• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Secret Santa 2007 - Virtual Console Edition

alisdair

Amazing idea. Cheesemeister for president!

Code: 2051 6802 5525 8528
Region: NA
Point value: 800-1100

Edit: I'm pretty sure my country is set to USA, but I live in the UK.

4227 1114 2322 9561
Region: Australia (looks like I'm the only one... oh well)
Point Value: 800

NB: Please don't send me a SNES game because I have heaps of original cartridges. There a couple of SNES titles that I'd like to get on the VC but if I told you what they were it would ruin the surprise. To be safe please stick to Megadrive or TG16 -- thanks!

M3wThr33

Banned
It's looking like the person needs to be on your address book to get the gift from.
So maybe you'll need to add a batch of people to still keep it a surprise?

pulga

Banned
Nice, should put to good use the new feature for atleast once :D

Wii Friend Code: 7474 4565 7114 1873
Region: NA
Amount of Wii Points you pledge to spend on your gift recipient: 800 points

colinp

Banned
M3wThr33 said:
It's looking like the person needs to be on your address book to get the gift from.
So maybe you'll need to add a batch of people to still keep it a surprise?

I didn't quite follow the idea at first either, but re-read the first post a bit more closely at it will all become clear.

Tenbatsu

I like to ask something, if you give someone a game that you dont own, and after sending it to a friend, will you own the game? Or its just a gift which you cant keep?

Tenbatsu said:
I like to ask something, if you give someone a game that you dont own, and after sending it to a friend, will you own the game? Or its just a gift which you cant keep?

We're almost absolutely certain you don't get to keep a copy.

sphinx

the piano man
great idea.

One question though: How is the person giving the gift a "secret santa" if you have to add that guy's friendcode to receive the game? wouldn't it give away who is giving me a gift??

Cyan said:
Where does one actually find one's friend code?

Check the cover of your address book when sending a message.

sphinx said:
One question though: How is the person giving the gift a "secret santa" if you have to add that guy's friendcode to receive the game? wouldn't it give away who is giving me a gift??

I'll be providing Friend Codes, not names. You can enter the person's alias as "Secret Santa" if you'd like.

sphinx

the piano man
Cheesemeister said:
I'll be providing Friend Codes, not names. You can enter the person's alias as "Secret Santa" if you'd like.

ooooohhhhh :D :D :D nice. But I could come and check right in this thread whose friendcode you gave me, right?...

mmh I guess we will have to be honest and not cheat by watch the posts of others, is it so?

sphinx said:
mmh I guess we will have to be honest and not cheat by watch the posts of others, is it so?

Don't peek if you don't want to know. Or, people can PM me with their info instead of posting here.

Firestorm said:
You will be revealing who got who at the end though right?

If people want.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Cheesemeister said:

Cheesemeister Meister-Cheeser, what do you think of just doing it 800-1100 across the board and putting us all in one big pool?

I really don't mind the trouble. People can sign up for that pool if they'd like. Moreover, I can't force people who only wanted to do 500 points to up their commitments.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Cheesemeister said:
I really don't mind the trouble. People can sign up for that pool if they'd like. Moreover, I can't force people who only wanted to do 500 points to up their commitments.

True -- I just noticed that so far only two had voted for 500, and both were open to upping it. Put me in the 800-1100 pool.

You know, depending upon how many of us sign up for this, it might work to give each person 4 Wii friend codes... 1 sender, 1 receiver, and 2 red herring senders. This might help when it comes to the fact that some of us already have each other on our friend lists.

I sent you a PM about my info, this is a fantastic idea. It's a nice way for a gamer to share an experience, and an absolutely fantastic Christmas surprise.

I'm excited.

Your 16-digit Wii Friend Code- 2799 2835 0282 9369
Region (NA/EU/AU/JP) - NA
What amount of Wii Points you pledge to spend on your gift recipient- - 800

Chris R

Um, been awhile since I did anything online with my Wii... how do I find out my code :lol I'd be down for an 800 point bracket gift

CoolS

Awesome idea - plus I'll get a game I woudl probably never buy.

Your 16-digit Wii Friend Code - too late
Region (NA/EU/AU/JP): EU
What amount of Wii Points you pledge to spend on your gift recipient: 800

Region: Germany

CoolS

Capndrake said:
Apparently it's actually even (ugh) COUNTRY-locked, so:

New Region: The Netherlands

Wait, what? That sucks. Maybe all people from europe will just set their region to one country so it works? We have to try that before though.

Capndrake

CoolS said:
Wait, what? That sucks. Maybe all people from europe will just set their region to one country so it works? We have to try that before though.
Changing country wipes all your remaining points, so unless you've got 0, switch, add more, buy, and switch back I don't recommend it.

CoolS

Capndrake said:
Changing country wipes all your remaining points, so unless you've got 0, switch, add more, buy, and switch back I don't recommend it.

:/
That sucks. I guess there won't be many german GAFers here then :(

Edit: but didn't some guys in the update thread change region settings from Canada to USA?

Tf53

I'm up for it, if the hardware restraints aren't too cumbersome. I have just about 9000 points atm (don't ask :D), so I ain't switching regions. I'd prefer a Neo-Geo game, but I can buy anything for my recipient.

FC: 4712 5049 7115 3294
Region: Finland / Europe

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Your 16-digit Wii Friend Code - 4358 4626 2965 4255
Region - NA - USA
What amount of Wii Points you pledge to spend on your gift recipient - 500 Points

btw are there any 600 point games because I have 600 points on my Wii. I would have offered to go higher but I can't do exact change so I don't want to spend 16 dollars.

Yazan

Just edited some of the info, I'll put it again so that you don't miss it.

nick: Yazan
qty: 800 - 1200 points
Region: US.
wii friend code: 5343 1330 3951 7460

CTLance

Updated my previous post with Country info, just in case gifting really ends up "country-locked". I'd like to say Nintendo wouldn't do it, but... well... it's Nintendo. :(

CoolS said:
That sucks. I guess there won't be many german GAFers here then :(
...oh, you'd be surprised, really. (Servus!) :D
Although we lost Haunted One a while ago Germans are astonishingly common on this board, considering our PC-centric gaming culture.

kiryogi

Banned
Your 16-digit Wii Friend Code- Complete!
Region (NA/EU/AU/JP) - NA/United States
What amount of Wii Points you pledge to spend on your gift recipient- - 1200

This will certainly be a nice little surprise for xmas :D Wonderful idea cheesemeister. I actually wanted to try out for the gaf secret santa but couldn't get around to it.

edit: country edit in.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Your 16-digit Wii Friend Code 4461 7690 7538 4244
Region (NA/EU/AU/JP) EU (United Kingdom)
What amount of Wii Points you pledge to spend on your gift recipient? Up to 1200 Points.

This should be fun, nice idea Mr. Cheeseybloke-ington Smythe.

Neo Child

Banned
I don't get this idea, basically someone buys a game for us and we buy a game for them? Same price and stuff..... why? Don't mean to sound rude.

Chris R

Neo Child said:
I don't get this idea, basically someone buys a game for us and we buy a game for them? Same price and stuff..... why? Don't mean to sound rude.
Its like a gift exchange at an office. Everyone gets paired with someone, but it is SECRET. You buy them something you hope they like, and then on the day of the office Christmas party give it to them and hope they do like it.

Wii Friend Code: TOP SEKRET
Region: NA Country: USA State: AK Zipcode: 99507 (hopefuly it isn't state/zipcode locked :lol )
Ammount - 800 points.

riker-stress.jpg

Well, crap on a stick. It looks like Nintendo royally screwed this one up.

For folks in the NA and EU regions, you must edit your post to include your country if you haven't already done so. I will PM folks who do not update.

Not including your country may exclude you from the Secret Santa.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Cheese; I'm in Canada but I'd be willing to switch my country code to US in order to receive the gift and then switch back to Canada. I just need to find out that this won't end up coming back to screw me in terms of making me lose points or lose access to a game or whatever.

Is there any way we could give a few days of breathing space until people figure out how this works? Because if we can just switch our country codes, it might just be a better idea to switch everyone in one region to the same country rather than trying to cobble together different inside-the-country exchange programs.

Stumpokapow said:
Cheese; I'm in Canada but I'd be willing to switch my country code to US in order to receive the gift and then switch back to Canada. I just need to find out that this won't end up coming back to screw me in terms of making me lose points or lose access to a game or whatever.

Is there any way we could give a few days of breathing space until people figure out how this works? Because if we can just switch our country codes, it might just be a better idea to switch everyone in one region to the same country rather than trying to cobble together different inside-the-country exchange programs.

I don't want to have people switching countries and getting screwed out of points.

CoolS

So IT IS confirmed switching countries makes you lose your points? Been trying to find that out the whole day.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Cheesemeister said:
I don't want to have people switching countries and getting screwed out of points.

So, let me get this straight, if I have 400 points, then I switch to the US, buy 1000 points, spend 1000 points on a game for myself or someone else, get a gift from the US, then switch back to Canada... The net result is that I lose the points I had in Canada, but I can play the game I got in the US, right?

Stumpokapow said:
So, let me get this straight, if I have 400 points, then I switch to the US, buy 1000 points, spend 1000 points on a game for myself or someone else, get a gift from the US, then switch back to Canada... The net result is that I lose the points I had in Canada, but I can play the game I got in the US, right?

That's probably the case, judging from the AU vs. UK deal. I wouldn't want to risk it for anyone.

CoolS

Cheesemeister said:
That's probably the case, judging from the AU vs. UK deal. I wouldn't want to risk it for anyone.

But someone in the Wii Firmware Update thread said, he changed his country so he could send his friend in canada a game.

Anyone with 100 wii points on his account willing to try this for us? So we know it for sure?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Cheesemeister said:

Understood. I'll mark myself down as Canada then... Firestorm and I can just exchange games :lol

Tf53

Forgive my crude logic, but since everyone is prolly buying a game that costs the same, can't you just pick a game your recipient can buy for themselves? :D

I've just edited my post to say United Kingdom / England.

I think people in the UK should put N. Ireland, England, Scotland or Wales down in their edited posts as well. Just in case.

Cheesemeister, are you going to try and match up people from same regions now? That might be the way to go, making exceptions where there are too few people from certain regions perhaps.

radioheadrule83 said:
I've just edited my post to say United Kingdom / England.

I think people in the UK should put N. Ireland, England, Scotland or Wales down in their edited posts as well. Just in case.

Cheesemeister, are you going to try and match up people from same regions now? That might be the way to go, making exceptions where there are too few people from certain regions perhaps.

How do those locales appear in the country settings in the menu? If they're all under the UK, then there's no need to make any distinction.

Top Bottom