• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gafcast Episode 5: 9-12-2006 Hey! We're back!

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Belfast said:
So you guys still looking for someone else?

3 seems to be the magic number for now, we are thinking about bringing in guests every now and then.

Also the tgs episode of the gafcast will actually be recorded with all of us in the same room! How exciting is that?

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
You ruined the surprise :(

i'm trying to figure out whether i need to buy an extra mic or two or just have everyone huddle around the one mic... hmmm decissions.

Brannon

DCharlie said:
i'm trying to figure out whether i need to buy an extra mic or two or just have everyone huddle around the one mic... hmmm decissions.

Well one of you is gonna have the breath bads...

yonder

Very good episode, guys. Love the 'Real GAF Heroes' :lol

As for the question of the week, Sony's decision has just made me more adamant about not buying a PS3. Although a later release in Europe should mean a stronger launch line-up but...it's just not fair, dammit.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
Wii price prediction:

24800 Yen in Japan
199.99 Dollar in US
199.99 Euro in Europe

Mrbob

New Adventures of Chris Kohler.

Sp0rks and Dcharlie you need to chime in more! :D

Well at least everyone has something to say about Sony in the end!

Mrbob

Oh and as for your questions of the week, Sony's lack of shipments decent really affect me. I don't plan on buying a PS3 until a pricedrop anyway.

With Wii pricing, I'm sticking with $229.99, but I hope $149.99 is true. I'll definitely pick one up at launch for $150. It shouldn't be too expensive, considering we are paying for what is really a new controller. Especially when I see a launch lineup filled with GC ports. Maybe I'm missing something, but when I see Zelda on Wii, Paper Mario on Wii, a bunch of UBI current gen games ported to Wii (Besides Red STeel but that's a whole other set of problems), it is hard to get excited about the possibilities. Perhaps next year when real Wii games start coming out, and not current gen games with tacked on functionality hit it'll be a more exciting prospect.

People try to make DS parallels, but remember it took the DS nearly a year before it took off.

DCharlie

Sp0rks and Dcharlie you need to chime in more!

Kohler was at his sparkling dominating best - i was running on limited sleep , and have a bad tendency to keep saying the same thing over and over... saying "um" too ! ... and only actually playing one game... (Chromehounds)

Gah! "I gots to find the remedy"

jedimike

sp0rsk said:
Also the tgs episode of the gafcast will actually be recorded with all of us in the same room! How exciting is that?

Very exciting because I was getting tired of ****ing with my volume everytime someone different would talk. DCharlie and Sp0rks were like twice as loud as Kobun. It was that way through my MP3 player and also my speakers at the office, so I know it wasn't my gear.

There were some dead spots and some awkward moments. That should clear up the more you guys work with eachother. Also, don't be afraid to show more personality. A lot of times I feel you guys are forcing yourselves to be unbiased and are regurgitating news without voicing a distinct opinion on it. 1upyours is great because of the way the personalities come out and grind and mesh.

Overall, I enjoyed it. I don't have headphones at work and my coworkers like to listen in on my gaming podcasts. I did feel a bit emberassed when you guys whipped out the instruments though...

With some time and practice, it could rival 1upyours. I also listen to CAGcast on a regular basis. I don't know how CheapyD mixes it, but it sounds like Cheapy and Wombat are in the same studio, even though they are in Japan and New York respectively.

PLEASE make this a regular thing. It really will improve and could be invaluable when it comes to coverage of events and such.

awesome podcasts guys....I really enjoyed it alot and this is now one of my favs :D

I already kind of appreciate this Podcast more than 1up Yours for one reason

....ego

Is it just me or the last few 1up yours show been, well kinda egocentric in some instances.

Mostly just regulated to Shane I guess.....

and yes DCharlie, talk more!

.....and don't sound so nervous :D

DCharlie

Very exciting because I was getting tired of ****ing with my volume everytime someone different would talk. DCharlie and Sp0rks were like twice as loud as Kobun

lol - now we have the reverse problem from last time (me and sporks were too low!) ha ha

Hyoushi

jedimike said:
Very exciting because I was getting tired of ****ing with my volume everytime someone different would talk. DCharlie and Sp0rks were like twice as loud as Kobun. It was that way through my MP3 player and also my speakers at the office, so I know it wasn't my gear.
Weird, I listened through it so many times... Kobun was actually the loudest one in the source files, maybe I toned him down too much. Amplitude-wise they are all the same, but I guess DC and sp0rsk have more bass in their signals. I'll EQ them better next time.

DCharlie

I didn't have any volume probs w/ this ep.
same here - and Hyou did a fine first stab in my opinion.

Anyone who loves Paradroid like it's a hot sexy man love slave like Hyou really can do no wrong in my eyes <3 <3 <3

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I agree with a lot of what jedimike said. I think a fourth person would help liven things up a bit until the banter flows a little more casually.

Not to criticize Chris but I think the problem with his voice has to do with its pitch, which makes it seem louder and harsher than Justin or Dave's more soft-spoken tones. Maybe just back off the mic a bit, Chris.

And stop trying to "temper" your opinions for the sake of seeming balanced.

DCharlie

Not to criticize Chris but I think the problem with his voice has to do with its pitch, which makes it seem louder and harsher than Justin or Dave's more soft-spoken tones. Maybe just back off the mic a bit, Chris.

maybe me and Justin can get a bit more agro or pitchy next time? With Kohler literally within spitting distance in just over a week, perhaps we'll be reduced to a screaming wave of abuse? :)

And stop trying to "temper" your opinions for the sake of seeming balanced.

i said it before and i'll say it again, i don't think there is any tempering going on - there is a difference between "DCharlie" and Dave - and i'm sure Kohler/Justin aren't really "Kobun" and "Sporsks" all the time.

I'm actually quite a large Sony slut, fact is stranger than fiction.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Actually, Justin seemed like his normal self, for the most part. It was you and Kobun that seemed to be holding back at multiple points and I still haven't listened to the final 1/3rd of the show.

I'm not saying "be DCharlie and Kobun Heat" but what I heard in the show were several instances where you each basically said, "I'm going to temper my opinion." I'd just like to hear what your unfiltered opinion is whether or not it differs from what your GAF persona would say.

The show itself started off pretty rough; I don't think it would be unfair to call it "Kobun & Friends" but there was a bit more balance towards the end. I know sporsk and DCharlie are doing their best but it seemed quite often like Kobun was trying to find ways to elicit reactions after too many moments of dead silence. An argument for a fourth guy, I guess, although I'd half say that just because Kobun's voice is much more commanding and he could use a similar counterpoint.

How have recent announcements changed your November plans?

This may be a bit of an unusual opinion...but recent announcements have only strengthened my resolve as far as getting PS3 and Wii launch systems. The Wii has a fair canadian pricetag and two games I'm willing to buy at day one in Twilight Princess and Trauma Center (difficulty fixed edition!)

The PS3...well, with any luck the price tag is just high enough that I can get one without fighting Bishoptl or other downtown Gaffers in some sort of real life King of Iron Fist tourney. Resistance, well...I'm not sure about that. But I'm all over Ridge Racer 7, VF5 is going to be on the way eventually, and I have this new HDTV that's just begging for the PS3's upconversion mode for older games. Not buying at launch almost seems like procrastination...

DCharlie

I know sporsk and DCharlie are doing their best but it seemed quite often like Kobun was trying to find ways to elicit reactions after too many moments of dead silence. An argument for a fourth guy, I guess, although I'd half say that just because Kobun's voice is much more commanding and he could use a similar counterpoint.

i think the balance worked a bit better in past episodes when i wasn't 1) running on limited sleep 2) had actually found time to play games and not work.

Kobun is definitely the "daddy" though ! he was just on a roll this week.

Next time we'll be able to physically abuse him, so it'll be interesting to see how that works out.

cvxfreak

How have recent announcements changed your November plans?

I won't be able to get a PS3 like I previously was going to make a conscious effort to do (i.e. reserving and paying off). Then again, even if the PS3 were readily available, I didn't forsee the Wii coming as late as the 19th and I'm more excited about that, so that is what my attention would turn to either way.

So basically I won't have a BD player this year, and am going for the 360's HD-DVD add-on. I'll of course get a Wii and a few of its games, and without a PS3 I'll save a ton of cash and get one within a few months.

Pikelet

This keeps getting better, i enjoyed as much as 1upyours this week thanks in no small part to the awesome skits :) Keep it up guys!

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
imastalker co. said:
new one tonight/tomorrow?

There would have been a new one yesterday, but we uh, ran into some difficulties while filming, expect a new one this weekend earlier than usual and in video form for TGS.

I caught up on GAFcast today, listening to all three episodes from iTunes. You guys are doing a great job and are keeping it engaging and hilarious for the most part. Chris obviously steals the show with his songs and general insanity, but I'd expect no less having known him for a few years now. I want...no, NEED more Real GAF Heroes.

Also, I'd love to be a guest contributor sometime. I have podcast experience from Radio Free Nintendo (including the new episode going up this week all about Wii Preview).

And I challenge sp0rsk to a harmonica-off!

DCharlie

i'm excited about the video cast actually - especially with TGS potentially being incredibly exciting this year.

Gigglepoo

I don't want to be pushy but... is there a new one coming soon? I do nothing at work but listen to internet radio / Podcasts and, after listening to all the big gaming podcasts out there, I have to give GAFcast #3 the All Time Best Podcast award. Think there will be a new one this week? With some Real GAF Heroes? Come on, help a guy out.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
TGS video gafcast was recorded. It's in post. Don't worry, your fix is coming ;b

Gigglepoo

EviLore said:
TGS video gafcast was recorded. It's in post. Don't worry, your fix is coming ;b

Fantastic

Does this mean we can expect one next week too? Can't talk about TGS and ingore X06, can you? :D

Top Bottom