• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Votes: greatest meltdowns in Gaming History. Ends March 8th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Final Fantasy - Hilarious, first time reading it, PS3 is doomed, selling PS3 etc.

Wiimote reveal

Dennis Dyack

- The WiiU reveal was also filled with hilarity and confusion all across the board, bad reveal Nintendo, bad one.

- Uncharted one isn't in the same league as things like FF13 and the Wiimote, especially since a good amount of quotes were taken out of context or jokes.

Seriously some disgusting stuff and I'm surprised the key figures from those Uncharted 3 threads still have the ordacity to post on these forums. We literally got 2 brand new Uncharted threads a day for 2 weeks from these fools around the time Uncharted 3 came out. I'm not talking about regular Uncharted fans here, just those diehard fanboys.

8 out of 10, never forget.

I shielded myself from that horror.

I best leave that in the past.

If it finishes top 3 I will have to read the thread though.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
The Uncharted thing barely counts since almost all of the super ridiculous quotes were people trolling.
I don't know if we can be that charitable. And in any case, if it's hard to tell the trolls from the genuine posters, then the trolls have won.

Finally read the Denis Dyack thread after seeing it referenced a number of times elsewhere. Two things really stood out in it:

1) The number of bans handed out.
2) The numerous mentions about how Diablo III was "just around the corner" in 2008.

nickcv

Finally read the Denis Dyack thread after seeing it referenced a number of times elsewhere. Two things really stood out in it:

1) The number of bans handed out.
2) The numerous mentions about how Diablo III was "just around the corner" in 2008.

it's just amazing reading in the FFXIII thread how some people where expecting sony to reveal FFVII during the E3

i'm wondering, for how long has the FFVII remake meme have being going on?

nickcv

I wasn't really being sarcastic. I can't remember if it started right after that, but I'm pretty sure that tech demo is what led to the never-ending hype that it MUST BE COMING!

lol... i wonder if it will ever be released if it will turn out to be the DNF of its generation

Huff

Banned
I don't know if we can be that charitable. And in any case, if it's hard to tell the trolls from the genuine posters, then the trolls have won.
At least half of those posts were jokes. Yeah some people flipped a shut for no reason, but it wasn't as bad as some websites made it seem

The Uncharted thing barely counts since almost all of the super ridiculous quotes were people trolling.

I'd suggest going back and reading the thread in its entirety. No, they weren't.

A small minority may have been, but as someone who has read the thread in order, all 125 odd pages, I'd wager that most of them were absolutely legitimate. You can see it in the thread, as passions raise gradually in its contained ecosystem, the absolute ecstasy that hits when IGN's review comes out (filled with joyful exclamations), and then soonafter the immediate reactionary bitterness and vilification that comes from the very same posters the second the Eurogamer number appears.

About ninety percent were taken from the point before the thread became aware of how ahem "controversial" it had become, when it was simply an extremely dedicated bunch of enthusiasts praising acceptable scores, and condemning the less palatable ones with viscous, unthinking scorn.

That's why its so scary.

The retroactive labelling as most of the comments as apparent trolling, just seems to be a failed attempt at downplaying the whole sorry mess. Its better we learn from what happened rather than deny it.

Junie12

Subscribed

Love these type of threads. It gives me a look into GAF history and all the insane hype and meltdown threads I missed :D

Deadbeat

Banned
I'd suggest going back and read the thread in its entirety. No, they weren't.

A small minority may have been, but as someone who has read the thread in order, all 125 odd pages, I'd wager the overwhelming majority were absolutely legitimate. About ninety percent were taken from the point before the thread became aware of how ahem "controversial" it had become, when it was simply an extremely dedicated bunch of enthusiasts praising acceptable scores, and condemning the less palatable ones with viscous, unthinking scorn.

That's why its so scary.
Uncharted 8/10 outdid the crazy from TP 8.8. An amazing feat no doubt. Even with that in mind, I cant say its better than Dyack. Dyack was amazing.

I never found the Sega 3rd party thread. Does anyone have a link to that?

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
The best thing about the Wiimote thread is all the posts to the effect of "as if Sony and Microsoft would ever copy THIS!"

Slime

Banned
I meant the 3DS junk.

It was so bad that I was banned the day before shit went down.

At least you were accurate :p

GW2kx.png

andthebeatgoeson

1. Jeff Bell vs Gaf. Only because I never knew who A Master Ninja was and it rocketed him to stardom, the tardedness of an exec joining our board just to troll someone, the way the thread goes from 0 to fuckall in 178 posts, Jim probably getting in trouble for outing him, the lame cover he used (kids, do your homework on urselves and make sure you come up with a better cover), the way his cover was so transparent, it probably didn't matter but the way the board was moving, it just made sense that a mod blew his cover (you can't make this stuff up). Yes, board meltdowns are expected but it was equivalent to a low ranking NOA exec joining GAF just to combat weak trolls. It didn't require a response and just the combo of all the events elevates it above all the rest.

2. DQ9 was classic cuz I didn't have a stake in it and the ridiculousness just put things in perspective. Everyone pushing for a DQ upgrade to HD and the classic quote from one of the mods mentioning sarcastically how RPGs where about the shiny and new. Just the whole culmination of 50+ pages of expectation and hype to see it crash and burn and the sick burn was just topping.

3. In other lands, the Wiimote reveal would be #1, giving how the generation turned out. But there were plenty of reasonable people who expected good things from Nintendo and could see the possibilities. Just look at that initial reaction from Matlock. Wow. You just have to shake ur head at how off it was. The picture, he's banned (I know not for that) and the outcome just make up for severe crow. Of course, this will get some to ignore Nintendo's future mistakes and just assume Gaf will forever be wrong but we can get a sense of why MS and Sony failed hard in the beginning of this gen when a large portion of people who seem reasonable (ha) and educated about the gaming profession had it so off. It will be the stuff they make textbooks out of, just how off the reaction was. I can't leave it off this list since it is historic. Switch the Wii name reveal and you have thhe same paragraph.

Nobody's nominated Mega Man Legends 3 getting cancelled yet? I guess maybe there wasn't as huge an explosion as some of the other examples, but still.

This one was equivalent to getting your heart ripped out and stomped on. I'm not sure if it's quite equivalent to a meltdown. Minimal console warz in the thread and most people were pretty sane, (that I can remember), just the half dozen or so megaman legends fans absolutely destroyed because you can't announce and then cancel a sequel to a long lost cult classic game.

Forkball

FFXIII in terms of people actually being angry as hell. Wii remote was more shock and confusion, but FFXIII was just hate transmuted into text.

So much crow was eaten in the Wii remote thread though.

evil ways said:
:lol :lol :lol

Oh Nintendo, Nintendo, Nintendo, when are you guys gonna learn that weird, unique and original doesn't equal good.

You will be missed......

Uh huh.

holy shit....i missed that and sat here in tears reading it.

awesome stuff right there....a must read!

actually yes,

the moistness. never forget it

the best thing about that thread was that gif that 2 minutes turkish posted (which you can't see because it was on tinypic which is banned now)

1) Jeff Ball vs GAF
This one was great, I was on the thread very early reading it after work, went to make dinner, did a WoW raid, then came back to a 70-page LOCKED thread, and a 45-page and growing by the second thread with all sorts of standoffs and ethics battles going on. It sucked for A Master Ninja, Jim, and Evilore, but in the end, greatness was had by all (except Jeff).

2) Denis Dyack vs. GAF
I once revered Dyack. Legacy of Kain and later Soul Reaver were some of my favorite games for the PSX. To see him reduced to whatever he became during the time of that thread was...oddly hilarious despite this. The response thread by Evilore banning him was even better.

3) E3 '06 Sony Press Conference
This one didn't have ban cullings, nor many meltdowns on a personal level, it was if the entire forum was just rocking back and forth blinking unseeing at the mind-blowingedness, but with inordinate amounts of butt-hurt spin. E3 '06 Sony Press Conference

nickcv

Why didn't the RE4 betrayalton make the list? The bitter tears in that thread was quite sweet! :)

no link no party :(

This one was equivalent to getting your heart ripped out and stomped on. I'm not sure if it's quite equivalent to a meltdown. Minimal console warz in the thread and most people were pretty sane, (that I can remember), just the half dozen or so megaman legends fans absolutely destroyed because you can't announce and then cancel a sequel to a long lost cult classic game.

i'll add the nomination anyway, we'll see what's GAF consensus :D

3) E3 '06 Sony Press Conference
This one didn't have ban cullings, nor many meltdowns on a personal level, it was if the entire forum was just rocking back and forth blinking unseeing at the mind-blowingedness, but with inordinate amounts of butt-hurt spin. E3 '06 Sony Press Conference

added the sony conference!

twilight princess 8.8 was amazing...lol

guys if you don't link it i can't add it >.<

twilight princess 8.8 was amazing...lol

I was only a lurker then. But in my (possibly failing) memory - the Twilight Princess vitriol was far more prevalent on other parts of the internet with NeoGAF's contribution being pretty minimal compared to the scale of the firestorm happening elsewhere.

The Uncharted III thing was exclusively a NeoGAF event though, its a story that began and ended with us. For that reason, personally, I'd elevate it above the Zelda "controversial" review reactions.

The Uncharted III thing was exclusively a NeoGAF event though, its a story that began and ended with us. For that reason, personally, I'd elevate it above the Zelda "controversial" review reactions.

Yeah, following the Uncharted 3 thing was pretty amazing. It was this crazy organic thing. And yeah, I remember IGN blowing up over the 8.8, but the Uncharted 3 is an 8 thing seemed to outdo even that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom