• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAFer is data mining through No Man's Sky (PC)

Haemi

Were the names of the galaxies already found? They don't have procedural names, so there must be a list of names. And maybe there is another ending when you arrived at the end of the list? Just hoping there is more than what happens when you get to the center.

Z3M0G

UPDATE #2
Hugo released his model viewer and extractor now. Go check it out if you are interested in taking a closer look as well: https://github.com/HugoPeters/NMS-Tools

UPDATE #1

Nice binary text:

56F7Ne8.png

ORIGINAL OP
A good friend of mine and GAFer as of recent Hugo Peters extracted all the game data from No Man's Sky Steam build and is digging through them right now in hopes to find the top secret multiplayer branch, more Hillary mails, Half Life 3 or just the typical left over test assets that make you scratch your head.
The game uses PS4 libraries and compression for its stuff which is a quite interesting way of doing things on a PC release.

Some of the discoveries he has made so far

The list of locations displayed during the intro cinematic is stored in a plain list:

98feUCt.png

There is in fact a Half Life 2 logo in the game for some mysterious "Testing" reason:

FdStdWw.png

Hello Games uses Havoc for its physics and the license included also entitles them to develop for Xbone (big surprise here):

AOMBDcH.png

There is an actual Poop effect in the game:

4UO1QCF.png

The shaders are not pre-compiled and source code is included. Some of the prototyping work on NMS seemingly already began in 2008 or maybe that's just part of their engine also used on Joe Danger:

xyNPw0L.png

We do know that NMS was a long time in development though which is supported by prototyping materials still in the final release done on PS3, 360 and Orbis (later PS4):

HI4wHh4.png

More demo assets left on the disc:

vofv2VP.png

This could be the player character, an easter egg or another dream never realized:

bxoLSPw.png

cOO72sr.png

FnDEOas.png

uysl9g3.png

Helmet texture:

2LtiCOd.png

This seems to be the player's backpack:

C3nGgjZ.png

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDG3visCxlk

Assets from the E3 2015 demo are still in there and its contents hint at a rather scripted nature of the demo (which makes some sense):

X7rJINc.png

Some of the assets found in the demo folder:

gJGFPf7.png

ORWZlhK.png

BkT5SZu.png

O0fJ0r1.png

E3 Trex:

NZR9Cse.png

E3 Walker:

SdEkBDj.png

And this thing called "Space Grave":

Fl5U6Nd.png

Hugo has a bit of experience in reversing game file formats and did a hobby project in which he made a semi PC port of the engine used by Quantic Dream and even got as far as figuring out their custom model formats, lua scripting, cutscenes / user interaction, etc. He plans to release some of his tools (including the model viewer) once it has been a bit cleaned up so others can take a look at the game as well and maybe it shapes the way for future modding.

This thread contains and will probably soon contain more speculation, so take everything with a grain of salt as usual.

PS: Big surprise, no mentions of Multiplayer could be found so far in any of the files or folders.

https for those of us less fortunate

sandkiller

Curious if someone did data mining on the 1.04 patch, in case they sneaked in some enhancements together with bug fixes ;)

I see people talking about, where's the multiplayer, what happened to it, was it planned and removed or never there etc ... But as far as I recall the most that was ever talked about was that it was theoretically possible (if hugely unlikely) for players to be in the same place, but there wouldn't be anything to do together or any way of interacting beyond just being there. The guy went out of his way to avoid suggesting anything more from what I read. I just want to be clear whether that's what were discussing - the highly remote and seemingly unrewarding possibility of co-instancing - rather than anything I would actually class as multiplayer, which I would define as a discrete game mode designed to bring players together and place them in competitive or cooperative roles.

Whether the universe is in any way shared would be a legit question, but I don't think describing the feature as multiplayer really helps the matter.

naikrovek

Unity uses PhysX, but NMS uses Havok.

Partially correct. NMS does use Havok for physics. Unity does not use PhysX, as PhysX is Nvidia-only, and Unity is not.

No Man's Sky uses OpenGL (wrapped by OpenTK, I'm pretty sure) as a graphical engine, and what appears to be a lot of homegrown Hello Games internal tooling for the rest of what most would consider the game development toolset, based on what I've seen of the downloaded game files.

I see people talking about, where's the multiplayer, what happened to it, was it planned and removed or never there etc ... But as far as I recall the most that was ever talked about was that it was theoretically possible (if hugely unlikely) for players to be in the same place, but there wouldn't be anything to do together or any way of interacting beyond just being there. The guy went out of his way to avoid suggesting anything more from what I read. I just want to be clear whether that's what were discussing - the highly remote and seemingly unrewarding possibility of co-instancing - rather than anything I would actually class as multiplayer, which I would define as a discrete game mode designed to bring players together and place them in competitive or cooperative roles.

Whether the universe is in any way shared would be a legit question, but I don't think describing the feature as multiplayer really helps the matter.

Well, that's wrong, because he states time and time again that you can not only see your friends, you can also "grief" them and play with them. So,even on the last point, you should be able to see what your friends do in a persistent game world, which isn't in.

You can scope a bunch of videos already online if you need further proof of him being upfront about interactions with other people, however rare it may be.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Partially correct. NMS does use Havok for physics. Unity does not use PhysX, as PhysX is Nvidia-only, and Unity is not.

PhysX being Nvidia-exclusive is a somewhat common misconception. Hardware-accelerated PhysX is effectively Nvidia-exclusive as offloading the task to the CPU results in a massive performance hit, but PhysX also exists as a pure software solution not unlike Havok, supporting consoles and mobile in addition to the PC.

sandkiller

Were the names of the galaxies already found? They don't have procedural names, so there must be a list of names. And maybe there is another ending when you arrived at the end of the list? Just hoping there is more than what happens when you get to the center.

Curious as well!

Top Bottom