• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Running Club |OT| - Couch to Marathons, All abilities

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
Well depends of how fast you'll progress.

You're very much at the starting line for now and it's clearly too early for you to run a marathon in December in a proper way.
But as a challenge/to finish it can be done (expect to walk and/or take a very long time and/or suffer though) two run a week and good walking the off day are a good thing, make sure to don't overexert yourself which is pretty common when you want to progress faster than your body is able to handle.
It's fine to trim the fat also but be sure to eat enough, if you weren't running/walking that much before then your body will need calories now more than before, by running you will lose fat anyway.

Continue at that pace, gradually increase the distance/time of your two weekly run (like adding 0.5km every week) and always listen to your body, if something begins to hurt it can only gets worse later on so don't do that "Oh well it's not too bad" thing than many does when they start.

If somehow running becomes too boring you can also practice some road bike, it makes for a nice change and is as good as running when training, only downside is that you need around twice the time for the same benefit (but this is much easier than running).

Thanks for the advice. Yeah, I'm keeping my expectations low. Goal is just to finish the marathon. (high goal is to run the entire way). On my longer runs when I start to get sore in the knees I walk. Don't want to damage the knees. I need to figure out my running wardrobe. Also tried using my smartwatch's heartrate monitor in order to stay in my aerobic zone but it hasn't been able to get a good reading while I run...

Gun is official results. Chip is for your own use, so you know how long it actually took to complete and how you fared over the distance vs the others and not how much extra time it too everyone to shuffle over the start line

When you say started running last week, you mean went back to it? You have a history of running?

Marathon is not a distance to take lightly, but it depends how you go about it and what you want from it. Anyone who can run 8 or 10 miles could complete a marathon, but it might not be be pretty at times and maybe more of an ultra runner's mentality would be required for some as a mission to get over the line rather than to achieve a certain time.

4 months out might seem like a long time but it really isn't, 16 weeks is a good amount of time to ease into marathon training mode from doing your normal weekly routine.

I'm no expert (far from it, I've only raced 2 and 1st one injured) but what I like in what you're currently doing is the walking - when I trained for my last marathon (first proper go at one) I did as much walking in terms on hours on feet as long slow running, or tried to at least, and sometimes tried to chain them together to have a good 5 hours out and about. I think it helps loads, just not everybody can find the time to run and walk 6-10 hours a week.

So you've got those 2 weekly 5ks, personally I'd leave one of those as is, run it at a comfortable but useful pace, and the other I'd run very slow and steady and up the kms by 1 or 2 each week, and continue with the walks.

A lot of these training plans I see have people only run up to 18 or 20 miles max as their longest run then taper. I've seen some friends falter with that approach, doing the walk of shame for the last 5 or 6 miles. That must be horrible after weeks of training and thinking you were going in prepared. Personally I'd want to know I had the distance in the bag and be up to 25 miles at a very steady pace a month before, then I'd taper and feel that there were no unknowns.

IMO, you can only really figure out your fuelling and get a feel for that horrible 18-20 mile transition by being there and doing it, I wouldn't want the first time I'd experiences that to be race day, it could end badly. So maybe do something like that, see what gels or whatever work best for you and don't leave you with a dodgy stomach (SiS gels, medjool dates and salted pretzels for me) and just try to keep it comfortable and fun at a super steady pace on those long runs. If it's Summer where you are now, at least you have cooler weather to look forward to as your miles build up :)

Longest I've ever run in the past is 10 miles. I used to run regularly (2 miles daily or every other day) back in the military, but haven't done that in 3 years. My running has been non-existent since then. Because of my new job and it's higher responsibilities I am finally forced to face my procrastination and lack of organizational habits. For years I've been trying to get better at that with little success but now I've got a job where not doing so isn't an option. To fix my habits, I've always wanted the keystone habit of exercise. Past few months I've been trying to get into a running rhythm with no success. Then my old army buddy, at his wedding, suggested we do a marathon together, so I signed up. So far that commitment has been enough to get me out there daily.

At this point I do 6 miles daily. 2 of those days per week I run as much as I can of those 6 miles which has been a smidge over a 5k. I then walk the rest of the 6 miles (growing up a hiker I can walk forever without getting tired). I'm sore normally for 2 days after a run day so I walk these days. Another thing that's kept me running/walking daily is that at both the 3.3 mile mark and the 6 mile mark are supermarkets. So far each time I hit the 3.3 market I get a dark chocolate Hershey bar. 190 calories but now my mind actually looks forward to the daily trips.

I was going to try to up the distance on both run days, but I think I'll take your advice on keeping one of them a 5k. Maybe for that 5k I'll try pushing my anaerobic threshold to up my long distance pace. Though to do that efficiently I'll need to get a better heartrate monitor.

Gun is official results. Chip is for your own use, so you know how long it actually took to complete and how you fared over the distance vs the others and not how much extra time it took everyone to shuffle over the start line
But doesn't that mean those nearer on the starting line had an advantage? My chip time vs. gun time is a full two minutes.

That's why you line up by your expected pace.
I don't even know how to do that, and I'm not sure how I can gauge that by using other people whom I don't know.
It really only matters if you expect to place in your division.
Well I had to dodge a lot of people, ditches, puddles, random blocks, and other stuff at the beginning of the race. I felt like my energy was spent trying to maneuver around people. Also, I had to run at the sidewalk for a good portion of the race. But I guess all of this is part of the race.

Fisico

Well I had to dodge a lot of people, ditches, puddles, random blocks, and other stuff at the beginning of the race. I felt like my energy was spent trying to maneuver around people. Also, I had to run at the sidewalk for a good portion of the race. But I guess all of this is part of the race.

It means that you started too far in the order, happened to me a few times at the beginning, you indeed lose a bit of energy and time doing that.

panda-zebra

I had to dodge a lot of people, ditches, puddles, random blocks, and other stuff at the beginning of the race. I felt like my energy was spent trying to maneuver around people. Also, I had to run at the sidewalk for a good portion of the race. But I guess all of this is part of the race.

You started too far back, I did this on my first few races 'cause I really didn't want to get in anyone else's way and had a poor knowledge of the range of abilities, so ended up doing myself no favours.

Once you get an official time you usually get automatically placed in the starting area suited for your time range, so that you waste less energy at the start. At least that's how it works around here, I assume other countries will use equivalent systems.

mdsfx

It means that you started too far in the order, happened to me a few times at the beginning, you indeed lose a bit of energy and time doing that.
Yep. This had happened to me on multiple occasions. I now seed myself in a faster pace group. I would rather be the one getting passed occasionally then to have to 'gladiator' way through the crowd for the first mile.

Bread

Banned
Doubled my previous best (for the past decade...) and made it 2 miles without stopping yesterday :D

Those breathing tips helped a lot isaac!

mdsfx

I have so much trouble waking up in the morning. That's the lame excuse.
What helped me get started with morning workouts was having everything ready the night before. I literally wake up, grab my stuff, and go. It's all waiting for me at the door. If I have to get things ready in the morning I'll just stay in bed out of laziness.

What helped me get started with morning workouts was having everything ready the night before. I literally wake up, grab my stuff, and go. It's all waiting for me at the door. If I have to get things ready in the morning I'll just stay in bed out of laziness.

I don't even have that excuse. I come back home to shower and work, it's just that it's a 20-30 minute drive there and back, and if I don't start out by 7 then I'm late starting work. I need to do better.

Doubled my previous best (for the past decade...) and made it 2 miles without stopping yesterday :D

Those breathing tips helped a lot isaac!
Great job, your post made my day, glad to be of help :)

You can only get better from there. Just remember to take it slowly but surely, and try to always keep up that breathing rhythm. If you're running and you go out of the rhythm, get back on it. Soon, it'll be second nature, even with music on.

I guess if I run again I've learned my lesson. I didn't know this was a thing, we were at the back because we barely made it to the gun start, heh.

You started too far back, I did this on my first few races 'cause I really didn't want to get in anyone else's way and had a poor knowledge of the range of abilities, so ended up doing myself no favours.
I think it's hard to place yourself unless you know the people you're running with, especially if like on my race you're running with thousands of people.

