• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF: Wii U or Playstation 4?

EDIT - Well I've all but decided that I'm going to get a Wii U. I mean after all worse come to worst I can always just sell the console and games for $200 to 300 and put that towards a PS4.

Now I'm just debating whether or not I should wait for the refurbished Wii Us to get back in stock or go on Ebay and find a good deal like this.

Thanks for the help GAF!

I'm currently in the market for a next gen console and am deciding which one I should get.

The first is the WiiU.

Reasons I want to get it:

- Bayonetta 1 and 2. I never got to play the first one and hear that the second one is even better. These games seem right up my alley since I am huge fans of Devil May Cry and Metal Gear Rising. The Wii U edition is the definitive version of Bayonetta 1 and Bayonetta 2 is not coming to any other platform but Wii U.

- Nintendo games. Sure they seem samey but there is always something that pulls me in about them. Who doesn't like a good Mario game?

- Xenoblade and Xenoblade X. I didn't play the original Xenoblade and since the Wii U is backward compatible with the Wii, I will now be able to. I watched the Treehouse on Xenoblade X and it looked phenomenal.

- Splatoon looks fantastic. I love playing Counterstrike and Red Orchestra but this game looks so fresh and fun. The Treehouse videos had me mesmerized.

Reasons that shy me away from it:

- It's not secret that the Wii U is a flop. And it is also not a secret that Nintendo is likely to be the first of the big 3 to launch a new console. The question is when. If I get three more years of Wii U being the main Nintendo console that would be great. However if I come to find that next E3 Nintendo announced a new platform I'd be pissed.

- The Wii U may blow its load after Xenoblade X. The Wii had a great promising lineup back in (2008 I think?) but after Monster Hunter Tri their was virtually nothing else interesting until Zelda and Operation Rainfall games.

Second choice is the Playstation 4:

Reasons that I want to get it:

- Games that won't come to the PC. I have a gaming PC and I do most of my gaming on that. However I would be lying if I got sort of pissed that I went with the Wii last gen instead of the PS3 because I missed out on some games that either took an eternity to come to PC (hello Valkyria Chronicles), came to PC outdated (Blazblue), or didn't come to PC at all (Bayonetta). I really hope this doesn't happen again with Guilty Gear Xrd and whatever is planned down the line.

- I never played The Last of Us and I heard it is an incredible game. The definitive version is on PS4. I think that says enough.

- Persona 5...enough said.

- Long life. They system isn't even a year old yet. It has plenty of life left in it. It feels so stupid even typing out to say a new successor won't be released for years. And that is a positive.

Reasons that shy me away:

- Too similar to PC gaming. By and large the type of games made for consoles these days aren't that much different than what you can find on PC.I mean sure Killzone and Drive Club look like decent games but I can get similar and better experiences on my PC.

- PC ports are now as common as ever.I said previously that a plus was that I get games that don't come to PC. However over the past decade or so there has been a slow, but gradual, shift of console games to PC. Hell today you can find the likes of Killer is Dead, Dynasty Warriors, and Dead Rising 3 on PC while already big games like Metal Gear Solid V are announced for PC. In a few years it seems that almost every significant 3rd party game release, Japanese or American, will have a PC release within a year of release on consoles.

- Paying for online. I don't give shit about the "free" stuff I get on PSN Plus. Paying to play videogames on the internet is the most ridiculous crap I have ever heard. I guess Nintendo sort of does it too but I don't really count it if I can get the amount of money I would pay in a life time by looking down while walking on the sidewalk for two minutes.

- The lineup. Or should I say lack there of. I mean what's coming out for this system?There is Persona 5, Uncharted 4, and Guilty Gear Xrd. What else?

They're so completely different that the only answer is BOTH.

In a perfect world, but unfortunately I don't have enough expendable income to get both.

Wynnebeck

Banned
both.png

K' Dash

You have a gaming PC.

Get a WiiU.

Just so you know, I have all three and to be honest, I could do without the PS4, get a nice bundle on Black Friday 2015.

Koppai

Wii U already has a great library. PS4 not so much, I haven't bought a game for it all year. Best deal is refurb from Nintendo for $200 but I hear they are sold out.

El Sabroso

from your post it seems you are interested in more titles that are for Wii U, both are good consoles, but get the Wii U first

DJIzana

They're so completely different that the only answer is BOTH.

Exactly. Too many titles for both systems coming out. Nintendo's also ending 2014 really strongly with the Wii U. Smash, Bayonetta 2, Captain Toad... yeah.

Sony is bringing the guns in starting February as well.

Regiruler

The real answer is the XBox One, The Complete All-In-One Entertainment System

I haven't used a PS4 before so I am somewhat biased, but your reasoning towards the Wii U is fairly sound

Griss

You like Nintendo gaming and have a good PC. The PS4 has mostly multiplats. Come on, the answer is clear. Wii U. You won't regret it.

EDIT: I have both, and bought a PS4 before the Wii U as I was disappointed with Nintendo at the time and Wii U's launch was weak.

My default answer for this is:

Have a gaming PC? Get a Wii U.

Don't have a gaming PC? Get a PS4 (or Xbox One).

You have a gaming PC so get a Wii U. PS4's exclusives are too few and far between right now. Furthermore none have been worth going out and getting a console for yet.

Teriaaaaa!

Neo Member
If you have a PC the Wii U currently has the stronger exclusive line up at the moment. (IMO)

Also I highly doubt that they will be replacing the Wiiu any time soon.

It's been said a lot on this forum but Wii U and PC is a really good way to go. I definitely recommend getting a Wii U if the exclusives appeal to you. You won't regret it.

Shun

Whichever has more exclusives you want and can afford.

I'm personally not too keen on the PS4 yet because of mandatory PS+ and the potential extra fees such as a JP PS+ subscription on top to play online and the fact that there's no guarantee that Online Passes are gone.

We might just see Online Passes pop up again, especially with Bandai Namco games. 360 owners still had to pay for an online pass on top of Gold for TTT2 and the risk of this being the case is really unappealing to me.

As a person who mostly plays imports, potentially paying for 2 PS+ subscriptions kinda blows.

I'm sticking to my PS3 until I know that Sony won't be scum with their subscription practices.

Seeing as you have a gaming PC, get a Wii U now, then a PS4 in another year or so once Bloodborne, Ratchet & Clank, Uncharted etc are out. Because the answer really is both.

EBE

treat yourself to a real next generation system, the Xbox One All-In-One Entertainment Console.

no seriously, i think you should get a PS4 out of those two.
it appears to have a lot of interesting stuff coming to it in the future.
and specs for those games on pc already seem a bit ridiculous so unless youve got a really good set up... i think the investment is worth it

SalvaPot

Wii U is the best option right now. If you enjoy Nintendo games then its a no-brainer, Wii U has in my opinion the best generation of games:

-Best 2D Mario.(NSMBU beat SMW for me)
-Best 3D Mario. (Have yet to play SMG2, that may change my opinion)
-Best Pikmin game
-Best Mario Kart
-Best Minigame collection (Nintendoland)
-Best Superhero game (Wonderful 101)

And the Gamepad is just a delight.

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
PS4. The too similar to PC thing is bullshit. The exclusives on the PS4 are made for console and are best on console.

I think OP is part of the 'I am never buying an Xbox One and need to publicly announce it crowd' tho OP announced it without even mentioning the Xbox One. 6/10.

Also OP might already have an Xbox One, in which case, lol jk.

CmdBash

Considering you have a PC you should probably get wii u now and wait a couple of years for the ps4 platform to mature and price drop.

Both. Just decide which one first on how much you want to play THAT game.

I'm personally not too keen on the PS4 yet because of mandatory PS+ and the potential extra fees such as a JP PS+ subscription on top to play online and the fact that there's no guarantee that Online Passes are gone.

You need ps+ only on one account to play online across all your other accounts.

ZeroX03

Banned
Wii U has the stronger first party line-up and is cheaper. Backward compatibility for Wii stuff if you need it. PS4 will grow better over time, but for now all the third party stuff will play better on your PC anyway. So like most people recommended, Wii U now, PS4 later.

Nif

My default answer for this is:

Have a gaming PC? Get a Wii U.

Don't have a gaming PC? Get a PS4 (or Xbox One).

You have a gaming PC so get a Wii U. PS4's exclusives are too few and far between right now. Furthermore none have been worth going out and getting a console for yet.

Yeah, I was going to say the same thing. PC is getting mad 3rd party games, so it really comes down to who has your favorite exclusives. Right now Nintendo's killing it, so it's hard not to recommend it to anyone who likes Nintendo games.

Easy recommendation is to get a refurbished or cheap Wii U now for <$300 and then a PS4 once its library is less boring.

Resilient

PS4. The too similar to PC thing is bullshit. The exclusives on the PS4 are made for console and are best on console.

I think OP is part of the 'I am never buying an Xbox One and need to publicly announce it crowd' tho OP announced it without even mentioning the Xbox One. 6/10.

Also OP might already have an Xbox One, in which case, lol jk.

What if I play a multi plat game on PC with a console controller. Then what happens?

steveovig

Personally, I'd say the Wii-U. I've had one since launch and have put a good couple hundred hours into this thing and there are plenty of great titles to choose from. Wait for a PS4 drop. By then, there will be a lot more good stuff out. Also personally, I've had one since July, and really only use it for Netflix and WWE currently.

Top Bottom