• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Running Club |OT| - Couch to Marathons, All abilities

panda-zebra

At 4.6mph, that's 13 minutes for a mile. Geez, that feels so far away, but then again so did 5 minutes a couple months ago.

You're doing really well and going about it right.

When I started just under 2 years ago, I'd drop my son off at school and see how far I could run back home. Distance is less than 800 metres. Most times I wouldn't make the whole distance even with a nice downhill before the middle, but I kept giving it a go every few days. I might have had some upper body physical strength thanks to work, but absolutely zero cardio capacity and legs used to using a whole different combination of muscles, was quite a surprise/mild disappointment.

It really pays to keep at it and not push yourself too far in the early weeks and months. About 6 or 7 weeks later I fired up Strava and went for my first 'proper' run, then there was no going back... but there was plenty of too-much-too-soon noobishness to follow that held me back in later months, but it was exciting and addictive seeing early improvement once I really got moving. Keeping it steady will pay off in the long term :)

Up to 7:30 minutes of non-stop running today. Personal best.

Could have gone a bit more, but want to keep attainable goals.

So now I run regular 10ks and Half-Marathons (and occasionally a bit more...) and it started when I went to the gym one day and was jealous of the people on the treadmill. Since school I had never been able to do cross country or anything other than sprinting but I thought I'd give it a go and I jogged very slowly for 3 minutes on the treadmill and was so pleased with myself. "I just ran for 3 minutes without stopping!". I then just gradually increased that number over many months until I was doing up to 21k on the treadmill and then started to take it outside and into races. So basically I know exactly how you feel at the moment! Keep going and just make improvements little by little.

Just wanted to pop in and give praise to a new pair of shoes I did a first run in - Saucony Kinvara 8.

I did good with the Kinvara 5 (set my best half marathon time in them), but I started feeling like I wanted more "cushion", so I went through a few other shoes. Wanting to move back, I gave the version 8 of the Kinvara a try. They have everything I liked about the older model - very light weight, flexible/neutral, 4mm drop, etc., but they're nicer (better construction, more comfortable) in every way. I had forgotten the feeling of running in a light shoe - it's great!

Just did the race this morn at Santa Monica - but I could feel those dreaded shin splints coming on during some longer runs training - so I settled for just a 10K again. Also these "A Better World" running folk seem to do pretty regular races so I'll go for their 15K probably next month?

10K at 00:54:29 - 8.46/mile or 5.27/KM

I thought it was a PB, but I checked again just now 5 second slower my best from May! Serves me right for being lazy and not sprinting for the finishing line - damn! ;_;

Was a bit of a boring route up and down the beach, I was a bit surprised that there weren't that many marshalls considering how busy it was with cyclists and pedestrians on the route, it was a pretty relaxed affair and easy to get to from where I'm staying. Def looking forward to the next one!

Rmagnus

Banned
Trying really hard to improve at running but don't seem to be working out. Just started getting into running last year. Currently 5km takes me about 27 to 28 mins. Cant seem to reach the 20 mins mark.

Fistwell

Gemüsestäbchen;239131575 said:
Just did the race this morn at Santa Monica - but I could feel those dreaded shin splints coming on during some longer runs training - so I settled for just a 10K again. Also these "A Better World" running folk seem to do pretty regular races so I'll go for their 15K probably next month?

I thought it was a PB, but I checked again just now 5 second slower my best from May! Serves me right for being lazy and not sprinting for the finishing line - damn! ;_;
Good job! Don't worry about breaking PBs too much, if you keep at it, you'll keep tearing through them. Having fun is important too! :)

Trying really hard to improve at running but don't seem to be working out. Just started getting into running last year. Currently 5km takes me about 27 to 28 mins. Cant seem to reach the 20 mins mark.
If you tell us your age, physical condition and weekly routine we can help! :3

@runningGAF: Thanks for all the nice suggestions you guys. Unfortunately I ended up doing no running at all on my trip. Too many things to do, too much stress, too tired. I even had to hang-out with people and socialize (the HORROR!). It was fun but way too busy. No asian GPS file for this guy yet. :(

Jintor

still on couch25k. Keep failing at the 20 min cont run mark, but can reliably got 3x5min runs with 3 min walks between. Working on it.

Gemüsestäbchen;239131575 said:

Was a bit of a boring route up and down the beach, I was a bit surprised that there weren't that many marshalls considering how busy it was with cyclists and pedestrians on the route, it was a pretty relaxed affair and easy to get to from where I'm staying. Def looking forward to the next one!

That's a really solid time. Like Fistwell said don't worry too much about PBs: sometimes you are more tired than normal or aren't feeling in top shape. You also have to keep in mind some races are faster than others even if the distance is the same.

@runningGAF: Thanks for all the nice suggestions you guys. Unfortunately I ended up doing no running at all on my trip. Too many things to do, too much stress, too tired. I even had to hang-out with people and socialize (the HORROR!). It was fun but way too busy. No asian GPS file for this guy yet. :(

Glad you managed to have fun, and you can always justify this week off of running as deloading and come back to it refreshed. GPS-wise you know what they say: you gotta leave something so that you have an excuse to return :)

If you give us some details about your training we can give some pointers :)

still on couch25k. Keep failing at the 20 min cont run mark, but can reliably got 3x5min runs with 3 min walks between. Working on it.

You can always repeat that week of the C25K right? In any case keep at it, you're doing great!

Rmagnus

Banned
I am 34 yr old dood, I normally run 3 times a week, Monday 5km, Wednesday 8km and Fridays 5km. Sunday will have a short basketball session. Did my first half marathon last year and came in at 2hr 30mins, did one this April and clocked 2hrs 20mins. Doing the Bangkok half marathon in November and really hope I can hit the 2hr 15 mins mark.

I hit 27 minutes of non-stop running yesterday and I felt great! Buying the water bottle really helped. I'm running pretty slow (about a 12 minute mile) but once I'm able to start running for 30-35 minutes at a time, I'll start focusing on picking up speed.

I'm flying to France today and have planned out a few routes along the Seine - hopefully I can drag myself out for a run in an absolutely beautiful and scenic part of the world.

Keep it up! As mentioned above, don't hesitate to repeat a week if needed. The important thing is to keep going. :) Have you tried running for 10 minutes, taking a walk break and then running for another 10 minutes?

panda-zebra

Had maintenence physio this morning as got a hilly marathon on Saturday. Was supposed to help recover after weeks of 40-50 miles before the real taper, but I haven't done any 40-50 mile weeks, haven't even been out walking the doge. What I've actually been doing is resting after a slight injury, working too hard and having nothing left for running, then falling victim to the same manflu that's wiped everyone out 'round these parts in recent weeks and spent best part of a week in bed playing World of Final Fantasy. Not a traditional training plan, least I'll be well rested.

Good job! Don't worry about breaking PBs too much, if you keep at it, you'll keep tearing through them. Having fun is important too! :)

That's a really solid time. Like Fistwell said don't worry too much about PBs: sometimes you are more tired than normal or aren't feeling in top shape. You also have to keep in mind some races are faster than others even if the distance is the same.

Thanks fellas - I know what you mean - but it's still something appealing to aim for.
Definitely had a lot of fun, met some local LA running folk too and that finishing line.
I think the biggest win is that I can put away sub 55-min 10Ks now, it's so cool to see the gains, I mean I was doing ~1hr 5-10min 10Ks only a year ago!
Also I realised I've done 3 x 10Ks in 3 months, so maybe I'll make this a regular monthly thing, getting medals is bloody addictive :p

Edit: Just saw the results - top 10 of 10K runners and top 5 for females - haha guess everyone's pretty amateur!

Haha, another time I guess! It's so hard to keep to any fitness regime when your schedule changes so much.

What kind of strength exercises do you all do to prevent injuries?

I have had adventures in strenth training - mostly due to getting injured! - and I can share with you my discoveries?

Basically, I had had a gammy left hip/waist since an ill-fated half-marathon last year (not enough training, too much partying ahead of it) and have been bounced around the NHS trying to find ways to allieviate it. I can say today, it feels a bit tender after the race on Sunday, but overall, I'm almost free of pain on a day-to-day basis which had been the case for about 6 months!

Bascially, I found out from physiotherapists that my core muscles are not strong enough to sustain the running I've been doing, with a lack of central strength and stability, I'm causing injuries. Here's where it gets interesting, it was identified as my back core set, not my front.

So whilst I had been doing this ab / core muscle training, that someone on this very forum suggested this workout - (maybe Duebrithil? Really good workout btw!) Which I think was helping with my front core, I was still weak.

So one of the physciotherapist was delightfully realistic - no one likes doing physio - and recommended a simple exercise, that is easy to do whenever you have time.
- Relax, and rest your finger on your belly button.
- Suck your stomach, so that your finger is no longer touching your belly button.
- Recall the sensation, which muscles are being used, you;ll feel it in your back mostly and sides. Obviously don't need to use your finger again, it's just to help you be aware of which muscles.
- From now on, whenever you're doing anything (sitting on public transport, walking around, running!) hold these muscles in. You will be able to breathe etc., you just have to get used to it, but this allows you to tense and strengthen back core muscles.

I know it sounds odd, but I can safely say it's made a huge improvement on my hip within a fortnight (I mean I didn't do any other the other stuff they told me to do haha, so I knew it was working!). And I also kind of noticed of late (been doing the new physio stuff for 2 months now), I have a little more definition in my mid section.

Next, from Fistwell and others on the forum, I have been thinking more about my form and breathing - more relaxed overall to not have tense muscles and breathing through my nose deeper into my lungs - all has made running so much more pleasurable, natural feeling and fun.

I know for sure I've not even stratched the surface and definitely need to mix up more strength training into my regime - I just personally can't do gyms...
But maybe you find that interesting! Be open to hearing of other's people's regimes too!

- - -

Ooh, it's apparently Global Running Day on Wednesday 7th June.
So is this anything actually cool, or a load of bollocks?
I see it as a way to meet more folk out here in US, trying to look up some cool events to participate in - anyone thinking about doing any special runs?

Fisico

I'm running a 10k next Sunday, my initial objective was to beat my PB (38:44) possibly going for 37:30.
However I had a bit of a struggle with my right knee after my last marathon early April, I also had an annoying injury to my right elbow which prevented me from training properly and finally 10 days ago I fell on the road while riding my road bike at 30km/h which ended up on losing some skin on the left elbow and my left ankle.
I tried to run last thursday and it was pretty easy at 12km/h for 50mn, at the end I tried to push a little to see if I was ok and the top of my left leg began to hurt, was still able to easily go at ~14km/h though

This sunday I took my road bike for 1h, 29km/h with a fair amount of slopes, no problem at all, I'm running today and Thursday but I'm in a bit of an unknown situation about how I'll perform this week-end, it's a pretty new situation for me to be bruised all over like that, I'll try to be as careful as I can but at the same time I still want to perform :p

What kind of strength exercises do you all do to prevent injuries?

I've tinkered with strength crosstraining for a long time and I credit my best times and plateau breakers to it. It's no big secret but I had to stumble on it when I started doing obstacle runs... before that, I was just single mindedly running for speed and distance with no consideration of upper body strength. But then I discovered that being able to do more chinups actually makes me run faster. :)

I highly recommend it if you're only getting tiny gains from duration/pace schedules... having better body composition and less fatigue makes all the difference in a race.

Never really took to dumbbells but kettle bells do amazing things for core strength (properly executed swings and Turkish get-ups.) Having said that, I feel bodyweight exercises is where it's at - it feels like a natural extension of running where it's just your technique, body, grit and determination with no BS. Not a fan of running with weights - it hurts running form and increases injury risk for very slight return; do a proper circuit outside of running days and you'll get stronger much faster.

I do many variations of planks, lunges, squats and push-ups with elements of balance and stability. Hill or stair reps get great results too but they can be drains on motivation because it's so tedious.