Once you get an official time you usually get automatically placed in the starting area suited for your time range, so that you waste less energy at the start. At least that's how it works around here, I assume other countries will use equivalent systems.
I think the race I ran on is the most popular in my country so they don't bother with that because a lot if new people run all the time. They did say that elite runners(their words) should try to start in front.

Yep. This had happened to me on multiple occasions. I now seed myself in a faster pace group. I would rather be the one getting passed occasionally then to have to 'gladiator' way through the crowd for the first mile.
I thought that maneuvering around people was fun. Couple that with a great soundtrack and it was quite an experience. I should be careful though lest I trip folks and myself.

I don't even have that excuse. I come back home to shower and work, it's just that it's a 20-30 minute drive there and back, and if I don't start out by 7 then I'm late starting work. I need to do better.
Is it not possible to do at night? All my runs are at night.

hellfire

i gotta say though - for my first marathon it was super motivating to start in a slower corral, not too far back, and just keep passing everyone even at the finish line.

FooTemps

For all those RunningGAF who are also SeattleGAF:

Be safe out there, the smoke is killer. Ran 4.4mi and it felt like I was running after smoking half a pack. If you can afford to skip this week or run indoors, please do it.

Fisico

Well in France unless your time is a (very) good one, like <45mn for 10k, <1h35 for half and <3h15 for marathon there are no checking for which group you want to join.

So for my first few races I was with a bunch of people who were running erm... not very properly to say the least.

There are also big races where they just don't bother, first come at the starting line, first to start, so if you really want to be in front you have to be there super early (like 1h before the real start...), and lots of small races (<1k runners) where it's simply not worth it.

Only the "big" races where the cost of entry is super expensive, because their purpose is to make money (like ASO organized races), are the ones where you will start with people whose pace are similar to yours, these are the more mediatic ones though so if you're not actively looking for races that's usually the only ones you know (because they're doing a lot of advertising)

The best thing IMO is to stay on small races, less people, much cheaper but it's more "peaceful" and you're here to run so whether there are 1k or 30k other runners shouldn't matter anyway.

On an unrelated note I've been doing two running session/week for the past month, with a bit a bike on top of that, trying to do that 80/20 program. (usually 50mn 10k, 1h 12k and 10-15k bike)

I've yet to see how efficient it is for race pace, but according to my fitbit my resting heart rate is the lowest it's ever been and is on track to go even lower apparently (46ppm)
Now I know it's not necessary accurate data, but fact is it's providing with lower data than ever so... good I guess?

rythme-cardiaquereposacsd0.png

dralla

I just picked up my first pair of Mizuno's after hearing great things. I went with the Wave Rider 19, they only cost me $56 which (I think) is a damn good deal. I've been running in New Balance Vazee Rush for the past year or so. I can already feel a huge difference just wearing them around my apartment. There's so much less pressure on my heel, it almost feels like my heel isn't even touching the ground. I'm assuming this is because of the plating in the bottom. The bottom definitely feels very firm, which I've heard is typical for the brand, but it's very comfortable so far. Obviously this doesn't mean much since I haven't run in them yet (which I'll do later today) but early impressions are great. Hope they hold up during my run.

Hey Run GAF. Sorry I have been absent recently. Was on vacation for 3 weeks and its been busy at work. Ran a 3x2mile relay with my club this morning. Was muggy and off road! I was hope to run my 2 miles in 14 minutes but we had one hell of a hill right after mile one and I lost a lot of energy (I didn't get as much running in on vacation as I would have liked due to me getting sick). Here's a photo of my team and me (i am on the right, not very attractive but ah well).

littledipster

Neo Member
Hey Run GAF. Sorry I have been absent recently. Was on vacation for 3 weeks and its been busy at work. Ran a 3x2mile relay with my club this morning. Was muggy and off road! I was hope to run my 2 miles in 14 minutes but we had one hell of a hill right after mile one and I lost a lot of energy (I didn't get as much running in on vacation as I would have liked due to me getting sick). Here's a photo of my team and me (i am on the right, not very attractive but ah well).

Nice pic and good effort on the run! The hills really can take a lot out of you. A 3x2 relay actually sounds pretty fun, was it a race?

Nice pic and good effort on the run! The hills really can take a lot out of you. A 3x2 relay actually sounds pretty fun, was it a race?

Yes it was our monthly club race. This is the only relay/team event we have each year and I had neglected to do it (also only off-road race we do). Hadn't pushed this hard in a while so it felt good. I have about another week of pre-work to put in then in two weeks we formally start fall half marathon training.

That 20 minute drive turns into about 70, so no.
Ah, understandable. No good place to run near your home?

Well in France unless your time is a (very) good one, like <45mn for 10k, <1h35 for half and <3h15 for marathon there are no checking for which group you want to join.

So for my first few races I was with a bunch of people who were running erm... not very properly to say the least.

There are also big races where they just don't bother, first come at the starting line, first to start, so if you really want to be in front you have to be there super early (like 1h before the real start...), and lots of small races (<1k runners) where it's simply not worth it.

Only the "big" races where the cost of entry is super expensive, because their purpose is to make money (like ASO organized races), are the ones where you will start with people whose pace are similar to yours, these are the more mediatic ones though so if you're not actively looking for races that's usually the only ones you know (because they're doing a lot of advertising)

The best thing IMO is to stay on small races, less people, much cheaper but it's more "peaceful" and you're here to run so whether there are 1k or 30k other runners shouldn't matter anyway.
Races are just a great way for folks to make a ton of money for a little capital. I prefer not participating in these at all, especially the ones claiming to support the environment then at the race proper the roads are full of empty bottles.

White shirt?
I just picked up my first pair of Mizuno's after hearing great things. I went with the Wave Rider 19, they only cost me $56 which (I think) is a damn good deal. I've been running in New Balance Vazee Rush for the past year or so. I can already feel a huge difference just wearing them around my apartment. There's so much less pressure on my heel, it almost feels like my heel isn't even touching the ground. I'm assuming this is because of the plating in the bottom. The bottom definitely feels very firm, which I've heard is typical for the brand, but it's very comfortable so far. Obviously this doesn't mean much since I haven't run in them yet (which I'll do later today) but early impressions are great. Hope they hold up during my run.
Good luck! I thought my Ghost 9's were nice too until I realized they're almost touching my toes.

dralla

Good luck! I thought my Ghost 9's were nice too until I realized they're almost touching my toes.
I almost went with Ghost 9's a actually, it was a toss up between them and the Wave Rider 19's. I just happened to find a great deal on the WR19 so it made my choice easier. After my run I can say they feel great. Nice improvement over my New Balance. The only problem was that they get warm, not quite as breathable as my New Balance. Granted, it was pretty hot and humid out today, but it was getting toasty in there. It could be my socks as well. I should invest in some breathable socks. Are these Saucony socks alright? - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JM8MWTI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

mdsfx

I cannot freakin wait. This is the Triathlon I saw in person 2 years ago and thought "this looks so awesome, but I could never do this."

I am so ready.

Water temp is like 79, so no wetsuit this time. Rain likely during the bike and run. Should be a fun time. Bring it on ;)

Ah, understandable. No good place to run near your home?

Races are just a great way for folks to make a ton of money for a little capital. I prefer not participating in these at all, especially the ones claiming to support the environment then at the race proper the roads are full of empty bottles.

White shirt?

Yep I am in white shirt.

I cannot freakin wait. This is the Triathlon I saw in person 2 years ago and thought "this looks so awesome, but I could never do this."

I am so ready.

Water temp is like 79, so no wetsuit this time. Rain likely during the bike and run. Should be a fun time. Bring it on ;)

So jealous. I am strongly contemplating doing my first sprint triathlon in 5 years this fall.

mdsfx

So jealous. I am strongly contemplating doing my first sprint triathlon in 5 years this fall.

Well if you can swim and have a bike, what's stopping you? Do it!

I'm running sockless tomorrow. Never done that before, but socks in transition are a pain. I'll expect some blisters, but we'll see. Maybe I'll hit the feet with some body glide just in case.

