• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Center CX TV series picked up by... Kotaku?!

mollipen

retro_game_master.jpg

Game Center CX - the inspiration for the game that came out over here as Retro Game Challenge - is an awesome show. Centered around Japanese comedian Shinya Arino (of Japanese comedy duo Yoiko), Arino delves into the world of retro gaming, and on every episode his is typically given a particular game and either asked to compete a certain task in it, or outright beat the game. Beyond that, Arino done numerous little side-segments, such as going to arcades recommended to him by viewers, talking to game developers, or other such things.

Up until now, the show had mainly been available to Westerners via either fansubbed or raw downloads scattered around the internet. Now, it seems, Kotaku - yes, THAT Kotaku, as in the gaming news website - has made an official deal to start running the show. The show, under its Western name Retro Game Master, will start next week, and new episodes will hit Kotaku every Thursday night at 8pm EST.

Being that I have absolutely no connection to Kotaku, the only reason I'm shilling this is because this is such a fantastic show, and I'm glad to see it finally get some sort of official English release. I never would have expected it to come via a source like this, but I guess that's the awesome power of the internet.

Kotaku Exclusively Brings Japanese Cult Hit Retro Game Master to the United States
NEW YORK – Gawker Media's influential gaming website Kotaku will be the first media outlet in the United States to air a U.S. version of Japan's wildly successful cult television hit Retro Game Master.
The show, known in Japan as Game Center CX, features comedian Shinya Arino playing Japan's most popular video games – a perfect fit for Kotaku. Kotaku, in partnership with RGM, will feature new episodes made for United States viewers weekly starting in June.

Peter Block's A Bigger Boat helped secure the rights for RGM from Yuko Shiomaki's pictures department. Yuko Shiomaki's pictures department acted as international representative on behalf of rights holder Fuji Television, Japanese international sales agent STYLEJAM, and Producer Tsuyoshi Kan of Gascoin.

Says Block "Watching RGM is addictive...I knew we had something special when we couldn't stop watching our first episodes, and when people would stop for a quick peek and stay for 30 minutes. It's Iron Chef for the Gamers."

Eric Spiegelman of Jetpack Media brokered the deal between Gawker Media and A Bigger Boat.

Retro Game Master will be featured exclusively on Kotaku every Thursday night, posting at 8pm EST, starting June 23, 2011.

Big One

Banned
Does this mean we're getting subtitles with Arino, or just some unknown American gamer playing video games?

Love this show, great news. Hopefully they put these subbed versions on a DVD someday.

Edit: The wording didn't really make sense to me either. I did find this on a elsewhere:

"More details are to come, but Gawker Media has acquired the rights to the show's first 12 episodes—the entire first season—and will stream the series on Kotaku with English subtitles. A new episode will be made available each Thursday at 8 p.m. EST, and Kotaku editor Joel Johnson says they have the ability to show more should things go well with this run."

source: http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2011/06/15/kotaku-to-stream-game-center-cxretro-game-master

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
This is up on the eShop in 3D, quite funny despite I have no idea what's going on.

jett said:
I've never seen this, the description sounds similar to AVGN but without the funnies.

It's not quite like AVGN. It's more like a guy overcoming various challenges. AVGN is a review show.

jett said:
I've never seen this, the description sounds similar to AVGN but without the funnies.

It's much better than AVGN (and not very similar). The guy is absolutely terrible at games, but he marathons them and tries to complete them before a deadline. Watching his struggle is always entertaining.

Big One

Banned
jett said:
The show is like 40 minutes and it's usually a full playthrough of various NES/SNES/Genesis games. It's not really "funny" like AVGN but it is humurous. AVGN's setup is way more cut and has video of levels all over the place making intentional jokes about them.

Ah, so they are subbing it. I was worried that they would just go the lazy route and just show them in Japanese. I'll definitely check it out and hope that it will get really popular and someone will bring Game Center CX 2 to NA someday. Yeah right.

Credo

Now I'll finally know what Ray Barnholt has been in love with for so long. I'll definitely check it out.

M-PG71C

SalsaShark said:
holy shit awesome

now bring the second DS game please

Fuck yeah, that needs to happen!

Kotaku...on one hand, I really don't care nothing for them. It's like watching CNN or Fox News, its total shit.

On the other hand, I have to give credit where its due, and this is where it is due. I'll be watching for sure.

To everyone who's never seen the show before: Trust me guys. This is a good show. I don't like Kotaku and don't want to support them, but I have no choice now. I have to support them by watching the show. It's that good.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
The only unfortunate thing is that the early episodes have already been fansubbed for awhile. There are many seasons of GCCX, so I would gladly follow Kotaku's "airing" if they continue the series for awhile, but I'm worried they'll stop at about 10-20 episodes like the fansubbers did... :p

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I remember watching every bit of it that they put up on Crunchyroll.

It's my favorite videogame show ever.

BocoDragon said:
The only unfortunate thing is that the early episodes have already been fansubbed for awhile. There are many seasons of GCCX, so I would gladly follow Kotaku's "airing" if they continue the series for awhile, but I'm worried they'll stop at about 10-20 episodes like the fansubbers did... :p

I know, but as a gamer, I feel like I have to support the official release now.

BocoDragon

Cow Mengde said:
I know, but as a gamer, I feel like I have to support the official release now.
Me too.. If there's a DVD, I'll buy it. But if it's just the first 12 episodes streaming with fansubs... well... I've seen it already :p But I'd probably load em up just to show interest and support more eps.

BocoDragon

Speaking of Arino....... I want to hear that Scott Pilgrim commentary track he recorded for the Japanese blu-ray....

Not to mention this might (?) help spur sales for Retro Games Challenge for the DS. Maybe garner enough interest for the sequel to come out?

Chairhome

Cow Mengde said:
Wow, I actually have a reason to visit Kotaku now? I feel dirty.
Same with me :-(. I hate Kotaku with a passion (ever since the CAG incident), but I really want to watch this show.
bitter
Sweet.

klee123

My favourites of the early episodes was seeing him tackle Takeshi's Challenge and Super Mario 2 Japan. Awesome episodes there.

Also love it when he goes to a random Arcade.

klee123

Cow Mengde said:
Oh, the Japanese kid who resets the game cause Arino used warps, right?

Yeah, his reaction was awesome. Seriously though, watching that made me buy the game off the VC channel. They weren't lying about the difficulty!. Seeing the kid effortlessly breeze through the levels is nothing short of amazing.

klee123 said:
Yeah, his reaction was awesome. Seriously though, watching that made me buy the game off the VC channel. They weren't lying about the difficulty!. Seeing the kid effortlessly breeze through the levels is nothing short of amazing.

I can barely beat the first game. I suck at platformers.

mollipen

jett said:

So, when you're saying "without the funny", you mean AVGN, right? Because all that show is is a guy finding new ways to say the same stupid expletives. Game Center CX has actual content and value to it, and actually tries to some interesting aspects of the retro gaming scene.

No offense meant to you, but really, I see little appeal in the AVGN stuff.

LiK

jett said:
Sounds interesting, i guess i'll "tune" in.

GCCX is awesome. not only does Arino play all the tough games but he also interviews major people in the industry. plus he visits various arcades all over Japan. you learn alot about Japanese gaming and it's damn funny. my sis doesn't play games and she loves the show because of Arino.

Tain

I liked the subtitled episodes that I saw. Not enough arcade stuff, for obvious reasons, but pretty great.

okay kotaku.

but we're still far from cool!

Top Bottom