Gemüsestäbchen;239231385 said:
Thanks fellas - I know what you mean - but it's still something appealing to aim for.
Definitely had a lot of fun, met some local LA running folk too and that finishing line.
I think the biggest win is that I can put away sub 55-min 10Ks now, it's so cool to see the gains, I mean I was doing ~1hr 5-10min 10Ks only a year ago!
Also I realised I've done 3 x 10Ks in 3 months, so maybe I'll make this a regular monthly thing, getting medals is bloody addictive :p

Edit: Just saw the results - top 10 of 10K runners and top 5 for females - haha guess everyone's pretty amateur!

I think some regular racing can be very useful to training. You get the competition effect you don't normally have on regular days, and people running at your pace/faster than you do wonders on making you feel less tired.

Alas, can't take the credit for suggesting the video. I did post some strength exercises recommended by "Run Less, Run Faster" though, if you want to give it a search.

I'm running a 10k next Sunday, my initial objective was to beat my PB (38:44) possibly going for 37:30.
However I had a bit of a struggle with my right knee after my last marathon early April, I also had an annoying injury to my right elbow which prevented me from training properly and finally 10 days ago I fell on the road while riding my road bike at 30km/h which ended up on losing some skin on the left elbow and my left ankle.
I tried to run last thursday and it was pretty easy at 12km/h for 50mn, at the end I tried to push a little to see if I was ok and the top of my left leg began to hurt, was still able to easily go at ~14km/h though

This sunday I took my road bike for 1h, 29km/h with a fair amount of slopes, no problem at all, I'm running today and Thursday but I'm in a bit of an unknown situation about how I'll perform this week-end, it's a pretty new situation for me to be bruised all over like that, I'll try to be as careful as I can but at the same time I still want to perform :p

Better to miss improving on a PB than injuring yourself and losing weeks or months of training :) Having said that, I hope you are able to hit your goal.

Daante

Stockholm Marathon 2017 = 3:30, new pb with 5 mins.

My goal was Sub 3.15 which i failed big time with.

Lots of people seem to have gotten quite big time differences on this race, if you read on local Swedish forums. Like, my forerunner 235 showed 42,67 @ 3:29:47, crossing the finishing line. Official time stated 3:30:04.

I did not have a good race, where my stomach hurted the first 10km, and then felt "big" and sort of heavy during the rest of the race. Most likley due to intake of energy gels during the race.

Head and breathing was great during whole race, but stomach and that legs started to feel heavy around 33km mode it tough.

Its back to drawing board for me now.

June will be a recovery month running wise. Next planned race is a half Marathon in Sept. That track is absolutley NOT as fast as Berlin though.., which i did 1.32 i april this year.

Fisico

Better to miss improving on a PB than injuring yourself and losing weeks or months of training :) Having said that, I hope you are able to hit your goal.

Yeah I know but it's still hard :p
Just ran 10.5km today, it was raining some slopes and in the forest and I managed 45:30 without pushing too much so I guess I'm in a good shape.
Sub 40mn will be easy, but can I beat my PB that I don't know yet

Ran 10x400 yard repeats with my running club to kickoff summer training. It was 91F and a bitch to complete. But I am impressed after a 3-4 week layoff of sorts in volume (been bikin g more) I was managing 1'30"-1'32" minute intervals. Not where I want to be but not bad.

Happy National Running Day everyone. Your local running clubs are probably holding events today. My local group is and I am going to do a 3 mile fun run.

Gowans

Man I've been running every other day for the past few months, doing 2-5miles a session but I'm slow as shit.

How do I get my speed up, i'm tracking them on Strava but are there any good pacing apps?

Fistwell

Man I've been running every other day for the past few months, doing 2-5miles a session but I'm slow as shit.

How do I get my speed up, i'm tracking them on Strava but are there any good pacing apps?
You've been up and down a little bit on weekly mileage. Trying to stabilize at 15-20Km/week over maybe like 3 outings/week, after a month you should see the needle starting to move. If that doesn't help (which I think it would but we're all different), I'd try varying things a bit. Have your regular runs, then have fun run-games of fun. Jog a bit, sprint a bit, jog, run, shake it up. In a word, fartlek. Progressively upping mileage beyond 20K would also help, but I wouldn't worry about that yet. Already a consistent 15-20K/week should help. Takes time for your body to adapt, but consistency should (will?) be rewarded with results.

