• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Center CX TV series picked up by... Kotaku?!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
shidoshi said:
So, when you're saying "without the funny", you mean AVGN, right? Because all that show is is a guy finding new ways to say the same stupid expletives. Game Center CX has actual content and value to it, and actually tries to some interesting aspects of the retro gaming scene.

No offense meant to you, but really, I see little appeal in the AVGN stuff.
Allow me to stand on the "third pillar" and say... I love the hell out of both of them.

ezekial45

Banned
That's pretty cool actually. So far, Destructoid is the only video game blog that has an ongoing series of videos (as far as i know). So it's pretty cool that others are starting to do the same.

Stitch

Gold Member
a friend has send me a few subbed episodes. the takeshi episode was great. that game didn't make sense at all. it was just one big troll-game haha.

Baha

Going by the PR, this is US-only correct? I won't able to watch but I hope those of you who can do, it's great show and while I don't like Kotaku I have to admit this is really cool of them.

BocoDragon

ezekial45 said:
That's pretty cool actually. So far, Destructoid is the only video game blog that has an ongoing series of videos (as far as i know). So it's pretty cool that others are starting to do the same.
And gametrailers... and retroware.tv...

actually there are a million of them.. but the more the merrier.

Baha said:
Going by the PR, this is US-only correct? I won't able to watch but I hope those of you who can do, it's great show and while I don't like Kotaku I have to admit this is really cool of them.
I'd be surprised if they IP locked it. Kotaku's located in the US.. but that doesn't mean everyone else can't watch.

LiK

BocoDragon said:
Oh cool.. looks like he caught up to new episodes very recently. It was behind for awhile.

he even watches all the specials and charity shows. i'm so jealous!

BocoDragon

LiK said:
he even watches all the specials and charity shows. i'm so jealous!
Well I don't think Ray's Japanese is super-advanced (at least I haven't seen any indication of it), and he lives in America... so he's probably downloading them and half understanding them just as you can too :)

LiK

BocoDragon said:
Well I don't think Ray's Japanese is super-advanced (at least I haven't seen any indication of it), and he lives in America... so he's probably downloading them and half understanding them just as you can too :)

i dunno how he gets the shows but i think he knows plenty of japanese.

BocoDragon

LiK said:
i dunno how he gets the shows but i think he knows plenty of japanese.
He's definitely got at least the "elementary school level" you get from a few semesters of Japanese at college.... but maybe he's too modest to show off more.. who knows.

scottnak

Ahhh awesome show. Great stuff :O

Definitely a must watch for those who haven't been graced by it's awesomeness yet.

Get to know all of those ADs well too!

BocoDragon

One thing I love about this show is that you get a sense for the games that Japan really valued in the 80s and 90s. There's some overlap with our treasures (ie Mario).. and then there are things that were HUGE over there but either didn't come here, or were ultra-niche (ie Star Soldier).

I really hope nothing is cut from the episodes. Even the little sections that show every Famicom title or whatever. I hope they don't America-wash it.... It's a glimpse into Japanese retro culture.....

firehawk12

Subete no aware
My favourite segments of the show are we he does random things like visit an arcade or buy a "grab bag" in hopes of getting a good game.

The actual game playing parts are fun too, of course.

Also, I have to go to Kotaku again... damn. :lol:

LiK

BocoDragon said:
One thing I love about this show is that you get a sense for the games that Japan really valued in the 80s and 90s. There's some overlap with our treasures (ie Mario).. and then there are things that were HUGE over there but either didn't come here, or were ultra-niche (ie Star Soldier).

I really hope nothing is cut from the episodes. Even the little sections that show every Famicom title or whatever. I hope they don't America-wash it.... It's a glimpse into Japanese retro culture.....

if it sucks, we can say "well, it's from Kotaku" ;)

scottnak

Though... the VERY first season of GameCenter CX has a really different style compared to season 2+. They even restarted the Episode # count starting from season 2...

Wonder which season they're gonna start from?

This is good news.

scottnak said:
Though... the VERY first season of GameCenter CX has a really different style compared to season 2+. They even restarted the Episode # count starting from season 2...

Probably season 2. Back in '08 two episodes (Atlantis no Nazo and Ghosts 'n Goblins) were shown at NYAFF with a dubbed announcer and subtitled everything else. They were shopping around for a distribution deal but nothing came of it until now. Maybe they had the whole season in the can?

I saw both episodes and they did a pretty good job with it. I think they cut everything but the challenge, though.

Tain said:
I liked the subtitled episodes that I saw. Not enough arcade stuff, for obvious reasons, but pretty great.
Have you seen the ones where he tours the country visiting arcades? No challenges, but I thought they were a lot of fun. There's one episode where he visits a cab wholesaler too and fuck it had me drooling.

bh7812

Banned
Well I'll be damned..While I'm glad the show is finally coming to America, I'm disappointed in HOW it's finally making it. I'd rather get subtitled DVDs than have to watch it online. It's a great show that people should be able to watch at their own pace. My biggest concern with this is they'll have so many episodes up and after a while those will be removed to make room for newer ones. I had suggested this show to several US DVD publishers and I'm disappointed they didn't at least look into it. No, it wouldn't sell millions like a season of a hugely popular TV show but I think it would sell reasonably well with the techy/game crowd. At least enough to make back the money they'd have to invest in it. I'll certainly watch it but just disappointed in how it's being brought to the US. Not to take away from the show, it's brilliant and I've always badly wanted to see the entire series run.

I remember laughing a lot during the Ghost 'n Goblins episode. The parts where Arino goes to arcades are also very cool.

Thanks Kotaku. Finally the words on the back of the Retro Game Challenge instruction Manual are being fulfilled!

Game Center CX is probably one of my favorite shows and I would love to see the whole show subtitled. I wish... it wasn't from kotaku. I hope they offer high quality downloads or something and or get a DVD set published.

And as for the AVGN comparison I also really enjoy the AVGN but definitely not to the same degree. I also would like to add that AVGN is at it's best when he stays away from "making the funnies" and actually reviews. For his best work people should check out the Castlevania 4 parter where he actually reviews a game he enjoys for the most part.

Game Center CX is probably the highest quality show about gaming period.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Awesome!

I saw some officially subbed episodes years back at NYAFF. I heard they were looking for a distributor but I guess that didn't pan out.

Game Center CX! But Kotaku... I hope they don't somehow manage to screw this up.

scottnak said:

The announcement says "new episodes made for United States viewers", which makes it sound like they'll be starting fresh instead of going back to previous seasons. Not completely clear though.

bh7812

Banned
MTMBStudios said:
Game Center CX is probably one of my favorite shows and I would love to see the whole show subtitled. I wish... it wasn't from kotaku. I hope they offer high quality downloads or something and or get a DVD set published.

And as for the AVGN comparison I also really enjoy the AVGN but definitely not to the same degree. I also would like to add that AVGN is at it's best when he stays away from "making the funnies" and actually reviews. For his best work people should check out the Castlevania 4 parter where he actually reviews a game he enjoys for the most part.

Game Center CX is probably the highest quality show about gaming period.

I'm hoping they'll allow the episodes to be downloaded as well. For me they don't even have to be HD I'll take them in SD. If they do I have plenty of room on an external drive to store them all so I can watch them after I get through my backlog which is getting there finally. I have about 4 games left and then I should be good for a while. Kotaku is usually good about allowing their podcasts to be downloaded so I'm hoping it will be the same case for the show. If it had to go the digital only route I wouldn't have minded iTunes either. I buy from there often and have had good experience with them so I'd have bought them that way too.

Tremis

This man does his research.
It's great that someone is finally getting this done. Hopefully it picks up enough steam to get more episodes translated!

My favourite episode is probably when he plays super ghouls and ghosts and encounters the red devil. so funny.

Also, the Solomon's key episode whiteboard was hardcore!

jett

D-Member
Found a few episodes on youtube, it was pretty damned awesome. Watched one about Tokimeki Memorial which was pretty hilarious, and an incomplete Mega Man 3 challenge :| I wish I had known about this show before.

In the episodes shown at NYAFF only the announcer was dubbed. Arino and everyone else was subbed. I'd like to think that'll be the case here too.

Oh wait I said this already.

Tain

Rummy Bunnz said:
Have you seen the ones where he tours the country visiting arcades? No challenges, but I thought they were a lot of fun. There's one episode where he visits a cab wholesaler too and fuck it had me drooling.

Yeah. I specifically remember that a Tekken 4 (I think) cabinet was somehow the price of a new PSP at the time. Ridiculous!

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I've only watched the Atlantis no Nazo episode but I'm really eager to see more. It's great that Kotaku picked this up, but I think G4 totally missed out by not picking this one up.

LiK

jett said:
Found a few episodes on youtube, it was pretty damned awesome. Watched one about Tokimeki Memorial which was pretty hilarious, and an incomplete Mega Man 3 challenge :| I wish I had known about this show before.
Welcome to the promised land. You can find the original fansubs from TVNihon online as well. Theyre fantastic.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
I've watched all the fansubbed episodes and it's great. I will watch again (hopefully past where I've seen already).

But.. not to be a downer.. but getting this and not the DS sequel is just.. infuriating.

they will only ever be one Game Master swish they put on a good tv show in uk about games and not one for kids

gamesmaster.jpg

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
LiK said:
Welcome to the promised land. You can find the original fansubs from TVNihon online as well. Theyre fantastic.
TVN's are NOT fantastic.

thebeeks

Banned
Cautiously optimistic. I've only seen the first two seasons of GameCenterCX and I LOVED it, but what exactly do they mean by "fresh episodes in English"?

I really hope they don't dub the show.

knkng

This is pretty great news, being one of my favourite shows of all time, although I wonder if it'll actually last. I could see them buying a handful of episodes and then just dropping the series afterward. But who knows, maybe it'll somehow become a run-away success in America too. (lol)

BocoDragon said:
I really hope nothing is cut from the episodes.

This concerns me. I've seen every episode to date, and just off the top of my head I can think of many instances that could potentially be licensing nightmares. The music in particular. Japanese reality/variety shows somehow have a way of squeezing 80 songs into a 60 minute program, and GCCX is no exception. I remember an episode where they constantly play "My heart will go on" throughout (most likely that sinking boat game). North America is not cool like Japan that way, someone will complain or sue or whatever.

theultimo

I have every single episode archived, its one of the best series I have ever seen. Knowing some japanese without subs it does help, but honestly, even without a sub, they are fully enjoyable.

FYi - crunk games has an almost complete list, a new one was just aired on Fuji. (whoops, got that one wrong, Bio Senshi DAN)

LayLa

huge fan of this show, even watched the 24 hour Lemmings marathon >.<
really really hope there's no dubbing or cuts

Top Bottom