• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaf, will we ever see The Last Guardian

sublimit

Banned
We might, and I hope it will be good. Hoping for the best, expecting the worst. But after TLG, that's probably it for Team ICO, and despite of all the wonderful indie developers these days, nobody has managed to replace them for me, and I fear nobody ever will.

As long as SCEJ exists there will always be a Team Ico.

We will eventually see it, but it will be revamped. It won't live up to expectations and I worry that Team ICO will have stagnated in the progression they made 10 years ago and it won't be a true "next gen" experience.

It'll remind us that if it had come out originally on PS3, it would have been revolutionary. Instead, I expect it to be another cog in the wheel. A well-greased cog, but a fantastically ordinary one.

Style

Banned

iHQ0GOIn7QLyY.gif

Jedi2016

At this point, I really don't know any more. The question keeps coming up and they keep saying "It's still in development", but they need to stop talking and show us something. They've probably got a team of three people working on it, they need to just give it a full team, blast the thing out the door, and be done with it.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
But honestly, at this point I think it's just cancelled. The timeline regarding this project is ridiculous:

http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=116211575&postcount=278

I think they're just dodging the question to avoid the wrath of the thousands of people who've been diligently waiting for the past 7 years...like me.

I hadn't seen that post yet. Really puts things into perspective.

Time to update the list:

The Last Guardian Development

9 years ago (June 2005)

October 18th, 2005 - Team Ico releases their last original game, Shadow of the Colossus

8 years ago (June 2006)

It's reported that Team Ico was just experimenting with new ideas in this time period, like deciding between a PSP and PS3 project, etc.

Fumito Ueda: "If we were to make our next game, it would, naturally, be on the PS3"

7 years ago (June 2007):

February 2007 - Team Ico suggests that its new game was in the early phases of design

May 18th, 2007 - Sony reveals that Team Ico is developing two games

January 24th, 2008 - Team Ico teases the following image about their next big project, states it's heading to PS3:

lg2PBMw.jpg

6 years ago (June 2008):

August 4th, 2008 - Shuhei Yoshida: "Team Ico has something really, really good on the way."

August 6th, 2008 - Fumito Ueda says the new project has a long way to go before finishing development

August 28th, 2008 - Shuhei Yoshida: "The project isn't ready to show at TGS 2008"

March 25th, 2009 - Fumito Ueda says the essence of the new project will be similar to Ico

May 19th, 2009 - First footage of the game "Project Trico" leaks online
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF3fED8EXl4

5 years ago (June 2009):

June 2nd, 2009 - Sony reveals the above video in greater length at E3 2009, calling the game "The Last Guardian"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHzHoMT5eRg

June 3rd, 2009 - Fumito Ueda talks about The Last Guardian's gameplay

September 23rd, 2009 - The Last Guardian shows up at TGS 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fAHqFrH79Y

February 3rd, 2010 - Fumito Ueda says that we will learn more information about TLG soon

4 years ago (June 2010)

June 22nd, 2010 - TLG doesn't show up at E3 2010

September 16th, 2010 - TLG shows up at TGS 2010 with a new trailer and a promise for a Holiday 2011 release
http://www.viddler.com/embed/7050afe...t=0&autoplay=0
http://www.viddler.com/file/7050afe2/html5/

September 24th, 2010 - Fumito Ueda talks more about TLG

March 2nd, 2011 - Team Ico was going to include a TLG demo in Ico and Shadow of the Colossus Collection, it doesn't work out

March 2nd, 2011 - A demo of TLG was apparently shown to Sony employees / press internally

April 20th, 2011 - Fumito Ueda delays TLG from Holiday 2011

3 years ago (June 2011)

September 8th, 2011 - TLG is nowhere to be found at E3 2011 or TGS 2011, Sony states that the development team is hard at work to deliver "the very best gaming experience possible"

September 22nd, 2011 - The Ico & Shadow of the Colossus Collection releases, a few staff members from Team Ico oversaw the project but it ws mainly developed by Bluepoint Games

November 30th, 2011 - Reports surface that Fumito Ueda leaves Sony and becomes an independent freelancer, still working on the project

December 12th, 2011 - Sony confirms the game is still in development, Sony confirms that Executive Producer / Director of the project Fumito Ueda has quit Sony but stays attached to the project as a freelancer

February 10th, 2012 - Shuhei Yoshida states TLG is making "progress, but slow progress," and it's "tough," but "it's still a really important project" so "there's some scrapping and rebuilding - iteration in the process"

February 14th, 2012 - Fumito Ueda confirms that development for the game is challenging, but it will come out

February 16th, 2012 - Sony states that Sony Santa Monica will help finish the game

2 years ago (June 2012)

June 5-6, 2012 - Nothing at E3, Yoshida blames "technical difficulties" as the reason, Scott Rhode says TLG will release "when it's done"

August 9th, 2012 - Sony re-registers trademark, reconfirms game is in development

August 15th, 2012 - Shuhei Yoshida: "They had to redo some of the work they had done"

November 7th, 2012 - Doesn't show up at TGS 2012, Shuhei Yoshida: "They're working hard on the project," refuses to commit to a 2013 release

February 13th, 2013 - Rumours start to emerge that TLG has been shifted development to a PS4 title for a while now and that it has been restarted a number of times

February 13th, 2013 - Fumito Ueda confirms the game is still in development under his supervision

February 22nd, 2013: Shuhei Yoshida: "We're waiting for the right time to re-introduce TLG"

1 year ago (June 2013)

June 11th, 2013: TLG doesn't show up at E3 2013, and Jack Tretton states the game is "on hiatus" but "has not gone away"," Shuhei Yoshida quickly rebuts that with "the game is in active development"

August 21st, 2013: Fumito Ueda: "The Last Guardian is still in development, but other projects such as Puppeteer and Knack currently taking higher priority"

October 10th, 2013: Doesn't show up at TGS 2013, Shuhei Yoshida: "A smaller team is re-engineering the game"

November 19th, 2013: Fumito Ueda states that he is "terribly sorry" it has taken so long to finish The Last Guardian, and that "my creative work was mostly finished a long time ago," but "the details of when, where, and how it will be completed are beyond my control."

March 12th, 2014: Scott Rhode: "We're not not going to announce what platform it’s coming on, who’s working on it, who’s involved. But that is still a title that’s absolutely in the mix at Worldwide Studios. That’s the most you’re gonna get.” He also adds that he "loves that people are still interested in it."

Today (June 2014)

June 8th, 2014: IGN starts a rumour that TLG has been cancelled in an internal meeting the prior week, cites Sony Russia exec. as the source, Scott Rhode + Yoshida "laughed at this rumor over dinner" and reiterated on Twitter "TLG has NOT been cancelled."

June 9th, 2014: TLG doesn't show up at E3 2014, and Shawn Layden says that, "on an occasion in the future," he will "talk more about what that progress looks like / what that route to market is going to look like" regarding TLG

June 12th, 2014: Shuhei Yoshida: "It exists. The team is working hard on it. When we cancel a title and it is something we have announced already, we'll say so."

Metfanant

I hope they eventually make a documentary about the production of this game.. I wonder what the hell happened..
It would be an embarrassment for Sony and their WWS for any kind of Documentation regarding the complete mismanagement of this title to see the light of day...

Grewitch

We'll see it at TGS. I have a strong feeling about this. Stronger than the one I had for this past E3.

Or some time next year or the years after that.

It will never come out and I don't care how recently Sony said otherwise. Shit was cancelled years ago. Refreshing to see it was never pushed through the door half-assed to justify development costs.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Nope. Concept teaser aside there has never been any evidence that I know of about the game actually existing. It's similar to Half-Life 3 in that sense, both have been conjured into existence from fans tears

Amir0x

Banned
I think so. After the uproar of IGN's article and everyone in Sony saying it is still being developed, I believe the backlash they'd receive now would not be worth any money they'd save cancelling it for good. And since it has "apparently" been in development forever, they might as well see this one through

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I guess we'll see it when Disco makes a comeback

No. Even if it were to release, it feels like it would no longer matter to me. The game is more or less dead, in my mind and in my heart. Team Ico's supposed magnum opus has been all but mired by years of management hell and executive teasing. Sony has had the resources to make this game happen, but it has not been their interest to do so. I do hope for those that still anxiously await this game, that it one day does show up and that it was worth the wait. I'm not even sure what to expect anymore.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
DEAD.

IT'S DEAD.

OK?

Most games that go through Development hell are 3rd party games that often have various ownership sales and dev-team changes as part of the process. Does anyone know of any first party games that have been in development hell that actually came out?

KoopaTheCasual

Nope. Concept teaser aside there has never been any evidence that I know of about the game actually existing. It's similar to Half-Life 3 in that sense, both have been conjured into existence from fans tears
I... Really don't understand this warped logic. Even if you think it's never coming out, you are saying that a game that was confirmed to exist at some point in time by both head of the entire Sony studios and the game director, had a release window, and had in game footage, is in the same realm of "existence" as a game that has never been explicitly mentioned, never had solid names attached to the project, never had official trademarking, and completely ignored by it's developers? Such a failed parallel.

Lucreto

We might get something at Gamescom. After the huge fan reaction of the rumoured cancellation and Yoshida talking about it. They had 3 months to compile a brief teaser trailer.

I doubt it but there is a chance.

People say TGS but it was originally unveiled at E3 so any show is fair game.

Most games that go through Development hell are 3rd party games that often have various ownership sales and dev-team changes as part of the process. Does anyone know of any first party games that have been in development hell that actually came out?

Kirby's Return to Dreamland was a game that started as a multiplayer centric Kirby 64-esque game for the GameCube in the early 2000s and was actually announced in like 2004 or 2005, then it got reworked into a Wii game that was a 3D platformer, then into a pop-up book/cel shaded style 2D platformer, then finally a 2.5D platformer with co-op features but traditional Dreamland-style gameplay for the Wii in 2011.

That's the most notorious first-party case I can think of, barring stuff like Zelda games like OoT or TP taking a year or two longer than normal because of development complications. HAL worked on other stuff in the meantime.

You could sort of possibly think of Pikmin 3, but it's questionable as to how much was actually in development on the Wii when Miyamoto mentioned it in 2008 to its actually being unveiled as a Wii U game in 2012.

InsuRn

Yes, because I believe in @yosp !
But I don't think it will be shown this year, and a holiday 2016 release seems likely.

nkarafo

I'm afraid this is going to be another Duke Nukem forever.

Last Guardian had some progress but every asset is now pretty much useless since it was made for the previous generation in mind.

As is/was, it's effectively dead. Odds are Sony will never officially cancel it though, and it will probably release in some form or another.

Mexen

As of now, it is difficult to say. However, I believe that if no news/reveal is made on it soon, then expect the worst.

Realistically speaking though, we will probably see it albeit not any time soon provided the aforementioned condition doesn't hold.

If we do receive some word, however, on its progress then I would like to believe we will see it next year... By that I mean own and actually play it.

I really do believe Sony is lying to us. When that IGN story came out about it being cancelled and Sony literally laughed it off, that kind of rubbed me the wrong way. They haven't shown a goddamned thing of this game in years. If it's still alive, Sony, fucking prove it.

We might, and I hope it will be good. Hoping for the best, expecting the worst. But after TLG, that's probably it for Team ICO, and despite of all the wonderful indie developers these days, nobody has managed to replace them for me, and I fear nobody ever will.

Uh no.

Team ICO are still at SCEJ. Its just Ueda. It has to be said though he was the visionary of these games but the team are also incredibly talented (artists, designers etc) to make it happen.

Whether Ueda makes another game with SCEJ and Team ICO is up in the air.

We just The Last Guardian to come out.

Top Bottom