Was so frustrated with not hitting my time in the race today I went out and ran another 5.4 miles. I feel so behind going into fall training right now.

Hills can throw wrenches into the wheels of the best laid plans. Still, good effort though.

Getting the shoes that fit just right is one of life's little pleasures. Keep us posted on how they work for you!

Well if you can swim and have a bike, what's stopping you? Do it!

I'm running sockless tomorrow. Never done that before, but socks in transition are a pain. I'll expect some blisters, but we'll see. Maybe I'll hit the feet with some body glide just in case.

How did you get into triathlons if you don't mind me asking? Did you make sure you hit some performance minimum? How did your cardio training change (distribution-wise or type-wise)? (I'm a bit intrigued by triathlons if you can't tell :p)

mdsfx

How did you get into triathlons if you don't mind me asking? Did you make sure you hit some performance minimum? How did your cardio training change (distribution-wise or type-wise)? (I'm a bit intrigued by triathlons if you can't tell :p)

Full disclosure: I'm responding from a portapotty in transition :0

Most people can run and can ride a bike, but swimming is usually where people's weak point is, including me, so that's what I was focused on. I was already running, so one day it was simply a matter of picking up a bike and starting to swim. I took a few swim lessons/stroke analysis seasons and then it was just a matter of being comfortable in the water.

No one cares how fast you are so it doesn't matter what your skill level is at. Around 30% of all participants in most sprint triathlons are attempting their first race. They're is literally no pressure to perform at any level. A lot of people do it just to complete it, regardless of time. Many do it just for fun.

That's about it!

Fisico

I'm not the one who was asked the question but I'll reply anyway :p

In the first place I was looking for a challenge when running, once I ran my first marathon I felt like that was it, it was long enough and I didn't want to commit myself for longer races.

So from there I could go to trail or triathlon, I chose triathlon because I always felt like my knee were kind of my weakpoint and thus trail would be a bad choice while in triathlon I had swimming and bike as a way to to not stress them too much.

I was also doing 50-80km road bike "training" (I'm using quote, because I never consideed them as training but rather a way to bond with my father :p) three/four times a month, so that felt like a natural step forward.

At some point at my new job I was also looking for a club to join, running club happened to ignore me multiple times when I contacted them while the triathlon club litterally jumped on me and was very enthusiastic about me joining.

So I ended up registering for my first S triathlon, in Deauville 350m in the Manche/English Channel, 20km bike, 5km run.
I never trained in swimming and it was a huge pain (especially because it wasn't in a swimming pool), in the end I was amongst the last and spent all the bike/running part passing other contenders which was fun in itself.
It was an easy challenge completed in around ~1h30 and I liked it a lot, it's really fun to switch between three different sports in a single race!
I never trained for the transition before the race though and I can tell you that the most painful one is going from bike to running, my legs were just nowhere at first and it was kinda odd to go for "God I feel like shit" to "Wow I feel so good" near the end (which is the opposite of what you could expect)

Run a second one a few months later, 500m swimming, 20km bike, 5km run, still easy much easier and still a lot of fun.

I was supposed to go for a M triathlon (1.5km swimming, 40km bike, 10km run), really looked forward to it but I had to cancel due to an injury :(

On the training front I'd say that you have to, obviously, cram the three different sports into your program, swimming especially to get the skill (that I don't, but I still managed to go from a very slow 1.8km/h on average to a slow 2.4km/h), and long biking (at least 2h, and better if you go to up to 3h)

Overall it depends on which distance you target, XS/S is a breeze, M shouldn't be too hard if you already ran half & marathon and L/Ironman is where you really to have to go to another lever of training if you want to complete the races in a decent enough shape.
Unlike running there are more costs involved with triathlon also, mostly on the bike end (especially if you want to get a decent road bike) but also on the neoprene suit for swimming.
I didn't get very technical in my answer so I hope it's still welcomed regardless!

Full disclosure: I'm responding from a portapotty in transition :0

:D

panda-zebra

Trail half yesterday. Not 100% fit yet but managed 13th out of just under 200, bit surprised, think I might have got near 3rd/4th if I was as fit as I was back in March/April before I got ill. Race had a difficulty of 4.4/6 on runbritain, didn't feel that tough tbh. Just happy to be getting fit for Stockport 10K in September, 150 clubmates attending that one will be a great day out. Week after 24 hour race, hoping to manage 75+ miles with plenty of power walking and very little actual running.

You are on fire lately!

Trail half yesterday. Not 100% fit yet but managed 13th out of just under 200, bit surprised, think I might have got near 3rd/4th if I was as fit as I was back in March/April before I got ill. Race had a difficulty of 4.4/6 on runbritain, didn't feel that tough tbh. Just happy to be getting fit for Stockport 10K in September, 150 clubmates attending that one will be a great day out. Week after 24 hour race, hoping to manage 75+ miles with plenty of power walking and very little actual running.

Looked at the Strava activity. You finished with a very good time, congratulations! Happy to read you are getting back into your previous level of fitness.

Fistwell

Nice work, 172 avge HBR, EFFORT!

You are on fire lately!
Trying to get comfy at 100/week. Been running mostly easy since that 10K a cple of weeks back.

mdsfx

Placed 156/1310 today which I'm happy with. Running pace was 7:10/mi which for me is a personal best during a tri. Very little sun and 65°F made it more comfortable.

panda-zebra

Entered a fun-looking race in November up in the moors around here. Starts off up in the outskirts of my town and ends maybe 15 miles away a town or 2 over in some woods. Runners make up their own route and are given a bonus for visiting a couple of old stone towers up on hills (kind of) along the way. 20 mins after the start, 6 chasing experienced fell runners take off and attempt to tag as many entrants as possible as they make their own way to the finish. For added fun, the 30 finishers with the lowest total elevation get the wooden-spoon. Always liked the look of their races as they're usually very challenging, hilly, boggy, long and interesting, this one just too tempting.

Looked at the Strava activity. You finished with a very good time, congratulations! Happy to read you are getting back into your previous level of fitness.

It was a similar pace to super-flat road marathon from April but on some lumpy and weaving trail, so yep it's slotting back together. Got a mile race and a 5k this week in the evenings, never done an evening race or a 1 miler, looking forward to both now and feeling like I can give them a decent go.

Nice work, 172 avge HBR, EFFORT!

It's not bad for me that, somewhere between plodding and real effort. 5k/10k hard usually high 180s/into 190s and halves and 20 miler pretty much bang on 180. Usually when I'm pushing my limit I breathe in twice with strides then out twice, but knew I didn't have the stamina to keep up a hard pace and was doing mostly 3s. Think I only started doing this weird breathing thing on LSRs with 4s to help keep me slow, I was struggling to keep it smoothly under 9:30/mile, but it carried over into everything and it (feels like at least) helps me manage my effort level. Maybe it just gives me something to concentrate on or zone out with to keep things steady/even, I dunno.

Big 10k tomorrow.

1 year since my first "race" and of course since its the same event I am very curious how Ill compare to my time last year.

I did 54:something last year and while I think getting under 50 would be rad I have struggled to get under 25 mins during my 5k runs recently so doing that x2 seems a real up hill target. Who know with a full time job has been harder then with a part time one?

Ill be happy if I can get under a minute or two from last year.

Also the cheap skates gave out the exact same ugly green tshirts as last year. Bad form! I at least hope the medal is a bit different.

Bang on 53.00. Cant complain. Managed 90 seconds faster then last year.

Not terribly faster but felt smarter and more efficient. No walk breaks, mostly steady pace last 2k where my fastest. Feel good afterwards and not a wreck last last year.

But I nearly got sick afterwards. I think I should have gotten up earlier for breakfast to let things settle more. Ill need to remember that because I have a few more lined up over the next 3months.

Also to settle my stomach I decided to take one of the free yogurts a sponsor where handing out. FYI if your job is ever handing out yogurt, DONT LEAVE YOGURT IN THE SUN!

Fistwell

Nice work. Sometimes, and as you point out yourself, the improvement is not just the time but how comfortable/fun the race is. And, yeah, figuring out nutrition is an important aspect! :)

(still myself trying to get my stomach to hold anything down during an actual race)

Top Bottom