit to go crazy and get awesome.

Almost 2/3. I can give you the number of chapters if you want, but it’s best to be in the dark. Just prepare for shit to go crazy and get awesome.

Thanks! Yeah, I'll just keep goin' and be in the dark. Being 2/3 of the way through tells me I should be able to finish up by this weekend (hopefully).

I have a whole host of classic era horrors to play that I've never played before

Parasite Eve
Parasite Eve 2

Silent Hill
Silent Hill 2
Silent Hill 3
Silent Hill 4

X-Files (PS)
X-Files: Resist or Serve (PS2)

I remember being fascinated by a Parasite Eve trailer that was on one of the disks on the official Saturn Magazine. I tried to convince my friend to buy it, but he wasn't into those type of games.

Strangely, I don't know if it was ever released, as I can't seem to find any mention of it haha

Thanks for this. All keys are gone, btw. Thanks to all gaffers who posted that they claimed keys...

Thanks for letting me know — updated (and, sorry you didn't get a chance to snag one). If anyone's interested, the game will be 50% off for a week on Steam, starting this Wednesday — and as part of assorted Halloween sales later this month, too.

On a side note, seeing all the Silent Hill 2 shout-outs reminded me to share this little promotional gem — fairly sure it's one of only a handful in existence.

And, to bring it all around full-circle: Silent Hill maestro Akira Yamaoka isn't name-checked in Narcosis without good reason — he generously contributed the track we used for our first trailer, and it's also featured in the closing credits. (caveat: the trailer footage is reeeally old, long before there was actually any "game," per se, to make a trailer from — this one's a little more reflective of the final product),

Yea, I also own both of those and have played neither. Maybe I'll check this out this month too

Actually, I tell a somewhat small lie, I've played X-Files (PS) (I've just checked the box to see) on the PC back in the day. It came in a wonderful box and had no less than 9 disks or so (maybe less). I remember it being decent, but hey, I'll play it again.

Did P.T. last night, finally. A very uneasy couple of hours, with a few wicked jump scares. Not quite at the level as Outlast in that regard, but close.

Was happy to make it all the way to the final puzzle without looking anything up, but I had no choice at that point. Thought that might have been the end of the line, as I didn't think I had a
PS4 microphone
, but I did have one laying around and eventually solved it with the help of Mr. Kojima.

Sadly, I then had to re-watch the Silent Hills trailer and had my heart broken all over again. I did have a moment of catharsis, though, dishing out a solid "Fuck Konami!" when their logo popped up at the end...

Up next, it's Observer, then Amnesia: The Dark Descent and The Evil Within 2. Should be a very solid month.

BTails

Do Parasite Eve 1 asap.

YES, THIS. Parasite Eve 1 is amazing. Pro-tip, do not try to save after the beating the final boss. Trying to be vague, but it'll make sense if you get to the end.

On a side note, seeing all the Silent Hill 2 shout-outs reminded me to share this little promotional gem — fairly sure it's one of only a handful in existence.

This is SUPER cool.

Did P.T. last night, finally. A very uneasy couple of hours, with a few wicked jump scares. Not quite at the level as Outlast in that regard, but close.

Was happy to make it all the way to the final puzzle without looking anything up, but I had no choice at that point. Thought that might have been the end of the line, as I didn't think I had a
PS4 microphone
, but I did have one laying around and eventually solved it with the help of Mr. Kojima.

DID U RIKE IT? Haha, so glad I still have access to PT.

I still wonder what that Silent Hill game would have been like (even though I've never played more than 10 minutes of the first one).

Luminaire

Hm, what’s the best way to play the Silent Hill games these days? I have the PS3 HD Collection (lol) as well as a backwards compatible 60gb PS3. Wondering if I should snag 2-4 for PS2...

BTails

Hm, what’s the best way to play the Silent Hill games these days? I have the PS3 HD Collection (lol) as well as a backwards compatible 60gb PS3. Wondering if I should snag 2-4 for PS2...

Without tweaking the PC releases to hell and back, PS2 is still the definitive for 2-4. If possible, grab the "Greatest Hits" release of 2, as it has the extra content that was added to the Xbox port.

The Xbox ports of 2 and 4 are actually really well done, most of the differences are extremely small. So if it's easier to play on Xbox, don't feel like you're getting a butchered port.

Stay far away from the HD release, even after the PS3 one was patched.

Hey so I'm a big wimp when it comes to horror games. I can watch horror movies all day, but cannot for the life of me get through any horror game. Any advice as to how to get over this?

I was in your shoes (and still am to a point). What's helped me is NOT using headphones and playing during the daytime. To a more extreme extent, if you don't mind spoiling yourself too much, glancing over a walkthrough or a Let's Play helps a bit too. Since you'll know what to expect. Or you can play on easy mode. Or, another option, if you're in an area that's freaking you out, just charge in. More often than not, if you play tentatively you just let the game work you.

BTails

I was in your shoes (and still am to a point). What's helped me is NOT using headphones and playing during the daytime. To a more extreme extent, if you don't mind spoiling yourself too much, glancing over a walkthrough or a Let's Play helps a bit too. Since you'll know what to expect. Or you can play on easy mode. Or, another option, if you're in an area that's freaking you out, just charge in. More often than thought, if you play tentatively you just let the game work you.

This last point is what has kept me going through many horror games, especially ones where you can't fight back (Amnesia, Outlast, Alien Isolation): basically just go for it. Worst thing that happens: you die. I find once I've died a couple of times in a horror game, I tend to relax a lot more.

Spyware

Yeah, never go slow and never let the game build up that tension if you want to make it easier to handle.
Imagine someone is waiting to scare you behind a corner. If you charge at the corner and scream at them it won't be nearly as scary, or maybe not scary at all :D Play the game that way and it will be much less scary.

eh? Did Hellnight PS1 go up a decent amount on ebay in the last year or so?

I remember it being noticeably less than it seems to be floating at right now.

Anyways, if I was going to order one of these, Hellnight or Chaos Break, what would GAF go with?

IrishNinja

yesssss love this time of year, love m'man teknoman's dedication to this effort

last year i did a lot of classic Resident Evils that i'd not finished, this year i'm looking at:

Clock Tower (SNES - the translation's already on my everdrive)
RE7 (borrowing from a friend! loved the demo)
D2 (finally beat D on saturn last year)
System Shock 2 (this one's been on my list forever, we'll see)

that's about it, i'd love to get back to Costume Quest but i think my save was lost when my old PS3 died. the only classic RE besides 0 that i never finished was Code Veronica, and ive tried so many times over the years but it just never happens. i swear, that one & Dino Crisis are just never gonna end, haha.

BTails

yesssss love this time of year, love m'man teknoman's dedication to this effort

last year i did a lot of classic Resident Evils that i'd not finished, this year i'm looking at:

Clock Tower (SNES - the translation's already on my everdrive)
RE7 (borrowing from a friend! loved the demo)
D2 (finally beat D on saturn last year)
System Shock 2 (this one's been on my list forever, we'll see)

Yeah, Tekno's a gem. Irish, you're gonna love Clock Tower. But I'd keep a pen and paper handy or you'll get lost.

RE7 was a treat too. I played it in VR, looking forward to the DLC at Christmas.

Top Bottom