• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Secret Santa 2007 - Virtual Console Edition

sk3tch

JodyAnthony said:
oh and for the record, all someone has to do once they get their secret santa friend code is search the thread to see who their secret santa is. but still, i'm in.

That's it! Christmas is canceled! Everything is ruined now. *sob*

:)

I'm more in it for the surprise. I guess I don't really care who gives it to me. I don't really know anyone here, anyway.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I'm in, although you'll have to wait until I get home after work to add my info to the thread.

One thing bothers me, though... breaking up the points into so many brackets limits the circle of GAFfers we can trade with, and it takes a bit of the mystery away (given the limited number of items you could receive in your point bracket).

I propose that we simply make the gift value be between 800 and 1100 points. This allows us to give ANYTHING to anyone else, and means that the maximum "disparity" in price is a mere $3.

For 800-1100, you could get anyone:

a) 2 NES Games
b) 1 NES and 1 TG16 game
c) 1 SNES/Genesis/N64/Neo Geo/TGCD game

What do you guys think? If no one minds a possible $3 difference, this would give us the freedom to choose -anything- for our "buddy".

Also, perhaps we could list our favorite genres, just to give folks an idea of our tastes, if they don't know us.

Capndrake

Friend Code: 2416-7198-9414-7018
Region: EU - The Netherlands
Max points: 800, or if David Dayton's idea goes through, 800-1100.

I've got quite a lot so you might have to try multiple times to find something I don't have (Seeing as you won't know it's me and all).

Is it ok to reject games and get another, by the way? I don't want anything I already own the original cartridge of, which is pretty much every major Nintendo game on VC.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
5361-1284-1560-4672
North America (Canada, not opposed to region-switching to US if necessary)
Willing to spend 1000 points.

To save my Secret Santa the time, I've got; Mario, Mario 2, Mario 3, Mario World, Mario 64, Actraiser, Gunstar Heroes, Super Star Soldier, Paper Mario, Pokemon Snap, Sin and Punishment, Donkey Kong Country 2, Star Fox 64, Super Castlevania IV.

Interested in pretty much any SEGA title, or any of the TG-16 Gems I've missed out on. Not at all interested in any other N64 titles or any Zelda titles (already have them all in other mediums)

DDayton

DavidDayton said:
I propose that we simply make the gift value be between 800 and 1100 points. This allows us to give ANYTHING to anyone else, and means that the maximum "disparity" in price is a mere $3.

Just a note... so far everyone in the thread has either pledged to spend at least 800 points OR has offered to jump to 800 if there weren't enough people in the 500 bracket. This means that everyone so far is comfortable with 800 points, which means that the 800-1100 scheme I suggested is presumably "ok" with everyone here. I do think it's the simplest solution to the point variance.

Edit: Cheesemeister, I had another idea that might help, but I'll PM you later tonight about it.

eznark

Banned
DavidDayton said:
I'm in, although you'll have to wait until I get home after work to add my info to the thread.

One thing bothers me, though... breaking up the points into so many brackets limits the circle of GAFfers we can trade with, and it takes a bit of the mystery away (given the limited number of items you could receive in your point bracket).

For 800-1100, you could get anyone:

a) 2 NES Games
b) 1 NES and 1 TG16 game
c) 1 SNES/Genesis/N64/Neo Geo/TGCD game

What do you guys think? If no one minds a possible $3 difference, this would give us the freedom to choose -anything- for our "buddy".

Also, perhaps we could list our favorite genres, just to give folks an idea of our tastes, if they don't know us.

This thread is a great idea, and this refinement of that idea is damn good as well.

Count me in.

Wii Friend Code: 4150 1554 0720 1423
800-1100 points sounds right.

EDIT: Region - USA

ThomPayne

I'd love to get in on these festivities.

Code: 7388 6428 8960 9212
Region: NA

Just pleeease don't get me anything shitty...I know I'm not going to do that.

Wow, I swear I had this same idea and was coming to make a topic about it. Guess I was beaten to the punch! I'll post my info when I check my Wii friend code.

DDayton

The funny thing is that, in theory, you should be able to "gift" the Opera Web Browser to folks as well. New Wii owners don't necessarily have that, you know.

(Whether they want it or not is a different story, of course.)

Firestorm

3797 6389 8705 9077
Region: North America - Canada

This is going to be GAF telling others to play their favourite games :lol

Amir0x

Banned
Oh it's up is it.

I'll be randomly gifting people on my list games from time to time, so if you're already on my list you may expect a game or two every so often. So I won't commit to this, BUT:

Remember, as soon as Earthbound comes out on VC the first four who ask get it :D

Sylar

Banned
Amir0x said:
Oh it's up is it.

I'll be randomly gifting people on my list games from time to time, so if you're already on my list you may expect a game or two every so often. So I won't commit to this, BUT:

Remember, as soon as Earthbound comes out on VC the first four who ask get it :D

So you're like the Santa Clause of the VC?! :O

M3wThr33

Banned
DavidDayton said:
I'm trying to figure out how you got "anarchy" out of this. You -are- joining the gift exchange, aren't you?
I just finished writing addresses on 3 boxes for 3 seperate Secret Santas.

What you're telling me I should sign up for a 4th?

0112-0773-1939-3108
AMERIKKKA
800-1100.

I own 0 VC games, mainly because I have most of the ones I want. The closest I came was buying Bomberman. My brother has that one. Or maybe Streets of Rage, Comix Zone, Rister or some other Genesis platformer that isn't Sonic.

Amir0x

Banned
Sylar said:
So you're like the Santa Clause of the VC?! :O

My plan was to use 2000 points every two weeks to gift random people on my list, because I'm pimping like that. I have like 100 people on my list though, so obviously not everyone will be getting something immediately.

M3wThr33

Banned
Amir0x said:
My plan was to use 2000 points every two weeks to gift random people on my list, because I'm pimping like that. I have like 100 people on my list though, so obviously not everyone will be getting something immediately.
Am I on your list?

Thanks to the mod who increased my PM storage. I can now accept PMs with the required info so you can remain anonymous to your Secret Santa and/or recipient if you'd like.

M3wThr33

Banned
Amir0x said:
Gimme your code again so I can re-add in case it isn't working or something
0112-0773-1939-3108

Xmas is going to be fun this year, getting gifts from more than just family and neighbors. I love surprises. (Makes me look like I have a social life)

kswiston

I'm interested in this. I also support the 800-1100 point idea.

friend code: 4729 6093 0929 8446
Region: North America (Canada)

EktorPR

Yay!! I want in!

- Wii FC: 2959 4645 4293 4147
- Region: North America
- Between 800-1100 points

Games I already have:

-Super Mario Bros.
-Super Mario Bros. 3
-Super Mario World
-Super Metroid
-The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
-Donkey Kong Country 2
-Paper Mario
-Sin and Punishment
-Kirby's Adventure
-Star Fox 64
-Gunstar Heroes

...and I think that's it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Can we propose what game we'd like to receive, or is it the choice of the one buying it to you?

DDayton

M3wThr33 said:
I just finished writing addresses on 3 boxes for 3 seperate Secret Santas.

What you're telling me I should sign up for a 4th?

Yep.

Hey, Amirox -- I don't have you on my NEW Wii system -- you were on my old one before it kicked the bitbucket. I'll bug you with my new code when I get home... and I need to bug a few other GAFfers with it, too.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
EktorPR said:
Can we propose what game we'd like to receive, or is it the choice of the one buying it to you?

If it wasn't, you could just buy it yourself. If two people tell each other what games they want and then they buy them, it would be pretty pointless.

Amir0x

Banned
DavidDayton said:
Yep.

Hey, Amirox -- I don't have you on my NEW Wii system -- you were on my old one before it kicked the bitbucket. I'll bug you with my new code when I get home... and I need to bug a few other GAFfers with it, too.

didn't you PM me with it before? If not, send it my way again... probably buried under fifty pages.

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
It's a secret to everyone.

The points range should be 800-1200 to include Sin & Punishment.

DDayton

David Dayton
North America / USA
6533 9124 2037 5193

800-1100 points

Amir0x said:
didn't you PM me with it before? If not, send it my way again... probably buried under fifty pages.
I don't know anymore -- I tend to get lost these days. PM me your code again...

ThomPayne

Amir0x said:
How does one get on this list?

M3wThr33

Banned
DavidDayton said:
David Dayton
North America
6533 9124 2037 5193

800-1100 points

I don't know anymore -- I tend to get lost these days. PM me your code again...

This is the one I added, right?

Code: 1796 5804 3784 3595
Region: NA - USA
Point Value: 800, or the 800-1100 thingamabob

Already own: Super Mario Bros. 3, Punch-Out!!, Tecmo Bowl, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Gunstar Heroes, Link to the Past, and Star Fox 64

Sylar

Banned
I don't have any
Wii
friends :(. I feel weird adding people to my Wii and DS friends list for some reason....I don't know why though o_O.

Friend Code: 5433 7146 7155 8601
Region: US
Looking to spend: 800ish

And this thread gets the:
cheese-seal.jpg

CTLance

Wii code: LOOK, AN EAGLE!
Region: EU
Value: 1000

I can spend more if needed.

Awesome idea. (and perfect execution by Cheesemeister. Thanks for doing this!)

colinp

Banned
Cheers to whoever came up with this idea, and to Cheesemeister for going through all the trouble! I absolutely love it!

Wii: 2306 7744 6908 7228
Region: USA

VC games I own:
Zelda, Zelda: LttP, Super Mario Bros, Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World, Super Mario 64, Sin & Punishment, Ristar, Bomberman '93, Wonder Boy in MW, Ninja Spirit, Gunstar Heroes, Blazing Lazers, Super Star Solider, Soldier Blade

sullyj

Sounds like a great idea to me.

Code:
Region: USA
Point Value: 1200

Already own: Super Mario Bros. 3, SMB, Paper Mario, Punch-Out!!, Mario Cart 64, StarFox 64

Top Bottom