• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Votes: The Best iOS Games ever, version 2

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I would be remiss if I didn't put in my vote. I know I will get some crap for the amount of gameloft games in my list.

1. Galaxy on Fire 2 HD/SD - one of the best iOS games I have ever played. Seeing this type of game neglected on consoles it was wonderful to see it available on the iPhone.

2. Star Battalion HD - Such an awesome overlooked game. This is a game that marries Starfox and Rouge Squadron together on a mobile device. The last stage is just one huge space battle on your cell phone. I love this game

3. Mass Effect infiltrator - Another game that makes me question why i even need to buy consoles anymore. The graphics and gameplay are very good.

4. The Dark Knight Rises iOS game - I know this is a licensed game and bad enough a gameloft game but i have such fun with this game. Batman in an open world on the iphone and even better the game is good. This game makes me think vehicles might work in a rocksteady batman game.

5. Groove Coaster - I LOVE this game. This game brings a smile to my face and makes me want to play more and more. Everyone with an iOs device should buy it.

6. Jazz: Trump's Journey - Such a wonderful and different type of platformer. Has a very unique style and art a must have for everyone.

7. Bastion iOS - Having played this on the ipad I like the game even more then when I played it on the 360.

8. Fruit Ninja - what's not to love with this game. Very addictive gameplay.

9. NOVA 2 - I wasn't too sure about this game since I hate FPS games but it was 99 cents and the graphics seem decent. After I started playing I could not stop.

10. Peggle HD - Whats not to love its Peggle.

11. Real Racing 2 - Fantastic looking game, I wish I could get better though

12. Asphalt 6 - Amazing looking game and I am great at it.

13. Space Invaders Infinity Gene - Game made me like Space Invaders finally.

14. Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery - The music and graphics

15. Sacred Odyssey: Rise of Ayden - This is a pretty good zelda ish clone for ios.

16. Scribblenauts Remix - Warner Bros. - Glad this game out for iOS or i would have not been able to play such a good game.

17, Soul Calibur - Soul Calibur on my iPad, nuff said.

18. Game Dev Story - Crack in game form.

19. Dead space - Never really liked the survival horror genre but this game is good.

20. The Walking Dead - Just as good or even better than the TV show and comic.

conman

1. Espgaluda 2 - still impressed at how well my favorite Cave shooter has been translated to iOS
2. Bug Princess 2 - equally impressed at how well my second favorite Cave shooter has been translated to iOS
3. Beat Sneak Bandit - one of the most inventive and all-around fun rhythm games out there
4. Run Roo Run - incredible combination of platforming, time trials, and endless runner
5. Sword and Sworcery - I'm a sucker for style. What can I say?
6. Cut the Rope - Smart puzzle design that fits the platform perfectly
7. Infinity Blade - kept me busy far longer than it should have. for that it deserves credit
8. Bug Princess - one of the best quality iOS ports of a Cave game
9. Dodonpachi Blissful Death - on par with Bug Princess for port quality
10. Zookeeper DX Touch Edition - this one still keeps me and my wife occupied
11. Squids - I was shocked that a short-form action RPG could work so well on iOS
12. Space Chem - even though others played this on PC, I got into it on iPad. Smart design that makes you feel smart.
13. Flight Control - beautiful presentation and surprisingly hard
14. Osmos - simple design with inventive application of basic ideas
15. Dodonpachi Resurrection - not my favorite of the Cave ports, but still great
16. Bring Me Sandwiches! - great platforming fun
17. Angry Birds Rio - best of the Angry Birds games
18. Jetpack Joyride - best of the endless runners
19. Super Hexagon - despite the hype, this is a quality game. all about the bragging rights.
20. Monsters Ate My Condo - great fun combining action and puzzle blocks... until you get too good at it.

1. Ziggurat - This game has balls.
2. Plants vs. Zombies - Gotten addicted to it on 3 separate occasions.
3. Groove Coaster - Awesome soundtrack, pretty graphics, fun game.
4. Espgaluda 2 - I'm pretty casual when it comes to these games, but having one on my phone is just fun.
5. Scramble with Friends - Apparently I like boggle.
6. Run Roo Run - Fun little platformer
7. Rayman Run - Great runner, also very pretty
8. GameDev Story (Kairosoft in general) - All these games play pretty much the same, but man they can be addicting.
9. Tiny Wings - Been playing for 2 years and it's still fun.
10. Infinity Blade 2 - Nice improvement on the first one.

kodt

Banned
1. Magic 2013
2. Gunman Clive
3. Ghost Trick
4. Jetpack Joyride
5. Game Dev Story
6. Edge EX
7. Super Hexagon
8. Space Chem
9. Plants Vs Zombies
10. Fruit Ninja

1. Helsing's Fire -
2. Carcassone - Perfect re-creation of the board game and superb multiplayer implementation.
3. Assassin's Creed: Recollection - A collectable card game that can only be done on a computer due to the various real time timers. Lack of a robust online community is kinda holding it back.
4. Plants Vs. Zombies - Especially with all the recent content updates, this touchscreen implemetation is the definitive version of PvZ.
5. Ascension - Great implementation of card deck building game. Online not quite as well done as Carc, but works.
6. Tiny Wings - iOS games may be ridiculed for making games out of a simple mechanic, but this game shows that even the simplest mechanics can be made in to a compelling and artful game.
7. Cut the Rope - Does the "levelled, 3-starable, physics puzzler" better than Angry Birds due it's superior solvability (I tend to feel AB can be a bit too random in how you place your shots.)
8. Where's My Water - Like CtR, with an extra dose of Disney-fueled saccarine charm.
9. Vs. Racing - From the Dark Nebula guys, introduces a nice new racing tilt control (imagine the car is a marble, tilt the race course to drive around the track.) Could stand to use more tracks.
10. Super Stick Golf -
11. The Incident -
12. Osmos -
13. Solomon's Keep - Diablo-lite.
14. Battleheart -
15. Lost Cities - Little early for me to rank it too highly, but I love how it's so easy to play in short spurts.
16. Forever Drive - Anyone remember that Drivey screensaver? Imagine that as a overhead driving game.
17. Auditorium -
18. Crosslogic Unlimited -
19. I Dig It -
20. Space Miner: Space Ore Bust -

More comments to come.

bede-x

Feeling a little short on time so I'm not certain if these are my favorites, but at least they're among them.

1. Sentinel 3
2. Kingdom Rush
3. Fieldrunners 2
4. Superbrothers: Sword & Sorcery EP
5. Machinarium
6. Osmos
7. Anomaly Warzone Earth HD
8. King of Dragon Pass
9. Mos Speedrun
10. Super Crossfire
11. Great Little War Game HD
12. Companions
13. World of Goo
14. Groove Coaster
15. Incoboto
16. Game Dev Story
17. Eufloria
18. Final Fantasy Tactics
19. Majesty
20. Plants VS. Zombies

elfinke

In no particular order... Here are those games which are still kicking on either my phone or iPad, and thus have stood the test of time/space management.

1. Galaxy on Fire 2 HD
2. New Star Soccer
3. Pocket League Story (though truly, any * Story game)
4. Dungeon Raid (with the one caveat, it doesn't work on my iPad)
5. Jetpack Joyride
6. 8 Bit Rally (SNES Top Gear 3000 for idevices!)
7. Carcassonne
8. Ticket To Ride
9. Dragon Slasher (it's Demon's Souls, for your idevice!)
10. GeoDefense
11. Palm Heroes/Kingdoms
12. Ziggurat
13. King of Dragon Pass
14. Football Manager Handheld
15. Battleheart
16. The Room
17. Tiny Bang Story
18. Baseball Superstars
19. Ghost Trick
20. Football Management RPG

I feel that's a pretty decent recap of the many hundreds of games I've tried over the years, though I'm sure there are some games that I have left out. The rankings are out of whack (KoDP and Tiny Bang Story could be much higher, for example), but I'm not that bothered.

bonesquad

Adding my picks that way when the votes are tallied and the list sucks I can complain. Even about my own votes:) Putting all-time iOS games in a list isn't easy. Going through what's on my phone now...

1. Trainyard - Best puzzle game ever not starring Lolo.
2. Ascension - Best board/card game on iOS.
3. Cut the Rope - Not a fan of most 3-Star games. This is a big exception.
4. Groove Coaster - One would think iOS would be full of great rhythm games. Wrong. But here's one.
5. Dungeon Raid - Best Match-3 game ever that isn't limited to matching 3.
6. Carcassonne - My favorite board game digitized.
7. Summoner Wars - Best async game on iOS.
8. Neuroshima Hex - Best tactical war game.
9. Lost Cities - Quick, simple, fun card game. I play it with my mom:)
10. Jetpack Joyride - One of the only endless runners I ever liked.
11. Monsters Ate My Condo - Sweet game. Much better than that IAP laiden Super garbage:p
12. Shibuya - The original (?) vertical match-3 game.
13. Radballs - Terrible name. Fun match-3 with a cool 80s house soundtrack.
14. Drop7 - Oldie but goodie.
15. Brainsss - Neat little lite strategy/puzzle game.
16. Hunters 2 - Tough as nails TBS.
17. Continuity 2 - Really slick puzzle game.
18. Ichi - Best one-touch puzzle game out there.
19. Rebuild - New, but I can already tell I should include it.
20. Super Hexegon - Most dangerous iOS game. I've wanted to throw my phone so many times...

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Extending voting for ONE MORE DAY! I won't have time to count the results today, so might as well let it run a touch longer. Vote!

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Here's mine:

1. Sword and Sworcery
2. Bastion
3. League of Evil 2
4. The Room
5. Drop 7
6. Kingdom Rush
7. Rayman Jungle Run
8. FFT
9. Hunters 2
10. Incoboto
11. Gridrunner
12. Groove Coaster
13. Beat Sneak Bandit
14. Walking Dead
15. Hook Worlds
16. Minotaur Rescue
17. Squids
18. Waking Mars
19. Bring Me Sandwiches
20. Lost Winds

Voting has now closed, results will be released tomorrow.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
In no particular order:

• 5. Kingdom Rush -- who'da thunk it, TD games can actually be a shit-ton of fun. Best out there.
  • 3. PvZ -- Still ridiculously relevant and fun.
  • 2. Dungeon Raid -- Dungeon Raid
  • 6. Civ Rev -- Don't listen to the snobs. It's a great portable Civ solution.
  • 4. Deathsmiles -- my personal favorite Cave shooter. Lolis in a Castlevania setting with anime sensibilities.
  • 1. Final Fantasy Tactics -- One of the best games evar! Amazing story...amazing.
  • 7. Monsters Ate My Condo -- An iOS classic, as far as I'm concerned.
  • 8. Sword & Sworcery -- If iOS has a masterpiece, this is it.
  • 10. Waking Mars -- One of the coolest adventures I've played in a good, long while.
  • 9. Puzzle Craft -- One of the best iOS releases this year, but those fuckers need to fix some serious issues.
  • 11. Rayman Jungle Run -- editing this post to add this game...because it totally deserves to be on a "best of" list -- effin' awesome!
  • 12. DoDonPachi: Resurrection -- Deathsmiles is my personal favorite Cave shooter on iOS, but this one is a close second and a must-own for any shooter fan with an iOS device.
  • 13. Rebuild -- This is a last-minute addition, but it's perfect as lucky 13. This is one of those insanely addictive, "just one more turn, OMG it's three in the morning" games. Only recently discovered it, but in contemplating other great iOS games I've played, it's worthy of any "top" games list.

EDIT: All right, so since they were already bulleted, I just added numbers in the order I guess I could live with.

God fucking dammit man, that's not cool :mad:

1. Final Fantasy Tactics -- One of the best games evar! Amazing story...amazing.
2. Dungeon Raid -- Dungeon Raid
3. PvZ -- Still ridiculously relevant and fun.
4. Deathsmiles -- my personal favorite Cave shooter. Lolis in a Castlevania setting with anime sensibilities.
5. Kingdom Rush -- who'da thunk it, TD games can actually be a shit-ton of fun. Best out there.
6. Civ Rev -- Don't listen to the snobs. It's a great portable Civ solution.
7. Monsters Ate My Condo -- An iOS classic, as far as I'm concerned.
8. Sword & Sworcery -- If iOS has a masterpiece, this is it.
9. Puzzle Craft -- One of the best iOS releases this year, but those fuckers need to fix some serious issues.
10. Waking Mars -- One of the coolest adventures I've played in a good, long while.
11. Rayman Jungle Run -- editing this post to add this game...because it totally deserves to be on a "best of" list -- effin' awesome!
12. DoDonPachi: Resurrection -- Deathsmiles is my personal favorite Cave shooter on iOS, but this one is a close second and a must-own for any shooter fan with an iOS device.
13. Rebuild -- This is a last-minute addition, but it's perfect as lucky 13. This is one of those insanely addictive, "just one more turn, OMG it's three in the morning" games. Only recently discovered it, but in contemplating other great iOS games I've played, it's worthy of any "top" games list.

There's that's how you do a bloody list.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
1. Plants vs. Zombies - It's freaking PvZ
2. Infinity Blade - dat graphics
3. Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery - dat music and aesthetic
4. Phoenix Wright - it's Phoenix Wright
5. 嫁コレ - because I like the girls and it's a fun way to get more fun out of the ones you like from different media
6. Words With Friends - an easy casual game that everyone can play, and the social network integration was great

Way to waste a vote there fella. Do I just have it down as 'unreadable' on the results?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I really want to check out ZiGGURAT but it doesn't seem to be available in the US right now. What's up with that?

Some favorites of mine. Outside of Doom Classic, all of these are 60 fps. In fact, 95% of the games I keep on my phone at 60 fps.

Sonic CD - Without a doubt my most played iOS game. For me, it's the incredible time trial mode in which the objective is to bring your overall time under 25 minutes for the entire game. I found a new appreciation for Sonic CD that I never had. It even handles beautifully with a touchscreen, amazingly enough.

Dynamite Jack - A surprisingly awesome stealth puzzle game. The controls, level design, and feel of the game are all spot on. It doesn't look like much from shots, but it's a really slick game.

Super Crate Box - As hard as this is I am stunned by how well it plays with a touch screen. Love the hell out of it. More importantly, the iPad version works great with the iCade making this one of the best games to play using that setup.

Grim Joggers - One of my favorite runners. The inclusion of multiple characters all running together makes for an interesting addition to the genre but it's the excellent random level generation, amazing music, and great visuals that really pull you in. I've had a ton of fun with this one.

Edge EX - One of the best games on iOS. Basically Marble Madness in cube form with a really slick presentation.

Darius Burst - A wonderful PSP shooter translated well to iOS. Extra modes, improved visuals, and great controls are all part of the package. Cave shooters are great too but they look rather poor on the high-res phone screens and resort to ugly scaling. If you enjoy horizontal shooters give this a shot.

Hook Worlds - My favorite of the Hook games.

Doom Classic - The best translation of an FPS to a mobile device. If you setup the control properly you end up with a unique feeling game. You use your thumb to slide the character around the environment. It has just the right momentum that you feel as if you have perfect control. The fact that it does NOT use dual stick controls make a world of difference here.

Mos Speedrun - A great platformer with a lot of challenge. Also supports iCade.

Rayman Jungle Run - A translation of Rayman Origins to iOS. Focuses on timing based levels and quick reflexes. This is how you bring a franchise over to a touchscreen. The actual Origins game would never work here but this just plays great!

There are loads of other great iOS games as well, of course.

This is not voting, it's just listing games.

Good games though, shame.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
1. Tiny Wings - One word: Charm. More Words: This game has an abundance of charm. It's also addictive as fuck. I love the music, the art and the "yaaahhhoooooo"
2. Game Dev Story - Again, so addictive. Though I hate when my Mushroom MMO series fails to break 10m sales :(
3. McPixel - I fucking love McPixel because *explodes*
4. Sword & Poker - I think this may have been the first iOS game I really enjoyed, but I still come back to it and its sequel fairly often.
5. Tilt to Live - Who'd have thought that the thing to perfect the twin-stick shooter genre would be getting rid of the sticks? Genius.
6. Battleheart - Give me Battleheart 2 with more loot and on a larger scale & I can die happy.
7. Rayman: Jungle Run - Gorgeous little platformer/endless runner.
8. Extinction Squad - Love the art, love the humour and the gameplay keeps me coming back. Love love love.
9. Monsters Ate My Condo - Again, it's all about the character and the simplicity of play. They really could make a cartoon about this game. I'd watch it religiously.
10. Fruit Ninja - An obvious classic. I love slicin' me some fruits. It's like a better, more streamlined version of Metal Gear Rising. Probably.
11. Dead Space - Despite the controls frustrating me, this is obviously a really well put together game in a series I love.
12. Space Miner: Space Ore Bust - One of the first games I played on iOS. Where's the damn sequel?!
13. Total War: Battles - The full titles intimidate me like you wouldn't believe so I'm glad this is such an accessible little gem.
14. Elder Sign: Omens - I imagine this is a fantastic boardgame, but to me it'll always be a solo game of shitting myself on my last doom counter.
15. Trainyard - I think a gaffer made this? Love the art and the puzzles are great fun too.
16. Burnout Crash - Not sure what I love about this so much, but there it is.
17. Cut the Rope - Everyone I know loves this game and it's not hard to see why - it's like a Mario game in that it introduces a gimmick and plays with it until it's just about to get boring, then it swaps it up for something new.
18. Super Crate Box - The only frustrating thing about this game is that I set a high score that I've come nowhere near to beating in months.
19. Reckless Racing 2 - Was a toss up between Real Racing 2 and this, but this is just so much more fun to play, at the end of the day.
20. Sword & Sworcery - OK, it might seem stuffed up its own arse at times, but this is a gorgeous, fantastic game to play.

You sneaky bastard! Do you even have an iOS device?

canedaddy

1. Puzzle Agent
2. World of Goo
3. Cover Orange
4. Game Dev Story
5. Plants vs. Zombies
6. Kickin Momma
7. Sword & Poker
8. To-Fu: The Trials of Chi
9. Words with Friends
10. Cut the Rope

Sad list, I know... I might be forgetting something, but those are the ones that come to mind. I've actually tried a lot of the games hyped in this thread and was not impressed. I've pretty much given up on iOS as a gaming platform.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
1. Puzzle Agent
2. World of Goo
3. Cover Orange
4. Game Dev Story
5. Plants vs. Zombies
6. Kickin Momma
7. Sword & Poker
8. To-Fu: The Trials of Chi
9. Words with Friends
10. Cut the Rope

Sad list, I know... I might be forgetting something, but those are the ones that come to mind. I've actually tried a lot of the games hyped in this thread and was not impressed. I've pretty much given up on iOS as a gaming platform.

Even sadder given that they won't be counted.

Top Bottom