• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Series of Poker 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Next Tournament: Main Event, $5+$0.50 No Limit Hold'em, Saturday March 26 at 4pm EST

GAF Series of Poker 2!

What is the GAF Series of Poker?
The GAF Series of Poker is a series of various poker tournaments that will be run exclusively for Gaming-Age members. These are micro-limit games, usually a $3+$0.30 buyin, so as long as you have money on PokerStars you can get in on the action!

When is it?
Tournaments run weekly on Saturday afternoons around 4:00 pm EST. This will allow everyone in the US and most of Europe to be able to play together at the same time.

How do I join?
The GAF Series of Poker is being run on PokerStars through their new Home Games feature. To join, simply do the following:

1) Download the PokerStars client if you haven't already, from http://www.pokerstars.com
2) Log in with your PokerStars account (create one if you haven't already)
3) Click on the "Home Games" button in the lobby
4) Click "Join a Poker Club"
5) For "Club Number", enter 88446
6) The invitation code can be found in my profile, under "Skype Name".
7) Enter your GAF user name under "Your Name", and click "Join"
8) After I approve you you will be in the GAF poker club!

Once you're in the club, feel free to join any tournaments you wish. There will be one real money game each Saturday. A leaderboard is also in place to track the overall standings and performance of our regular players (due to a minor glitch when setting things up, the current leaderboard is the sum of both the Season 2 and Season 3 standings in PokerStars' "Home Games" interface).

Feel free to join as many or as few tournaments as you please!

What are the stakes?
For real money games the stakes will vary between $1+$0.10 and $5+0.50 buyins per tournament.

What's the event schedule?
This is still tentative because I'm not entirely sure what the turnout will be. Games will play weekly Every Saturday at 4:00 pm EST. For the poker uninitiated, the "9-max" / "6-max" simply refers to the number of people sat at each table- there is no real maximum number of players.

Week 1 (Jan 22): $3+.3 No Limit Texas Hold'em (9-max)
Week 2 (Jan 29): $3+.3 No Limit Texas Hold'em (6-max)
Week 3 (Feb 5): $3+.3 No Limit Texas Hold'em (9-max)
Week 4 (Feb 12): $3+.3 Pot Limit Omaha 8/b (9-max)
Week 5 (Feb 19): $3+.3 No Limit Texas Hold'em (9-max)
Week 6 (Feb 26): $3+.3 No Limit Texas Hold'em / Heads up Single Elimination Tournament of Death
Week 7 (Mar 5): $3+.3 No Limit Texas Hold'em (9-max)
Week 8 (Mar 12): $3+.3 8-game (6-max)
Week 9 (Mar 19): $3+.3 Pot Limit Omaha (9-max)
Week 10 (Mar 26): $5+.5 Main Event, No Limit Texas Hold'em (9-max)

What do I get for topping the leaderboard?
Fame and glory. Maybe. GAF glory isn't all it's cracked up to be.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
PokerStars (where I play) just launched a new home game thingy that basically lets you set up private games. might be worth looking into. I'm down.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'd have to download the Pokerstar's client, but I wouldn't mind playing for fun/non-real money-on-the-line as it's been a while since I've played Poker.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
PokerStars launched their new Home Games system.
Wait, is this some sort of box I plug into my TV, or a website/program? I am down for some poker every now and then, but I don't want to buy some $40 box to do so.

I will say this, and it will likely be obvious to all of you, but if we do anything we all need to have the same starting amounts. It annoys me to no end that most of the time my family will allow any amount of money for when they played poker, meaning you can really just use your larger money supply (And the ability to keep buying more) to mussel people out.

RSTEIN

hey, sorry OP didn't see that you mentioned Home Games. lol

PokerStars is just a software client that you download on your computer. It's 100% free. Why don't we just start off with a $5 sit and go then see where we go from there?

A Penguin

I'm down. I have a super small roll (12 bucks) right now, so I can't handle much, but I'm cool with a one dollar buy in if thats possible.

RSTEIN

Mana Sin said:
Is there a way to spectate? I'm terrible at poker, but I enjoy watching it played.

Yup. You still have to download the PokerStars client tho (or whatever software we eventually choose to go with). Then you just search for our usernames and can spectate.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I'd be fine with either fake or real money. Well, depends on the buyin for the real money stuff. ;P

Chris R

Id be in depending on the times we would play. I was Thinking of bringing my poker monies over from ftp anyways.

Not quite sure if the interest is here yet but it's a start.

Afternoons are probably best since it gives Europeans the opportunity to play (a common complaint we got with the last time we tried this), so that just leaves Sat/Sun. Sunday's pretty much out of the question right now due to football. I'm thinking Saturday at 3 or 4 EST would be best.

I'm thinking we run both a Play Money and Real Money series in two separate Home Games sections- this should separate the the leaderboard standings between the two. You would be able to play in the real money tourney, the play money tourney, or both if you so choose. As for real money buyin I'm still thinking $3's best, with the main event being a little higher ($5/$10, maybe even $20).

Unfortunately it seems to be more of a pain in the ass to deposit and/or withdraw money than ever before. I haven't actually had to deposit money in a few years but it looks like Western Union is the only viable option for depositing in the US and that has a $100 minimum. If anyone has more experience with depositing lately I'd like to hear it.

For game mix I think doing the same thing as last time- standard NLHE every odd week, and "special" games every even week, to mix things up. Something like:

Week 1: 9 Max NLHE
Week 2: 6 Max NLHE
Week 3: 9 Max NLHE
Week 4: 8-game
Week 5: 9 Max NLHE
Week 6: 6 Max PLO8 Clusterfuck
Week 7: 9 Max NLHE
Week 8: NLHE Heads Up Shootout
Week 9: 9 Max NLHE

Another option is to reserve the even weeks for entirely special games, and move the 6 max / shootouts to odd numbered weeks if we want to get more game variation in. From experience the turnout from the special games from last time was alot less, however.

Thoughts?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Mister Zimbu said:
Not quite sure if the interest is here yet but it's a start.

Afternoons are probably best since it gives Europeans the opportunity to play (a common complaint we got with the last time we tried this), so that just leaves Sat/Sun. Sunday's pretty much out of the question right now due to football. I'm thinking Saturday at 3 or 4 EST would be best.

I'm thinking we run both a Play Money and Real Money series in two separate Home Games sections- this should separate the the leaderboard standings between the two. You would be able to play in the real money tourney, the play money tourney, or both if you so choose. As for real money buyin I'm still thinking $3's best, with the main event being a little higher ($5/$10, maybe even $20).

Unfortunately it seems to be more of a pain in the ass to deposit and/or withdraw money than ever before. I haven't actually had to deposit money in a few years but it looks like Western Union is the only viable option for depositing in the US and that has a $100 minimum. If anyone has more experience with depositing lately I'd like to hear it.

For game mix I think doing the same thing as last time- standard NLHE every odd week, and "special" games every even week, to mix things up. Something like:

Week 1: 9 Max NLHE
Week 2: 6 Max NLHE
Week 3: 9 Max NLHE
Week 4: 8-game
Week 5: 9 Max NLHE
Week 6: 6 Max PLO8 Clusterfuck
Week 7: 9 Max NLHE
Week 8: NLHE Heads Up Shootout
Week 9: 9 Max NLHE

Another option is to reserve the even weeks for entirely special games, and move the 6 max / shootouts to odd numbered weeks if we want to get more game variation in. From experience the turnout from the special games from last time was alot less, however.

Thoughts?
I've heard some people had luck in the US depositing with those gift pre-paid Mastercard/Visa cards, but only with certain kinds.

Cyan

Banned
Mister Zimbu said:
A few years ago we ran a series of play money poker tournaments and great fun was had. Overall I can't remember who won, so we'll just say it was me.
I think it was me... unless that was a different GAF poker tournament.

I'd love to join in this time, but I'm not keen on installing ad-ware laden poker programs on my nice, clean system.

ToxicAdam

I still have 100 bucks on Pokerstars. I'm in as long as we can do this late in the night (9pm EST).

I could possibly do Saturday afternoons. As long as it's a one-time deal.

XiaNaphryz said:
I've heard some people had luck in the US depositing with those gift pre-paid Mastercard/Visa cards, but only with certain kinds.

Any American can get in as long as they are comfortable handing over their bank routing number to a third party.

ToxicAdam said:
I still have 100 bucks on Pokerstars. I'm in as long as we can do this late in the night (9pm EST).

I could possibly do Saturday afternoons. As long as it's a one-time deal.

Any American can get in as long as they are comfortable handing over their bank routing number to a third party.

Does this actually work? I've never tried an EFT directly to a site, but my understanding was that banks wouldn't allow this anymore as part of the port security bill.

Im down for play money or real.

You can deposit easily with your bank account. I haven't had any problems so far. Some sites also use Ewallet. I haven't had any problems there either.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I will play but real money only.

Also Europe.

I'm going to do a trial run (both real and play money) tonight around 8 or 9 EST just to get accustomed to the home games interface. Real money will be a $1+$0.10 buyin.

I should have details on joining the game in an hour or two.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Mister Zimbu said:
I'm going to do a trial run (both real and play money) tonight around 8 or 9 EST just to get accustomed to the home games interface. Real money will be a $1+$0.10 buyin.

I should have details on joining the game in an hour or two.

I'll check on the weekend if its going to happen again.

I just registered under parrotbeak. Haven't used PS in a few years so going to hop on some free trnys and get used to the software. I'm also asking around to see if anyone I know irl can transfer money to me.

Ok, I have a test poker club set up now, with 2 tournaments set up tonight (8:30 ET)- $1+$0.10 real money, and 100+9 play money.

This will not likely be the actual club to join, just a test run for later.

You are invited to join my private poker club for Home Games online.

- If you don't already have it, download the free PokerStars software from www.pokerstars.com
- Open the main poker lobby, then click on the Home Games tab
- Click the 'Join a Poker Club' button
- Enter my Club ID number: 88446
- Enter my Invitation Code: helloworld

That's it! Once I've approved your membership request, we'll be ready to start playing Home Games online together.

If you want to find out more, visit www.pokerstars.com/homegames

This is registering for the "poker club" itself, not the tourneys, so make sure to join one or both tournaments after you get approved. I wish I could set it up to auto-approve but it doesn't seem there's an option for it.

Are Europeans likely to join this (time disparity) or should there maybe be a separate thing for that?

I'd be interested, but I'm in the UK and can't be up at silly hours during the week..

JambiBum

radioheadrule83 said:
Are Europeans likely to join this (time disparity) or should there maybe be a separate thing for that?

I'd be interested, but I'm in the UK and can't be up at silly hours during the week..
He specifically made it on the weekends so that people from the UK would be able to join in. Tonight is just a test run of sorts.

daw840 said:
Is it really a 100 min deposit?

That's for Western Union. If EFT works as well for US players as others say it does then the min deposit for that is $20. VISA/Mastercard deposits (which usually don't work for US players) are $10.

The main thing I want to test here is to see if the leaderboards properly separate out play money vs. real money- if they do then we can have everyone in one club. To properly test this out we're going to need 4 entries in each tourney. Play money has 4 already, but I'm all alone in the real money tourney :(

dream

Mister Zimbu said:
The main thing I want to test here is to see if the leaderboards properly separate out play money vs. real money- if they do then we can have everyone in one club. To properly test this out we're going to need 4 entries in each tourney. Play money has 4 already, but I'm all alone in the real money tourney :(

I'll join you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom