• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gal Gadot to Play Wonder Woman in ‘Batman vs. Superman’

Status
Not open for further replies.

strafer

tom-hardy-myspace-before-warrior-after.jpg

buwhahahahahahahahahahaha

tauriel2qqseg.gif

jelly

I doubt she will add on the bulk anything close to resembling the comic idea of Wonder Women. No actress would ever attempt to do that and women aren't so easily bulked up like men can be nor would they want to, actress be damned. She will be reasonably athletic with a little more meat on her and her height is a plus, expecting anything else is dreaming. The costume will do the rest. The more pressing issue is her complete lack of charisma and good acting. Fair to say she hasn't done a lot so who knows but history doesn't look good. Lastly, they have all be in the friggin IDF, means nothing.

Batman and Superman should never fist fight. Like really. I get that people want to believe Batman has a chance because he's cool and all, but one regular man fighting Superman is like one man fighting two million fucking people at once.

More like 1 man with a bag of thermite against the Gustav Gun. Its not hard to show those two going at each other in a believable way when theres weaknesses to exploit. Supermans major thorn in the ass is a mortal man after all.

Source? I may have missed something, but I haven't seen a quote that suggests any real enthusiasm for the prospect.

The head of DC Entertainment listed it as one of the top things she + Warner Bros. wanted to do:

THR: There have been a few attempts at bringing Wonder Woman to the screen -- the Joss Whedon feature that was canceled in 2007, David E. Kelley's 2011 TV pilot -- but nothing has stuck.

Nelson: We have to get her right, we have to. She is such an icon for both genders and all ages and for people who love the original TV show and people who read the comics now. I think one of the biggest challenges at the company is getting that right on any size screen. The reasons why are probably pretty subjective: She doesn't have the single, clear, compelling story that everyone knows and recognizes. There are lots of facets to Wonder Woman, and I think the key is, how do you get the right facet for that right medium? What you do in TV has to be different than what you do in features. She has been, since I started, one of the top three priorities for DC and for Warner Bros. We are still trying right now, but she's tricky.

I think all the Gadot hate is getting a little ridiculous. Then again, this almost happens everytime. All I need her to do is be able to throw a punch. I think she can handle it.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
People like to talk about and post pics of Male actors before and after photos, but I rarely see any female actresses before and after photos. Could someone hook that up please? I think it would be nice to see in here if they exist.

The only one that even comes to mind is Linda Hamilton's transformation from T1 to T2. And that was like 6 years in the making....

I think the likelihood of her putting on muscle or just a few more pounds are extremely unlikely. In fact, I think the likelihood of her losing weight is more probable.

They (hollywood) want something marketable. Muscle bound voluptuous women are not marketable in the eyes of hollywood. Skinny super models are. That's just the way it is.

Is saying "Gal Gadot is too skinny to play Wonder Woman" really body shaming? That's attacking how she looks compared to a perceived role.

Granted, there is a lot of real body shaming going on in here as well. People saying she has no tits, no ass, is so skinny she looks gross, etc.

Is saying "Gal Gadot is too skinny to play Wonder Woman" really body shaming? That's attacking how she looks compared to a perceived role.

Granted, there is a lot of real body shaming going on in here as well. People saying she has no tits, no ass, is so skinny she looks gross, etc.

I think you answered your own question. at least in this topic.

MoS Superman is nowhere near as powerful as the one in comics though.

disagree, he fought multiple Kryptonians and destroyed a machine that was powered by "kryptonite" basically and still managed to beat them all. all in his first day. that's not pre-crisis levels where he could turn back time, but it is equal to current comics.

*Yawn* Stupid, ignorant blog post and the equivalent of claiming someone racist because people complain that the actor/actress cast in a role that goes against the source material's designated race for that character or that there are plenty of choices that are a better fit with the traditional appearance of the character, including many that come from around the Mediterranean region as Gadot does (Israel touches the Mediterranean sea, I'm counting it) though they would have had to audition and had a firm grasp of the English language. There would be a bit less complaining if she was at least a talented actress, even the other horrible WW choice that was Adrianne Palicki was better, if just marginally. Complaining an established character doesn't at all fit the standard appearance of said character is no more body shaming than it is when people do the same thing with male characters. If Gadot can put on the 20 pounds (not just muscle) she needs to add and has taken some acting lessons (though I doubt she'll have more than two minutes worth of dialog) I'll give her all the props in the world.

Also they need to stop bringing up her IDF time as if it's some great notable feat. It's basically the equivalent of the U.S. Army Reserve except pretty much mandatory.

tom-hardy-myspace-before-warrior-after.jpg

buwhahahahahahahahahahaha

Like already said, it's a lot easier for men to bulk up and slim down than it is for women. Gadot is apparently around 110 pounds normally, if she can put on 20 and be in the right shape for the part she should get respect just for that.

Ratrat

People like to talk about and post pics of Male actors before and after photos, but I rarely see any female actresses before and after photos. Could someone hook that up please? I think it would be nice to see in here if they exist.

The only one that even comes to mind is Linda Hamilton's transformation from T1 to T2. And that was like 6 years in the making....

I think the likelihood of her putting on muscle or just a few more pounds are extremely unlikely. In fact, I think the likelihood of her losing weight is more probable.

They (hollywood) want something marketable. Muscle bound voluptuous women are not marketable in the eyes of hollywood. Skinny super models are. That's just the way it is.
Portman lost 20lbs for Black Swan and Charlize Theron gained 30lbs for Monster. It at least shows that actresses are willing to go through extreme weight change.

Portman lost 20lbs for Black Swan and Charlize Theron gained 30lbs for Monster. It at least shows that actresses are willing to go through extreme weight change.

Yeah, it's a little difficult to point out because it's not as if there have been lots of female action stars where they had to look like Gods, as opposed to the dozens of males that have had to do so. Jennifer Lawrence can be a female action star, but look like a "regular" attractive girl in her early to mid 20's.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
More like 1 man with a bag of thermite against the Gustav Gun. Its not hard to show those two going at each other in a believable way when theres weaknesses to exploit. Supermans major thorn in the ass is a mortal man after all.

The reason Luthor is such a problem for Superman is precisely because he's not stupid enough to engage him physically.99% of the time

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
There's a plethora of examples of women in hollywood gaining and losing weight for roles, true. But I'm still waiting for some examples of women gaining noticeable muscle mass/bulk for a role though.

Linda Hamilton in Terminator is still all I can think of. Somebody fucking help me out here already.

I don't think a girl has to be built like China from WWF to be Wonder Woman and shit by the way. Lucy lawless in her prime would have been perfect as WW and she wasn't bulky at all. But she sure as shit wasn't channeling no run way model either... there needs to be a middle ground. Gal Gadot, as she is now, is no middle ground.

Subitai

Well, at least she is dialed in and hitting gym appropriately (she is tall for a woman so that makes it harder too). As far as being too skinny in the bust/butt, that stuff can be padded up, the hard part is the actual muscle in the arms/legs. In any case, I'm sure she'll get the appearance close enough and look completely convincing zooming around the sky w/ Cavill. That isn't as important as nailing the role, which I'm still much less optimistic about. I still wish I could see her audition to see why she was chosen.

In terms of the film, the bigger problem is still going to be the story and writing.

There's a plethora of examples of women in hollywood gaining and losing weight for roles, true. But I'm still waiting for some examples of women gaining noticeable muscle mass/bulk for a role though.

Linda Hamilton in Terminator is still all I can think of. Somebody fucking help me out here already.

I don't think a girl has to be built like China from WWF to be Wonder Woman and shit by the way. Lucy lawless in her prime would have been perfect as WW and she wasn't bulky at all. But she sure as shit wasn't channeling no run way model either... there needs to be a middle ground. Gal Gadot, as she is now, is no middle ground.

Agreed on Lawless, she probably would have responded really well to the training too without having to actually put on much in terms of extra weight because she already had the right body type for it.

Hell, Megan Gale who was cast in 2008 as Wonder Woman for the Justice League movie that failed to get off the ground was almost perfect for it in terms of looks and physical "stats".

Mariolee

Hell, Megan Gale who was cast in 2008 as Wonder Woman for the Justice League movie that failed to get off the ground was almost perfect for it in terms of looks and physical "stats".

Wow, never even heard of her. She has the looks, but can she act well? Then again, I don't know about Gadot's acting skills either.

jaxword

Superman; Listen Lois. I know that you think Batman is hot shit. Well he's not.
Lois Lane: You're yesterday's news Superman and I only got eyes for the Dark Knight of Gotham City now Superman.
Superman: Holy crap, Lois!

Sure, there was a thread on GAF about it actually: http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?p=85257823

Basically WB wants a WW thing to happen (TV or cinema) but they can't seem to get anyone to do it right.

As quoted by THR, Tsujihara spoke only about live-action WW in general, not specifically a solo project.

...and pretty much the same deal here.

Ratrat

Hilary Swank?

it's a shame Gina Carano can barely act, she'd make a pretty awesome Wonder Woman

Most women who would be a "awesome WW" can't make it on their acting skills and I would say most leading Super Hero actors aren't really "great actors" at all.

I think the key is to find an awesome WW who can just act as them self because of the way the character is written in the film. Like how you can find rappers making movies where they preform it so well because they're just acting as themself ... like 8 Mile.

It's not that hard, you don't need a great actor to pull off a damn comic book hero role ... you need the right story and writing to pull it off. In a world where WB didn't have their heads stuck up their assholes with this obsession with making cape flicks that are all "SHUT UP, this is super srly guys!" then maybe we could have a WW that's handled more like a Marvel Movie where it doesn't take it's self too seriously and you can have an actor play in a movie where it's not all realistic or grim. Actors who don't have to look like smug assholes through out the movie (MoS) or talk like they have some kind of voice problem caused from years of chain smoking to hide the fact that it's a damn comic book movie.

But we don't live in that world. :/
To me WW would be great if handled like Thor ... where all you really need is a person who looks the part and can play a beefy, hammy character thrown into a new and interesting culture.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Hilary Swank?

I can't believe people keep forgetting about Demi Moore.

dd4xkGg.jpg

There's also Jessica Biel, who got MAD BUFF for Blade 3. Like, actually Amazonian. As far as I'm concerned she had the perfect WW's physique. Imposing as fuck, but still very feminine.

In any case, it should be mentioned that most of those actresses were no strangers to the gym before getting their roles, so they were kind of half there; they just had to push themselves further. Biel in particular has always been a very fit lady.

then maybe we could have a WW that's handled more like a Marvel Movie where it doesn't take it's self too seriously and you can have an actor play in a movie where it's not all realistic or grim

But we don't live in that world. :/

Good. I'm hoping Wonder Woman's first flick isn't the mediocre mess the majority of Marvel movies have been.

Every time I pop in here I expect pictures of Gal Godot. Instead I come back in here and see the same arguing and bickering from the first page. Goddamn it.

Good. I'm hoping Wonder Woman's first flick isn't the mediocre mess the majority of Marvel movies have been.

Since the vast majority of the world and critics disagree with you, have fun on your island with no fun. DC could only hope to have as much critical and commercial success with Wonder Woman as Marvel will likely have with Guardians of the Galaxy.

The thing with Bale and Hardy is that both of them have "transformed" their bodies on more than one occasion before being cast. I think a much, much better example would be Christopher Reeve who before being cast in Superman was a skinny, brownish haired man with alopecia. He had the height though and bulked up like crazy and continued to do so over the years. But he also had the acting chops despite limited film/TV work due to his back ground. As much as I was and still enjoy Keaton's work it never sat well with me as Batman, even as a kid in 1989, not because of his height but because he just wasn't at all believable. Finding out later that his stunt double had more screen time as Batman than he did kind of cemented my feelings on it. Then again, I didn't like Jack Nicholson's Joker either, I think Keaton could've done that part better.

Wow, never even heard of her. She has the looks, but can she act well? Then again, I don't know about Gadot's acting skills either.

That was the big question and nearly six years later I still have no idea, all these years later and she still has a very short resume of four acting roles, one being something done in Italy with a abysmal rating on IMDB. She had a small (I guess) part in Stealth, which coincidentally starred the few posts up mentioned Jessica Biel. She has some role in the new Mad Max movie.

Mario007

Since the vast majority of the world and critics disagree with you, have fun on your island with no fun. DC could only hope to have as much critical and commercial success with Wonder Woman as Marvel will likely have with Guardians of the Galaxy.
To be fair Thor, Captain America and The Incredible Hulk were pretty damn mediocre and achieved similar scores and commercial success with IM2 being downright awful. It's not like if everything Marvel did turned to gold.

ReiGun

name one.

without people crying "HERPDERP BATMAN AND ROBIN IS AWFUL HERPDERP"
Green Lantern. Just two years ago. Movie was trash, but you can't argue it wasn't going for a more fun vibe than the Batman trilogy or MoS.

WB/DC can do fun. They've done fun. They've just had more success in recent years with the more serious style of film. And honestly, the backlash against this style is a little funny, considering that people still like the Batman flicks and for every person who declares MoS as the worst thing ever, you can find another who loves it.

Everyone is drinking the Marvel Kool-Aid so hard they can no longer fathom anyone else making superhero movies any other way. Even as someone who enjoys Marvel's movies, I can't understand that at all.

G-Fex

Green Lantern. Just two years ago. Movie was trash, but you can't argue it wasn't going for a more fun vibe than the Batman trilogy or MoS.

WB/DC can do fun. They've done fun. They've just had more success in recent years with the more serious style of film. And honestly, the backlash against this style is a little funny, considering that people still like the Batman flicks and for every person who declares MoS as the worst thing ever, you can find another who loves it.

Everyone is drinking the Marvel Kool-Aid so hard they can no longer fathom anyone else making superhero movies any other way. Even as someone who enjoys Marvel's movies, I can't understand that at all.

Just as I thought.

But I guess I can't blame you. Yes they've had more experience with serious so obviously they're going to want to make this one and the big JL movie serious.

I guess I can't deny they can possibly make a more fun movie.

Alienous

Superman; Listen Lois. I know that you think Batman is hot shit. Well he's not.
Lois Lane: You're yesterday's news Superman and I only got eyes for the Dark Knight of Gotham City now Superman.
Superman: Holy crap, Lois!

Superman: Welp, I'm gonna go have cosmic sex with Wonder Woman.

I think we've just written 80% of the film.

Tabby

I can't believe there are so many people who would want sugared Marvel vibe from DC movies too.
I for one can't stand Marvel movies.
Phase 1 movies were great but phase 2 movies are over the place, I'm all for "fun" movies but the humour and jokes are all over the place, some are forced and others ruin the pace and tone of the scene.
I'd prefer DC to have their own style, and Marvel to have their own. There's no need to have two light hearted movies.

Abounder

Banned
When it comes to females gaining weight there was Katee Sackhoff (Starbuck from Battlestar Galactica) who gained around 20 pounds of muscle and fat for the recent Riddick movie. I think there's an article saying she could curl 35 pounds with each hand.

For Gadot she'll probably be more like Uma Thurman from Kill Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom