• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Series of Poker 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grats BigAT on winning the play money game!

Just a note for all of you pending invites, I'm not going to accept them unless we end up using this as the main club for the series, just because there probably won't be any more events under this one and I'd like to keep confusion to a minimum.

RSTEIN said:
Can't make it gents, wife in delivery room!

Buy a laptop.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Mister Zimbu said:
Grats BigAT on winning the play money game!

Just a note for all of you pending invites, I'm not going to accept them unless we end up using this as the main club for the series, just because there probably won't be any more events under this one and I'd like to keep confusion to a minimum.
Would you mind adding me, just so I can sweat the running real money game?

JambiBum

Mister Zimbu said:
Anyway, I think this turned out well enough to try out regular Saturday afternoon tourneys. Unless I can reset the leaderboard for this club, I'll start a new one (which means everybody will have to sign up again).

From here on out the prize pool will probably be set at 20% pay out instead of the current 15%. I'm not really a fan of winner take all.

I was thinking a vent server may be nice for this but it may be going a bit overboard at the moment.

Some questions:
1) New thread or keep this one?
2) Any comments on the schedule I posted earlier? 9-max NLHE every odd week, and some other wacky variation (6 max, heads up shootout, omaha, badugi, mixed, etc.) on every even one.
3) I get to pick an image for the club. I'm guessing it goes in the same little circle that your avatar image goes in. On first thought, the NeoGAF logo would fit perfectly. Upon reflection, however, so would the much missed :lol emoticon as well. Of course, the current image would work well too.
4) Any other thoughts/suggestions/feedback?

Play money's down to heads up. Real money has only eliminated one so far.

I say keep this thread. No real reason to make another one. The GAF logo or the smiley would work. Don't care either way. I would like a 4 est start on Saturdays. I have a special olympics basketball thing for my work on Saturdays and 4 would be easier for me to make.

dream said:
Why wouldn't we continue to use this club?

The club tracks a leaderboard of overall stats. Since this game was relatively short notice and wouldn't be at the same schedule we'd run it at normally, the only way to reset it (that I can see so far) is to instead start a new club.

Also it has "test" in the name and I don't think I can rename it.

If I can get both of those resolved I'd be fine with keeping this one.

Good game BigAT.
damnt.jpg

agrajag

Banned
Thanks GAF, this thread inspired me to start playing on PS again. After a short 30 min. warm up grind, I made $0.40 in micros (1 table).

dream

I can't believe this is going into its second hour.

edit: congratulations, osiris. wait, who's osiris?

Sent an e-mail to support so we'll see if we can get everything reset. If not I'll have the new details up shortly.

Congrats to Osiris for winning the $9 top prize in the real money game!

edit: Just checked my e-mail and noticed I probably spammed you with some test tournies I made before the game. Sorry about that.

dream said:
I can't believe this is going into its second hour.

edit: congratulations, osiris. wait, who's osiris?

I have no clue. Alot of people were good about sending me their GAF names when registering but unfortunately I can't see that anymore after approving them.

Mister Zimbu said:
I have no clue. Alot of people were good about sending me their GAF names when registering but unfortunately I can't see that anymore after approving them.
Just so no one was confused, I was the pink bear. =]
ChubbyHuggs.

Fixed1979

Mister Zimbu said:
Sent an e-mail to support so we'll see if we can get everything reset. If not I'll have the new details up shortly.

Congrats to Osiris for winning the $9 top prize in the real money game!

edit: Just checked my e-mail and noticed I probably spammed you with some test tournies I made before the game. Sorry about that.

Still need approval...same as GAF name.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
8:30 EST? :(

If this is going to be the usual time, I'll only be able to make weekend games due to work. I figure other Pacific coasters will likely be in the same boat.

VALIS

Nice game all. I thought the level of play would be a little lower but everyone was on top of shit. It was hard to knock anyone out. Looking forward to more.

JambiBum

XiaNaphryz said:
8:30 EST? :(

If this is going to be the usual time, I'll only be able to make weekend games due to work. I figure other Pacific coasters will likely be in the same boat.
Usual time will probably be 4. Tonight was just a trial run

XiaNaphryz

JambiBum said:
Usual time will probably be 4. Tonight was just a trial run
So 1 PM PST? I guess I'm only in for weekends then, if I have nothing else planned. I'll try to be available for any games/tourneys done afterhours though (past 7:30 PM Pacific).

VALIS said:
Nice game all. I thought the level of play would be a little lower but everyone was on top of shit. It was hard to knock anyone out. Looking forward to more.

Yea it was pretty tough. The game took a while for a single table.

Mister Zimbu said:
Anyway, I think this turned out well enough to try out regular Saturday afternoon tourneys. Unless I can reset the leaderboard for this club, I'll start a new one (which means everybody will have to sign up again).

From here on out the prize pool will probably be set at 20% pay out instead of the current 15%. I'm not really a fan of winner take all.
I was thinking a vent server may be nice for this but it may be going a bit overboard at the moment.

Some questions:
1) New thread or keep this one?
2) Any comments on the schedule I posted earlier? 9-max NLHE every odd week, and some other wacky variation (6 max, heads up shootout, omaha, badugi, mixed, etc.) on every even one.
3) I get to pick an image for the club. I'm guessing it goes in the same little circle that your avatar image goes in. On first thought, the NeoGAF logo would fit perfectly. Upon reflection, however, so would the much missed :lol emoticon as well. Of course, the current image would work well too.
4) Any other thoughts/suggestions/feedback?

Play money's down to heads up. Real money has only eliminated one so far.

Yea I am not really a fan of winner take all either. I think that also caused a lot of the nit play last night.

1-I say we keep this thread
2-Hell I would be down to do some 9-man everyday if people joined. It would have to be in the evenings for me though.
3-I'd vote on the Gaf image
4-Everyone tell other people so we can get bigger fields and more money to win!

I did some correspondence with Stars support and they said they would be able to reset both the club name and leaderboard stats, so we should be able to use the same club going forward.

Once I see this has taken place I'll open up registrations again, make a good looking first post and all that. The registration code won't be the same as the test one, and will be placed in my user profile so the unwashed masses can't get their grubby mitts on it.

Any thoughts on stakes for the tournaments? I have $1, $2, $3, and $5 available (and then higher ones up to $500). I'm leaning towards 2 or 3.

daw840

Mister Zimbu said:
I did some correspondence with Stars support and they said they would be able to reset both the club name and leaderboard stats, so we should be able to use the same club going forward.

Once I see this has taken place I'll open up registrations again, make a good looking first post and all that. The registration code won't be the same as the test one, and will be placed in my user profile so the unwashed masses can't get their grubby mitts on it.

Any thoughts on stakes for the tournaments? I have $1, $2, $3, and $5 available (and then higher ones up to $500). I'm leaning towards 2 or 3.

five bucks is always a good number.

K.Jack

Might as well stick to the standard SnG payout structure. Top 3 in a 9, or top 2 with 6.

My bankroll is too big to be playing $1 tourneys. Either $3 or $5 and I'm in it.

XiaNaphryz

Any chance we can have different timeslots for a given tournament? I.e. one for European players, one for North American players (ideally at a time that works for all time zones, otherwise split it to EST/CST and MST/PST ), one for Asia/Indonesia/Australia players, etc.

If people complain that there won't be a true "world champ" or whatever, there can be a separate tourney for all the winners/top 2s/top 5s/final table'ers/whatever from those tourneys. Would be a bitch to schedule everyone at a time they can all make it though.

K.Jack said:
Might as well stick to the standard SnG payout structure. Top 3 in a 9, or top 2 with 6.

My bankroll is too big to be playing $1 tourneys. Either $3 or $5 and I'm in it.

Unfortunately I can't control the payouts directly, i can only choose between top 10% / 15% / 20% pay.

XiaNaphryz said:
Any chance we can have different timeslots for a given tournament? I.e. one for European players, one for North American players (ideally at a time that works for all time zones, otherwise split it to EST/CST and MST/PST ), one for Asia/Indonesia/Australia players, etc.

