• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF: Wii U or Playstation 4?

- It's not secret that the Wii U is a flop.
giphy.gif

Get a Wii U.

Yes.

The only game that the PS4 has that I find worth playing, is a PC port.

I like the controller based play, and player side stored save data.

It is the only PS4 game that I currently own.

I sold the others back for store credit, because they sucked.

The Wii U, on the other hand, has at least a dozen exclusives that I thoroughly enjoy playing.

I own all of them.

I'm the opposite from you. I currently only have 3 games for Wii U that I consistently play and will play in the future (Smash 4, MK8 and NSMBU). And for the future I'm only waiting for Xenoblade, Zelda and Star Fox to be done with the WiiU and move on.

For Ps4 I'm pretty sure I've played more than 15 titles and that number keeps rising. And I'm waiting for a couple of games this year to play. So yes PS4 has games, and at the end it comes down to the person gaming needs to decide which console is the best option. For my gaming needs the PS4 is the best option at the moment.

Can watch it on youtube tho. Same experience.

This is treading a mighty fine line between "joke" and "drive-by shitpost." Can't tell which one it is. Giving Exile the benefit of the doubt (and assuming it's a joke), it's still not that funny.

Anyway, I'm a fan of both, but the recommendation right now is Wii U, definitely. I think the PS4's library will someday pass the Wii U's in terms of great games, but admittedly it's far from that at the moment. There's only so much that the TLoU:R can do on its own.

EDIT: for what it's worth, this recommendation is brought to you by a life-long Sony fan. Every console generation where a Sony console has existed, I've bought it first. Except for this one, in which I bought a Wii U, and it's one of the best purchasing decisions I've made.

Fbh

Op seems to have already decided.
But if it helps, as someone who owns both consoles:

If you already own a PC then WiiU is the obvious choice.

The Ps4 is a valid choice if you also plan on using it to play multiplatform games, but if you are not then it basically comes down to the exclusives on each system, at which point it's not even a competition anymore.
So far I haven't played a single ps4 exclusive I'd qualify as more than "Ok" but on WiiU I already own quite a few games that I'm pretty sure will be some of my favorite ones of the generation.
Now true, Ps4 exclusives are getting better. Bloodborne is comming, Persona 5 is comming, Uncharted 4, etc. But if we are looking at the here and now you have the choice of a system with a already existing list of solid exclusives, and one with the "promise" of good games.

I've enjoyed playing the Wii U more than my PS4 but considering Nintendo first party MSRP and PS+/sales, PS4 has way more value IMO. So, if money is no object, go with Wii U, but otherwise I would say PS4.

PS4 is a bit underwhelming, also if you have a gaming PC the Wii U would work well alongside the PC with it's plethora of exclusives

*edit: Noticed you went with the Wii U

ps4 is the better deal as of now. and gets all 3rd party support

get a wii u when it gets a massive price cut. buying a wii u for anything over 200 bucks is cray

phen0m24

I did a search for Wii U on the forum and found this thread.

Here's my deal:

Single Dad. Two boys. They have a 360 in their room. My older one plays Minecraft and Destiny. Younger one watches stuff on the ipad.

Was going to get my son an Xbox One (we already have a PS4) so he could play Destiny with more people - do raids, etc. (He has already raided on PS4 though) But the more I think about it, I want to get them a Wii U instead.

Is the Wii U at its current price point ~$250-$275 a decent deal? Or is it better to wait? I know my boys will enjoy the Nintendo games: Mario, Smash, Zelda, Kart, etc. I just feel like buying the One is advancing them past great games that are more age-appropriate and FUN (on Wii U) rather than jumping straight to the Halo clones.

Thanks GAF!

TL:DR; Should I buy my boys a Wii U? I think I would rather have them playing Mario than Destiny or Halo.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I did a search for Wii U on the forum and found this thread.

Here's my deal:

Single Dad. Two boys. They have a 360 in their room. My older one plays Minecraft and Destiny. Younger one watches stuff on the ipad.

Was going to get my son an Xbox One (we already have a PS4) so he could play Destiny with more people - do raids, etc. (He has already raided on PS4 though) But the more I think about it, I want to get them a Wii U instead.

Is the Wii U at its current price point ~$250-$275 a decent deal? Or is it better to wait? I know my boys will enjoy the Nintendo games: Mario, Smash, Zelda, Kart, etc. I just feel like buying the One is advancing them past great games that are more age-appropriate and FUN (on Wii U) rather than jumping straight to the Halo clones.

Thanks GAF!

TL:DR; Should I buy my boys a Wii U? I think I would rather have them playing Mario than Destiny or Halo.
Yes. The Xbox will present itself with better deals in the future as they get older, but if you want something more age appropriate, the two of them can both enjoy most of the Nintendo stuff.

For real...I play the Wii U more than the PS4 lately. It just has more games that I'm interested in lately, but it's more solo play and local play. Can't speak to the online community.

Laconic

Banned
I WILL say this - there are two games coming out this year that look to potentially take 90% of my gaming time back from handhelds.

One of the two is on the Wii U.

The other is on the PS4.

If you put a gun to my head, I'd still say go with the Wii U. But that's because, at the end of the day, I prefer JRPGs to Action JRPGs.

Neff

I have a Wii U and a PS4, and between them they're taking up most of my gaming time in addition to my New 3DS XL, but I have to say that the Wii U unequivocally offers by far the better value and content of the two so far.

Although It seems OP made his/her choice, and it was the right one.

ps4 is the better deal as of now. and gets all 3rd party support

get a wii u when it gets a massive price cut. buying a wii u for anything over 200 bucks is cray

This is laughable, sorry.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
If Japanese console games are your favorite gaming experience, you gotta have both so you can enjoy the full spectrum. They complement each other exceptionally well in this regard.

Cosmozone

Get both at some point. Pretty safe to get Wii U first, though. I'm getting a PS4 when there are more games and the system is cheaper.

sörine

Banned
Well there you go.

By Metacritic PS4 has more games already, its going to double its library by the end of the year and the Wii U wont come close.
Even if PS4 doubled it's library by year's end, and Wii U had zero new releases in the same timeframe, PS4 would still technically have less games.

Metracritic has PS4 ahead already because many of Wii U's releases are relatively low visibility (indies, casualware, Virtual Console) and at this point it has little to no consistent support from traditional publishers.

SFenton

As an owner of Xbox One and Wii U, I'd say get the PS4. There's a guaranteed decade of excellent support coming for it.

This is no knock against the Wii U, however- it's simply been relegated to being my Nintendo exclusives machine. Which, I'd surmise, several people in this thread have probably said already.

Top Bottom