Best of luck!

Laekon

Seeing this thread after thinking about running while on a hike today made me want to throw this question out there. Is there anything you can do about shitty knees and running? My knee issue is grinding and swelling. My knee movement is rough and you can feel and sometimes hear the grinding. There is no pain normally. The few times I tried to get into running I would get pain after a run and a good amount of swelling. I did a half marathon once and my knees were swollen/inflamed for weeks. I went to an ortho surgeon and PT but didn't get real answers.

The Maudie's Margarita 5K was tonight. After almost getting sick halfway through it last year, there's no way I was gonna do it again this year.

I mean to be fair it was cooler today than yesterday's "National Running Day" run we did (5 miles) but not by much. Not looking forward to summer running this year.

Haven't run in over a week (or really done anything), so two five minute periods in 30 minutes walking. 10/30. That ratio is a NPB, I'll start attempting to get to 10 minutes at once, hopefully by the end of this month.

Pedrito

For those who have a watch with an HR monitor (especially a Garmin), what's your average resting HR? Some people freaked me out a little bit today by telling me that my average of 43 over the last week was abnormally low. I only run as a hobby and have a few extra kilograms so I doubt I have the heart of an athlete. Maybe the watch is little bit off.

Fistwell

For those who have a watch with an HR monitor (especially a Garmin), what's your average resting HR? Some people freaked me out a little bit today by telling me that my average of 43 over the last week was abnormally low. I only run as a hobby and have a few extra kilograms so I doubt I have the heart of an athlete. Maybe the watch is little bit off.
Depending on level of fatigue and so on, I fluctuate between mid-40s to mid 50s for weekly average. I'm at 54 over the last week, on the heel of a stressful trip to France (following another in Singapore a week ago). 43 average sounds kind of low. How high do you get under stress/effort? I've been told consulting a cardiologist every now and then (every cple of years) is a good idea for runners. Maybe you could schedule a visit and see what's up. But hey, you're probably* fine!

*not a medical doctor!

I'm 48 right now, 43 happens some weeks and I feel absolutely great. As long as there is no lightheadedness, listlessness, dizziness or problems with cognition I wouldn't worry about it; the medical averages don't really apply to fit endurance athletes with highly developed heart muscle. EDIT: missed the hobbyist part - maybe consult with a physician, you'll likely go through a similar checklist of symptoms.

Pedrito

Depending on level of fatigue and so on, I fluctuate between mid-40s to mid 50s for weekly average. I'm at 54 over the last week, on the heel of a stressful trip to France (following another in Singapore a week ago). 43 average sounds kind of low. How high do you get under stress/effort? I've been told consulting a cardiologist every now and then (every cple of years) is a good idea for runners. Maybe you could schedule a visit and see what's up. But hey, you're probably* fine!

*not a medical doctor!

I'm 48 right now, 43 happens some weeks and I feel absolutely great. As long as there is no lightheadedness, listlessness, dizziness or problems with cognition I wouldn't worry about it; the medical averages don't really apply to fit endurance athletes with highly developed heart muscle. EDIT: missed the hobbyist part - maybe consult with a physician, you'll likely go through a similar checklist of symptoms.

Thanks. It gets to an average of 154 when I run, with a maximum in the 170s.

I haven't seen a doctor in a quite a while so I might make an appointment in the coming months. I'm pretty sure that without other symptoms, my family doctor would just laugh at me and tell me to be happy that it's low instead of high.

There's also the possibility that wrist based heart rate monitors are just not that precise, especially for resting heart rate.

Well, I did it! Today was my last day on vacation in Paris, and although I'm only at the week 7 mark in my couch to 10K program, I couldn't resist running a 5k along the banks of the Seine and through the Tuileries gardens. What absolutely stunning scenery.

For my first 5k in almost 5 years, my average pace was 11:34 which I'm pretty pleased about considering I stopped to take a few photos along the way. Felt really good during/after, too.

Considering I couldn't even run for more than 15 minutes at a time three weeks ago, I'm really happy. Persistence pays off!

panda-zebra

Fuck being ill. Missed marathon today, couldn't walk 2.6 miles never mind run 26.2. Worst thing is not run properly now in a good few weeks, going to be starting all over again, again... yay :/

Asgaro

My average is 52. :)
Background: have been running frequently (3-4 times a week) since October last year (So I also endured winter!).

I've had 43 as resting heart rate in the past but never more than a day or two, if I remember correct.

cbf123

Neo Member
Huh, I didn't know there was a RunningGAF. Had a quick look over the last few pages, keep it up anyone who's just getting started!

About a year ago I took up running and I've just completed my first marathon (Rock n Roll Liverpool) in a 3:06:48. My half marathon time back in March was 1:27:08, so I was pretty pleased not to fall too far away after doubling the distance.

Persevere and you can get past the aches and pains to run and feel comforable (almost!) all the time.

panda-zebra

Huh, I didn't know there was a RunningGAF. Had a quick look over the last few pages, keep it up anyone who's just getting started!

About a year ago I took up running and I've just completed my first marathon (Rock n Roll Liverpool) in a 3:06:48. My half marathon time back in March was 1:27:08, so I was pretty pleased not to fall too far away after doubling the distance.

Persevere and you can get past the aches and pains to run and feel comforable (almost!) all the time.

Welcome & great times! Liverpool isn't the flattest, so that's a proper time for a first marathon, especially a year in, nice. Which half did you do in March, Wilmslow?

cbf123

Neo Member
Cheers, yeah it was hilly going! I did Wrexham for the half, which also wasn't very flat! I think I'm going to do the Chester full and then I'm doing the Whistlestop tour this year, too.

All leading up to doing a 50-miler next year if all goes to plan. Unless I regain my sanity in the meantime!

panda-zebra

Cheers, yeah it was hilly going! I did Wrexham for the half, which also wasn't very flat! I think I'm going to do the Chester full and then I'm doing the Whistlestop tour this year, too.

All leading up to doing a 50-miler next year if all goes to plan. Unless I regain my sanity in the meantime!

I ran a bit of the L2M with my brother, I'm personally leaving anything over 26.2 to him and the likes of yourself, and forget the one the other week where they turned around and ran back, hah!

cbf123

Neo Member
I ran a bit of the L2M with my brother, I'm personally leaving anything over 26.2 to him and the likes of yourself, and forget the one the other week where they turned around and ran back, hah!

Very wise! That's the one I'm looking at, purely because it's so close to home. The return leg one seems an absolutely crazy thing to do O_O. Having said that, anything above a half is pretty daft really, isn't it! Definitely an odd bunch us lot.

Pedrito

I did some research on the Internet about low resting HR
it told me I got cancer

If I don't have a fatal congenital heart defect, it might actually greatly reduce my chances of an early death.
I'm also at significantly greater risk of engaging in stalking behavior.
Lastly, if I were hospitalized, I would annoy the nurses as the machine would constantly beep.

Overall, it's a mixed bad.

Oppo

well I bit the bullet and decided to upgrade from a fitbit blaze to a garmin fenix 5.

anyone have any experience with their new import utility? or general fenix 5 tips?

Fisico

Yeah I know but it's still hard :p
Just ran 10.5km today, it was raining some slopes and in the forest and I managed 45:30 without pushing too much so I guess I'm in a good shape.
Sub 40mn will be easy, but can I beat my PB that I don't know yet

So I had my race this morning

- It was mother god damn freaking hot
- The first few km my body felt like it didn't wake up properly (probably didn't do enough warmup)

Didn't have any problem on my left leg and elbow (which healed pretty nicely), neither did my right knee bothered during the race, I did feel it a bit afterwards but for a 10k that was an ok risk to take, clearly wouldn't have done the same thing it it was a marathon.

Regardless I still beat my PB with 38:20, that's not as good as I wanted but considering the weather and how I felt I clearly had room to do sub 38, but after lacking in training for the past two months and with these conditions that is still a very good result.

resultats-censncjh2.png

That was my last race in my home country until next summer, I will live in Japan for the next twelve months and I hope I will find some 10k by the end of the year, I already registered for the Yokohama Marathon in late October.

Good luck everyone for your coming races/training :)

Top Bottom