• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAFer is data mining through No Man's Sky (PC)

diaspora

When you die, you leave behind a "grave" which you need to seek out upon respawning to get your stuff back. Perhaps you can only find the graves of people who have died and didn't retrieve their things? I wonder if the intitial two players that did this test tried that.

Wait is this actually possible?

Yes

Blam

Yeah modding is going to be very very easy. It's as simple as making your own .pak and throwing it into your folders.

........wait

So then there it is!

Shouldn't the whole multiplayer brouhaha be quelled then? You don't technically "see" other players, but you can see where they died and what they had on them at the time. Seeing the contents of their inventory and where they specifically perished seems to paint a picture of their character and the story of how they were killed. Sure, it's not like you and a buddy will be able to go on a raid, or go planet hopping together. But in a mysterious, non-traditional way, wouldn't this indirectly count as multiplayer?

Why isn't this a bigger deal in the relevant threads?

Katori

I don't know you're gonna have to ask them.

It's unlikely to be Unity based on my experience as a Unity dev. These don't look like Unity folder structures and I don't think the engine is written in .NET.

Also, porting Havok to Unity sounds like a nightmare and more trouble than it's worth.

What "GameSpot videos" are you talking about where it shows Unity? Just curious.

diaspora

........wait

So then there it is!

Shouldn't the whole multiplayer brouhaha be quelled then? You don't technically "see" other players, but you can see where they died and what they had on them at the time. Seeing the contents of their inventory and where they specifically perished seems to paint a picture of their character and the story of how they were killed. Sure, it's not like you and a buddy will be able to go on a raid, or go planet hopping together. But in a mysterious, non-traditional way, wouldn't this indirectly count as multiplayer?

People wanted to journey together despite nobody saying that was a thing. So...

theultimo

It's unlikely to be Unity based on my experience as a Unity dev. These don't look like Unity folder structures and I don't think the engine is written in .NET.

Also, porting Havok to Unity sounds like a nightmare and more trouble than it's worth.

What "GameSpot videos" are you talking about where it shows Unity? Just curious.
Yeah its def not Unity, it would be my guess as someone said Phyreengine.

Edit: looking through the source of Phyreengine, its definitely it, albeit modified. Considering Journey used the same engine as its base, possibly where his comments have some possible merit as it has been done before.

MisterR

........wait

So then there it is!

Because despite the developers going out of their way to stress this was a single player experience, several people apparently bought the game with the expectation that they could meet up with their buddies and fly through the universe together. So the developers have lied to them.

CryptiK

........wait

So then there it is!

No because multiple things were mentioned when saying that there was more. Im also pretty sure he said you wouldnt know what you looked like til you met another player.

Because despite the developers going out of their way to stress this was a single player experience, several people apparently bought the game with the expectation that they could meet up with their buddies and fly through the universe together. So the developers have lied to them.

Thats extremely incorrect.

People wanted to journey together despite nobody saying that was a thing. So...

Goddamn, are you kidding me?

So people wanted a Destiny-buddy experience in NMS's near-infinite universe? When something of that scale was never, ever hinted at?

If anything like that was even remotely possible then it would have been bullet point number two for this game. It seems like Sean's vague hinting at this gravesite feature enabled people's imaginations to run rampant, expecting a hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy style of game at their fingertips.

I'm not saying that it wouldn't be cool, but I think the people angry about this share some of the blame themselves. What a clusterfuck.

I realize this is veering into off-topic multiplayer talk, but I just needed to react to this info. Apologies.

No because multiple things were mentioned when saying that there was more. Im also pretty sure he said you wouldnt know what you looked like til you met another player.

Thats extremely incorrect.

That's a huge understatement lol.

He even said that other players could shoot at you even though it would be rare.

KingV

........wait

So then there it is!

There was a bunch of stuff where he talks about a mobile lobby that follows you around, that can support more than two players, and works kind of like Watchdogs. It was in the game informer interview from the cover issue, I think.

I do agree that what you have described is likely what the multiplayer actually "is" though.

CryptiK

That's a huge understatement lol.
Well look at a majority of posts on here in regards to it. A lot of people were expecting a chance to meet another person not a buddy. But that apparently was never a thing, even though it was said multiple times and the dev even commented on how amazing it was that two people managed to meet each other, when they couldn't even see each other.

Justified

........wait

So then there it is!

I dont think it is possible.

Well look at a majority of posts on here in regards to it. A lot of people were expecting a chance to meet another person not a buddy. But that apparently was never a thing, even though it was said multiple times and the dev even commented on how amazing it was that two people managed to meet each other, when they couldn't even see each other.

Yeah, I am agreeing with you. It really seems to me that anyone saying that he didn't say these things about multiplayer being a part of the game just haven't seen the evidence. Which would be ok if it weren't for them basically calling a whole group of peoples point of view ridiculous. At least examine the flipping evidence.

Blam

http://www.gamespot.com/videos/embed/6420148/

7XGvnLQ.png

Aces&Eights

NMS threads have been a little too calm and civil lately. What we need is Sean to announce NMS as a Scorpio launch title with 1 year exclusive MP agreement. Full on lobbies, death match, the whole shebang. That should breathe some life into the threads.

Fisty

NMS threads have been a little too calm and civil lately. What we need is Sean to announce NMS as a Scorpio launch title with 1 year exclusive MP agreement. Full on lobbies, death match, the whole shebang. That should breathe some life into the threads.

Give me a way to gamble for NMS skins on a third-party site and I'll be there day one

Putosaure

I just wish that data mining and peeking into the source code won't lead to tools that allow massive cheat, like sending fake data to servers and so. That will ruin the overall interest of the game...

Blam

I just wish that data mining and peeking into the source code won't lead to tools that allow massive cheat, like sending fake data to servers and so. That will ruin the overall interest of the game...

Those won't do anything. Too many planets to matter.

dity

........wait

So then there it is!

This is a stretch.

Grief.exe

is it possible with this data mining that a mod could be made to get the game to actually run at 1080p and not 720p upscaled to 1080p?

Wait, what?? *runs away to google this

Wait what? It doesn't run at the resolution selected on PC?

While the game has soft image quality due to chromatic aberration and a filter, the game does render at the resolution specified. People are running the game at 8K without the effects and the image is perfect.

They tried to see each other in the game, can't people see graves and named planets though?

You can see other people's named planets. And I guess graves, although that's the first time I've heard of that.

But it seems like the actual interactions beyond seeing a point of death aren't in the game.

Tahnit

Banned
While the game has soft image quality due to chromatic aberration and a filter, the game does render at the resolution specified. People are running the game at 8K without the effects and the image is perfect.

This isn't a filter. it is definitely upscaling. Looks just like another game at 720p upscaled to 1080p.

Count the pixels. It doesnt match up with 1080p at all.

I am hearing the experimental patch fixes this via digital foundry.

samn

Goddamn, are you kidding me?

So people wanted a Destiny-buddy experience in NMS's near-infinite universe? When something of that scale was never, ever hinted at?

If anything like that was even remotely possible then it would have been bullet point number two for this game. It seems like Sean's vague hinting at this gravesite feature enabled people's imaginations to run rampant, expecting a hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy style of game at their fingertips.

I'm not saying that it wouldn't be cool, but I think the people angry about this share some of the blame themselves. What a clusterfuck.

I realize this is veering into off-topic multiplayer talk, but I just needed to react to this info. Apologies.

It's absolutely technically possible.

GTA does it across a huge map by having each player just do the rendering and calculations for the area immediately around them. You only need to do the state for the area immediately surrounding each player, rendered on their own machines.

The size of the map doesn't really make any difference.

diaspora

This isn't a filter. it is definitely upscaling. Looks just like another game at 720p upscaled to 1080p.

Count the pixels. It doesnt match up with 1080p at all.

I am hearing the experimental patch fixes this via digital foundry.

Yeah, no, it's not upscaling. Feel free to count the pixels in my 4k screenshots though.

Vesper73

Please take this all with a huge grain of salt:

I've been going through this data and it seems there is a chance that the Dune style sand worms could still be in the game.

If you look under the FlyingSnake species you'll find a material called SANDWORM_MAT.MATERIAL. There is also a BODY_WORM.ENTITY file..

Also, there is a DUSTPARTICLEMAT.MATERIAL in the SNAKEEMERGE folder, which means sand worms could be just a type of flying snake that has it Z location partially below the ground so that in effect it 'flies/clips' through the sand, which in turn may cause rock / dust effects when it emerges from the sand (which would match what it looks like from the trailer).

Again, huge grain of salt. I don't have any tools for yet for viewing the materials, etc.

If anyone wants to investigate further, I'd be very interested.

Edit: Wow, if you do a search all on SANDWORM you return everything about them. Don't look if you don't want it spoiled, as you can see their textures, bones, etc.

Also, it appears that an Eel is a type of water flying snake, and sand worm is a sand flying snake.

Yeah... I'm not sure how anyone with a shred of common sense honestly believed this was an MMO... With no subscription... With no PS+ requirement... Made by a small team...

They were certainly never told it was..

Please take this all with a huge grain of salt:

I've been going through this data and it seems there is a chance that the Dune style sand worms could still be in the game.

