• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Series of Poker 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VALIS

Definitely in, both real money or fake, but I can't play on my actual weekly poker night, which is Thursday 7p-2a, EDT.

Both Poker Stars and Full Tilt are easy to deposit into from the US if you link your bank account. Otherwise it's a pain.

JambiBum

Mister Zimbu said:
That's for Western Union. If EFT works as well for US players as others say it does then the min deposit for that is $20. VISA/Mastercard deposits (which usually don't work for US players) are $10.

The main thing I want to test here is to see if the leaderboards properly separate out play money vs. real money- if they do then we can have everyone in one club. To properly test this out we're going to need 4 entries in each tourney. Play money has 4 already, but I'm all alone in the real money tourney :(

Is there a way to tell if a visa will work? I would rather just do it that way since it is a min of 10 instead of 20 if I can.

dream

JambiBum said:
Is there a way to tell if a visa will work? I would rather just do it that way since it is a min of 10 instead of 20 if I can.

Just try it. You won't get charged if your bank blocks gaming transactions.

dream said:
Just try it. You won't get charged if your bank blocks gaming transactions.

My first attempted deposit ever through Mastercard (like 9 years ago, well before the legislation) got me an angry call from my bank's security. :lol

dream

Mister Zimbu said:
My first attempted deposit ever through Mastercard (like 9 years ago, well before the legislation) got me an angry call from my bank's security. :lol

Well maybe you shouldn't be funding offshore terrorism efforts.

BigAT

Joined and registered for the play money tournament. I would be willing to play in real money ones, but my attempts to get actual money into various sites over the last few years (PokerStars, UltimateBet, FullTilt) have been unsuccessful. I miss the days when it was still pretty small and unregulated, when it was easy to get money in and out for US players.

totowhoa

Banned
I'm down for low-stakes real money, but not tonight. Got a bunch of things to do around the house here. If this picks up, I'd love to play... been itching to play poker for a while now, and I think play money causes people to play foolishly. A low 1$-5$ game would be enough to make me people take it a bit seriously, even though it's all in good, cheap fun.

BigAT said:
Joined and registered for the play money tournament. I would be willing to play in real money ones, but my attempts to get actual money into various sites over the last few years (PokerStars, UltimateBet, FullTilt) have been unsuccessful. I miss the days when it was still pretty small and unregulated, when it was easy to get money in and out for US players.

Ya, just buy a phone card with my Visa, and then a check in the mail to cash out. Stupid law.

So even if I find someone to transfer real money to me, how do US players cash out these days?

VALIS

parrotbeak said:
Ya, just buy a phone card with my Visa, and then a check in the mail to cash out. Stupid law.

So even if I find someone to transfer real money to me, how do US players cash out these days?

Checking account. Instant deposits in, but usually takes a few days to cash out.

Any idea on how long we're planning on going tonight?

I need to squeeze in a workout at some point this evening, so I might not be on for too long.

BertramCooper said:
Any idea on how long we're planning on going tonight?

I need to squeeze in a workout at some point this evening, so I might not be on for too long.

Looks like it's going to be about sit-and-go sized, so probably an hour or two.

This is my first time using PokerStar, so forgive me for not being savvy. I have the window open and all, so will the tournament pop up when it's game time or do I have to go back in and click on it?

ChubbyHuggs said:
This is my first time using PokerStar, so forgive me for not being savvy. I have the window open and all, so will the tournament pop up when it's game time or do I have to go back in and click on it?

As long as you're registered for the tourney and have PokerStars itself open, it will take you to your table and open a new table for you when the tourney starts.

rhfb said:
What tv show is that? I love Poker After Dark but more is better!

PokerStars The Big Game - high stakes cash game with a "loose cannon" player that PokerStars stakes. The loose cannon guy gets to keep any profits that he wins.

BigAT said:
That's odd that it splits into two tables even though there are under 10 of us.

My guess is its to accomodate for late registrations. I'd bet that we'll join to final table once the first level ends.

dream

Crazymoogle said:
What's the deadline on that?

About 10 seconds after I posted it. :(

Come sweat us! I already coolered poor Zimbu when I flopped quads against his overpair.

dream said:
Come sweat us! I already coolered poor Zimbu when I flopped quads against his overpair.

That stings even worse because I took a 3 month hiatus from poker after a long losing series of sessions that culminated in my JJ getting stacked off by 44 after a 44J flop.

dream

Mister Zimbu said:
That stings even worse because I took a 3 month hiatus from poker after a long losing series of sessions that culminated in my JJ getting stacked off by 44 after a 44J flop.

God, that's sick. How big was the game?

dream said:
God, that's sick. How big was the game?

Just 10NL. Nothing big, but still significant on a $250 bankroll when you lose 5 buyins in a few hours of play.

Just a small bit of variance, but I get shaken easily :p

JambiBum

So I was doing well in the tourney, and then got too fiesty and lost out. So I decided to try my luck at another real money table and now I'm up 25 bucks. (Insert smiley here)

daw840

Damn, had some people over and totally missed the tourney. At least this was just the set up one. I am in definitely for the next.

dream said:
Yeah, cause we're all nits. :(

SA's poker forum runs their own series of poker tournaments. One of the events was a $1 or $2 rebuy with just 80 or so players.

The prize pool at the end of the rebuy period broke the $1,000 mark.

Anyway, I think this turned out well enough to try out regular Saturday afternoon tourneys. Unless I can reset the leaderboard for this club, I'll start a new one (which means everybody will have to sign up again).

From here on out the prize pool will probably be set at 20% pay out instead of the current 15%. I'm not really a fan of winner take all.

I was thinking a vent server may be nice for this but it may be going a bit overboard at the moment.

Some questions:
1) New thread or keep this one?
2) Any comments on the schedule I posted earlier? 9-max NLHE every odd week, and some other wacky variation (6 max, heads up shootout, omaha, badugi, mixed, etc.) on every even one.
3) I get to pick an image for the club. I'm guessing it goes in the same little circle that your avatar image goes in. On first thought, the NeoGAF logo would fit perfectly. Upon reflection, however, so would the much missed :lol emoticon as well. Of course, the current image would work well too.
4) Any other thoughts/suggestions/feedback?

Play money's down to heads up. Real money has only eliminated one so far.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Damn, I just found the thread. I've been playing real money on Pokerstars for about five years.

I mostly play PLO, but I'm down for playing whatever with you guys.

EDIT: Just joined your club

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom