• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamasutra's in depth tie-ratio analysis

Jocchan said:
Didn't you get the memo?
When you sell 1 million, your game becomes a non-game.
When you sell 10 millions, your game becomes shovelware.
That's how it works.

*only applies to consoles other than your favorite

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Jocchan said:
Didn't you get the memo?
That's how it works.

Hmm, that memo looks a bit too simplistic and short to be counted in the average number of memoes per household. Obviously people only get it because it's essentially a piece of paper bundled with a few sentences. The piece of paper can still be used to write down other things, such as your shopping list. Of course people are going to get that memo, duh!

jvm

Gamasutra.
Coolio McAwesome said:
I'd be interested to see numers showing how many weeks each console has been owned.
Isn't this JJS's computation? He has that stuff pretty handy, IIRC.

Karma said:
Average software sold per month.

Wii 4.17 Million
360 3.02 Million
PS3 1.69 Million
Awww man... why would you DO that? We were having such fun discussing tie ratios and you had to go and bring some context into the mix.

You're no fun >:-(

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Little Green Yoda said:
*only applies to consoles other than your favorite
Oh yeah. Sorry, I forgot to mention that.

Kilrogg said:
Hmm, that memo looks a bit too simplistic and short to be counted in the average number of memoes per household. Obviously people only get it because it's essentially a piece of paper bundled with a few sentences. The piece of paper can still be used to write down other things, such as your shopping list. Of course people are going to get that memo, duh!
Games turning into non-games when they become million sellers is an old recurring joke here on GAF (mostly in Media Create threads, though).

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Jocchan said:
Games turning into non-games when they become million sellers is an old recurring joke here on GAF (mostly in Media Create threads, though).

Wait, you thought I thought you were being serious? Man, I really suck at sarcasm :(. I didn't mean to offend you, I just took your post as an opportunity to expand on the silliness of the argument (Wii Play "unfairly" counted in the tie ratio).

border

Stumpokapow said:
Let me ask, then, why haven't Microsoft and Sony done it? It's clearly profitable.
Don't know, don't care. If they did, I'd be fine seeing those sales excluded from tie ratios as well.

Would you exclude similarly significant outliers for other consoles?
If they were similar in that they were essential accessory bundles that only barely outpriced the cost of the accessory by itself, then yes sure.

First party games do not need to be excluded because anyone can match first party prices (unless games are literally priced below the royalty rate - highly unlikely). Bundles that include non-essential accessories (EyeToy, M+, Balance Board, Classic Controller) and don't strike me as likely to produce significant outliers. If I was merely against value-oriented bundles I would suggest throwing them out, but I'm not. Now if they did something like price Wii: Sports Resort/M+ bundle at $24.99......I might kinda have to think about it.

it wasn't a pack-in in Japan and it's the most popular console game of the generation...
By what metric? Is it really fair to suggest that something that was literally given to the majority of system purchasers is the "most popular" game, or is it just an attempt to give a pompous title to a pack-in? This place has its fair share of Microsoft fanboys, yet I never see anyone claiming that Solitaire or Minesweeper is the MOST POPULAR GAME OF THE CENTURY!

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Kilrogg said:
Wait, you thought I thought you were being serious? Man, I really suck at sarcasm :(. I didn't mean to offend you, I just took your post as an opportunity to expand on the silliness of the argument (Wii Play "unfairly" counted in the tie ratio).
No, no, I got you got I wasn't serious (lol). I just thought you could have missed where the joke comes from (it's a pretty old meme, after all) ;)

border said:
By what metric?
Huh... sales, maybe? He's also talking about Japan, where the game isn't a pack-in.

Zachack

border said:
This place has its fair share of Microsoft fanboys, yet I never see anyone claiming that Solitaire or Minesweeper is the MOST POPULAR GAME OF THE CENTURY!
I did in that DS thread, but I also said a lot of other things, some of which are patent pending.

And the reason not to include pack-ins like Wii Sports is that while you can safely predict that Wii Sports would have been bought anyway, you can't safely predict if that purchase would or wouldn't have a depressing effect on purchases of other software, even if you adjusted the price.
Huh... sales, maybe? He's also talking about Japan, where the game isn't a pack-in.
I don't think I'd point to Japan as a reliable metric for western trends.

border said:
By what metric? Is it really fair to suggest that something that was literally given to the majority of system purchasers is the "most popular" game, or is it just an attempt to give a pompous title to a pack-in? This place has its fair share of Microsoft fanboys, yet I never see anyone claiming that Solitaire or Minesweeper is the MOST POPULAR GAME OF THE CENTURY!
At one point (in Japan), maybe a year after launch, Wii Sports alone had outsold every single piece of Playstation 3 software combined. It had a tie ratio of 0.5 -> 0.7, if I remember it correctly. Think about that for a minute.

Close to launch, people were claiming that Wii owners were buying the console for Wii Sports then never purchasing another piece of software for it ever again. All over the media, people were playing Wii Sports or seeing it in action, then buying the console so they could play it. Outside of Japan, we have no numerical method of determining how many did so, but the Japanese situation makes one thing clear - Wii Sports is the game that will go on to define this generation, whether one likes it or not.

Zachack said:
You're right. The Wii is only competitive in Japan right now, rather than crushingly dominant.

onipex

Karma said:
Average software sold per month.

Wii 4.17 Million
360 3.02 Million
PS3 1.69 Million

Ha Ha, I was waiting for someone to do that.

Those are very good software numbers for the 360 and Wii.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Jocchan said:
No, no, I got you got I wasn't serious (lol). I just thought you could have missed where the joke comes from (it's a pretty old meme, after all) ;)

I've been a sales-ager for a while now, so yeah, I know about that meme. That was thoughtful of you though, thanks!

@border: you won't see anyone talk about Minesweeper and Solitaire (despite everyone and their mother playing it all the time :p) because they're just one tiny feature among many other for a product that isn't intended for entertainment at its core. Wii Play gets as much visibility as the Wiimote it is packed with. Obviously paying 10 bucks more for a so-called "bonus" game means you're seeing some value in the game. You're not buying the game just because of the controller. You're buying it instead of buying a standalone controller because you think the game is worth paying that amount of money.

Also, it is strange you should talk about fanboys, as if you couldn't reasonably argue that Wii Play is relevant. For a moment, I'd think you're insinuating that Stump is "defending" Wii Play because of some bias. That's funny.

You could make the argument that the game is bought solely for the controller if standalone controllers didn't exist, and for a time they weren't readily available, but that was only in the launch window.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Zachack said:
Why are you quoting me instead of Stumpokapow, then? I was simply pointing out what he said (looking at his post, Border didn't seem to know Wii Sports wasn't a pack-in in Japan).

Gbeav said:
360 might be much higher, take off all the busted 360's in landfills and it could hit 10.
Between that one and the PS3's "bought as blu-ray player" one we can argue the tie ratio up to wherever we want it.

For instance, I heard there's actually only 500k 360 owners, but they've each had 28 360s and bought 232 games each.

Stumpokapow said:
Yes, you are correct; Wii Play is a $10 game bundled with a controller. That is why people buy it. This is not a stunning revelation. But that's not a reason not to count it. Again, using the negative term "shovelware" implies it's a low effort piece of junk that's just thrown out there. Let me ask, then, why haven't Microsoft and Sony done it? It's clearly profitable. It clearly sells. Your opinion is that it's low effort. They should be punting these things out left, right, and center.

Well, Sony did do it with the Headset and charging $10 bucks more for Socom.

border

viciouskillersquirrel said:
At one point (in Japan), maybe a year after launch, Wii Sports alone had outsold every single piece of Playstation 3 software combined. It had a tie ratio of 0.5 -> 0.7, if I remember it correctly. Think about that for a minute.
Thinking about it for a minute, it kinda helps the comparison that the 360 was a non-starter in that particular territory.

The original post that proclaimed "Most Popular Game of the Generation" had none of the caveats that were later specified ("In Japan!" "After about a year!"). Is it still the best-selling Wii game in that territory?

I don't find the arguments that Wii Sports would have sold just as well in USA/Euro, given that every other minigame collection has had to have some kind of hardware gimmick bundle to prop it up (Play, Fit, now Resort). I think the smart move was to bundle it, because people wouldn't have coughed up the dough for a $50 sports game collection.

Kilrogg said:
You could make the argument that the game is bought solely for the controller if standalone controllers didn't exist, and for a time they weren't readily available, but that was only in the launch window.
What I'm making is the argument that a "game" where only 20% of the consumer's derived value is actually a game should not count 100% towards sales ratios. I don't know why Sony and MS don't just throw in some minigame collection with memory cards, controllers, and video cables.....but I'm kinda glad they don't.

Meesh

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
At least gamers are still buying in this rough economy.

Hell...don't get me started, we'll be out of work in a week or so...it might pick up in a couple of months if we're lucky.(Bricklayer) Still haven't decided what to do, a little scabbing on the side If I can...gunna buy Excite Bots though!!!

I don't get why the quality or price of a game should determine if it counts as game software or not.

If Sony or Microsoft wants to sell a $1 copy of Halo or God of War and rake in the bucks, more power to 'em. People buy Wii Play when a controller would be $10 cheaper, so it's not like they're being tricked in to owning the software. And if they were, it still kind of counts.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
border said:
The original post that proclaimed "Most Popular Game of the Generation" had none of the caveats that were later specified ("In Japan!" "After about a year!").
Bad eyesight?
it wasn't a pack-in in Japan and it's the most popular console game of the generation...

border said:
I don't find the arguments that Wii Sports would have sold just as well in USA/Euro, given that every other minigame collection has had to have some kind of hardware gimmick bundle to prop it up (Play, Fit, now Resort). I think the smart move was to bundle it, because people wouldn't have coughed up the dough for a $50 sports game collection.
I agree, bundling a console with a $250 sports game collection has proven itself as a much better idea.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
legend166 said:
I can't believe someone is arguing that Wii Sports isn't the most popular game of the generation.

I mean honestly now.
Well, technically it's not a game anymore. It has been a non-game for a long time.

apujanata

Jocchan said:
Didn't you get the memo?
That's how it works.

Hmm. Had Halo 3 reached the shovelware status yet ? Or was it only non-game ?
I am pretty sure MGS4 haven't reached shovelware yet. Poor MGS4.
Wii sure have lots of shovelware, much more than PS3 or X360. Wii sports, Wii Play, Wii Fit, Mario Kart Wii.

:)

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
border said:
What I'm making is the argument that a "game" where only 20% of the consumer's derived value is actually a game should not count 100% towards sales ratios. I don't know why Sony and MS don't just throw in some minigame collection with memory cards, controllers, and video cables.....but I'm kinda glad they don't.

If you're willing to go that route, I can say that the 2nd Wiimote is an integral part of Wii Play's value as a game. After all, the game is designed for 2 players. Noticed how every single game in Wii Play has a 2-player mode? While no-one will ever deny that Wii Play sells as a game + an accessory, it would be disingenuous to say that it doesn't deserve to have all its sales count as software sale just because it's only a fraction of the price of the package.

Wii Play is designed to be used with that other Wiimote. They both go hand in hand to provide some 2-player fun, with the added benefit of being able to use that Wiimote for other games. So what? Is your only argument that the game shouldn't count because selling it as a standalone product would have meant less sales? Wii Play is still a game, whether you like it or not, and it can't be sold separately. That's the only way you can have it (well, that or eBay, I guess), and, again, it's still a game. You can't just say "only 20% of its sales should count" because of some arbitrary notion of value and a hypothetical scenario, even if it's likely that it would sell less in said hypothetical scenario.

Kilrogg said:
If you're willing to go that route, I can say that the 2nd Wiimote is an integral part of Wii Play's value as a game.

Actually, Wii Sports is worthless single-player. So basically, Wii Sports makes you buy a second Wiimote which makes you buy Wii Play because you aren't a moron.

Alcibiades

beermonkey@tehbias said:
Actually, Wii Sports is worthless single-player. So basically, Wii Sports makes you buy a second Wiimote which makes you buy Wii Play because you aren't a moron.
The bowling, golf and boxing (as a workout) are alright in single player. Nowhere near as fun, but still alright.

legend166

border said:

Ok, does that mean we shouldn't fully count the sales of all the games sold as collector's editions? I mean, they can usually cost anywhere up to 100 bucks and only $60 is the game!

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
beermonkey@tehbias said:

Really? Tennis and Boxing can be fun in single-player, and Bowling, Baseball and Golf require one Wiimote.

I want a Wii Sports+ for WM+. Boxing+ would be so cool :(.

[EDIT]@squirrel: you missed the more obvious point :p.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Well if Wii Sports isn't the most popular game of the generation, then it is Wii Play.
If we don't count Wii Play because of some fanboy vision, then the most popular game this generation is Wii Fit.
If we don't count Wii Fit, because it is not a game, and people buy it for the balance board and it should be counted as hardware; then the most popular game this gen is Mario Kart Wii.
If we don't count Mario Kart Wii because people buy it for the Wii Wheel, then the most popular game this gen is COD Modern Warfare.

=> COD4 is a non game.

Are people in here arguing that people are buying Wii Play and not the controller?

Not a damn person is buying that game if it doesn't come with a controller and is not an easy up-sell for employees at Best Buy, Gamestop, etc....

Kilrogg said:
Really? Tennis and Boxing can be fun in single-player, and Bowling, Baseball and Golf require one Wiimote.

I want a Wii Sports+ for WM+. Boxing+ would be so cool :(.

[EDIT]@squirrel: you missed the more obvious point :p.
I suppose I did, because I still don't see it.

cakefoo said:
Pretty good tie ratio for PS3 users considering it's been out a year less than 360, and some PS3 owners bought it solely for Blu-ray playback.
lemme try this one out...

Pretty good tie ratio for 360 users considering since it's been out some 360 owners bought a second, third or fourth console solely because of the red rings.

is that how it works?

seriously, the amount of people who bought another 360 because of the red rings or bought a ps3 only for bluray is miniscule.

donny2112

What happened between Wii's month 17 and month 24? There seems to be a slowdown in tie ratio growth which would seem to indicate a MASSIVE surge in hardware sales.

A massive surge in hardware sales. Month 17 was March 2008. That was the first non-holiday month over 700K, which from an historical standpoint is abso-freaking-lutely amazing as no other piece of hardware had gotten > 700K outside of launch or holidays to that point. The Wii now has three months outside of holidays > 700K, and the DS now has one (Jun-08), for reference.

Thanks for getting this data, jvm! :D

Lyude77

Even someone who bought the PS3 just for Blu-Ray would likely buy a few games after they got down to like $10 anyway, wouldn't they? I don't know of many people who would buy a game machine that hate games, regardless of its other functions...

On topic: Pretty good numbers across the board.

donny2112

Lyude77 said:
I don't know of many people who would buy a game machine that hate games, regardless of its other functions...

From my understanding, the PS3 was the most inexpensive Blu-Ray player for a long time post-launch, and it's still the most full featured player at its price. Why wouldn't someone who wants to watch movies, has no interest in games, and wants the best bang for their buck buy a PS3 only for non-gaming purposes?

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I suppose I did, because I still don't see it.

Beermonkey@thebias, even though he talked about the singleplayer modes being boring, was implying that you need a 2nd Wiimote for Wii Sports because it's meant to be played with other people. As I pointed out, only 2 Wii Sports games (Boxing and Tennis) require 2 or more Wiimotes to be played in multiplayer. Golf, Bowling and Baseball can be played with one Wiimote... Wait, no, actually, I think Baseball requires another Wiimote, since someone has to throw the ball... Unless there's a "batting-only" multiplayer mode? I don't remember, to be honest.

Kilrogg said:
Beermonkey@thebias, even though he talked about the singleplayer modes being boring, was implying that you need a 2nd Wiimote for Wii Sports because it's meant to be played with other people. As I pointed out, only 2 Wii Sports games (Boxing and Tennis) require 2 or more Wiimotes to be played in multiplayer. Golf, Bowling and Baseball can be played with one Wiimote... Wait, no, actually, I think Baseball requires another Wiimote, since someone has to throw the ball... Unless there's a "batting-only" multiplayer mode? I don't remember, to be honest.
Ah. My Wii came bundled with an extra Wiimote and nunchuck, so I never noticed.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Its going to be funny when Wii Sports resort is released and it breaks all kinds of records, then maybe people will know that Wii Sports is very popular.

MikeE21286 said:
Are people in here arguing that people are buying Wii Play and not the controller?

Not a damn person is buying that game if it doesn't come with a controller and is not an easy up-sell for employees at Best Buy, Gamestop, etc....
No one's arguing anyone's buying it for the game solely.

But most people are saying it doesn't matter what the intention is, it's still sold as game software with a pack-in accessory.

JKBii

border said:

You have no way of knowing consumers don't enjoy the game. I have gotten more value out of Wii Play than I have out of Metroid Prime 3. Why? Because it's a great collection of minigames that play to the Wii's strengths and I love to switch between that and Wii Sports with my family. I would have paid $50 for it without the pack-in controller, just like I'd buy the next Wii Sportss game even if it wasn't coming with the M+.

Top Bottom