• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Critics Awards Best of E3 2017: Super Mario Odyssey Best of Show

Ivan 3414

Don't think Odyssey was that impressive but from my view it's the winner here simply because a lot of other games were even less impressive. Spiderman, GoW, Days Gone, Assassin's Creed...very incremental updates to tried and true formulas. Mario at least looks good aesthetically.

Edit: Didn't realize these were for playable only games....makes a bit more sense now

emb

I like and agree with most of these. Mario, Mario + Rabbids, Metroid, and DBZ were standouts for me, so glad to see them all win awards. Especially Odyssey, it had a great showing and it looks really exciting. That's two years where Nintendo shows up with a really stunning title, fingers crossed they can repeat that next year with a Prime title. :D

The original game category feels kinda weird though. Most of the nominees were spinoffs in some way or other. Imo Sea of Thieves probably should have taken it.

Don't think Odyssey was that impressive but from my view it's the winner here simply because a lot of other games were even less impressive. Spiderman, GoW, Days Gone, Assassin's Creed...very incremental updates to tried and true formulas. Mario at least looks good aesthetically.

Edit: Didn't realize these were for playable only games....makes a bit more sense now

GoW is a pretty big shake-up of the formula actually.

seady

Great, next year GOTS to be Metroid Prime 4. Then the Nintendo big 3 will sweep E3 three years in a row.

So happy Mario + Rabbids is getting the praise it deserves. Absolutely a risky concept that everyone was extremely skeptical about, but it looks gorgeous, charming and apparently plays well.

Plus we get it in like 2 months!!!!! Baahhhhhh! (Rabbid noise).

gstaff

Very happy to for Machinegames. Can't wait for everyone to see the full story of The New Colossus unfold. Minds will be blown.

From the other wins, I'm especially excited to play both Mario games.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Best Fighting Game
Dragon Ball FighterZ
(Arc System Works/Bandai Namco Entertainment for PC, PS4, Xbox One)

x5JZ7yI.gif

I thought 2 Mario games within a few months of each other would crowd the IP, but in retrospect they each fill a very different focus. Crazy that Mario + Rabbids won so many awards after the initial leaks / reception.

ajjow

Nintendo is crushing..

But come on, 2017 has been incredible so far.

Sony and Nintendo are releasing so many great games that I really can't catch up.

Bu everyone knows STARFOX2 is the real game of the year.

I knew Rabbids X Mario was gonna be good, no one believed me, BUT I KNEW IT! I cannot WAIT for that game! Sonic Mania AND Rabbids in August, I may call in sick to work!

3D Mario games are almost always pretty amazing.
Especially with Koizumi being fairly involved.

Nintendo is going to struggle in the GOTY votings
since the Nintendo fan vote will be too split with so many amazing games.

Ridley327

I thought 2 Mario games within a few months of each other would crowd the IP, but in retrospect they each fill a very different focus. Crazy that Mario + Rabbids won so many awards after the initial leaks / reception.

It goes to show how important it is to show your game. Honestly, the fact that the reaction to the leak was as polarizing as it was turned out to be the best thing to happen to the game, since it got everyone's attention.

Congrats, looks incredible. Tokyo EPD still masters at what they do.

Super happy for Mario + Rabbids as well. Such a pleasant surprise. :D

DBZ lookin' hype as well!

ToonLink

Mario Odyssey probably would have won either way.

Gurish

Well deserved, both for Mario, Wolfi 2 as best action game and the XBX1 as best hardware.

Still what a weak ass E3 that was.

bionic77

Mario Odyssey was the best trailer I have seen for a game in a long time.

In terms of sheer joy and weirdness I can't think of a better trailer off the top of my head. Most game trailers just try to appear cool. Nintendo went with fucking insanity instead and I loved it.

NSESN

I am loving Botw. But I really want Odyssey to better.of course it would mean SM64 and Galacy levels of quality but I trust Koizumi.

Top Bottom