If you look under the FlyingSnake species you'll find a material called SANDWORM_MAT.MATERIAL. There is also a BODY_WORM.ENTITY file..

Also, there is a DUSTPARTICLEMAT.MATERIAL in the SNAKEEMERGE folder, which means sand worms could be just a type of flying snake that has it Z location partially below the ground so that in effect it 'flies/clips' through the sand, which in turn may cause rock / dust effects when it emerges from the sand (which would match what it looks like from the trailer).

Again, huge grain of salt. I don't have any tools for yet for viewing the materials, etc.

If anyone wants to investigate further, I'd be very interested.

Edit: Wow, if you do a search all on SANDWORM you return everything about them. Don't look if you don't want it spoiled. Seems almost confirmed at this point.

They could just as easily tell the game to pull data from the e3 files under certain circumstances as well. With a game like this, just because our small group hasn't seen something yet doesn't mean it isn't possible.

Vesper73

Yeah... I'm not sure how anyone with a shred of common sense honestly believed this was an MMO... With no subscription... With no PS+ requirement... Made by a small team...

They could just as easily tell the game to pull data from the e3 files under certain circumstances as well. With a game like this, just because our small group hasn't seen something yet doesn't mean it isn't possible.

If you go check my update you'll see that if you do a search on SANDWORM, you'll see all the textures, bones, materials, skins, strips, etc. It actually kind of spoils it now. They definitely appear in the game with all of the associated files. Don't look if you don't want to see what they look like yet.

I sort of regret even looking for them now.

You'll probably find them in later star systems (the ones reached with the Theta Hyperdrive.

Sandworms seem to be a type of sand flying snake, whereas the eel appears to be a type of water flying snake.

He didn't say MMO. He said multiplayer. Journey works without PS+, and small teams are not foreign to making online multiplayer experiences.

That's not even mention how the developers said there'd be interactions with other players.

Seiniyta

Hmm, I hope it'll be possible to add in variable gravities on planets. Something which I feel the base game is lacking.

Moreche

If you go check my update you'll see that if you do a search on SANDWORM, you'll see all the textures, bones, materials, skins, strips, etc. It actually kind of spoils it now. They definitely appear in the game with all of the associated files. Don't look if you don't want to see what they look like yet.

I sort of regret even looking for them now.
Where can I see your update?

KoopaTheCasual

People make the weirdest strawman arguments, to push their points... No one is asking for a massive MMO. People wanted the slim chance of seeing another character (like Journey/DS/etc) in game. It adds to the wonder and discovery. That feature, after all this digging through files, still doesn't seem to exist, even though it was stated, numerous times by Sean, to exist.

It's not that hard to understand.

It's absolutely technically possible.

GTA does it across a huge map by having each player just do the rendering and calculations for the area immediately around them. You only need to do the state for the area immediately surrounding each player, rendered on their own machines.

The size of the map doesn't really make any difference.

Sure it's technically possible, but when was planet hopping with a buddy promised?

I will concede his vocabulary in describing someone you meet implies you can travel together. But if they don't advertise being able to run around with a pal (which would be a massive feature and a huge draw!) then it must not be possible. You also make it sound as easy as flipping a switch, to add this type of multiplayer. If it was this feasible, I think they would have tried it.
If you want to see all the available files in the PAKs of NMS, here is a full list: http://pastebin.com/5YDGAat3

Might help when trying to find things like the sandworm mentioned previously.

I'm glad this will shut up the "BUT WHERE ARE THE GIANT CREATURES, THE TRAILER BENGHAZI HILLARY LIEEDDDDDD" sect.

Sure it's technically possible, but when was planet hopping with a buddy promised?

I will concede his vocabulary in describing someone you meet implies you can travel together. But if they don't advertise being able to run around with a pal (which would be a massive feature and a huge draw!) then it must not be possible. You also make it sound as easy as flipping a switch, to add this type of multiplayer. If it was this feasible, I think they would have tried it.

I'm glad this will shut up the "BUT WHERE ARE THE GIANT CREATURES, THE TRAILER BENGHAZI HILLARY LIEEDDDDDD" sect.

I really don't want to get into this again, but here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE0nuW-mQ8A

There's a bunch more interviews here he flat out states you can meet up with your friends, but the chances of that are extremely rare. You can google the rest if you want.

Back on track, it's not so easy to add multiplayer into a game not even built for it. I don't think anyone is implying that, but at most it'll have to be small, simple things based on coding and not straight up interactions as promised.

The JC3 people did a wonderful job, though, so who knows if modders can't do the same.

Parham

Banned
Developers use placeholder assets all of the time during development. I can't say with absolute certainty that's the case here, but the actual reason why this content exists is usually pretty boring and straight forward.

Top Bottom