If people complain that there won't be a true "world champ" or whatever, there can be a separate tourney for all the winners/top 2s/top 5s/final table'ers/whatever from those tourneys. Would be a bitch to schedule everyone at a time they can all make it though.

The problem is that there's no universal "good time" for everyone... 12:00 EST is bad for PST at 9:00 which is worse for hawaii and still is only around midnight for japan. At 3 or 4pm that's at least good for the entire US and most of europe.

XiaNaphryz

Mister Zimbu said:
The problem is that there's no universal "good time" for everyone... 12:00 EST is bad for PST at 9:00 which is worse for hawaii and still is only around midnight for japan. At 3 or 4pm that's at least good for the entire US and most of europe.
It's also impractical for most people in the US on a weekday that work full-time, including east coasters. I doubt our employers would look kindly on their workers playing poker on their work PCs. The time seems like it'll work fine for Europe though.

XiaNaphryz said:
It's also impractical for most people in the US on a weekday that work full-time, including east coasters. I doubt our employers would look kindly on their workers playing poker on their work PCs. The time seems like it'll work fine for Europe though.

The tentative schedule is for Saturday afternoons, so that should clear up (most of) the work issue.

XiaNaphryz

Mister Zimbu said:
The tentative schedule is for Saturday afternoons, so that should clear up (most of) the work issue.
Ah, ok. It's just that I see "GAF Series of Poker" and am thinking daily tourneys over the course of a couple weeks.

I found someone to transfer $ to me but he's asking why I don't just set up an e-check. Is there any advantage to having him transfer to me, or should I just figure it out myself, since to cash out I'll need to set them up with my checking account info anyway?

Although if I only play with gaffers, I probably won't have to worry about cashing out. Serious bunch of nits. [insert laughing face to connote humorous intention of previous statement, truth notwithstanding]

K.Jack

If you wanna sweat me in a couple Double Or Nothings, look up san goku. Be quick, before I get doomswitched.

Fixed1979

rinker said:
did the club info change? Tried joining with the id/code from the first page and I get an error message.

Yeah I think it's been closed and a new "official" one will be created.

I changed the code on the old one so anon GAF viewers wouldn't be able to register. My intent was to wait for the leaderboard to be reset before giving out the new code.

Stars support said they reset the leaderboard but I'm still seeing the old standings on my end. I'm thinking I'll just proceed as normal and if they leaderboards reset then they reset and if not then we can do without (or count Monday's tourney towards the standings).

So I'll try to get an OP set up and the new registration code out and all that when I can. If all goes well the tourneys will be on for Saturday afternoon.

OP has been updated the registrations for the poker club are open again.

Also opened the registrations for the first event. It's Saturday at 4:00 pm EST. $3 + $0.30 NLHE. There is a corresponding play money tournament for this event as well for the cheapos.

It's probably best for you guys to turn off the "receive e-mails from this poker club" checkbox in PokerStars if you get annoyed as easily as I do. You'll get an e-mail every time I create or cancel a tournament, which is annoying since once I create a tournament I can't change it again- I have to cancel and recreate it.

Fixed1979

Mister Zimbu said:
OP has been updated the registrations for the poker club are open again.

Also opened the registrations for the first event. It's Saturday at 4:00 pm EST. $3 + $0.30 NLHE. There is a corresponding play money tournament for this event as well for the cheapos.

It's probably best for you guys to turn off the "receive e-mails from this poker club" checkbox in PokerStars if you get annoyed as easily as I do. You'll get an e-mail every time I create or cancel a tournament, which is annoying since once I create a tournament I can't change it again- I have to cancel and recreate it.

Already registered for the tourney, see you guys at the table!

JambiBum

BowieZ said:
Alright, deposited $10.

How many people are playing? I hope it's worth me waking up at 6.30am on a Sunday! :p

Right now, including myself, 5. I haven't registered yet but I plan on it later today. Usually more people register the closer the tourney gets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom