• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaf, will we ever see The Last Guardian

Sande

I don't think yosp would lie about it so It's probably still in development and likely coming at some point. I really don't understand what the hell is going on over there though. They've shown nothing in like six years. What gives?

Kirby's Return to Dreamland was a game that started as a multiplayer centric Kirby 64-esque game for the GameCube in the early 2000s and was actually announced in like 2004 or 2005, then it got reworked into a Wii game that was a 3D platformer, then into a pop-up book/cel shaded style 2D platformer, then finally a 2.5D platformer with co-op features but traditional Dreamland-style gameplay for the Wii in 2011.

That's the most notorious first-party case I can think of, barring stuff like Zelda games like OoT or TP taking a year or two longer than normal because of development complications. HAL worked on other stuff in the meantime.

You could sort of possibly think of Pikmin 3, but it's questionable as to how much was actually in development on the Wii when Miyamoto mentioned it in 2008 to its actually being unveiled as a Wii U game in 2012.

Mother 3 is another one.

Harabec

Neo Member
I think it will eventually ship. But will it be a game worth shipping? Who knows what state it is in and how many times it has been rebooted...

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
It probably transformed into something else. Maybe the game just wasn't a lot of fun so they changed the structure and came up with a new game. We'll see.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I don't think yosp would lie about it so It's probably still in development and likely coming at some point. I really don't understand what the hell is going on over there though. They've shown nothing in like six years. What gives?

And the project could potentially have been in some form of development for up to 9 years, going by Aquamarine's timeline.

The Last Guardian will be the last game before mankind becomes extinct.

Obligatory:

OhwSrQj.gif

KoopaTheCasual

It probably transformed into something else. Maybe the game just wasn't a lot of fun so they changed the structure and came up with a new game. We'll see.
This is what I personally fear/think happened as well. We'll get a game called "The Last Guardian", it just won't be anything like Ueda intended. Most telling was Ueda saying his creative work was done with TLG.

Sony is saving TLG for when they declare bankruptcy and close the Playstation division. It will be the final game they release.

The Last Guardian: The Last Game

I still believe. But it's a little like Half Life 3 at this point, where the wait has been so absurdly drawn out that it's not really a matter of "meeting the hype" anymore. People will just be amazed if/when it releases, and maybe it will be great, maybe it will suck or maybe it will just be okay...

The fact that Shu has said "it's not canceled" means that it's not canceled. They're probably starting from the ground up again. And because of the long wait and infamy behind it, TLG, as a name, has become pretty damn recognizable among gamers. It's just underneath HL3 levels of popularity. And this game isn't even an installment in a franchise. Simply put, it doesn't matter when it comes out or if it's even any good. Sony will eventually release this game.

Because you're buying day one.

terrisus

The fact that Shu has said "it's not canceled" means that it's not canceled. They're probably starting from the ground up again. And because of the long wait and infamy behind it, TLG, as a name, has become pretty damn recognizable among gamers. It's just underneath HL3 levels of popularity. And this game isn't even an installment in a franchise. Simply put, it doesn't matter when it comes out or if it's even any good. Sony will eventually release this game.

Because you're buying day one.

Other than the "not part of a franchise" thing, this reminds me of Duke Nukem Forever

85kfKkj.jpg

Everyone bought that day one, right?

The sad part about Duke is that the game actually had a demo. People knew for a fact it wasn't anything better than mediocre at best and still bought it.

Peltz

They wouldn't quash rumors if it were indeed cancelled. They'd just give a "we don't comment on rumors and speculation" type of PR statement.

They wouldn't outright lie about the game. It still exists. Whether it will ever actually come out is another question.

But I bet it's still in the works in some form.

Portugeezer

Yes, but the game was in trouble. I think Sony are pulling the wool over our eyes. Game got canned, good and proper, but Sony didn't want to tell us after the more recent fan response (since PS4 announcement).

I think development got restarted since PS4 announcement, game is back on.

Uh no.

Team ICO are still at SCEJ. Its just Ueda. It has to be said though he was the visionary of these games but the team are also incredibly talented (artists, designers etc) to make it happen.

Whether Ueda makes another game with SCEJ and Team ICO is up in the air.

We just The Last Guardian to come out.

No, that's not true. Previous executive producer on the project Yoshifusa Hayama left the company along with Ueda and Kenji Kaido, producer on Ico and SotC (involvement in TLG unclear) during the same time frame. These are key people within the team responsible for building up the studio's reputation with these games. They are probably quite satisfied with moving on to other things, working independently. I believe it's far, far up in the air that we'll see another Team Ico game as I've come to know and love them. That is, with Ueda and Kaido on board.

As for TLG, who knows? It's on Sony's ass to get the game out of the gate at this point. Ueda stated that his work is done. I would like the game to see the light some day, in the form we all imagined it to have. PS4, PS5 - I don't care. But I'm honestly more excited to learn further about the independent projects Ueda reportedly is working on.

Darksol

I have a good feeling this year. Then again, I've had a good feeling for eight years straight, so my good-feeling barometer is probably in need of adjusting.

hemo memo

Gold Member
FFXV and TLG fans ;'/

HDAoCAr.jpg

Its an RPG so obviously long and its a main line Final Fantasy game so you know it will sell well.

TLG on the other hand:

-new IP
-Short
-Devolpers bad sales record
-Long development time
-High Hype level

No matter how good the game it will disspoint. It will be forgotten in like 3 months, not long after that we gonna read the Inevitable NeoGAF thread with the title "The Last Guardian: What went wrong?"

I'm sorry, that's the reality i see.

Freeman

Banned
Yes we will, most likely. We will also see HL3 (much later).

Even Shenmue 3 has a chance to happen.

At this point Sony has a moral obligation to release TLG even if it turns out to be a piece of crap. Most of the money is already spent after almost a decade of development, this game won't even need much marketing since everybody that follows games already know about it.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
On one hand:

1. they showed it twice

on the other hand:

1. it died
2. kev told me so
3. its been 4 years since youve seen anything on it
4. multiple sources reported it was cancelled but then were "corrected"

wmlk

Why the heck do people pretend that Duke Nukem was some hallmark to gaming? It's infuriating.
We get it. DNF sucked.

The Mean

Neo Member
We will get another trailer at e3 2017. It will look good enough to be on the next-generation of consoles.

It will not be released on the ps4.

Cosmozone

Still struggling with HD transition. But honestly, Team ICO's programmers were probably not capable enough to cope with the demands of the game. Either that or those demands were extraordinarily high. Switching to PS4 could've made the game still possible, though, although killing some more time, obviously.

Still believe it can come out, if Sony hasn't turned off the money. Maybe it'll look like a PS3 game with better frame rate, I still wouldn't be disappointed.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
Well of course we will see it my dear. Now eat your vegetables, brush your teeth and I'll read you a story before bedtime. Trust grandma.

SJRB

Gold Member
At this point, should you even want to?

There is no way it can possibly live up to expectations.

Pennywise

On one hand:

1. they showed it twice

on the other hand:

1. it died
2. kev told me so
3. its been 4 years since youve seen anything on it
4. multiple sources reported it was cancelled but then were "corrected"

Good old russian IGN.
I shouldn't have doubted them.

Probably not.

I keep seeing people tweet about it in my feed before every new game convention but nothing. Its rather annoying.

But lets say in a hypothetical world the game does release this fall. To me there are plenty of other great games out on the market that have achieved what TLG set out to achieve. The last of Us probably being on of them. Its relevance on the market is just diminishing every year. Time can be a good thing and a bad thing. Sadly in this case its a bad thing.

I think gamers just need to let it go and stop caring. There are plenty of other titles on the PS4 that i am sure will be amazing.

Top Bottom